PDA

View Full Version : M3 Procharger Fuel Pump

SKRAMER
01-20-2010, 09:31 AM
Which fuel pump and regulator are you guys using with the M3SC prochargers? Thanks Scott

YoungPerformance
01-20-2010, 03:20 PM
I assume this is efi. Weldon has come out with a new series of pumps that are out of sight. They are very affordable and very quiet. They have a A-600 for up to 600hp efi and an A1100, for up to 1200 hp efi. You would need the A1100. I have used a few and am very happy with them. Here is a link to that pump.
Eddie

http://www.weldonracing.com/product/64-6/1100-A_Flow_Through_Fuel_Pump.html

SKRAMER
01-20-2010, 03:45 PM
I'm Carborated will the A1100 still work?

YoungPerformance
01-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Yes, it will, along as you use a bypass style regulator and return it back to the tank. I would do that with any pump so you do not deadhead the pump. It's really hard on them.
Eddie

Bilgerat
01-20-2010, 11:46 PM
Agree return to the tank if that is easy, If you have to go back in line with filter where the bypassed fuel could run a constant loop then yuo need to put it through a cooler. I have only used the Aeromotive pumps, however that is what ProCharger has always used and the two companies are nearby both in Kansas City. Love the ProCharger, have done a few different setups, I may have a bunch of pulleys depending on your setup, if you need something. A buddy has a Cafe with a pair of 502's M3'SC and Carb Shop Carburetors, pretty nice, I think i have some pictures somewhere, He recently switched to carb hats instead of the box, and has big race blowoff valves, all v band clamped together its cool. good luck with your project, Jason

SKRAMER
01-21-2010, 09:30 AM
Agree return to the tank if that is easy, If you have to go back in line with filter where the bypassed fuel could run a constant loop then yuo need to put it through a cooler. I have only used the Aeromotive pumps, however that is what ProCharger has always used and the two companies are nearby both in Kansas City. Love the ProCharger, have done a few different setups, I may have a bunch of pulleys depending on your setup, if you need something. A buddy has a Cafe with a pair of 502's M3'SC and Carb Shop Carburetors, pretty nice, I think i have some pictures somewhere, He recently switched to carb hats instead of the box, and has big race blowoff valves, all v band clamped together its cool. good luck with your project, Jason

Can you get more info on your buddies Cafe. Is he on the board I would love to talk to him. How he did his return line? did he have to change the fuel pick-up? Ect.. Thanks Scott

SCARAB3DMC
01-21-2010, 10:12 AM
Can you get more info on your buddies Cafe. Is he on the board I would love to talk to him. How he did his return line? did he have to change the fuel pick-up? Ect.. Thanks Scott

dude call me...been there done that... WTF are you doing ????

Bilgerat
01-21-2010, 11:28 AM
His initial setup, comes out the tank through a separator, into Aeromotive A1000 pump, Bypass style Aeromotoive Boost referenced regulator, Two lines up to the carb, bypass line goes through a cooler mounted under the engine, and comes back into the systemthru a T right before teh pump, This fuel has allready been filtered. Actually I think he has since up graded his filter housing to a higher flow unit. The pickups are still stock. Just be sure you don't have a restrictive Anti-siphon valve in there. Fuel delivery is key, And depending on where you put your pressure gauge you may see great pressure with out enough volume and cause an issue. ProChargers or any centrifugal blower are super efficient and work well if set up properly, Any horror stories I have ever heard are a result of inadequate, fuel delivery, spark timing, or general tune. Here is an old pic of his stuff. Since been solid piped with all v- band clamps, and he switched to carb hats, these top boxes he made himself to make it easier to adj the carb without removing from box. There are also large cigarette logo shaped covers that cover the whole set up.

SKRAMER
01-21-2010, 11:44 AM
His initial setup, comes out the tank through a separator, into Aeromotive A1000 pump, Bypass style Aeromotoive Boost referenced regulator, Two lines up to the carb, bypass line goes through a cooler mounted under the engine, and comes back into the systemthru a T right before teh pump, This fuel has allready been filtered. Actually I think he has since up graded his filter housing to a higher flow unit. The pickups are still stock. Just be sure you don't have a restrictive Anti-siphon valve in there. Fuel delivery is key, And depending on where you put your pressure gauge you may see great pressure with out enough volume and cause an issue. ProChargers or any centrifugal blower are super efficient and work well if set up properly, Any horror stories I have ever heard are a result of inadequate, fuel delivery, spark timing, or general tune. Here is an old pic of his stuff. Since been solid piped with all v- band clamps, and he switched to carb hats, these top boxes he made himself to make it easier to adj the carb without removing from box. There are also large cigarette logo shaped covers that cover the whole set up.
Thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Chris
01-21-2010, 12:17 PM
The challenge on an older boat is the return line to the tank. I saw one setup where the person teed the return into the vent line. Had all sorts of problems leaning the motors out- I'm shocked he didn't smoke something.

I've done tees in the fuel inlets to the tanks. Works well.

SKRAMER
01-21-2010, 12:34 PM
The challenge on an older boat is the return line to the tank. I saw one setup where the person teed the return into the vent line. Had all sorts of problems leaning the motors out- I'm shocked he didn't smoke something.

I've done tees in the fuel inlets to the tanks. Works well.

I'm going to have to figure that one out for sure. My tanks have crossovers so I can run both engine off one tank if needed. I was thinking about using one of those holes and getting rid of the crossover on the tanks. Thoughts??

Chris
01-21-2010, 12:36 PM
Teeing into the tank fill lines is easy. All you do is cut the hose and stick the piece in. And you don't lose any functionality.

Bilgerat
01-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Back straight into the tank would be best, gives the fuel a chance to cool, before being eaten by the pump again. and I agree teeing in the lines is easy however that is three more areas for leaks, and your dumping a near constant supply of fuel through that inlet hose, WHich should be fine but why do it if you can go through a fitting into the tank. Its also nice to have a nice smooth fuel fill hose for filling your tanks, hopefully the fuel slides right down and you don't get back ups, making filling your tanks faster and cleaner.

Chris
01-21-2010, 04:40 PM
Obviously if the tank has return fittings that's the way to go. But that's a rarity. And done properly, teeing into the fuel fill line presents no more restriction that the fill neck on the tank. Most times you have no choice- unless you want to saw out the floor and pull the tank for replacement.

Any time I hear someone talking about tank replacement I always tell them to get a pair of extra bungs welded into the top.

showtime83
01-21-2010, 10:59 PM
http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=980

that is what i was going to use, i am not trying to get off topic, but where would you suggest to put the tee in to return it back to the tank?

Chris
01-21-2010, 11:07 PM
Ideally right at the tank inlet. But it could go just about anywhere. I don't think I'd want it too close to the filler neck. The pump would be bypassing it's max at idle and if you opened a fill while idling and it was up high, you'd probably get slosh.

SKRAMER
01-22-2010, 08:36 AM
Must be alot of fuel that get returned to the tank. Guess i didn't realize it was that much..

Chris
01-22-2010, 08:54 AM
It's the full output of the pump less the amount the engine consumes. The pumps being talked about are about 2 gallons per minute You'll probably consume 1/2 gal per minute per engine at max power. Multiply by two and you'll have 3 gpm on the return. That's about what your kitchen faucet puts out. Or look at it this way, a showerhead is only permitted to flow 2.5 gpm.

Yeah- alot.

SCARAB3DMC
01-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Must be alot of fuel that get returned to the tank. Guess i didn't realize it was that much..

i TOLD YOU I DONE THAT.. I'll come over and drill them holes !!!

FULL FORCE
01-23-2010, 12:24 AM
Remember the amount LE has learned... is fuel system is more then enough...no issues..

SKRAMER
01-27-2010, 03:10 PM
Do you think you can get some more pics of the way he set his procharges up on his Cafe? Thanks Scott

LittleDcsRodShop
03-27-2010, 01:12 AM
I would love to see the cafe pics as well.. I'm in the midst of a carbureted centrifugal build & parts gathering expedition myself..:sifone: