PDA

View Full Version : Bravo on Versus Bravo XR size

anchorman
01-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Ok I was sold some shafts along with some extension boxes and was told that the older XR drives and shafts were the same size as Bravo One drive. I specificly asked if the shafts were XR and I was told yes. I was shipped the boxes and then the "shafts" were shipped at a later time as they were apparently miss placed at the original time of shipping.

I want to know if there was ever a time that these two drives were the same size. I paid with a check and it's been cashed...... I know tough luck. The seller is a member here and is trying to tell me that the shafts should have fit the "old style" XR drives so he met his end of the deal.

MOBILEMERCMAN
01-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Can you been more specific? Which shaft?

I will try to help you.

J.T.
01-04-2010, 10:24 PM
The reg. bravo's list different #'s than the
X-XR's.

The old style XR u -joints were larger and had grease
fittings, the new style are smaller and don't have grease
fittings.

I don't know the exact date they changed them,
but after I blew an XR upper in the fall of 05' the replacement
had the new style u-joints/ input shaft.

I don't know if this helps you or not.

I would think IMCO would be able to tell which of their
shafts works with what.

anchorman
01-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Can you been more specific? Which shaft?

I will try to help you.

It is the shaft from the yoke on the top of the drive to the coupler. When I got the shafts for the boxes they wouldnt fit the XR yokes. They were too small. When I talked with the seller he said that the "Older" XR drives had the same sized yolk as the bravo 1 so he had fullfilled his side of the deal. I thought Hey this guy races he knows what I am after. I am trying to learn. I understand I paid for something that I thought I was getting. Maybe I am wrong but I cant find any thing that shows that a Bravo XR and Bravo 1 shaft were ever the same size. I have already ordered the correct shaft as I dont have time to wait on the guy to make the deal right, if he is incorrrect. I am working in a shop that the owner is being very generous with. I need to get out of there ASAP. I just want to know for the future.

J.T.
01-04-2010, 10:52 PM
This chart lists what drives use what for
input shafts,
http://www.go-fast.com/mercruiser_bravo_sterndrives.htm

MOBILEMERCMAN
01-04-2010, 11:12 PM
Anchorman the link J T provided shows the XR and standard are not the same. I think the input shafts with the various cross bearings have changed more than any other shaft in the drive. I hope you guys can work it out.

J.T. thanks for sharing the chart.

anchorman
01-04-2010, 11:20 PM
Anchorman the link J T provided shows the XR and standard are not the same. I think the input shafts with the various cross bearings have changed more than any other shaft in the drive. I hope you guys can work it out.

J.T. thanks for sharing the chart.

I dont think there is much to work out. Honestly trying to save a buck ends up costing money sometime. I provided Imco with my drive serial # so I should get the correct shafts. I appreciate the comments I would have hoped the seller would take the high road but I solved the problem. JT thanks for taking the time and putting up the chart.

MOBILEMERCMAN
01-04-2010, 11:29 PM
I am trying to follow. You have XR drives? What serial number ? Your adding IMCO boxes?

You say they are too small where? There are two yoke shafts in the universal assembly. Each end is called a yoke. The coupling ends are the same. The gear end have had numerous changes. Some because of cross bearing vendor changes.

anchorman
01-04-2010, 11:47 PM
I am trying to follow. You have XR drives? What serial number ? Your adding IMCO boxes?

You say they are too small where? There are two yoke shafts in the universal assembly. Each end is called a yoke. The coupling ends are the same. The gear end have had numerous changes. Some because of cross bearing vendor changes.

Sorry I am not that educated on all the correct part names. I have XR Drives. I am putting IMCO neutral boxes on the boat. At the end of the shaft coming from the coupler to the drive there is a U Joint. When my mechanic went to install the shafts that were provided from the seller the on holes on the U were too small in Diameter. They do however fit a bravo 1 drive that we had laying around. I guess what I was asking is if there was any time that the U joint size on a bravo 1 and an XR were the same. I dont have the serial #'s with me.

Mr Gadgets
01-07-2010, 07:07 AM
Anchorman,
The B1 and XR input shafts have never had the same size ujoint!!! Your seller is incorrect..

There are four different size joints.. B1 are smaller.. one with grease fittings and one without.. the one without is the metric joint..
Same with XR.. started with a very large ujoint cap and the new metric one is smaller, but still larger than either B1..

Bearing cap OD's are 1.077", 1.062" for B1
and 1.328", 1.217 for XR..
Hope that helps.
But your seller is incorrect, XR never had a small ujoint.
Imco does have a conversion yoke for putting a small old style joint shaft on the XR pinion gear.
Dick

insanity
01-07-2010, 07:47 AM
If they have a conversion joint then you should still be able to use the shafts i would think. If its not the correct joint, you should be able to cross-reference something in the Spicer catalog, they have a lot of conversion joints. I used one a couple years ago to put a GM driveshaft on a Ford Dana 60.