PDA

View Full Version : Old school windshield removal

pullmytrigger
01-16-2010, 10:09 PM
Changing the windshield out this winter......having trouble getting the screws out for the main (centre) section of the windshield.....half of them came out the other half just spin, do nothing.....for anyone thats done it.....did you drill out the rivets on the little rail at the cabin door, pull the rail off then pull back the headliner to expose the fasteners then glue the headliner back up? or did you come up with another idea?

01-16-2010, 10:53 PM
They are spinning because they do not engage the deck due to sloppy hole drilling or plain old wear and tear. As they spin, put a forked instrument like the plastic auto body pry-forks behind the screw head as you turn them.

or leave them in the windshield and they will just come out as you lift the acrylic up. Just lift straight up (90 degrees up from deck surface).

BTW. Yes I have done it. Mine was slop as I pulled them when the boat was new.

pullmytrigger
01-17-2010, 01:38 AM
a phillips head machine screw goes in from the top into a phillips headed "nut" on the inside.......their not self tappers, but on the side sections they were.......I solved it, I just cut the 4 screws off with the air saw......I think I'll cut very small slits in the headliner to get the "nuts" out.

changing the rubrail too......Long time ago I read on OSO that the rubrails on Fountains were held on with nuts and bolts in a lot of places and it was a total PITA to change out.....I checked mine....all self tappers.....lucky
I guess they changed their methods from time to time at Fountain

01-17-2010, 01:45 AM
Ah, you meant in the corners or at least those type of double sided nut/screw combos.

My bad. :blush5:

Buoy
01-17-2010, 01:46 AM
a phillips head machine screw goes in from the top into a phillips headed "nut" on the inside.......their not self tappers, but on the side sections they were.......I solved it, I just cut the 4 screws off with the air saw......I think I'll cut very small slits in the headliner to get the "nuts" out.

changing the rubrail too......Long time ago I read on OSO that the rubrails on Fountains were held on with nuts and bolts in a lot of places and it was a total PITA to change out.....I checked mine....all self tappers.....lucky
I guess they changed their methods from time to time at Fountain

What you're referring to is what is also known as a "sex-bolt", male, female interlock.
Replacing the rubrail... Where you can access, I'd rather go with at least thru-bolt, and ny-lock nuts, and not just self tappers. You'll be much happier in the long run. Just MHO.
I have a friend with a 35 ex Fountain, and was complaing of a few rubrail screws that always backed out. Once the substrate is stripped out, it's over.
If you're replacing the rubrail, those holes are probably already worn, and won't hold very well. Even at that, through bolt is the way to go.

Fountain Family
01-17-2010, 08:05 PM
PullMyTrigger, Keep us posted on your progress. I would like to hear how it comes. I have the same kind of windshield and really dont like it.

Did you buy a new windshield?

pullmytrigger
01-18-2010, 06:16 PM
there it is, all flat pieces....Im going to get the uprights powdercoated semi gloss black......boat looks wierd with no windshield....

Slandrew
01-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Changing the windshield out this winter......having trouble getting the screws out for the main (centre) section of the windshield.....half of them came out the other half just spin, do nothing.....for anyone thats done it.....did you drill out the rivets on the little rail at the cabin door, pull the rail off then pull back the headliner to expose the fasteners then glue the headliner back up? or did you come up with another idea?Guy who did mine drilled right into cabin:rolleyes: I was not happy but it's solid!I have consealed screws on inside of cabin so it looks factory.PS decal covers so you don't see anything on outside you may have to get that from Fountain

pullmytrigger
01-18-2010, 09:37 PM
"ps"????

Slandrew
01-19-2010, 09:30 AM
"ps"????

On the bottom of windshield there is a stick on that hides glue&screws so you can't see them from outside!