PDA

View Full Version : Merc EFI remote fuel pump?

sledge
12-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Are these factory Merc pieces? You can see what looks like an inline pump mounted on the stringers.

My Volvo buddy thinks he lost the LP pump in his fuel assembly. Supposedly you have to buy the complete unit from Volvo - for $600.

txriverrat2001
12-28-2009, 02:28 PM
I've seen a couple of Formulas that have them mounted on the stringers.... ????

MOBILEMERCMAN
12-28-2009, 04:21 PM
Most I have seen on V6's are mounted behind the alternator. On that boat with the tall stringer on the stb engine and the tank there service would be difficult. They may have had to relocate it for clearance. I find it a nice to be able to get to it.

They look like factory pieces to me.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=809969%2096&ivar=images/CRUISER/809969.96/5.png&inbr=1937&bnbr=60&bdesc=FUEL+PUMP+AND+FUEL+FILTER

sledge
12-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Aha...yes the pic is a Formula. So it's probably the boat builder that decided to relocate from the engine to the stringer. I didn't think Merc would make something that didn't normally come bolted to the engine assembly.

But this gives him an idea to keep from having to drop the coin on the Volvo part and just use a remote LP pump to feed the HP.

Thanks!

MOBILEMERCMAN
12-28-2009, 09:20 PM
There are a few different fuel systems used on the EFI Merc. Vapor canister and cool fuel are 2 types . Some don't use a LP only a high pressure. The Vapor canister High pressure pump is about 600 dollars. So do some research before you buy.

Check http://www.promarineusa.com too.

Master Wrench
12-31-2009, 09:39 AM
Those fuel pump kits are add on's made by Mercury to help in the problem area of Vapor Locking. That was a kit you could buy and add in after the fact. We have done a few on Cigarettes and Donzis.

Boat Tech
01-07-2010, 08:29 AM
Those fuel pump kits are add on's made by Mercury to help in the problem area of Vapor Locking. That was a kit you could buy and add in after the fact. We have done a few on Cigarettes and Donzis.X 2 :iagree: Good call, There is even a mercruiser service bulletin on this from back in the day. Bulletin # 99-7.

On the volvo efi fuel pumps even though volvo really never wanted anyone to replace just one of the fuel pumps, There was a very short time you could buy just a fuel pump if needed, [Believe it was 02ish they did that] But it was kind hard to switch out just the pump, You should notice some kind of greenish stuff covering the bolts so you can't just remove them. But then in 03ish volvo stoped selling just the pump and went with the hole fuel pump assembly, And I believe volvo did this for safty reasons.

So "FYI" Because that fuel pump assembly is a fuel holding tank with your fuel pumps sitting inside you might want to try your best to treat the fuel system with some fuel stabilizer, ect, for any kind of storage the boat might do, Short or long term. Those pumps do seem pretty sensitive some times.

Also for you mercruiser owners with the newer gen 3 cool fuel system, You will want to becareful with how long your fuel sits untreated because this system is also a fuel holding tank with the pumps inside.

Ted
01-07-2010, 09:23 AM
Great info there Boat Tech, thanks, and welcome. Does anyone know if those boost pump kits are still available?

Boat Tech
01-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Great info there Boat Tech, thanks, and welcome. Does anyone know if those boost pump kits are still available?Thank you for the welcome.:cheers2:

The boost pump is no longer available from merc. Here is one of the part numbers for that pump [862264A4] But here is a list of who might have some left in stock.

DOLLER OFFSHORE MAR HOLLYWOOD FL UNITED STATES 954-237-0332
LAND N SEA DIST POMPANO BEACH FL UNITED STATES 800-432-7652
NORTH BAY MARINE NEW BALTIMORE MI UNITED STATES 586-725-2628

sledge
01-07-2010, 07:40 PM
On the volvo efi fuel pumps even though volvo really never wanted anyone to replace just one of the fuel pumps, There was a very short time you could buy just a fuel pump if needed, [Believe it was 02ish they did that] But it was kind hard to switch out just the pump

As for the Volvo stuff, there's two pumps: a low pressure (LP) and a high pressure (HP). The HP is readily available; the LP is the tough one due to the fittings. What makes the assembly difficult to seperate is the dual o-rings on each end of the LP...and corrosion.

THe "kit" may be NLA, but BAM's site that MMM linked to showed the pump itself is still available. I'm sure Ebasicpower has the same pump for less.

Welcome :cheers2: