PDA

View Full Version : Saugatuck, MI the 80's

Shawn
12-22-2009, 10:55 AM
Does anyone have pics. from the Coral Gables Offshore races in Saugatuck Michigan from back in the 80's? Just looking to see who was there back then.

Thanks,
Shawn

Offshore Ginger
12-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Does anyone have pics. from the Coral Gables Offshore races in Saugatuck Michigan from back in the 80's? Just looking to see who was there back then.

Thanks,
ShawnFunny thing that you mention that i have a tee of the Saugatuck. Douglas offshore Challenge and i might have some pics of that , i remember it like it was yesterday a lot of us Skater boys were there including pete .

Shawn
12-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Funny thing that you mention that i have a tee of the Saugatuck. Douglas offshore Challenge and i might have some pics of that , i remember it like it was yesterday a lot of us Skater boys were there including pete .

Funnier thing is that you said "including Pete". I always just assumed that you were Pete H.! Guess I better stop assuming. ;o)

Offshore Ginger
12-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Funnier thing is that you said "including Pete". I always just assumed that you were Pete H.! Guess I better stop assuming. ;o) ha ha ha, No just an ex employee of over 12 years .:bump::sifone: Shawn i see that you live in Holland also and where might that be ?

Shawn
12-22-2009, 08:24 PM
I live on the South side of Holland. Near the entrance to Castle Park. How about you?

Offshore Ginger
12-23-2009, 12:52 AM
I live on the South side of Holland. Near the entrance to Castle Park. How about you? Waukazoo wood's across the street from lake Mac on the poor side of the street.

Shawn
12-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Notice i said "near the entrance" to Castle Park....they won't acually let me in there! Do you have a Skater?

Offshore Ginger
12-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Notice i said "near the entrance" to Castle Park....they won't acually let me in there! Do you have a Skater? Sold a 24 that i was working on in between doing glass work for everybody else and after the first of the year i will start looking for another project .I did notice that you mentioned near the entrance and like everybody else soon as you mention castle park or waukazoo woods they all think your loaded $$$$$$$$$$$$$$:rofl::rofl::rofl: Shawn , i will try to dig up some pics if i can , but not really sure where to start .:confused::bump:

skrap
10-10-2011, 11:18 PM
I was working for Howard Arneson when we won our first race in Saugatuck, Michigan on August 14, 1982. I didn't take many pictures, but I know a lot of the people who were there. We stayed at "The Castle," in Castle Park, Michigan. I remember it was a very old hotel which had about 10 or 20 tennis courts on the property. Race HQ was the Coral Gables restaurant. In fact, the race was the Coral Gables Challenge Cup. Betty Cook won it the year before after Tony Garcia and Terry Laughlin broke a drive in very rough water. It was Tony and Sammy James in the boat in '82 and me and Howard Tobeck were the crew. It was a great time.

John

Ratickle
10-11-2011, 10:41 PM
I'll see what I have that early...

skrap
10-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Here's the cover of Powerboat magazine after the 1982 race.