PDA

View Full Version : 24 - 7 year report

captain55
12-29-2009, 12:44 PM
I have been too busy to write but my 24' Sport with a Yamaha 250 HPDI is now 7 years old. So far the boat is flawless without even a stress crack. The original motor has also performed flawlessly with only annual service (not one repair). Joe and Pepe have provided advice throughout the years. The rigging is bulletproof in rough Florida Bay seas. The boat still runs 62 mph at 5200 rpm with a 23" 3-blade Mirage prop. I have added a Garmin GPS, a depth gauge and Lenco trim tabs. Needless to say I am very happy with 7 years of trouble free boating. The attached pic is Joe delivering the boat on splash day. If I make a change it will be either repower with a 300 or order a 28' with twin Yamaha's. Lastly, we are lucky to have marinas with ethanol free gas. Captain55

Dude! Sweet!
12-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Welcome Cap'n! Great looking boat. Jo's mentioned it before. Glad to see another Pantera brother enjoying his rig!

ar15meister
12-29-2009, 01:31 PM
boat looks great!!

rchevelle71
12-30-2009, 02:04 AM
Cool,

I have also found the 23 mirage to be the best prop, 59.5 with a 250 Merc, but my boat is a bit older(1981), and may weigh a bit more.

captain55
12-30-2009, 12:10 PM
Dude!Sweet!, How is your boat powered? I cannot recognize the engines from the pic. rchevelle71, your boat may be heavier but mine is not light. Do you have tabs? Do you need to trim out the motor to get 59.5 mph? Did you have your prop lab finished (thinner blades)? Is your bottom straight? Is the transom / bottom edge sharp? How much set back is your bracket? I think you can find 3 mph if your want too. Captain55

rchevelle71
12-30-2009, 10:27 PM
Dude!Sweet!, How is your boat powered? I cannot recognize the engines from the pic. rchevelle71, your boat may be heavier but mine is not light. Do you have tabs? Do you need to trim out the motor to get 59.5 mph? Did you have your prop lab finished (thinner blades)? Is your bottom straight? Is the transom / bottom edge sharp? How much set back is your bracket? I think you can find 3 mph if your want too. Captain55

Bottom is straight, Bennett Tabs, slight trim to get 59.5, but too much and I start losing. 10" setback. The 59.5 was also with a full tank, and all gear onboard, and with the 21 mirage plus, I like the handling of the 23 mirage, so I will put it back and find the RPM, I know I can find the 3mph, just gotta play with it a bit:sifone:

Dude! Sweet!
12-31-2009, 01:36 PM

Pair of late '90s 200 Yammy 2 stokers on an SMI bracket. It's kind of a running project. You can check it out in the P-51 Bad Temper thread. :cheers2:

captain55
01-01-2010, 01:12 PM
rchevelle71, I have the same issue with a full tank (70 gallons). I always wondered if Pepe adjusts the location of the tank for 500 pounds in the transom vs. 1100 pounds of big block low and near the center of gravity. I moved most of the weight into the back of my boat. I would not spend a lots of money trying to find 3 mph since the boat cruises easliy at 40 - 45 mph with little fuel consumption (about 10 gallons per hour). If I did anything right now it would be a lab finished prop. I am not interested in a jack plate of any engine mods. captain55

JAIME
02-25-2010, 02:48 AM
nice boat captain 55, that would be cool having your Pantera delivered by water.Congrats Jaime

Mikeb4
02-25-2010, 11:24 AM
nice boat captain 55, that would be cool having your Pantera delivered by water.Congrats Jaime

That's what I was thinking .... how cool would it be to have Jo deliver your boat to you on the water .... awesome! :driving: