PDA

View Full Version : Speedmaster III question/problem

Jeffro
12-17-2009, 08:44 AM
I'm getting a little water in one of my #3 drives. My local mechanic, MGD suspects the prop shaft seal and really doesn't want to mess with it. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Jeff

MOBILEMERCMAN
12-17-2009, 08:56 AM
Need to send to send it to some one with the tools. Colabella, Bamm, TNT are the ones that I know have them.

Craig Colabella would be my first pick in St Cloud. He is one of the old Lake X techs. 407 498 0094

Ted
12-17-2009, 10:17 AM
:iagree:

MOBILEMERCMAN
12-17-2009, 10:36 AM
FYI The hardened shafts in all speedmaster rust. They require extra care. Ideally they get cleaned every time they are used in salt. I know this is not always practical. You should however remove the prop, clean and grease the shaft splines and seal surfaces at once a month minimum IMO.

Geronimo36
12-17-2009, 11:10 AM
FYI The hardened shafts in all speedmaster rust. They require extra care. Ideally they get cleaned every time they are used in salt. I know this is not always practical. You should however remove the prop, clean and grease the shaft splines and seal surfaces at once a month minimum IMO.

I agree Jim!! I hated the carbon steel shafts on my BMax's as well... same problem... I converted to XR shafts even though they are a little weaker.

You can have the shaft spray welded with SS or ceramic coated around the seal area. We also used to put a stainless steel "speed sleeve" over the seal area.

Jeffro, if you need any drives I know where two of them are... They were refreshed by Speedmasters and have low hours.:cheers2:

Jeffro
12-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll call the # Mobilemercman gave me and get this taken care of.

I have not been pulling my props off regularly. I changed the drive fluids before I towed to KW and one had some evidence of water in the fluid. I haven't checked it since I got back. I did notice the last time I pulled the props off there was some water that was behind the props. I appreciate the advice of pulling the props regularly.

I hope I don't need drives. One is a little lose, I get some oil that pukes out of the vents inside the transom, alittle water in one but other than that they have been good to me.

I appreciate the responses

Jeff

marinetrans
12-17-2009, 07:16 PM
If needed we have all the #3 tools, just did 2 #6 wet sumps.We have the shafts sprayed and either ceramic coated or a tri metal mix. 508-993-5050 pete. Massachusetts.

MERPerformance
12-17-2009, 07:46 PM
I would send it to; Jerry Hainey, in North Carolina. He has 2 of my #3 if you need parts or a complete drive. I can get you his phone #

MOBILEMERCMAN
12-17-2009, 08:29 PM
Frank, If I had them hangin on the back I would have to change the name from "Lucky" to "King Me".