PDA

View Full Version : Need some education on .40 cal

01-02-2010, 01:01 AM
I have been eyeballing a new Sig Sauer and one model is available in either 9mm .40 or even the .357sig I always thought of .40 as a heavier slug version of a 9mm. Seems police are really going that direction though.

It has been a while since I even looked into .40 caliber. I already have 9mm Sphinx and 10mm Delta elite pistols. I have not had a .45 for a long time and that is also on the table in a different model.

Opinions? Chris, I know you have one and yes I know you prefer other manufacturers but bear with me on this. :USA:

Tony
01-02-2010, 09:20 AM
A .40 is hard to beat, its a great all around caliber. It really depends on what you intend to use it for. The 357 is a nice fast round but ammo is pricey and sometimes hard to find. I'm not very familiar with Sig Saur but Glock has a few models where the .40 and 357 barrels are interchangable in the same gun.

Ratickle
01-02-2010, 09:23 AM
A .40 is hard to beat, its a great all around caliber. It really depends on what you intend to use it for. The 357 is a nice fast round but ammo is pricey and sometimes hard to find. I'm not very familiar with Sig Saur but Glock has a few models where the .40 and 357 barrels are interchangable in the same gun.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Can't all .357's shoot .38 specials for practice for the cost savings?

Tony
01-02-2010, 09:29 AM
The .357Sig is an adapted autoloading round completely different than the .357mag. The standard .357mag is a straight walled rimmed cartridge that you find in revolvers and some lever rifles. The .38sp is also straight walled and rimmed and can be shot in a .357mag chambered firearm.

Ratickle
01-02-2010, 09:31 AM
The .357Sig is an adapted autoloading round completely different than the .357mag. The standard .357mag is a straight walled rimmed cartridge that you find in revolvers and some lever rifles. The .38sp is also straight walled and rimmed and can be shot in a .357mag chambered firearm.

Thanks, good to know since I've been watching. I thought they were all the same.

Sydwayz
Get the Sig 229 in the 40. Add some Hogue grips. I guarantee you will love the gun. I have the 229 in 9mm and have shot the 229 in a 40 as well.

Tony
:cheers2:

gerritm
01-02-2010, 09:49 AM
.40 is a slightly less potent 10mm mag round that was developed for law enforcement. The Sig is a nice gun. .40 ammo is a little more expensive than 9mm. $20 a box for FMJ target rounds vrs $12 a box of 50 for 9mm. Either round is readily available.357 Sig round is a lot harder to find. 9mm and .40 can be bought at Wally World and Academy.

Ratickle
01-02-2010, 10:49 AM
.40 is a slightly less potent 10mm mag round that was developed for law enforcement. The Sig is a nice gun. .40 ammo is a little more expensive than 9mm. $20 a box for FMJ target rounds vrs $12 a box of 50 for 9mm. Either round is readily available.357 Sig round is a lot harder to find. 9mm and .40 can be bought at Wally World and Academy.

So for an all around, practice every week, but still have stopping you'd recommend the 9?

Trim'd Up
01-02-2010, 11:06 AM
357 sig is a necked down .40 so you can switch out the barrel and recoil spring to convert between the 2 rounds. They are a hot round with good balistics but they are pricey and hard to find. Your probably not going to find them at Wally world. I have .25, .40, 9mm, and .45 autos. The the 9mm is the cheapest and easiest to find by far followed by 45 then the 40. I shoot the 45's more than anything and that's also my self defense round. I like big and slow pistol bullets myself.

hotjava66
01-02-2010, 11:22 AM
the 40 is a nice round, i have had a few and i liked them. i like 9mm for general plinking and shooting but for defense i like something a little bigger and 40 is a good compromise if you want a high capacity pistol. personally i like a bigger caliber, 44 or 45 for protection. i havent had a 229 but id like to have one and if i did it would be a 40. i agree with trim'd up i like big and slow, my personal go-to is a smith carry comp in 44 special and if im in griz country can load it with 44mags :)

Chris
01-02-2010, 12:13 PM
I'm typically not too opinionated about this firearm stuff, but...

;)

I like the .40S&W. It's an excellent all-around round. It offers the ability to carry a larger magazine in a compact handgun while upping the performance over the 9MM. And nothing wrong in the slightest with the SIG. Many LEO's carry the SIG with good results. I also have a Sphinx- in .40. One of my favorites to shoot. Just afraid to break it- the current importer doesn't support the previous pieces. Getting parts direct from Switzerland is a hassle.

On the 357SIG, it's a strong performer, but somewhat expensive to shoot- and not all that esy to find. The 10mm is virtually identical to the 357Mag ballistically.

And for a semo-off-topic thought- On personal defense handguns in general... If you want to defend your life with it you should be really good with it. Do you think Tiger has 25 sets of clubs, all different? Probably not. You eliminate variables to achieve consistency. And each handgun fits and operates differently with differeing features and functions and controls in different places. If someone is trying to kill you, you're probably going to have alot occupying your mind. You probably shouldn't have to think too much on which one of your handguns you grabbed this morning.

hotjava66
01-02-2010, 02:35 PM
And for a semo-off-topic thought- On personal defense handguns in general... If you want to defend your life with it you should be really good with it. Do you think Tiger has 25 sets of clubs, all different? Probably not. You eliminate variables to achieve consistency. And each handgun fits and operates differently with differeing features and functions and controls in different places. If someone is trying to kill you, you're probably going to have alot occupying your mind. You probably shouldn't have to think too much on which one of your handguns you grabbed this morning.

excellent point, this is why although i love autopistols and own and play with a lot of different stuff my "personal protection" handgun is a smith revolver, no safeties, slides, decockers, feed issues, just point it and pull the trigger. practice is a must as well

01-02-2010, 03:48 PM
And for a semo-off-topic thought- On personal defense handguns in general... If you want to defend your life with it you should be really good with it. Do you think Tiger has 25 sets of clubs, all different? Probably not. You eliminate variables to achieve consistency. And each handgun fits and operates differently with differing features and functions and controls in different places. If someone is trying to kill you, you're probably going to have alot occupying your mind. You probably shouldn't have to think too much on which one of your handguns you grabbed this morning.

Those are good points. For home I have a older Remington 12 guage pump and a .357 revolver. This was a decision for another to add to the collection and enjoy on the range. I honestly don't carry daily. I like having a little of everything. :)

Clustergear
01-02-2010, 05:28 PM
I have use all the rounds above as I am a firearms instructor and department armor for a PD just outside of NYC. I'll give to you in the short. The 40 cal is very good round as it tends to stop the forward motion of the bad guy, like the .45 but easyer to shoot for those with weak hands. The 9 mm with its smaller size and higher speed tends to go through the bad guy and he or she still keeps comming at you. ( I know it depends were you hit em) Thats my 2 cents. and in about 3 months I am retiring after 30 years of service and going to work at my buddys marina.

01-02-2010, 06:27 PM
I have use all the rounds above as I am a firearms instructor and department armor for a PD just outside of NYC. I'll give to you in the short. The 40 cal is very good round as it tends to stop the forward motion of the bad guy, like the .45 but easyer to shoot for those with weak hands. The 9 mm with its smaller size and higher speed tends to go through the bad guy and he or she still keeps comming at you. ( I know it depends were you hit em) Thats my 2 cents. and in about 3 months I am retiring after 30 years of service and going to work at my buddys marina.

Which Manufacturers do you like?

Clustergear
01-02-2010, 07:52 PM
We switched to Glock back around 1991 as they have very few moving parts and will still fire when dirty and when I say dirty you would beleve the crab inside these guns and they still fire. Alot of coffie and donuts get drop on them. The plan clothes officers guns get so much lent and crap from being carried under clothes. I have found that Winchester Ranger 180 gr. SXT as a very good round for service use. For practice ammo Federal American Eagle 180 full metal jacket are a very good. This spring we started using Federal Bullisticlean 135 gr. (leed free) in the indoor range. I don't not like them at all, have had many bullet heads jam in barrels, which could be very dangerous. Rememder all the major manufacturers make execllent guns, but I don't beleve anyone model is better than the next, it's the one holding it that makes the differance. Remember the more moving parts and closer the tolerances the cleaner you have to keep it for it to work properly.

01-02-2010, 09:15 PM
:ack2: Everything I have is tight tolerances, Even my Colt 10mms.

Good thing I am not in the real line of duty. :USA:

X-Rated30
01-02-2010, 09:56 PM
The 9 mm with its smaller size and higher speed tends to go through the bad guy and he or she still keeps comming at you. ( I know it depends were you hit em) Thats my 2 cents. and in about 3 months I am retiring after 30 years of service and going to work at my buddys marina.

I had the opportunity to represent a gentleman that shot a young kid committing a burglary. The bullet entered his upper back dead center and exited the front center of his chest, penetrating one of the t-shirts he was wearing but not the second t-shirt. The bullet was recovered between the 2 shirts. Weapon was a 9mm S&W, and the round was a Hydrashok. When I examined the bullet, the first milimeter or two was shaved off and the remainder of the cavity was packed with tissue, and the projectile did not deform at all. The kid ran over 100 yards after being shot. :ack2:

01-02-2010, 10:08 PM
Up here, a bullet entering the back means a trip to prison (for the shooter, no matter the circumstances), no ifs, ands, or buts.

ImaPoser
01-02-2010, 10:48 PM
I had the opportunity to represent a gentleman that shot a young kid committing a burglary. The bullet entered his upper back dead center and exited the front center of his chest, penetrating one of the t-shirts he was wearing but not the second t-shirt. The bullet was recovered between the 2 shirts. Weapon was a 9mm S&W, and the round was a Hydrashok. When I examined the bullet, the first milimeter or two was shaved off and the remainder of the cavity was packed with tissue, and the projectile did not deform at all. The kid ran over 100 yards after being shot. :ack2:

Crap. That makes me want to rethink my CCW planning. I"m selling a Sig P229 in 9mm just because it's too bulky for me to carry concealed other than during the winter. I was going to stick with the 9, just go to a smaller frame, but may think about something bigger now. I like using the 9 due to it's availability, compatibility with other guns in the safe, and to match what the wife prefers to use as well, but I want stopping power. I've always figured +P ammo would do the job well enough. :ack2:

mikes280
01-02-2010, 11:27 PM
hard to beat a good old 45 acp for stoping power

Chris
01-03-2010, 11:03 AM
If you miss a bone in an upper chest, every caliber is going to breeze through and not open up. From your solar plexus up, you're pretty much hollow outside of center mass. The identical shot from a 45ACP or a 7.62 would have probably had the same results.

And this is exactly why I continually urge people to acquire a short-barreled 12ga pump shotgun for home defense.

This is another issue- most civilian exchanges of fire occur at an average distance of 7 feet. Shooting someone running away from you is rare- and unnecessary unless they have your small child under their arm. The majority occur inside of the common residential home. The rest are face-to-face heated exchanges that escalate. Sit on your couch and imagine someone kicking in your kitchen door. Keep these things in mind when you start thinking about how you'll defend yourself. If you aren't practicing shooting short distances from a low-drawn position, crouching position, retreating or left handed, you're at a significant disadvantage. Putting holes in paper at 35 feet in a well-lit range while standing upright using a Weaver grip is only making you better at shooting at the range.

Chris
01-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Crap. That makes me want to rethink my CCW planning. I"m selling a Sig P229 in 9mm just because it's too bulky for me to carry concealed other than during the winter. I was going to stick with the 9, just go to a smaller frame, but may think about something bigger now. I like using the 9 due to it's availability, compatibility with other guns in the safe, and to match what the wife prefers to use as well, but I want stopping power. I've always figured +P ammo would do the job well enough. :ack2:

+P is only faster. It's the bullet. Try the Hornady TAP. It feeds well in just about everything and expands very efficiently.

There's nothing wrong with the 9mm if you have the shot-placement skill to use it.

One big problem with self-defense ammo is the hesitancy to practice with it. Most guys use WWB at the range, then put their good ammo in for the ride home. Understandable at upwards of $2 a round. But alot of auto pistols don't feed the exotic hollowpoints all that well. It's a bad time to find out you have a single-shot pistol in your belt when someone is shooting at you.

gerritm
01-03-2010, 12:01 PM
hard to beat a good old 45 acp for stoping power

Plus 1,do you know why people carry a .45? Because there are no .46:)'s.:iagree:

The .40 is a very good round. Has great stopping power and is not difficult to shoot. As stated by Cluster the Winchester Ranger is a good PP round. That is what I have in my HK .40.My carry gun is a Kimber .45 compact Ultra Carry II loaded with Speer 185 grain HP's.

I agree with Chris on making sure you shoot your PP rounds at the range. The first HP rounds I bought for the Kimber did not feed well and were too big. I bought the Speers and I am going to the range today to try them.

X-Rated30
01-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Up here, a bullet entering the back means a trip to prison (for the shooter, no matter the circumstances), no ifs, ands, or buts.

Whatever - you need better lawyers. He is walking the streets a free man.:USA: Can't say the same for the dead kid's partner in the burglary.:rolleyes:

01-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Whatever - you need better lawyers. He is walking the streets a free man.:USA: Can't say the same for the dead kid's partner in the burglary.:rolleyes:

I don't understand why you took offense. :confused: I am just telling you what the politics and law say up here. Best lawyer around won't get you off if the bullet enters from behind because it is universally accepted here that you life is no longer in danger if the criminal is heading away from you. I am also not saying I agree with that completely.

X-Rated30
01-03-2010, 04:15 PM
I didn't take offense. Every case is different. For example, in the case I mentioned, the defendant was shooting at the other burglar who was coming at him. The kid was just in the line of fire. Trust me, a good lawyer makes all the difference.

X-Rated30
01-03-2010, 04:16 PM
End of Hijack, LOL!

01-03-2010, 04:29 PM
I didn't take offense. Every case is different. For example, in the case I mentioned, the defendant was shooting at the other burglar who was coming at him. The kid was just in the line of fire. Trust me, a good lawyer makes all the difference.

Just curious where you practice? I am obviously not a lawyer, but I am 99% certain even in that circumstance, In Washington state, You aren't walking Scot free.

publius
01-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Sig makes a great gun and you won't go wrong with any of the calibers mentioned. I'm not a huge fan of the .40 or the .357 Sig just because they are answers to a nonexistant problem. 40 is covered by the 10mm and the .357 sig is covered by the .38 Super and +P+ 9mm. Good cartridges though. The .40 is just your 10mm with slightly less powder capacity, therefore not quite as powerful. Developed b/c law enforcement had problems dealing with the original 10mm loading. i like your choice of the Sig and the .40 is a good round so go for it. i forget if you can do this w/the Sig, but the .357Sig cartridge is simply the .40S&W case necked down to .357. You may be able to buy a .357 barrel for your .40 and vice versa. That is a big plus to these cartridges.