PDA

View Full Version : Just an idea...

phragle
01-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Would it be possible to have a seperate section in the 'lounge' entitled politics? This is afterall a boating site. While it encompasses much more than that as we all enjoy various things, we are experiencing growth as a boating destination on the web. These new people are coming from sites looking for something new and different, while getting away from some of the ugliness of other places. Without taking sides or presenting an opinion to the left right or center, these political posts are for lack of a better term getting 'ugly'. I am not against politcal discussion, I just think if it's going to be here, we should make a place for it so it does not contaminate the rest of the site.

Ratickle
01-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Would it be possible to have a seperate section in the 'lounge' entitled politics? This is afterall a boating site. While it encompasses much more than that as we all enjoy various things, we are experiencing growth as a boating destination on the web. These new people are coming from sites looking for something new and different, while getting away from some of the ugliness of other places. Without taking sides or presenting an opinion to the left right or center, these political posts are for lack of a better term getting 'ugly'. I am not against politcal discussion, I just think if it's going to be here, we should make a place for it so it does not contaminate the rest of the site.

That's what the bar is for. Anything non-boating.

DollaBill
01-20-2010, 08:30 PM
OMG thats the greatest idea I've heard around here in a while. I can't stand the politics threads

Chris
01-20-2010, 08:34 PM
OSO just did that very same thing. And we discussed it

phragle
01-20-2010, 08:38 PM
That's what the bar is for. Anything non-boating.

True... but I offer for example, smoking. if a great number of people don't smoke and the bar they go to is filled enough smoke to make you choke and your eyes water, that bar is not very hospitable. Now if that bar had a seperate smoking patio or seperate smoking and non smoking sections complete with smokeaters, that bar would be a much more friendly and welcoming place. I'm not trying to ban smoking, just trying to change things so that nonsmokers, smokers and occasional smokers find the bar a comfortable place to hang out.

phragle
01-20-2010, 08:39 PM
Chris, I do not have sufficient privilages to view the link you posted.

MarylandMark
01-20-2010, 08:45 PM
Chris, I do not have sufficient privilages to view the link you posted.

Ditto, which I think is unfair... :smash:

cigdaze
01-20-2010, 08:54 PM
A fine idea it is, thanks for suggesting it. As a matter of fact we have just discussed this topic.

However, we have more or less come to the conclusion that this is precisely for which we have created the bar.. It is the "miscellaneous," and/or "other" section - this encompasses politics.

If we followed the segregation route, we can sub-divide and split that section into dozens of sections ad nauseum, which wouldn't be productive.

It's kind of nice seeing all of the "other" topics in one consolidated location.

Rather that subvert one subset of topics or another, we have taken on the approach that we'd like to see everything and anything out in the open - fair game so to speak - for open and civil discussion. If that doesn't happen, we'll deal with it.

What we have tasked ourselves with is attempting to guide and 'officiate' the conversation instead of burying it. And we encourage all of our valued members to take an active roll in this regard if so so choose. It behooves us all to maintain order.

If this is abused and/or if it becomes a problem for certain individuals, we call in the bar bouncers - and we'd like to deal with that on a one-one basis and not impact the entire membership.

Chris
01-20-2010, 08:58 PM
The politics threads are pretty apparent. And I don't see any real value in making the site more difficult to navigate to shield people from seeing the titles. Most use the "new posts" button anyway and you see them then.

It's not up to me to tell people what they should be interested in. And judging by the posting counts and views, people find them interesting- or at least entertaining.

That's just one man's viewpoint- if I'm missing something, go ahead and change my thinking on the subject.

DollaBill
01-20-2010, 08:59 PM
All of your points are valid and I completely understand your reasoning Nick and Chris. It does suck though. The political threads are def overshadowing the important topics like giant tv's, redneck "hold-my-beer-watch-this" videos and of course MarylandMarks manhood debates :)

Ratickle
01-20-2010, 09:00 PM
All of your points are valid and I completely understand your reasoning Nick and Chris. It does suck though. The political threads are def overshadowing the important topics like giant tv's, redneck "hold-my-beer-watch-this" videos and of course MarylandMarks manhood debates :)

You forgot your drinking and strip bar overviews......:sifone:

DollaBill
01-20-2010, 09:10 PM
Outstanding overview Rat

ImaPoser
01-20-2010, 09:11 PM
The politics threads are pretty apparent. And I don't see any real value in making the site more difficult to navigate to shield people from seeing the titles.

The problem is most of the political thread titles are worded in a way that is easily understood bashing. There's people out there who want to actually read and talk about performance boating without having to be reminded of the **** slinging that goes on in the bar forum.

Most use the "new posts" button anyway and you see them then.

True, and on one of the other sites I frequent, they have it so the off topic forum does not come up in the result when you hit new posts. Uses the same software as this place, I can't imagine it would be very hard to do.

Ratickle
01-20-2010, 09:13 PM
True, and on one of the other sites I frequent, they have it so the off topic forum does not come up in the result when you hit new posts. Uses the same software as this place, I can't imagine it would be very hard to do.

SO you can block sections from coming up in your new posts inquiry? Is it in the setup of your membership?

MarylandMark
01-20-2010, 09:15 PM
and of course MarylandMarks manhood debates

Funny guy...

Politics are hot right now and it is Winter- IMHO those threads will die down sooner than later and we can get back to helping me figure out which closet system is the best.

OldSchool
01-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Ditto, which I think is unfair... :smash:

Mark,
Sometimes, life is just not fair!:D :sifone::cheers2:

phragle
01-20-2010, 09:17 PM
It's not up to me to tell people what they should be interested in. And judging by the posting counts and views, people find them interesting- or at least entertaining.

That's just one man's viewpoint- if I'm missing something, go ahead and change my thinking on the subject.

Controlling peoples interests was not my intent in the least. My intent was to try and make the site a little more appealing and managable. I don't consider myself much more different than the rest (though most of you would like to see me commited to an institution), but ideally for me if politics were a seperate area,and I could check a box removing that area from th 'new posts" search, I would do it in a heartbeat. I strongly suspect I am not alone.

phragle
01-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Funny guy...

Politics are hot right now and it is Winter- IMHO those threads will die down sooner than later and we can get back to helping me figure out which closet system is the best.

MM..as long as stay in the closet, I wil send you 3 rolls of pink flowered contact paper to line the shelves with... :sifone:

ImaPoser
01-20-2010, 09:26 PM
SO you can block sections from coming up in your new posts inquiry? Is it in the setup of your membership?

No. It's done by the management. We had this same debate over there five years ago. As the site grew, there was no way you could get through all the 'new posts' as the traffic increased. Those that wanted to just see the on topic stuff with a new posts search won out, and they kicked all the off topic stuff out. Eventually, they added a second search button next to the new posts one just for the off topic new posts. Works great.
They have also split up the off topic forum. It started with just the politics and religion, but it worked so well there's now five different off topic sub forums and it works just fine.
That forum has over 120,000 members, and 11 million posts. Having the **** slinging separated from the useful information cause the site to grow exponentially.

DollaBill
01-20-2010, 09:33 PM
What site has 120,000 members???? just curious wow.

ImaPoser
01-20-2010, 09:36 PM

http://www.advrider.com/

This place has 4700 members. They have 4000 online at one time pretty often. Talk about traffic. :eek:

MarylandMark
01-20-2010, 09:38 PM
http://board.flashkit.com/board/ Posts: 3,616,689, Members: 637,378
http://www.hardforum.com/ Posts: 9,500,874, Members: 130,236
http://board.rapmusic.com/vb Posts: 7,659,947, Members: 157,847

cigdaze
01-20-2010, 10:16 PM

Users Registered: 536,532
www.ford-trucks.com

cigdaze
01-20-2010, 10:16 PM

I think I need to resurrect my "moron of the week" threads.
I need more comedy.

Perlmudder
01-20-2010, 11:02 PM
antsmarching.org - strictly dmb website
Threads: 235,435, Posts: 10,211,075, Members: 193,508

fund razor
01-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Post on those and bring them to the top.

I have to think twice about doing anything that OSO does. The fact that they moved all of Tex and Cat's posts to one spot doesn't increase my desire to move all of Steve1 and BillR's posts to a specific spot.

The beauty of the forum setup is that the user can choose which threads to follow. I haven't been reading much of the political stuff at all... so the fact that it is sitting there doesn't bother me. In fact, when you don't click on them... the political crazy nonsense threads are barely annoying.
They should have a special section in the real bar for ugly chicks, but they don't... so I have to avert my eyes. Oh well.

DollaBill
01-21-2010, 02:25 PM
i think i need to resurrect my "moron of the week" threads.
I need more comedy.

+1

Ted
01-21-2010, 02:36 PM
The reason I would not like to divide it up is threefold. I don't want to have a section that nobody other than 2-3 people visit, and where there is nothing but sh&t slingng 24/7. I would also HOPE that anyone that posts in political topics realizes that the rest of the board can see it and may actually sit across a table or next to them at a bar at some point, so being civil is a decent idea. Finally I would hope that it would give anyone the opportunity to see a topic they feel strongly about and discuss it, rationally, without having to put on pads and a cup just to wade in. Rather than make a playpen for a few troublemakers I would simply rather put them out the door and let the wolves eat them :seeya::seeya:

jayboat
01-21-2010, 03:09 PM
The reason I would not like to divide it up is threefold. I don't want to have a section that nobody other than 2-3 people visit, and where there is nothing but sh&t slingng 24/7. I would also HOPE that anyone that posts in political topics realizes that the rest of the board can see it and may actually sit across a table or next to them at a bar at some point, so being civil is a decent idea. Finally I would hope that it would give anyone the opportunity to see a topic they feel strongly about and discuss it, rationally, without having to put on pads and a cup just to wade in. Rather than make a playpen for a few troublemakers I would simply rather put them out the door and let the wolves eat them :seeya::seeya:

Well put, Ted. :USA:

phragle
01-21-2010, 03:17 PM
Ted, once again amidst the clutter you have made sense.

Ratickle
01-22-2010, 07:20 AM

Well put, Ted. :USA:

Ted, once again amidst the clutter you have made sense.

That's why he's the Lord of the Mods".......:)

Very well put Ted.

Chris
01-22-2010, 10:16 AM
I think I need to resurrect my "moron of the week" threads.
I need more comedy.

Remember "Hot or Not"? That needs to come back too. We need someone fairly tuned into pop culture to handle that one.

jayboat
01-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Give me moderater privledges for one hour and I'll fix everything. :smash:

Chris
01-22-2010, 10:52 AM

That reminds me of a friend I have in a retail business.

His favorite expression is "this would be a great business if it weren't for the customers".

cigdaze
01-22-2010, 11:03 AM
Remember "Hot or Not"? That needs to come back too. We need someone fairly tuned into pop culture to handle that one.
Those made for some classic posts.

Ratickle
01-22-2010, 06:53 PM

Ahhhhh, bet you can't ban just one......:sifone:

DollaBill
01-22-2010, 07:13 PM
That reminds me of a friend I have in a retail business.

His favorite expression is "this would be a great business if it weren't for the customers".

I used to tell that to people every weekend at the marina LOL

I'll be the hot or not moderator. I'm a total metro. I know whats going on all the time. Gimme a shot

Ted
01-23-2010, 01:17 PM
I used to tell that to people every weekend at the marina LOL

I'll be the hot or not moderator. I'm a total metro. I know whats going on all the time. Gimme a shot

Bill, it's simple, go out there and grab 2 pics of hot/semi hot celebs and post up, then we all vote. Please try to make them all women:sifone::sifone:

DollaBill
01-23-2010, 01:40 PM
done. hang on

JupiterSunsation
01-23-2010, 11:07 PM
Users Registered: 536,532
www.ford-trucks.com

yeah they just want to know how to make their diesels run like Duramaxes!:bump: