PDA

View Full Version : need a aftermarket locker/posi, chevy G80 gov lock broke

Traviss
12-24-2009, 01:11 AM
I have a 2000 old body style 3/4 chevy pickup with the G80 gov lock rearend. I have lost my limited slip.. all of it. Only one tire will spin no matter what I do. Do the clutches in the unit wear out?, cause I have did my alotment of burnouts and goofin around LOL! I am looking into aftermarket lockers/ posi units and was wondering if anyone had any experiance or advice for what I should use. Just want to replace the GM junk with something decent, not to expensive.

anything is apprecaited. thank you and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Travis

BUIZILLA
12-24-2009, 09:18 AM
you should be able to buy the clutches and springs...

macjazzy
12-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Gov lock rears don't use clutches as far as I know. Its a centrifugal force kind of thing, With weights and locks that fly out and lock when there is a large difference in axle speed form one side to the other. Normally they break, from getting stuck, and hammering it, one wheel is spinning so fast that when the weights spring out they shear off. Or tires that are much larger than stock put a hurting on them.

For stock use they are pretty reliable, and don't need special fluid, or additives, long lasting and have excellent road manners ( no chatter, or dragging on tight turns, etc.)

As far as replacement units, Auburn units are very strong, need to be sent back for rebuids but if your not mudboggin or putting serious power through them, probably won't need to ever be rebuilt.

Or just find a Gov lock rear in a junk yard. They are plentiful and as long as you dont see metal when you pull the cover off it should be fine. They dont really wear out. Work or don't work.

insanity
12-24-2009, 12:44 PM
4wheelparts is having a decent sale on the Auburn. Make sure you stick with a limited slip if you use the truck for towing (which I assume you do).

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrain-Differential/Auburn-Pro-Series-Limited-Slip.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=5589&t_pl=9661&t_pn=AUB542032

macjazzy
12-24-2009, 01:55 PM
Yes, a locker can have very bad road manners. If it locks going around a corner it can steer the truck or make it push in the corner also can be a handfull on wet roads. Limited slip is the way to go for a street driven vehicle.

Wobble
03-04-2010, 11:26 AM
I have a 2000 old body style 3/4 chevy pickup with the G80 gov lock rearend. I have lost my limited slip.. all of it. Only one tire will spin no matter what I do. Do the clutches in the unit wear out?, cause I have did my alotment of burnouts and goofin around LOL! I am looking into aftermarket lockers/ posi units and was wondering if anyone had any experiance or advice for what I should use. Just want to replace the GM junk with something decent, not to expensive.

anything is apprecaited. thank you and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Travis

If you didnt find one yet. This is a great source for rear end components.

http://stores.ebay.com/iwerearendsonly