PDA

View Full Version : Cowes classic

THUNDERBOLT
01-21-2010, 12:24 PM
Charly
have just spotted posting that you are confirming arrival for 2010 can you confirm this as I am still waiting for Barry to visit London and that he is bringing GHOST RIDER over.

Mike
COPOC

www.classicoffshore.com
The American Classics are Coming to Ireland & Cowes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The American Classics are Coming to Ireland and then Cowes.

Things are hotting up for the classics in Around Ireland 2010.

We now have 3 confirmed entries from the US.
Charlie Mc Carthy (He of Cork heritage) and CEO of HORBA, The Historical Offshore Race Boat Association of America has been in touch to confirm that they wil be bringing 3 very famous boats to our shores.

These are Dry Martini, Ghost Rider, and Benihana.

Benihana is a 35 Cigarette boat owned by Charlie and has quite a pedigree.

Benihana A short history:
Last offshore race boat that Don Aronow ever built for himself.
Raced as SPIRIT by Hal Sahlman- won Bushmills Offshore race 1975
Raced as BENIHANA by Rocky Aoki - won Bushmills Offshore race 1976
Presently owned by Charlie McCarthy who won the last Bushmills race in 1979.

Second is Dry Martini.
This boat is a 35 Cigarette also and has just finished a major restoration over in the U.S. and is ready to go. This boat was owned and driven by the World Champion in 1974. Dr Carlo Bonomi. This boat competed in the Cowes race before in the 70's.

And last but by no means least we have Ghost Rider, the famous Souter built 1966 Cowes winner.

Looks like Marcus Hendricks and Cinzano could have some competition for the Around Ireland and Cowes this year.

Top Banana
01-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Mike

Just got confirmation from Barry a couple of days ago. He is back in the States for a short time at present.

We plan on coming as the HORBA team to The Around Ireland Race in June.....then on to a showing of the boats at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in July in England and finally to the 50th running of the Cowes Torquay race in August.

Boats will be: Ghost Rider - Dry Martini - Benihana

I may be in Ireland in a couple of weeks. If I get a chance maybe I can swing over for a day or two to finalize the Cowes plans.

Black Tornado
01-21-2010, 05:59 PM
Second is Dry Martini.
This boat is a 35 Cigarette also and has just finished a major restoration over in the U.S. and is ready to go. This boat was owned and driven by the World Champion in 1974. Dr Carlo Bonomi. This boat competed in the Cowes race before in the 70's.

A precisation;the Dry Martini 35' has never raced in Europe and in a Cowes race of the seventies.

Top Banana
01-21-2010, 11:09 PM
A precisation;the Dry Martini 35' has never raced in Europe and in a Cowes race of the seventies.

Thanks Marco....I'll send them a note for a correction, they must have been thinking of the 36 footer.