PDA

View Full Version : Apache Miami-NY Boat

chewiekw
01-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Does anyone have anymore information on this boat? I believe it was pulled from an old Magnum mold. I know it had 3 diesel motors and Arneson drives...it seemed really tricket out.

Any other pictures? anyone know what happened to it or where it might be?

xlr8by
01-12-2010, 08:53 PM
In this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_6vdTEChas&feature=PlayList&p=D40FB69F377E6B0B&index=25 if you pause it at 3:49 you will see the inside of a boat that looks like it has 5 bolsters in a line, this is the Miami to NY boat. That is all I can add, hopefully someone else will chime in.

Geronimo36
01-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Was it a Magnum or a Cigarette hull?

chewiekw
01-13-2010, 03:58 PM
I think it was a Magnum

Geronimo36
01-13-2010, 09:53 PM
Bob says that it was neither a Magnum or a Cigarette.... However they did get the molds from Don and it was something Don worked on in-between. It was 45' X 12' / 24 degree boat and the sides were cut down.

Sean Stinson
01-14-2010, 09:25 AM
Bob says that it was neither a Magnum or a Cigarette.... However they did get the molds from Don and it was something Don worked on in-between. It was 45' X 12' / 24 degree boat and the sides were cut down.

I actually thought they billed it as a 46' but it looked impressive whatever the length was!!!!!

Geronimo36
01-14-2010, 11:08 AM
I actually thought they billed it as a 46' but it looked impressive whatever the length was!!!!!

It was billed as a 47' but it was really 45'. Correction on the beam, it was 14', the 35' was 12'.

Geronimo36
01-15-2010, 03:01 PM
Does anyone have anymore information on this boat? I believe it was pulled from an old Magnum mold. I know it had 3 diesel motors and Arneson drives...it seemed really tricket out.

Any other pictures? anyone know what happened to it or where it might be?

I found out some really cool info about this boat that I'd like to share!!! The boat has a lot of history!:driving:

I'll give the short story...there's a lot of other details but not important so here it goes..and don't scold me if I forgot to dot an "I" or cross a "T" but you'll get the gyst...

As you know the boat was the Miami/NY Apache entry but it didn't start out that way.

Originally the boat was built when Bob/Ben bought the mold from Don. They were going to build a "Superboat" to go racing with and the plan was to install two airplane engines and Arneson drives...

Normally aspirated they would make 1500hp and turbocharged 2100hp..... With that Ben bought two engines and planned to install them but when they submitted the paperwork to the racing org they were told the boat wouldn't qualify to race due to the trick setup!

So, they scrapped that idea and decided to install "4", yeah FOUR, merc engines, staggered (two rear-ward, two forward to get the drives close together) and speedmaster drives. They took the boat out for its first test-drive and it wouldn't steer properly with the 4 engines so the project was scrapped...

Later on, after Bob left, the boat was re-rigged for the Miami/NY race with the 3 engines.... On the test drive before the race they noticed a problem with one of the engines (backfire), Bob suggested replacing it but Ben didn't think it was an issue.

So the next day they start the race and a couple minutes in the engine blew up and they dropped out of the race...

Bob is not sure what happened to the boat after that!

I thought that info was really cool so I hope you enjoy. That must have been a great era to live in!! :driving:

xlr8by
01-15-2010, 03:20 PM
I thought that info was really cool so I hope you enjoy. That must have been a great era to live in!! :driving:

Great post Frank thanks for the info. Any ideas what kind of speeds that boat was "hoping" to see on that trip? Hull number? :)

Geronimo36
01-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Thanks. :)

No idea about the other stuff..

Sean Stinson
01-15-2010, 05:58 PM
I found out some really cool info about this boat that I'd like to share!!! The boat has a lot of history!:driving:

I'll give the short story...there's a lot of other details but not important so here it goes..and don't scold me if I forgot to dot an "I" or cross a "T" but you'll get the gyst...

As you know the boat was the Miami/NY Apache entry but it didn't start out that way.

Originally the boat was built when Bob/Ben bought the mold from Don. They were going to build a "Superboat" to go racing with and the plan was to install two airplane engines and Arneson drives...

Normally aspirated they would make 1500hp and turbocharged 2100hp..... With that Ben bought two engines and planned to install them but when they submitted the paperwork to the racing org they were told the boat wouldn't qualify to race due to the trick setup!

So, they scrapped that idea and decided to install "4", yeah FOUR, merc engines, staggered (two rear-ward, two forward to get the drives close together) and speedmaster drives. They took the boat out for its first test-drive and it wouldn't steer properly with the 4 engines so the project was scrapped...

Later on, after Bob left, the boat was re-rigged for the Miami/NY race with the 3 engines.... On the test drive before the race they noticed a problem with one of the engines (backfire), Bob suggested replacing it but Ben didn't think it was an issue.

So the next day they start the race and a couple minutes in the engine blew up and they dropped out of the race...

Bob is not sure what happened to the boat after that!

Keith Hazel was part of the protestors on the Rolls Royce engines they wanted to run....And one of them was confiscated when they took the Fort down!!!!

Sean Stinson
01-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Great post Frank thanks for the info. Any ideas what kind of speeds that boat was "hoping" to see on that trip? Hull number? :)

Probably #2 of that series because the other one was Red and called Majestic Apache with Penske Diesels and ran about 50ish

Geronimo36
01-15-2010, 06:08 PM
Keith Hazel was part of the protestors on the Rolls Royce engines they wanted to run....And one of them was confiscated when they took the Fort down!!!!

It could have been a really cool project from the sounds of it!!!:cheers2:

Sean Stinson
01-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Very Cool

Geronimo36
01-15-2010, 06:19 PM
I need to find a friend with deep pockets or this market has to turn around... :smash::bump:

stormrider
01-18-2010, 02:45 PM
That 35 definitely looks like a 35mag hull.
And the 45 could be a mag45, or cutdown 53, which the 45 was.