PDA

View Full Version : Python boats?????s

cosmic12
01-13-2010, 11:58 AM
Anyone know much about these?
How well they were built, how long ago,
Yes, I know it must be a slpash of Mag, Pantera and a host of others but were they any good?
This is a 24 project that has poped up,not sure on the year yet, but what was the deal with'em?

Hard Charger
01-13-2010, 12:12 PM
I owned a 24' Python for a short time. It had a 502 mag bravo 1 and toped out around 70 mph. I didn't care for the low profile (free board) or narrow beam. It felt like you would get ejected out of the boat at any moment in moderate seas. Also the deck was very thin (I wouldn't stand on it), The molds must have been junk because both sides of my hull near the transom hooked out, no offshore motor mounts etc. etc. Other than that it was a great boat! IMO

Chris
01-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Probabaly best left where you found it.

rchevelle71
01-13-2010, 03:39 PM
From what I have heard, build quality varies greatly from one boat to the next. If I remember the story correctly, the guy that built them was actually a cabinet maker or something like that, and built boats on the side. Donman has one out in texas, and seems to like it, I debated going to look at a few before buying the Pantera, but decided to wait it out and get the real thing.

bulletbob
01-13-2010, 08:18 PM
I though about buying one a few yrs. back. I think they were built in Ga. I agree with Chris. Leave it where it sits.

Buoy
01-13-2010, 08:42 PM
Mark, I was looking at one the year before I bought my Pantera, now I'm glad I waited.
Definitely not the same type build. I'd heard the same reports that with the 24 Python, some were better than others. If you're serious about a 24x7, I'd probably keep looking, there are much better out there

The original builder of Python passed away 2-3-4 yrs ago. The latest I heard was that at least one of the molds is just outside the Chicago area. It was owned by Straight Jacket (Brian Miller) who passed away in a work accident recently, and his father. Brian Sr. is still working on it.
Redhotsummer on the board has posted some pics of the work on a new boat in the Chicago section on here.
Maybe some of the Chicago guys can fill in more on the CURRENT Python project.
I'm just going off of what I've read here.

cosmic12
01-13-2010, 09:42 PM
I knew there had to be a reason it was so cheap.
I know that I never heard much about them and that should be enough to pass on it.
Thanks to all who answered.

THEJOKER
01-13-2010, 09:43 PM
Jim Clark (rip) built the Python's here on Lake Lanier. They were decent lake boats but I would get a complete marine survey before I would touch one.

J-Bonz
01-13-2010, 11:20 PM
Jim Clark (rip) built the Python's here on Lake Lanier. They were decent lake boats but I would get a complete marine survey before I would touch one.

I agree on the survey.. My Pops owned one. They were not a terrible boat. Do they cary the same clout as a Pantera, I dont think so... My only problem on a project boat like this is......
You will spend more than you think. You better trully want it and want to keep it for several years. or you will loose money on it.

As for me loosing money on a boat, its ok, its a Religion!!

Jr.

Buoy
01-14-2010, 01:33 AM
My only problem on a project boat like this is......
You will spend more than you think. You better trully want it and want to keep it for several years. or you will loose money on it.

As for me loosing money on a boat, its ok, its a Religion!!

Jr.

Is there a project boat that you won't lose money on?:willy_nilly:
I see a well known Apache out there right now that is having a hard time giving it away, and I saw the Holy Grail of old school raceboats sell for 1/4 to 1/8 of what it would cost you for a new Cig, OL, NT etc... - sorry, I brought up the A word.
You don't buy a project boat unless you're in love with the boat, and plan on hanging on to it for a long, long time.
Putting one back together is a labor of love, and one hell of a commitment.

cosmic12
01-14-2010, 01:46 AM
I completey understand about projects (see my rat rod thread) and what I want is 18 to 24 maybe 27 just for a river rocket not lakes or big water just the river.
I have no problem with the work or time and I am not in the least worried about resale as it will be something that will hang around till I tip over. I want something neat and different than what anyone else has but it has to be real cheap to start with so the hunt goes on,

Buoy
01-14-2010, 01:59 AM
I completey understand about projects (see my rat rod thread) and what I want is 18 to 24 maybe 27 just for a river rocket not lakes or big water just the river.
I have no problem with the work or time and I am not in the least worried about resale as it will be something that will hang around till I tip over. I want something neat and different than what anyone else has but it has to be real cheap to start with so the hunt goes on,

You can find an old Pantera 24 out there reasonable, unique, yet a performer.
Maybe an overperformer for what you want, but, in the end it'll likely cost you the same as a knock off. I almost spent 3K more for the Python than I did for my Pantera. Although, I'm putting more money into the Pantera than I would have ever bothered if I had bought the Python.

I look at my boat the same way - I will have this one forever. Might eventually buy a 35 Mistress to park beside her (if I can find better job), but, this one is not going away.
Mark, you might be making the jump from the "Cult" to the "Famalia":):eek:

rchevelle71
01-14-2010, 08:45 AM
[QUOTE=Buoy;414555]
I look at my boat the same way - I will have this one forever. Might eventually buy a 35 Mistress to park beside her (if I can find better job), but, this one is not going away.
QUOTE]

I see we have the same taste in boats, but my 35 would be a cafe:sifone:

rchevelle71
01-14-2010, 08:48 AM

If your looking for a river rocket that will hold its value, look into a Donzi. A 24 Pantera is a little big and heavy if you dont need it for rough water(read as more power to make it fast). My second choice if I hadnt found my 24 was a Donzi 22 Classic, but if you are only running on the river you could get away with an 18, or even a 20 Mynx. If you want something STUPID fast, but doesnt have the classic lines, a Donzi 22ZX single step with a big block is the ticket:driving:

If you are still stuck on a 24, I may be persuaded to sell mine eventually, but its gonna cost you, and you must be patient.

redhotsommer
01-14-2010, 09:17 AM
The original builder of Python passed away 2-3-4 yrs ago. The latest I heard was that at least one of the molds is just outside the Chicago area. It was owned by Straight Jacket (Brian Miller) who passed away in a work accident recently, and his father. Brian Sr. is still working on it.
Redhotsummer on the board has posted some pics of the work on a new boat in the Chicago section on here.
Maybe some of the Chicago guys can fill in more on the CURRENT Python project.
I'm just going off of what I've read here.

Brian Miller (the ol' fart) aka Scarrab30 doesn't own the molds, Tom Nabbers of Morris, IL has those...90% sure he's got the 24. The Python project boat that the Millers have going is the first Python 30...Nabbers took a mold of the Straight Jacket hull and deck and has them ready to go for Hull #2.

Here's the thread on Brian's boat:
http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8854

With twin 720 hp and #4s...look for this bad boy at the Shootout next year...

Buoy
01-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Brian Miller (the ol' fart) aka Scarrab30 doesn't own the molds, Tom Nabbers of Morris, IL has those...90% sure he's got the 24. The Python project boat that the Millers have going is the first Python 30...Nabbers took a mold of the Straight Jacket hull and deck and has them ready to go for Hull #2.

Here's the thread on Brian's boat:
http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8854

With twin 720 hp and #4s...look for this bad boy at the Shootout next year...

Thanks for clearing that up, Mike.
I knew I'd read some info on the project, and was trying not to speculate too much, and muddy the water with questionable info.:confused:

Trim'd Up
01-14-2010, 06:07 PM
Just out of curiosity. Is that boat around the St. Louis area?

redhotsommer
01-14-2010, 06:26 PM
Man...that looks AWESOME.

cosmic12
01-14-2010, 06:30 PM
Just out of curiosity. Is that boat around the St. Louis area?

Yes.

Buoy
01-14-2010, 07:10 PM
[QUOTE=Buoy;414555]
QUOTE]

I see we have the same taste in boats, but my 35 would be a cafe:sifone:

:sifone:

J-Bonz
01-14-2010, 08:36 PM
Is there a project boat that you won't lose money on?:willy_nilly:
I see a well known Apache out there right now that is having a hard time giving it away, and I saw the Holy Grail of old school raceboats sell for 1/4 to 1/8 of what it would cost you for a new Cig, OL, NT etc... - sorry, I brought up the A word.
You don't buy a project boat unless you're in love with the boat, and plan on hanging on to it for a long, long time.
Putting one back together is a labor of love, and one hell of a commitment.

I agree 100%. If its the boat you want! Thats all that matters...:)
Jr.

Buoy
01-14-2010, 11:49 PM
If your looking for a river rocket that will hold its value, look into a Donzi. A 24 Pantera is a little big and heavy if you dont need it for rough water(read as more power to make it fast). My second choice if I hadnt found my 24 was a Donzi 22 Classic, but if you are only running on the river you could get away with an 18, or even a 20 Mynx. If you want something STUPID fast, but doesnt have the classic lines, a Donzi 22ZX single step with a big block is the ticket:driving:

If you are still stuck on a 24, I may be persuaded to sell mine eventually, but its gonna cost you, and you must be patient.

I happen to know a guy on the board here that has a 22 Donzi that he dropped a big motor into, and swapper to a BlackHawk drive. Last I heard, he was turning 88mph. That would be scary in a 22 low freeboard Donzi.
It was funny, he had Bennett tabs on it, and because of the water pressure, they curled half way to a Taco shape.

Buoy
01-14-2010, 11:49 PM
I agree 100%. If its the boat you want! Thats all that matters...:)
Jr.

:cheers2::sifone:

rchevelle71
01-15-2010, 09:37 AM
I happen to know a guy on the board here that has a 22 Donzi that he dropped a big motor into, and swapper to a BlackHawk drive. Last I heard, he was turning 88mph. That would be scary in a 22 low freeboard Donzi.
It was funny, he had Bennett tabs on it, and because of the water pressure, they curled half way to a Taco shape.

Scary yes, would I do it? YES!!!! But only on relatively flat water:driving:

I have Bennett Tabs also, and have had no problem with them. I guess it is possible to bend them, but personally at that speed, not sure why they were down:eek:

Trim'd Up
01-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Yes.
I thought the boat looked familiar. The boat has been for sale for a LONG time just as it sits. I talked to the owner when they had it listed with no pics as a cig. The boat has been listed as everything from 24'-27' and Cig to Python. I finally got the HIN from them and if I remember right it was actually a P&D. The story on it changed when I talked to them on 2 different occasions. I have not seen the boat in person, but if your interested I will go take a look at it for ya. It's not too far from me.

cosmic12
01-15-2010, 01:58 PM
I thought the boat looked familiar. The boat has been for sale for a LONG time just as it sits. I talked to the owner when they had it listed with no pics as a cig. The boat has been listed as everything from 24'-27' and Cig to Python. I finally got the HIN from them and if I remember right it was actually a P&D. The story on it changed when I talked to them on 2 different occasions. I have not seen the boat in person, but if your interested I will go take a look at it for ya. It's not too far from me.

PM sent and thanks:cheers2:

no limits
01-16-2010, 05:01 PM

I bought this Python boat from the guy you say had it for ever. He was in St. Charles, Mo. He had boat on Craigslist and I bought from him. I was actually looking for a alum. trailer and I bought the boat also. Now don't need either one. It is actually a 1990 Python 24 and is in real good shape. Make an offer if interested. Thanks.

Ratickle
01-16-2010, 06:45 PM

I happen to know where there is a 16 Donzi running the same speeds.....:sifone:

donnawanna
01-25-2010, 09:12 AM
my first performance boat was a 1980 24 Python. I liked it, fun boat it had a 60 over 454 with dry basset offshore headers and a trs drive. The boat was fast and ran good up to 3 footers on Lake Erie. I did break the deck right at the front of the engine hatch but I was doing a poker run in 3 to 5 foot waves and running hard. IMO for what you pay for the Pantera in the same shape you could fix whats wrong with the Python and save alot of money if do the work yourself.
A friend had a 22 Donzi with a 502 and a bravo. He had twice as much money into it then I did but my python was faster and he could'nt run in the waves like the python would.
On a river I think the Python would be great and more affordable then the others.
Don't think that I am knocking the Pantera it,s my favorite boat and do like the Donzi's too.
I think we all have lost money on performance boats but if you can start out with your project for alot less its still less money spent.
good luck with your project.

no limits
01-26-2010, 12:27 AM
my first performance boat was a 1980 24 Python. I liked it, fun boat it had a 60 over 454 with dry basset offshore headers and a trs drive. The boat was fast and ran good up to 3 footers on Lake Erie. I did break the deck right at the front of the engine hatch but I was doing a poker run in 3 to 5 foot waves and running hard. IMO for what you pay for the Pantera in the same shape you could fix whats wrong with the Python and save alot of money if do the work yourself.
A friend had a 22 Donzi with a 502 and a bravo. He had twice as much money into it then I did but my python was faster and he could'nt run in the waves like the python would.
On a river I think the Python would be great and more affordable then the others.
Don't think that I am knocking the Pantera it,s my favorite boat and do like the Donzi's too.
I think we all have lost money on performance boats but if you can start out with your project for alot less its still less money spent.
good luck with your project.
Well put. This boat is "for sale" for 2k on the trailer or $1200 boat only. I guarantee you won't find one cheaper and in better shape!

Madpoodle
01-26-2010, 06:28 AM
I happen to know where there is a 16 Donzi running the same speeds.....:sifone:

Details... Jamie dissected his..

northernoffshore
02-16-2010, 11:49 PM
bought this one as a bare hull

htrdlncn
02-17-2010, 02:08 AM
Well put. This boat is "for sale" for 2k on the trailer or $1200 boat only. I guarantee you won't find one cheaper and in better shape!

Where you able to get the title for it ?

olli
02-17-2010, 05:03 AM
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff120/oli5400/pythonad.jpg

baldtires
02-17-2010, 10:07 AM
i have a 91 python. i dont think they are built as good as a superboat or pantera, but great lake boat. mine seems to have a very thick deck. i have seen 70 on the gps with a built 454 with 1500 rpms left. it was a scary ride with the loose cable steering. putting on some hydraulic steering in the coming weeks so maybe this year i can take advantage of the built motor. i think for the money, they are a good bang for the buck.

THEJOKER
02-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Jim Clark the owner was a piece of work. I stopped by one time with my girlfriend and when we got back in the car she asked me how well I knew him. I asked why and she handed me his phone number on a small piece of paper. Classic Jim!

imco offshore
02-17-2010, 12:36 PM
Maybe he wanted to sell her a boat,, and not to offend you!!!lololol I knew him lolol

no limits
02-17-2010, 11:34 PM
Where you able to get the title for it ?

Yes...it is sold.

imco offshore
02-18-2010, 08:39 AM
that was a good deal,,,great first project boat for someone ,,

Pete B
02-18-2010, 04:09 PM
The boats were originally built in Romulus, Michigan. They then moved to Georgia.
as most have said, if your on a budget, and dont mind some work, its a good buy.
I had a 89, with a bravo drive, used on the St.Johns river.

OneBadInjun
02-19-2010, 10:01 AM
The boats were originally built in Romulus, Michigan. They then moved to Georgia.
as most have said, if your on a budget, and dont mind some work, its a good buy.
I had a 89, with a bravo drive, used on the St.Johns river.

I believe Sonny Gandi had something to do with this move/ownership/sales, etc. Wonder what ever happened to him? Is he still alive?

will803sc
03-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Got mine last summer. 1990 python24ft 502bb/roller, weiland blower paid 5,400 on the trailer.