PDA

View Full Version : Steering Leak, External Hydraulic Ram

cigdaze
01-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Hey fellas,

I discovered I have an ever-so-slight leak coming from my external hydraulic ram. I see a couple drops on the ground where my boat is stored, and a small drop of red fluid dangling from where the piston meets the cylinder.
See photo for location.

I discovered this last night. The boat's been sitting for about 2 weeks, and prior to last night's finding I had no indication of any leaking. This is new.

I wiped everything up at the site of the leak and dried it completely. I fired the steering motor and actuated the steering full left to full right about 50 times. I saw no fluid or leaking. But after it sat all night, I see a drop dangling from the seal there again. Again, it's only like a drop or two on the ground.

The reservoir is full, so there's no major loss of fluid, just a few drops.

Also, the steering behaves perfectly normally and is tight.

(1)Is this something you guy would consider a simple nuisance leak or something more serious to be concerned with?

(2)What's the fluid? I assume it's ATF by look and feel.

Thanks in advance.

BBB725
01-23-2010, 11:45 AM
ATF is what's in mine, You can run it but get it fixed cause if oil can get out salt water can get in.

DAREDEVIL
01-23-2010, 11:56 AM
Salt water will not get it, the only reason oil gets out on a small leak like that is because there is over 1000 PSI on it !!!!!!!

Its an o-ring under the threaded part of the flange. EASY FIX, o-ring u can buy at NAPA !!!! or any hydraulic shop !!!!

cigdaze
01-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

Geronimo36
01-23-2010, 03:00 PM
Salt water will not get it, the only reason oil gets out on a small leak like that is because there is over 1000 PSI on it !!!!!!!

Its an o-ring under the threaded part of the flange. EASY FIX, o-ring u can buy at NAPA !!!! or any hydraulic shop !!!!
Not when the engine is off and you're sitting at the bar having cocktails! ;)

If it were me I'd probably run it for the weekend and keep an eye on the levels but get new seals and scrapers. You can probably do it yourself!:driving:

Good luck, enjoy the weather!

cigdaze
01-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Thanks again. Had a great ride. Alls normal. Were at hula bay. Beautiful out here. Ill get it taken care of tomorrow.

Chris
01-23-2010, 03:39 PM
They don't typically "just go bad". You may have a ding on the shaft somewhere that's cut the wiper. That's alot more than an o-ring in there. Those are double-acting cylinders and they'll have either T-seals or polypaks on the piston and the cap. Will have a wiper in the cap too. You have to be careful not to nick the seal on reassembly- they probabaly have female threads in the cap and if the bore isn't chamfered well on the tube, you can scuff the seal- and it's done. Thake a look at the bores- they need to be free of any longitudinal marks. You can mildly hone them with a brake cylinder hone on a drill but extension. Slow speed, correct cutting oil and fine stones. Then a very thorough cleaning.

DAREDEVIL
01-23-2010, 07:19 PM
I cleaned mine with a scotch brite and it worked perfect. The o-ring right behind the cap was gone on mine ,,,same slow leak !!!

U be amazed how simple a trim cylinder is , once u open it up .LOL

MOBILEMERCMAN
01-23-2010, 09:17 PM
Is it Latham? Give them a call.

GB
01-24-2010, 12:42 AM

Yes...Give'um a call if Latham. Great company to deal with.

Geronimo36
01-24-2010, 08:41 AM
U be amazed how simple a trim cylinder is , once u open it up .LOL

No doubt, I thought the same thing!!!

These are easy by comparison having rebuilt a 10 ft (closed) hydraulic ram for the forklift at the marina! :)

cigdaze
01-24-2010, 11:31 AM
They don't typically "just go bad". You may have a ding on the shaft somewhere that's cut the wiper. That's alot more than an o-ring in there. Those are double-acting cylinders and they'll have either T-seals or polypaks on the piston and the cap. Will have a wiper in the cap too. You have to be careful not to nick the seal on reassembly- they probabaly have female threads in the cap and if the bore isn't chamfered well on the tube, you can scuff the seal- and it's done. Thake a look at the bores- they need to be free of any longitudinal marks. You can mildly hone them with a brake cylinder hone on a drill but extension. Slow speed, correct cutting oil and fine stones. Then a very thorough cleaning.

Many thanks guys.

Chris, the piston is smooth and uniform. I looked it over very carefully at full extension - No scratches, scars, nicks or anything evident.

cigdaze
01-24-2010, 11:32 AM

No. It's a WPM system.

Chris
01-24-2010, 11:38 AM
Not the piston, the rod. Thats where the nicks would be.

cigdaze
01-24-2010, 11:48 AM
Not the piston, the rod. Thats where the nicks would be.

Sorry, that's what I meant - the external visible polished rod at full extension.