PDA

View Full Version : Shortening 35' Cig to 28'

ren3
01-22-2010, 06:36 PM
Dave, I am parting out my 1976 Cigarette Awesome, and am pondering shortening the hull to 28' in a center console configuration. I am guessing that I can shed well over a 1,000 pounds by removing the rear seven feet of this hull and the deck/cockpit fiberglass. The design would look like a 28' Rabco CC as made in Florida. The construction is not an issue as I have built three boats as well as restoring the Cig. I am trying to estimate the finished weight and the power requirements, and I live in Colorado where we are down on power from the start due to altitude. With the new transom I would repower with outboard(s). All new floors and reinforcements would be honey comb to save weight, transom would be muliple layers of 1/4" marine ply with 7108 between each layer for a finished transom thickness of 1 3/4" minimum. and epoxy would be my resin of choice. The interior would be just full flooring with a teak veneer, center console, Superus chairs, and above floor fish box in the forward area, and dry storage anchor locker in the bow. The hull has a brand new 190 gallon IMCO aluminum fuel tank that I would have resized to 100 gallons max. It resides in the center cockpit bilge area. It would be nice to keep this Cig out of a landfill. I will be happy to email you some detailed pictures of the 35 as she now sits. Thanks. Bob Newman.

JFM
01-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Why exactly would you want to do it? I am sure you could sell it and just buy a CC done up nice already. Just wondering.

Offshore Ginger
01-22-2010, 07:05 PM
Why exactly would you want to do it? I am sure you could sell it and just buy a CC done up nice already. Just wondering.

I agree with JFM and Bob why spend all those endless hour's and money when you could just sell the boat and purchase another , and considering you have already restored the Cig and want to start hacking and slashing on the old girl again by making her a 28 . Bob i really hope you have a change of heart .

Ratickle
01-22-2010, 07:11 PM
It would be nice to keep this Cig out of a landfill.

Bob, What are the issues that would cause it to end up there? What might you be asking as is?

ren3
01-22-2010, 10:21 PM
I have advertised this for two years now with power and drives, and a list of custom new items, including the trailer, and have been insulted by the responses from what I judge to people with nothing else to do but waste people's time! Honest to God, I realize that this is in a niche in the market place, but there are just too many flakes out there wasting our good oxygen. Now that I have vented my frustration, I know that Colorado is a little off the offshore boat main street, but I have just come to the conclusion that I have two options; landfill or my metamorphasis into a 28'.

I have sold the 454BBCs, the ss dual ram hydraulic steering, and one of the TRS outdrives. The list of all new components that I have would also work in my proposal.

I enjoy building, so I thought that a conversion would be interesting, not sensible by any means!

The trailer is worth, I believe $4,600, and I would sell the combination for $6,000. The trailer is a Continental triple axle aluminum with surge brakes on two axles rated for 13,000 lbs.

I really appreciate your kind responses, and I would love to find a home for Almost Overkill. By he way the ss bow rail I had fabricated in Seattle. The windshield I had made in Vancouver, BC. The interior was redone with honey comb curved bulkheads, shore power, two burner range with oven, freash water and sink, icebox, etc.

Thanks again, and hopefully someone as crazy as me needs a project. Bob N.

Ratickle
01-22-2010, 10:33 PM
I have advertised this for two years now with power and drives, and a list of custom new items, including the trailer, and have been insulted by the responses from what I judge to people with nothing else to do but waste people's time! Honest to God, I realize that this is in a niche in the market place, but there are just too many flakes out there wasting our good oxygen. Now that I have vented my frustration, I know that Colorado is a little off the offshore boat main street, but I have just come to the conclusion that I have two options; landfill or my metamorphasis into a 28'.

I have sold the 454BBCs, the ss dual ram hydraulic steering, and one of the TRS outdrives. The list of all new components that I have would also work in my proposal.

I enjoy building, so I thought that a conversion would be interesting, not sensible by any means!

The trailer is worth, I believe $4,600, and I would sell the combination for $6,000. The trailer is a Continental triple axle aluminum with surge brakes on two axles rated for 13,000 lbs.

I really appreciate your kind responses, and I would love to find a home for Almost Overkill. By he way the ss bow rail I had fabricated in Seattle. The windshield I had made in Vancouver, BC. The interior was redone with honey comb curved bulkheads, shore power, two burner range with oven, freash water and sink, icebox, etc.

Thanks again, and hopefully someone as crazy as me needs a project. Bob N.

Put it in the classifieds for free, let's see what we can drum up. An interesting project it would be......:sifone:

ANd I really like it when you say not sensible by any means......

JFM
01-22-2010, 10:39 PM
I think it would sell, maybe without the trailer but it would sell. It is tough to move projects especially for a price but they will move if you are willing too.

Craney
01-22-2010, 10:43 PM
If you cut it up you better love it becouse you will NEVER sell that way.:eek:

glassdave
01-23-2010, 12:01 AM
Something to keep in mind with shortening that boat is you will loose most of the running surface and be left with a very large amount of rocker from the bow rise. The bow starts its rise about at about fifteen feet or so from the transom and you'll loose most of that in the shortening process. Its a tremendous roll of the dice weather that would even work.

I understand you dillema and even your reasoning for looking into the option but not so sure this is a good solution.

Buoy
01-23-2010, 12:25 AM
I'm not in any position to be shopping for something like this (I have a project of my own).
But, just for the record, is the hull solid and sound?
For $6K, for both the hull and trailer, sounds like an affordable project for someone.

ren3
01-23-2010, 01:32 PM
The hull, deck, floors, and trailer are all completely sound. It has the new 1" ss custom bow rail, new windshield, new engines hatches with intake scoops, three new Bomar translucent deck hatches, all new cleats and chocks, new consoles for the helm and passenger side controls, and new IMCO custom aluminum fuel tank.

I will post it on the classifieds this weekend. Many thanks. Bob N.

MarylandMark
01-23-2010, 01:39 PM
I'd think you could donate it and get at least that back on a tax return?

ren3
01-24-2010, 03:14 PM
The boat and trailer are listed in the classifieds! Thanks for your input. There is no way to control the value of a charitable donation as the value depends on what the charity sells the item for.

Dave, thanks for the input on the deadrise issue. I had looked at this and it seems that there is at least eight feet of straight keel before the bottom starts to curve upward. With the cg aft due to fuel, outboard engines and console, I think that there would be enough for good stability. I would also have K-plane 280 tabs as I have a new set of these. I would also decrease the free board by about six inches from transom to bow to save weight and have a better floor depth from the gunwales.

I am taking the good advice and trying to find a home for this piece of history as opposed to modifying the hull. Thanks. Bob.

Ratickle
01-24-2010, 03:17 PM
I looked at the pics and can't tell, is it staggered or not?

Chris
01-24-2010, 03:39 PM
I've never seen a staggerd Awesome. I had Mark Donohue's Sunoco boat with 3's and turbo engines and it was a side-by-side.

ren3
01-24-2010, 04:38 PM
It is not staggered. The engines mount on 34" centers side by side. It had 370HP 454BBC Mercruisers and TRS drives. The front engine mounts go with the hull.

ren3
01-28-2010, 02:06 PM
Well I have had no responses since I listed the Cig in the classifieds. I had a great talk with Dave concerning my original plan to shorten the hull by 6.5-7' last evening. Dave suggested that I get in touch with "Brownie" or "Top Banana" as they were involved with Don Aronow when my hull was built in 1976. If anyone can facilitate this I would appreciate the help. Bottom line is that I still have a pretty straight keel for about 12' from the transom forward before the stem starts to sweep up to the bow. This will be a center console with twin 225 outboards, 100 gallon fuel tank, and a fairly rearward center console location so my cg will be about at 30% forward of the transom. I will also have 280 K-planes, so I still think that I have a good chance for a well performing hull, and my anticipated top speed will only be 50mph as we have a 40 mph speed limit on all waters in Colorado.

Also I have two new fiberglass engine hatches with air scoops if anyone is interested. These should fit other Awesomes and Mistresses too. Thanks.

old377guy
01-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Hey Ren,
I wouldn't expect many responses just yet (5 days). You should be able to reach Top Banana on this site or on the HORBA site. Good luck - Jeff

phragle
01-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Brownie checks in here too.... and either will be able to get hold of the other.

Trim'd Up
01-28-2010, 06:18 PM
If you're really wanting to sell it give it till spring at least. Not the best time to sell a boat right now.

ren3
01-28-2010, 06:44 PM
Thanks to Brownie and Top Banana for their expert advice not to attempt what I was contemplating. My plan would disrupt the designed function of the bottom shape, so I will just wait on a buyer. Many thanks. Bob N.

Offshore Ginger
01-28-2010, 07:57 PM
Bob just curious are the hatches still for sale because i would be interested in using then for a little project .:sifone:

glassdave
01-28-2010, 08:37 PM
Thanks to Brownie and Top Banana for their expert advice not to attempt what I was contemplating. My plan would disrupt the designed function of the bottom shape, so I will just wait on a buyer. Many thanks. Bob N.

I figured if anyone knew that hull they would :cool:

now . . . . . how bout an 82 inch cat project.:D This is that one i was telling you about. Its set up for the MHZ Trimax :cool:

Got the pic of your scale V hull, pretty sweet rig

phragle
01-28-2010, 08:51 PM
Dave... you make that???

Offshore Ginger
01-28-2010, 09:35 PM
Dave , just curious who is the ugly dude standing next to the part .:huh::rofl::seeya:

glassdave
01-28-2010, 10:06 PM
Dave , just curious who is the ugly dude standing next to the part .:huh::rofl::seeya:

not me, it actually is a member though. :sifone:

ren3
01-29-2010, 01:16 PM
Dave, I love the cat. Thanks so much for your help. I may have an offer on the 35 Awesome and trailer. Want to trade a cat hull for a 73" Cigarette hull? Bob.