PDA

View Full Version : best nose cone ?

fever 38
12-30-2009, 11:26 AM
just want your opinions on nose cones. going to put them on this year want inout on the best one to use thanks. ps going on a 38 fever w 2 steps and bravo 1s.

jetmech
01-01-2010, 05:05 PM
I've run imco's and hydromotives ... counldn't tell and difference in handling or speed between the two brands.My current boat is 31 Scarab viper with a small pad ... no steps.

Some claim there cones are stern lifting and others bow lifting. I put them on for better hydrodynamics. Props were blowing out @ high speeds. The only improvement was better high speed handling ... less chine walk.Also saw tighter slip numbers. My drives were installed on a 26 Nova ST running upper 80's at the time of installing the cones now there on my Scarab.Every hull reacts differently ... Nova had 17 % slip 1 inch higher X-dim than the Scarab ... Scarab 9% slip ... same XR drives and nose cones.

Ratickle
01-01-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm a Hydromotive fan, but as far as testing side by side, I'd have to check my old Powerboat articles.

MOBILEMERCMAN
01-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Are you going well over ninety? If not spend your time and effort on something else. My personal opinion is they are a pain. They require too much effort to keep them looking good. Often there is little to no improvement. Many years ago when gearcase housing were not as long they helped. Bravo cases are good to ninety some odd MPH as produced. The first years there were not as long and would blow out in the 80 mph range. In that case they were necessary. Outboards and Alphas running over 80 need them.

I raced a 38 Fever with stock cases. It set a speed record at 93 and change. It never had any blow out issues. By the way it was one of my favorite boats I have ever run.

imco offshore
01-01-2010, 09:41 PM
MERC MAN is right we run them on all svl,s one year the class fastest boat broke his , and installed a stock bravo lower , proceded to kick all our azzez and won..SCREAMING EAGLE BILOXI 2007 PS he ran over 93 mph.. good luck.hope it all works out

fever 38
01-02-2010, 10:37 AM
thanks for the imput guys.building new motors this winter and trying to get the most bang for buck.hope to see 86 to 88 out of this package.still have to do prop reserch .:huh::huh::banghead::banghead:

imco offshore
01-02-2010, 03:00 PM
call julie at throttle-up,,i,ll bet she can put right on first shot..

fever 38
01-02-2010, 07:15 PM
thanks will give her a cal when i get some #s for her to work with