PDA

View Full Version : Methane / ICE injection systems?

NJgr8ful
11-17-2008, 02:48 PM
Methanol/Meth/ICE Injection

Opinions? Facts? Anyone else running this system or researched it?

Sounds like something def. worth checking out from couple folks I've spoken to that are running it.

LAKE EFFECT
11-18-2008, 06:53 AM
Snow Performance is one of the leaders in Methanol injection. They have a couple of kits/stages that they sell, the best being stage 2 with an electronic adjustable programmer(around $425). I have talked to them about an automotive application(non intercooled Vortech Mustang), and the system will definetly help performance and reliability. My boat is an intercooled Procharger application, so the meth wont really help me. If your not intercooled, I would give them a call. You might be able to run just one unit, since it comes with a high volume pump, it should be able to supply 2 motors(if running twins?). You can run windshield washer fluid(30% meth,70%water, $2/gal))or there boost juice(50/50, $7/gal). The meth adds octane to your fuel, and the water cools the charge. It lets you run more timing, safely and removes around 60degrees from the air charge. The windshield fluid will work fine, keeping costs down, but you will go thru a good amount of it under boost so you will need to engineer a bigger tank(kit come w/3qt tank) for a marine application.

LE

OldSchool
11-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Stay away from the Methane!!!!:sifone::sifone:

NJgr8ful
11-18-2008, 11:07 PM
Snow Performance is one of the leaders in Methanol injection. They have a couple of kits/stages that they sell, the best being stage 2 with an electronic adjustable programmer(around $425). I have talked to them about an automotive application(non intercooled Vortech Mustang), and the system will definetly help performance and reliability. My boat is an intercooled Procharger application, so the meth wont really help me. If your not intercooled, I would give them a call. You might be able to run just one unit, since it comes with a high volume pump, it should be able to supply 2 motors(if running twins?). You can run windshield washer fluid(30% meth,70%water, $2/gal))or there boost juice(50/50, $7/gal). The meth adds octane to your fuel, and the water cools the charge. It lets you run more timing, safely and removes around 60degrees from the air charge. The windshield fluid will work fine, keeping costs down, but you will go thru a good amount of it under boost so you will need to engineer a bigger tank(kit come w/3qt tank) for a marine application.

LE
Great info LE thanks :cool:

I am not intercooled & w/twin application. The guys I know are running Meth & distilled water mixes. Ques? why would 50/50 be $7/gal, if 30/70 is only $2/gal? Doing my math, for whatever that's worth LOL :rolleyes: the 50/50 mix should be <$4/gal :confused:

Anyway, I like the whole idea of cooler temps (have never run intercoolers) & more boost, or HP gains, per dollar than pretty much any upgrade I can think of. I thought I would need(??) to run 2 injection units(??) and planned on doing that off a single tank (I've also heard dual tanks 1 ea motor) to feed both my motors & something in the 10-15gals capacity range to cover some range & nice runs.

Are there any real risky or other down sides to this ... I mean other than leaning out (running out) of Meth, of course!?? As you can see, I am just beginning to explore this stuff and reaching out for all info I can get. Definitely will tap all sources provided, including Snow, before making move, but sounds very promising IMO. :driving:

NJgr8ful
11-18-2008, 11:14 PM
Stay away from the Methane!!!!:sifone::sifone:

Yeah, that could be real dangerous :eek: :D :sifone:

I was a little hesitant of this too Craig, but Google searches brought up Methane as correct terminology?!? ... who knows??? :26: http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=BDBSTCL1&c=PE&year=&make=&model=

LAKE EFFECT
11-19-2008, 07:39 AM
Snow performance sells what they call boost juice(50/50), and Summit racing sells it for around $7 a gallon. As long as you buy windshield washer fluid that is rated to -20, you will get the 30/70 mix. Snow claims more potential with there mix, but says you can run the 30/70 mix with good results. As for one kit, thats just a guess. I'll bet the pump is big enough to supply both motors, but you would be using only 1 controller, and the 2nd motor will be getting its meth from the boost reference of the 1st motor(2 kits would probabally be best).

I did ask if there is a potential to damage a engine. I was told that if you over inject, you will just kill the combustion and cause a miss. The system/pump injects at over 150psi, which gives good atomization, so hydraulicing the motor shouldnt be a concern.

I plan on running it on my 89 Mustang(351,fuel injected,Vortech,12psi+), and all the Ford magazines give the Snow kits good reviews. Snow claims they have a lot of fleet diesel customers as well. The Snow tech I talked to was very knowledgable. I would give them a call and pick there brains on a marine application.

LE

smittyseng
11-21-2008, 02:39 AM
What we are talking about is adding METHANOL Alcohol to your engines via a spray system to cool the intake charge and boost octane. You can buy bulk methanol in 55 gallon drums for around 150$ a drum wholesale. Keep in mind Methanol is highly corrosive to certain metals/alloys and can cause pitting,galling,accelerated wear and component failure,Smitty

HotPursuit
12-04-2008, 11:19 PM
What we are talking about is adding METHANOL Alcohol to your engines via a spray system to cool the intake charge and boost octane. You can buy bulk methanol in 55 gallon drums for around 150$ a drum wholesale. Keep in mind Methanol is highly corrosive to certain metals/alloys and can cause pitting,galling,accelerated wear and component failure,Smitty

I have added methanol water injection. Its alot easier than mixing racing gas. 50-50 mix will give you 118 0ct above 93 and the water acts like a coolant to drop intake air temps.I set the controller to bring the pumps on at 8 psi and 100% flow @ 14.
Rudy at Ice injection can answer all your questions.He has many hours log on the test boat 37 Talon.

HotPursuit
12-04-2008, 11:31 PM
Snow performance sells what they call boost juice(50/50), and Summit racing sells it for around $7 a gallon. As long as you buy windshield washer fluid that is rated to -20, you will get the 30/70 mix. Snow claims more potential with there mix, but says you can run the 30/70 mix with good results. As for one kit, thats just a guess. I'll bet the pump is big enough to supply both motors, but you would be using only 1 controller, and the 2nd motor will be getting its meth from the boost reference of the 1st motor(2 kits would probabally be best).

I did ask if there is a potential to damage a engine. I was told that if you over inject, you will just kill the combustion and cause a miss. The system/pump injects at over 150psi, which gives good atomization, so hydraulicing the motor shouldnt be a concern.

I plan on running it on my 89 Mustang(351,fuel injected,Vortech,12psi+), and all the Ford magazines give the Snow kits good reviews. Snow claims they have a lot of fleet diesel customers as well. The Snow tech I talked to was very knowledgable. I would give them a call and pick there brains on a marine application.

LE

The nozzles you run will determine the pump size.HP and boost also will come into play. You can bring the pumps on by pressure switch or boost reference to a veriable conrtoller. Dont take short cuts 1 kit per engine and you need a upgraded solinoid, if its not for intermittent use.

runninhotracing
12-05-2008, 09:31 AM

LE

I did ask if there is a potential to damage a engine.:ack2:
This stuff will really damage an engine ??????? :03:
Sno has no R & D in the marine aspect and for some reason i do believe theres a lil bit of a diff between a 12 second race car pass & a poker run or a hard run from Miami to K.W. , let me know i could be wrong :leaving:

ROCK ON !!!!
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

runninhotracing
12-06-2008, 12:40 PM
The nozzles you run will determine the pump size.HP and boost also will come into play. You can bring the pumps on by pressure switch or boost reference to a veriable conrtoller. Dont take short cuts 1 kit per engine and you need a upgraded solinoid, if its not for intermittent use.

ORIGINAL SKATER BRUTHA :rofl: U R an ole phuch are'nt cha ???:sifone:

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:26:

HotPursuit
12-08-2008, 08:36 PM
:rofl:
ORIGINAL SKATER BRUTHA :rofl: U R an ole phuch are'nt cha ???:sifone:

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:26:

:rofl::boxing_smiley::ack2::cuss::moon::_boobies:

boater4life
12-09-2008, 01:09 AM
I have added methanol water injection. Its alot easier than mixing racing gas. 50-50 mix will give you 118 0ct above 93 and the water acts like a coolant to drop intake air temps.I set the controller to bring the pumps on at 8 psi and 100% flow @ 14.
Rudy at Ice injection can answer all your questions.He has many hours log on the test boat 37 Talon.

HP are you running just the meth-water injection or are you running it along with an intercooler? Curious as to how much volume it takes but I know you are running big power compared to say 900 with a standard intercooler.

LAKE EFFECT
12-10-2008, 04:46 AM
I did ask if there is a potential to damage a engine.:ack2:
This stuff will really damage an engine ??????? :03:
Sno has no R & D in the marine aspect and for some reason i do believe theres a lil bit of a diff between a 12 second race car pass & a poker run or a hard run from Miami to K.W. , let me know i could be wrong :leaving:

ROCK ON !!!!
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't know if your playing, or serious with HotPursuit, and I dont want to get in the middle. Also dont know how the meth injection will work on a long WOT run in a marine application, just putting out there the research I did. Snow does seem to have the best engineered system out there though.

BTW, 11sec street car on drag radials, with all factory options, soon to be low 11's/high 10's.

LE

HotPursuit
12-12-2008, 05:40 PM
HP are you running just the meth-water injection or are you running it along with an intercooler? Curious as to how much volume it takes but I know you are running big power compared to say 900 with a standard intercooler.

I still run the intercooler, the injection is set to come on above 8#s.I can cruise at 100-115 and 1250 egts with just the intercooler. To me its still free HP and meth is not.I didnt realize how much boost I was making when drag racing or rough conditions. No balls to remove the inter cooler yet!! :willy_nilly: