PDA

View Full Version : Saab r.i.p.

MikeyFIN
12-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Never been a fan of SAABīs but didnīt wish itīs demise, First olds then pontiac then Buicks in china now SAAB ,,why not Axe Opel also while at it or Alltogether ??
Always hated the GM beancounters making the whole company so damn slow to react and conservative so Opel wouldīve been fitting to ditch ?

Expensive Date
12-18-2009, 06:02 PM
My first car was and Opel GT cool car.

MikeyFIN
12-18-2009, 06:07 PM
Agree on the GT.. Great body on simple technicals, have had and still have several friends who has one.
Thereīs always exception to the rule even with Opel.
The B Ascona, B Kadett Rallye ( Buick/Opel), Lotus Omega etc... but other than that no real forerunners in new stuff.

MikeyFIN
12-18-2009, 06:10 PM
Note the starter...is he from a circus or what?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMBVzsEWvW4

Dude! Sweet!
12-18-2009, 08:25 PM
First car I ever crushed with a truck was an Opel wagon... :D

In my mind Saabs kind of lost what they were after the 900. Before that, they were a weird little hobby for aerospace engineers. The Sonnetts (especially the two strokers) and the 96s had a lot of personality. But the 9000 and after... Might as well have been Chevy Cavaliers... Lipstick on a pig.

BUIZILLA
12-18-2009, 08:38 PM
anything with the ignition key in the console is wierd.. :smash:

Buick is thriving in China FinBoy... :cheers2:

not that I know anything about Buicks... :)

tsp
12-18-2009, 08:46 PM
I like my 9-7x. Got a good price on it too.

Dude! Sweet!
12-18-2009, 08:56 PM
TONAWANDA, N.Y. (WIVB) - This means the end of the line for more than 150 jobs. The GM Plant in Tonawanda will no longer produce the V-8 Engine. Workers had been building the "big block" engine since 1958, but it only accounted for three percent of the plant's annual output. 150 workers are saying goodbye to a milestone in General Motors history. As of Friday, December 18th, the GM Plant in Tonawanda rolled out its last V-8 engine. Workers were told the engine line was coming to an end back in June.

BillR
12-18-2009, 09:07 PM
I liked the 99 EMS! Also the 96 2 strokes were cool with 4 on the tree!
Good car until GM took them over, but it doesn't deserve to die. . . . .

publius
01-03-2010, 05:39 PM
I'm not shedding any tears over Saab, just the gov't involvement in a private enterprise. I do hate to see Pontiac go, even though they haven't done anything worth a damn recently. Therew was always hope they would bring the GTO up to the performance level of the new camaro. Lot of history gone there.

mikes280
01-03-2010, 09:07 PM
From an auto tech. stand point i will loose no sleep over it, i hate them. The engineering on those cars is a joke, they are hard to work on hard to fix and hard to diagnosis.

Audiofn
01-04-2010, 10:32 PM
I liked the 99 EMS! Also the 96 2 strokes were cool with 4 on the tree!
Good car until GM took them over, but it doesn't deserve to die. . . . .

Bill I used to run on of those with I put a 1985 turbo motor in with about 35-40 pounds of boost depending on the weather. Thing was SUPER fast but ran out of gear at about 110 mph.

Audiofn
01-04-2010, 10:35 PM
From an auto tech. stand point i will loose no sleep over it, i hate them. The engineering on those cars is a joke, they are hard to work on hard to fix and hard to diagnosis.

If ya know how to work on them they are a piece of cake.

My wifes car has 170,000 miles on a 2004 and so far she put brakes on it and a power steering pump and drop links for the sway bar. Everything you can do on it is no more difficult then any other car. I replaced the power steering pump in about 3 min. Then again I don't think a 928 is hard to work on either. :D Just got to understand the car and they are easy. My buddy and I used to order a pizza, pull the car in and have the car back outside with a new clutch in it before the pizza would get there.:cheers2:

Wrinkleface
01-04-2010, 11:29 PM
I have a Turbo X leased, awesome car!! Sux in the snow w/ the performance tires! Pay'n 2 much 4 it but Chit happens!!

Wobble
01-05-2010, 09:58 PM
I had an Opel commodore GS for a while when working in Europe in the late 70,s awesome car. 2.8 injected, it was fast and had excellent road manners. Almost identical to this one except it was white.

http://www.habitamos.com/post/4521478/vendo_opel_commodore_28i_gs_coupe

mikes280
01-06-2010, 11:19 PM
If ya know how to work on them they are a piece of cake.

My wifes car has 170,000 miles on a 2004 and so far she put brakes on it and a power steering pump and drop links for the sway bar. Everything you can do on it is no more difficult then any other car. I replaced the power steering pump in about 3 min. Then again I don't think a 928 is hard to work on either. :D Just got to understand the car and they are easy. My buddy and I used to order a pizza, pull the car in and have the car back outside with a new clutch in it before the pizza would get there.:cheers2:i see your point but 30 plus years in the business and a ASE master i have see them all and that one you can have.

Audiofn
01-08-2010, 07:47 AM
i see your point but 30 plus years in the business and a ASE master i have see them all and that one you can have.

You must like to work on rusty Fords and Chev.'s. You know the cars that shoot out thier spark plugs and stuff. :D

Biggus
01-08-2010, 12:16 PM
You must like to work on rusty Fords and Chev.'s. You know the cars that shoot out thier spark plugs and stuff. :D

...Saab lover:ack2:

MikeyFIN
01-08-2010, 01:01 PM
anything with the ignition key in the console is wierd.. :smash:

Buick is thriving in China FinBoy... :cheers2:

not that I know anything about Buicks... :)

I Rather see them Thriving in Flint and Kansas at least..
Now you got me warm!!!
I just came from freezing my fingers off at the storage and sold a Pontiac spare wheel to a guy for a 70 GTO, also has a 68 Firebird 400 ( those are SWEET).

Hey a buddy I know has his daugther married with Dave Fiscus....

Back to the thread I hated the older saab and started almost to grow into these GM derivates..but thenagain Iīm a GM guy.

And Seems Saabs story isnīt totally finished yet.

MikeyFIN
01-08-2010, 01:05 PM

Naaaw I wouldnītnowabout theemm foord and cheevviieees shootin Thieeerr spark plugs off, neeeever happened to mee buut them italllian joobs yeah theyīve done it when some jerk hadda overtigten theem spaark plugs and striiipped theem threeeads...

MikeyFIN
01-08-2010, 01:14 PM
I had an Opel commodore GS for a while when working in Europe in the late 70,s awesome car. 2.8 injected, it was fast and had excellent road manners. Almost identical to this one except it was white.

http://www.habitamos.com/post/4521478/vendo_opel_commodore_28i_gs_coupe

Excellent is a Stretch for a Commdore GS/E but they were raced by a good friend of mine a bit.
http://www.jokkekallioracing.com/commodore.gif

And Commodore GS also had a movie stunt worth showing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFOAdKRJU_s

Audiofn
01-08-2010, 03:29 PM
...Saab lover:ack2:

Easy there big fella you got a Subaru!

mikes280
01-08-2010, 10:03 PM
You must like to work on rusty Fords and Chev.'s. You know the cars that shoot out thier spark plugs and stuff. :Dyea and all other imports BMW's to and Benz. so yes i have seen how most all the different guys do things and i can find something i like and don't like in most all of them. Oh and my little girl drives a subaru and i like it, funny how some of the later saabs are nothing more then a subaru , but to me that was a improvment:driving:

Slandrew
01-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Saab sad they will be gone!:(I remember Red one with a 2cycle motor me & my brother hot wired 1 on a farm way before you should be driving 1960's:eek: