PDA

View Full Version : What did geico do today ????

imco offshore
12-15-2009, 04:56 PM
does anyone have the lowdown on the Geico run?

Bilgerat
12-15-2009, 06:02 PM
I've been thinking the same thing, Been looking everywhere, can't find any info, no mobile uploads, Hope everything is ok.

JupiterSunsation
12-15-2009, 07:40 PM
December 15, 2009 - Tuesday
Miss GEICO Shatters Speed Record
Category: Sports
Riviera Beach, FL - Under unexpected rainy skies and hazardous sea conditions, the neon green Miss GEICO catamaran with its roaring turbine engines weathered the elements in establishing a new World Record Speed Run on Tuesday, December 15, 2009.

World Champion driver, Marc Granet and throttleman, Scott Begovich, joined by Captain Johnathan Hillstrand of the Time Bandit from the “Deadliest Catch” set out from Government Cut in ..Miami.. and sped north to ....Palm Beach..... Team Owner, Captain John Haggin, re-aggravated an old racing back injury minutes into the speed run and had to call it quits and return back in one of the two safety helicopters.

The Discovery Channel sent two of its most experienced cameramen to cover the speed run and their awesome footage will undoubtedly be seen in next season’s “Deadliest Catch.” The ear to ear grin of Captain Hillstrand summed up this momentous occasion. “It was incredible,” exclaimed Hillstrand.

The World Champion Miss GEICO boat covered the 78 miles in slightly over 45 minutes and averaged in excess of 100 mph despite the treacherous ocean swells and showers.

Team Owner, Captain John Haggin, was thrilled to witness yet another World Record achievement for Miss GEICO. “I continue to be humbled by the performance of my entire racing team. It has been a long racing season and with our 4th consecutive World Championship and now smashing a world speed record in my hometown is simply fantastic.”

Marc Granet and Scott Begovich and the entire AMF race team unfortunately will not rest easy this offseason. The national boat shows begin in January with the first race in May and already there are several new challengers looking to defeat Miss GEICO in 2010

Next Generation
12-15-2009, 07:46 PM
Awsome! Congrats guys!

imco offshore
12-15-2009, 07:51 PM
what was the old record? and by who?

MarylandMark
12-15-2009, 08:51 PM
what was the old record? and by who?

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12868

The Cigarette Caveman today joined the Miss GEICO Race Team and special guest, Jonathan Hillstrand, of the Discovery Channel’s “Deadliest Catch” as they set off on a mission--to set a base speed record from Miami to Palm Beach.

As the 38 Top Gun Cigarette Caveman acted as the “pace” boat from the channel at Grove Harbour Marina, in Coconut Grove en route to the Loggerhead Marina in Jupiter, Florida some 78miles away, it was sunshine and blue skies. The earlier squalls and rain that blew through Miami had cleared, and while the wind seemed to be picking up, the crew was ready for a safe, fun run north with team owner John Haggin and Hillstrand riding with driver and throttleman Marc Granett and Scott Begovich at the controls of the Miss GEICO race boat. The goal was not to break any speed records, but rather to set a benchmark to create a new record to break! It was also the opportunity for Hillstrand to experience the ride at 100+ mph in a state-of-the-art turbine-powered catamaran—and unusual and exciting experience for a man who generally fishes for Alaskan King Crab in the Bering Sea! The Discovery Channel was on hand to catch Hillstrand in his new “racy” role!

As often happens in South Florida, the weather just north of Dade and Broward counties varied greatly though only miles away. Craig Wilson, Powerboat P1’s Evolution Class Champion from 2007 and 2008 was along for the ride in the Cigarette Racing Team’s Caveman boat and reported that the seas were ugly—like a washing machine with rain pouring down and winds seeming to come from all directions.

Despite the unfavorable conditions, everyone made it safely and we’ll await the official speed from the forthcoming Miss GEICO Racing Team press release. Said Hillstrand, “I wouldn’t pass this opportunity up for the world! These guys might have a more dangerous job per capita than I do! This is the coolest thing I’ve done in my life!” And that’s something coming from a guy who fishes in Alaskan waters!

104MPH average

jet
12-15-2009, 10:01 PM
TITS that great guys congrates

AugiePensa
12-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Congrats Scotty, Marc

THEJOKER
12-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Nice job Scotty! It's nice to see one of the good guy's get to do so much and go so fast. I remember when you raced the 24 Pantera. You the man......

Fast Shafts
12-16-2009, 11:55 AM
We'd love to see Scott/Mark bring back that 24 Pantera in class 6-there is more competition here than in the turbine class!:driving::sifone::D Congrats on setting a record!

imco offshore
12-16-2009, 05:18 PM
Miss GEICO Shatters Speed Record
Category: Sports
Riviera Beach, FL - Under unexpected rainy skies and hazardous sea conditions, the neon green Miss GEICO catamaran with its roaring turbine engines weathered the elements in establishing a new World Record Speed Run on Tuesday, December 15, 2009.

World Champion driver, Marc Granet and throttleman, Scott Begovich, joined by Captain Johnathan Hillstrand of the Time Bandit from the “Deadliest Catch” set out from Government Cut in ..Miami.. and sped north to ....Palm Beach..... Team Owner, Captain John Haggin, re-aggravated an old racing back injury minutes into the speed run and had to call it quits and return back in one of the two safety helicopters.

The Discovery Channel sent two of its most experienced cameramen to cover the speed run and their awesome footage will undoubtedly be seen in next season’s “Deadliest Catch.” The ear to ear grin of Captain Hillstrand summed up this momentous occasion. “It was incredible,” exclaimed Hillstrand.

The World Champion Miss GEICO boat covered the 78 miles in slightly over 45 minutes and averaged in excess of 100 mph despite the treacherous ocean swells and showers.

Team Owner, Captain John Haggin, was thrilled to witness yet another World Record achievement for Miss GEICO. “I continue to be humbled by the performance of my entire racing team. It has been a long racing season and with our 4th consecutive World Championship and now smashing a world speed record in my hometown is simply fantastic.”

Granet and Scott Begovich and the entire AMF race team unfortunately will not rest easy this offseason. The national boat shows begin in January with the first race in May and already there are several new challengers looking to defeat Miss GEICO in 2010

TYPHOON
12-16-2009, 10:12 PM
Records ARE MADE TO BE BROKE!!!!! Congrats on setting the new bar.
Randy

Xtreme Air
12-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Great Job!! Congrats fellows....

Ratickle
12-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Nice job guys, bet that record won't last too long though.....

Now are both of you going crab fishing with the Captain?????:)