PDA

View Full Version : Hub Stuck

Gary D
01-11-2010, 07:51 PM
My hub is stuck on the shaft on my drive, i took the prop off and the hub stayed on the drive. I was told the hub should be able to come off do they make a puller made to get these off or do i need to take the boat to a drive guy to get it off.... :huh:

insanity
01-12-2010, 03:55 AM
Three claw gear puller will pull it off.

Gary D
01-14-2010, 05:56 PM
Yeah, tried that teeth wouldn't get under the hub. Well i guess i will have to try something else...:ack2::ack2:

insanity
01-15-2010, 01:13 AM
Really? Did you try a smaller puller? You could try to heat it up, let it cool, heat it up, let it cool and maybe the heat cycle would free it up. But you'll have to watch you don't melt your prop seal out. Another thing would be to take a dremel/cut off tool, cut MOST of the way through it (not far enough to hit the propshaft) on opposites sides, then use a punch wide enough to split it off, working from opposite sides as gently as possible so as not to bend/damage the propshaft.

Was it an old prop with the rubber hub? If so cut the rubber off the insert and then try the gear puller again.

Do you have a picture of it?

Airpacker
01-15-2010, 08:53 AM
try slowly pouring a kettle of boiling water over the hub while applying pressure with a pry bar to the hub adapter. If you hear a "pop", pry from the opposite side.

Gary D
01-17-2010, 12:37 PM
try slowly pouring a kettle of boiling water over the hub while applying pressure with a pry bar to the hub adapter. If you hear a "pop", pry from the opposite side. Thanks I will have to try that. :sifone:

ThrottleUp Props
01-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Sorry I am coming in so late.....I assume that you sprayed some sort of lubricant, let it sit for some time, tapped and tried to remove. I am guessing this did not work. Now, as for heat.....DO NOT heat it with a torch of any kind....you could destroy your gearcase seals. Now, boiling water is a new one to me. Maybe a valid recommendation....not sure how that will break down the corrossion you have going on which is the culprit here. Tell us everything you have tried and lets try to go from there.

Julie

Airpacker
01-17-2010, 10:19 PM
Julie, the boiling water will hopefully cause the adapter to grow slightly, breaking the corrosion bond between the prop shaft and the hub. We use that trick on snowmobile clutches which are a taper shaft. Saves the crank seals on sled motors.

bbladesprops
01-18-2010, 02:12 PM
I agree a touch could melt a prop shaft seal. However, if done correctly, the heat applied in small quantities will expand the hub before any heat transferee can get to the prop shaft and to the seal. As soon as the hub is warm, a pry bar / rubber mallet / slide hammer should do the trick. Not getting it red hot is the obvious issue. Also, a bucket of cool water will bring the temp down quick.

You need to control your temp and start near the threaded end. I do it this way but I also understand the concern if you aren't used to torches.

Good luck,
Brett

Gary D
01-21-2010, 05:56 PM
I haven't had time to mess with it recently, will be trying the boiling water or torch this weekend. Thanks for the advice i will let you all know how i make out.