PDA

View Full Version : It's about time!!!

T2x
12-07-2009, 05:13 PM
APBA and Offshore groups meet

As part of efforts to strengthen the sport of power boat racing, the American Power Boat Association (APBA) invited representatives from the Offshore Performance Association (OPA), Offshore Super Series (OSS), Pacific Offshore Powerboat Racing Association (POPRA), and P1 USA Offshore Racing to discuss the future of Offshore racing.
A day-long meeting took place on December 5, 2009 at APBA Headquarters in Eastpointe, MI. Representatives from OSS, POPRA, and P1 USA participated; no one from OPA was able to attend. APBA was represented by President Mark Weber, Vice President Mark Wheeler, Secretary Jean MacKay-Schwartz, Treasurer Laurie Allen and Executive Director Gloria Urbin.
President Weber emphasized that APBA is no longer leasing the Offshore category, and will not lease Offshore in the future. Weber made it clear that APBA stands ready to work with groups to sanction Offshore races. Anyone with questions concerning APBA and Offshore racing should contact APBA Headquarters in Eastpointe at 586-773-9700 or apbahq@apba-racing.com.
It was not the goal of the December 5 meeting to make formal agreements among those in attendance. No agreements were proposed, or reached. All participants concur that continued discussions will take place, with the goal of enhancing Offshore racing within the United States.

THEJOKER
12-07-2009, 05:19 PM
That is great news!

Dude! Sweet!
12-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Wow. Who went out from POPRA?

mikey
12-07-2009, 06:52 PM
I have heard Bob Teague and Kevin Copper

Ryan Beckley
12-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Neither Bob nor Kevin are on the POPRA board.

THEJOKER
12-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Was SBI there?

cigdaze
12-07-2009, 07:24 PM
This is encouraging. Let us hope that those involved can succeed in bettering the state of affairs in offshore racing.

XtremeRacing
12-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Be interesting to see what APBA proposes.

mikey
12-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Neither Bob nor Kevin are on the POPRA board.

May be so but I did hear they were going to be there.

SVL66
12-07-2009, 08:56 PM
I think Brad Johnson went on behalf of POPRA.

mikey
12-07-2009, 09:44 PM
I think Brad Johnson went on behalf of POPRA.

I did hear his name as well. Thanks Bruce and I got you email will be in touch in a few days.

THEJOKER
12-07-2009, 09:58 PM
This is encouraging. Let us hope that those involved can succeed in bettering the state of affairs in offshore racing. I hear ya. I hope APBA can get things back the way it was in 1999-2002. I'm all about spec racing w/ sealed motors.

SVL66
12-07-2009, 10:10 PM
I did hear his name as well. Thanks Bruce and I got you email will be in touch in a few days.

Roger that ....thanks

Pete B
12-07-2009, 10:50 PM
so who was there?? and what happened??

Steve Miklos
12-08-2009, 08:39 AM
APBA is (or has been in the past) a sanctioning body. The model requires clubs to put on the races. If you look back at 1996 that was the model. The rulebook was archaic and fraught with holes.

I am an APBA supporter I would like to see them involved. But unless things have changed Offshore is a category that APBA will support by offering insurance UIM etc. They do not produce races develop products (classes) etc. That has largely been done by volunteers for decades.

Not throwing a damp rag on things just setting the expectation of what APBA involvement has been in the past.
Steve

TYPHOON
12-08-2009, 09:16 AM
From what I was told:
SBI no show
OPA no show
P1-USA IN THE HOUSE
OSS IN THE HOUSE
POPRA IN THE HOUSE

There has been a press release that APBA sent out, maybe someone could post it.
Not sure why some Org. didnt show. This was the perfect opportunity to have all sit in a room and talk. I personaly would have locked the door until they all agreed on unity in some way. I believe with all talking face to face it could have been done but another opportunity gone.:(:(
MD

XtremeRacing
12-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Randy I dont think it would be that hard to put a meeting together,and now might be the right time it is early know before schedules come out in the next few wks. I know from that I hear SBI schedule should be cpmplete in the next few wks and out befrore the end of the yr. All it would take is a few phone calls. I know Smitty and John have talked and started that ball rolling.

cigdaze
12-08-2009, 09:25 AM
Brian & Randy:

The clip Rich posted is directly from the APBA website's newsdesk;

"the American Power Boat Association (APBA) invited representatives from the Offshore Performance Association (OPA), Offshore Super Series (OSS), Pacific Offshore Powerboat Racing Association (POPRA), and P1 USA Offshore Racing"
http://www.apba-racing.com/apps/news/index.php

SBI was not invited.

XtremeRacing
12-08-2009, 09:33 AM
As Steve was saying the Org. still have to get and promote their own race sites, and with the times the way they r now and money being such any issue in the past how does APBA help or change anything. It would add additon fews for every team, and for each race ? That was a big problem in the past when SBI held the agreement and the main reason they gave it up. The cost get out of controll and no benifit.

Pete B
12-08-2009, 11:06 AM
As Steve was saying the Org. still have to get and promote their own race sites, and with the times the way they r now and money being such any issue in the past how does APBA help or change anything. It would add additon fews for every team, and for each race ? That was a big problem in the past when SBI held the agreement and the main reason they gave it up. The cost get out of controll and no benifit.

Just for my understanding: now that SBI no longer has the APBA/UIM title, it isnt really all it was cracked up to be??? what about the kilo record's and the hall of champions, etc???

XtremeRacing
12-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Pete ,
Not that it isnt cracked up to be ??? SBI tried it and just didnt see any advantage but gave it a shot. It did add cost thats for sure. So with times the way they r SBI felt it made more scence to try and keep cost down. Also opens the door for other ORG. to race with SBI if they r members of another ORG. without having to pay APBA fee's and just race fee's . I know that was always a big issue for a lot of teams. That was something Randy has always tried to work on and now it can happen. I know SBI and OPA have that agreement already. Possible it will help in the futhure time will tell....

Steve Miklos
12-08-2009, 12:53 PM
APBA and UIM are what you make of them.
In the case of the LLC we made it a center piece.
In the case of OPT they did not.
The reason I mention the LLC and OPT is because they had the most marketed events in the sports history.
Depending on insurance costs it (APBA) can be very little cost or a significant amount.

You cannot lock people in a room and make them do a deal they will stick to. You have not for profits and for profit entity's their motives will be very different. I personally think there is no such thing as a highly successfully main stream marketed not for profit racing entity. Smitty is doing great but big sponsors will want to see a profit motive.

Simply put boat racing is not a charity.

Steve

Chris
12-08-2009, 01:20 PM
What does Unlimited hydroplane racing have that Offshore doesn't?

I'm far from an expert, but it seems like there are fewer than a dozen teams in Unlimited and they pack the shores wherever they go. And they appear to attract sponsors. Non-marine sponsors at that.

Pete B
12-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Then I must ask why in the world would there be constant bickering over anything less than APBA/UIM sanction, was nothing??? Now it seems as well it really wasnt that important, and well not worth the money. So does this mean the titles and championships are really nothing as well?

XtremeRacing
12-08-2009, 01:34 PM
I dont know the anwser to that, does the OSS/OPA titles mean anything???

XtremeRacing
12-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Pete ,

Not sure where u r trying to go , but maybe u should just come out and say what u really want to say so the rest of us can try and move in the right direction FORWARD

I already said SBI tried and it didnt seem to work for THEM, never said it might be worth something to another Org. to run there banner. SBI , OPA, and OSS has always has titles and Kilo's with our without APBA..... why would anything change. All I said is that cost was a major factor to SBI and felt it would work better for the future plan.

XtremeRacing
12-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Not sure who was bickering about the APBA lic. I think at the time it was avalible who every wanted to pay for it could of had it. Didint see anyone stepping up to the plate ??? But now if it is so important who ever want can run the banner win win for everyone.

imco offshore
12-08-2009, 01:50 PM
What does Unlimited hydroplane racing have that Offshore doesn't?

I'm far from an expert, but it seems like there are fewer than a dozen teams in Unlimited and they pack the shores wherever they go. And they appear to attract sponsors. Non-marine sponsors at that.

they have ONE premier class, if you want to race in un hyd,you build to that rule book ,,,simple...offshore racing,, builds boats knowone else has and pays for a class thus we have 20 classes..bottom line NO SHOW,, example,,cats 1 turbine 2 unlimited 2 850 semi limited 2 850 limited 2 750 limited 2 750 unlimited 2 super ,,,ect,,,not exact but you get the point,,,and v,s are even worse,,,,we will never have ( THE BIG SHOW) UNTILL their is a single rule book to build by,,and all org,s reconize it.. bracket racing is fine,,,speck racing needs 2 v,s single and twins,,,cats super and unlimited,,cat outboabd i know all the cat owners can afford to run the same engine,,i don,t think they really want to line up with 15 others in the same class,,right now every cat finishes on the podium,daaaa ,,, thats my 2 cents,,,,:smash:

XtremeRacing
12-08-2009, 01:54 PM
As George was saying another factor is if and when a class does kick off alot of the teams bail, we have been there ..... 15 F1 , 15 F2 , 12 SV , 8-10 SCL . and 10 SVL. I dont think u can blame any of the Org. for those classes going away, its the racers.

Chris
12-08-2009, 01:57 PM
I suppose then that proves the contention that you must field a winner to attract a sponsor to be false. So then is it pure ego that has put us in the position of having dozens of classes with two boats in each? And if so, where's the ego gratification in winning against no competition?

I think the OPA bracket stuff is fantastic for the sportsman racer. And I think that's the perfect Saturday show. Fill the day with the warmup act.

Can you imagine how many 750 cats you could put on the course for the cost of the turbine teams alone? Toss in the supercats...

imco offshore
12-08-2009, 02:05 PM
chris your right,,go to a awards banquit, and watch a single boat class winner on the stage,, you would think they just won an oscar...better yet read their press release the next day,,some how they raced against 30 other boats,,,

XtremeRacing
12-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Lol

TYPHOON
12-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Thats the advantage of haveing APBA rules that we all follow!!!! Here are the classes we offer. No more no less. Build a boat to fit a class. Now if you can get all the org. to honor those rules and not start classes beacause they need more boat count we could build something. Thats the drive behind having APBA sanction Offshore. We are all so affraid to reduce classes thinking we will lose boats and they will go race in another Org. Now if the org's. had a pact that they will only offer the same classes we would have some racing. We need 5-7 boats min. per class to allow it in the big show!
MD

XtremeRacing
12-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Interesting I didnt think APBA had a rule book with classes I thought it read Offshore? What classes do they offer ??

TYPHOON
12-08-2009, 05:32 PM
They dont at this point. I believe they are trying to get Offshore back on the right track.
MD

Steve Miklos
12-08-2009, 07:54 PM
In the past they did not right the rules but did use influence to keep some manufacturers out of racing at the annual meetings.
Steve

XtremeRacing
12-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Randy you are correct I did some checking today, and from my understanding they dont have a rule book for Offshroe and that is not their goal. They r interested in membership fee's from the racers, and sanctioning fee from the Org.and I also beleive they can supply insurance but I'm not sure of the cost good or bad.

On a side note if we as racers have to pay addition fee's to APBA to make a rule book for us I hate to say it but thats pretty sad . Every team would have to hold a membership card or else no cross racing again. That was the issue SBI had and has resolved.

Steve Miklos
12-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Randy
The rulebook you always saw was not a product of APBA. It was a product of the LLC.
If you saw the old rulebook you would realize it was very open to abuse.

The first rewrite was Gene W. 1997 when Mike, Pepper and I brought factory class to life. Gene wanted an X dimension and weight rules we fought him ,by race 3 we knew we needed weight rules. In 2000 we brought in the X dimension also.
In 1998 the rules got a complete overhaul closing many loopholes this happened again in 2000 and 2003. The last two rewrites were Mike A. and myself. We learned much from people like Chuck Sprague and Charlie Strang about mistakes Nascar and Cart had made and did our best not to repeat them. We angered the old guard by not deferring to them but they had produced the past products that were so unenforceable.

As far as reducing classes we did it and Mike Carter took care of the excluded boats by transforming local 1 and 2 into the P class with GPS units you see today.

Supercat was mainly George Linder who set the weights and tunnel ratios. I delivered the spec head and engine program. Charlie Strang and I later added the restricted carb and rev limit while at Mercury Racing. It was the first tome Charlie had been in the building in decades.
Andrew Corn expanded the homologation rules.

The products created were
Factory 1,2 and 3 (later Supercat lite) replaced A,B and Modified
Super V lite and Super V replaced canopied A,B Super V
Supercat replaced Open and Superboat

These rules are still in use for the most part at SBI and OSS. The part that is always subject to interpretation is tech procedures and enforcement.
Steve

Pete B
12-08-2009, 11:14 PM
I suppose then that proves the contention that you must field a winner to attract a sponsor to be false. So then is it pure ego that has put us in the position of having dozens of classes with two boats in each? And if so, where's the ego gratification in winning against no competition?

I think the OPA bracket stuff is fantastic for the sportsman racer. And I think that's the perfect Saturday show. Fill the day with the warmup act.

Can you imagine how many 750 cats you could put on the course for the cost of the turbine teams alone? Toss in the supercats...

Well said!

THEJOKER
12-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Randy
The rulebook you always saw was not a product of APBA. It was a product of the LLC.
If you saw the old rulebook you would realize it was very open to abuse.

The first rewrite was Gene W. 1997 when Mike Pepper and I brought factory class to life. Gene wanted an X dimension and weight rules we fought him by race 3 we knew we needed weight rules in 2000 we brought in the X dimension.
In 1998 the rules got a complete overhaul closing many loopholes this happened again in 2000 and 2003. The last two rewrites were Mike A. and myself. we learned much from people like Chuck Sprague and Charlie Strang about mistakes Nascar and Cart had made and did our best not to repeat them. We angered the old guard by not defering to them but they had produce the past products that were so unenforceable.

As far as reducing classes we did it and Mike Carter took care of the excluded boats by transforming local 1 and 2 into the P class with GPS units you see today.

Supercat was mainly George Linder who set the weights and tunnel ratios. I delivered the spec head and engine program. Charlie Strang and I later added the restricted carb and rev limit.
Andrew Corn expanded the homologation rules.

The products created were
Factory 1,2 and 3 (later Supercat lite) replaced A,B and Modified
Super V lite and Super V replaced canopied A,B Super V
Supercat replaced Open and Superboat

These rules are still in use for the most part at SBI and OSS. The part that is always subject to interpretation is tech procedures and enforcement.
steve Steve is right on the money and this formula was successful. Open Class was 1 boat racing in 1999 and then Super Cat was unleashed. It worked and it worked well.

imco offshore
12-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Randy you are correct I did some checking today, and from my understanding they dont have a rule book for Offshroe and that is not their goal. They r interested in membership fee's from the racers, and sanctioning fee from the Org.and I also beleive they can supply insurance but I'm not sure of the cost good or bad.

On a side note if we as racers have to pay addition fee's to APBA to make a rule book for us I hate to say it but thats pretty sad . Every team would have to hold a membership card or else no cross racing again. That was the issue SBI had and has resolved.

Frank, hi,,,I think if APBA was to write a rule book,and SBI nad OSS was to use it ,,their would 3 times as many boats in each class,,like i,v been saying ,,,IT WOULD FORCE YOU TO PICK A CLASS AND BUILD TO IT,,,simple that would be called UNIFICATION,,,so now that we know the answer,what do you think is going to happen,,,,,i,ll help your guess,,,NOTHING,,,

Dunbar 104
12-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Maybe a good start would be to have an apba rule book, or approved classes. I don't see any org standing up for the rules like enforcing mininum boat count for a class on the fear of loosing boats.

Pete B
12-09-2009, 10:42 AM
APBA needs to say we will only recognise the following classes you guys pick the class and submit them. for Kilos, and Hall of Champions, and the Coveted US1 Title.

AugiePensa
12-09-2009, 01:44 PM
APBA and Offshore groups meet

As part of efforts to strengthen the sport of power boat racing, the American Power Boat Association (APBA) invited representatives from the Offshore Performance Association (OPA), Offshore Super Series (OSS), Pacific Offshore Powerboat Racing Association (POPRA), and P1 USA Offshore Racing to discuss the future of Offshore racing.
A day-long meeting took place on December 5, 2009 at APBA Headquarters in Eastpointe, MI. Representatives from OSS, POPRA, and P1 USA participated; no one from OPA was able to attend. APBA was represented by President Mark Weber, Vice President Mark Wheeler, Secretary Jean MacKay-Schwartz, Treasurer Laurie Allen and Executive Director Gloria Urbin.
President Weber emphasized that APBA is no longer leasing the Offshore category, and will not lease Offshore in the future. Weber made it clear that APBA stands ready to work with groups to sanction Offshore races. Anyone with questions concerning APBA and Offshore racing should contact APBA Headquarters in Eastpointe at 586-773-9700 or apbahq@apba-racing.com.
It was not the goal of the December 5 meeting to make formal agreements among those in attendance. No agreements were proposed, or reached. All participants concur that continued discussions will take place, with the goal of enhancing Offshore racing within the United States.

Hey Rich, neither Smitty or I received a call or e-mail inviting OPA to this meeting. I have a call out to Gloria and Mark at APBA as of today. Will keep you up to date!

T2x
12-09-2009, 06:19 PM
Hey Rich, neither Smitty or I received a call or e-mail inviting OPA to this meeting. I have a call out to Gloria and Mark at APBA as of today. Will keep you up to date!

That's interesting.............

Thanks for the update.

T2x

imco offshore
12-09-2009, 07:47 PM

hey Augie how are you feeling? great i hope,,, i have a question,,,are you positive knowone called?

SVL66
12-09-2009, 09:42 PM

Sorry Augie...I find that hard to believe too. You guys (Smitty especially) knew there was a meeting coming up. If you really wanted to go, Im sure you would have reached out to someone to get the specifics. Besides...what input could you possibly have? Smitty's been carrying the ball. you dont even come to the races and support the organization in which you supposedly have a vested interest in. Sorry for lashing out, but Im tired of all the BS excuses.

XtremeRacing
12-09-2009, 09:45 PM
I think your right George if it was that easy we could do that ourselves. Lol

AugiePensa
12-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Smitty received a call a day prior to the meeting per our conversation yesterday and couldn't make the trip. Mark said he thought they called, Smitty said no call back on his phone and no e-mail. As for me I was back in the hospital that week but Mark now has all my info. Bruce, it's only BS if you look for something that ain't there. You have no idea how much I've supported OPA from a bed but then again it's none of your business what I do now is it? Your an angry little man and I pray you never have by-passes or get sick. God Bless you Bruce. George, Thank You for your well wishes always. Hope all is well with you and your family. Rich, that's the best I can do till Smitty and Louie get back from Florida. Had a great conversation with Mark from APBA, nice guy.

Wahoo 214
12-10-2009, 09:47 AM
Bruce,

Just for your info. Augie was a big part of making the Harrison Twp race happen. Not only with much needed advice, but he also designed, aquired and paid for the trophies. That alone is more than most have done for this sport.

XtremeRacing
12-10-2009, 09:47 AM
Augie,

Good to see your felling better and up and around. Keep us informed on how Louie and Smitty make out.

Wardey
12-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Smitty received a call a day prior to the meeting per our conversation yesterday and couldn't make the trip. Mark said he thought they called, Smitty said no call back on his phone and no e-mail. As for me I was back in the hospital that week but Mark now has all my info. Bruce, it's only BS if you look for something that ain't there. You have no idea how much I've supported OPA from a bed but then again it's none of your business what I do now is it? Your an angry little man and I pray you never have by-passes or get sick. God Bless you Bruce. George, Thank You for your well wishes always. Hope all is well with you and your family. Rich, that's the best I can do till Smitty and Louie get back from Florida. Had a great conversation with Mark from APBA, nice guy.

Hang tough Augie. Hope you are feeling well and wish you and your family all the best for the holidays. Dave

T2x
12-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Augie:

I am glad you are feeling better.....

Darren and I wish you and your family Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy New Year.

See you at the races soon.

Rich

TYPHOON
12-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Every Org. new about the meeting and what it was about a month ago. Lets not use the I didnt get a invatation excusse. Some just plain didnt want to go. If a Org didnt know about this meeting then they must be so far out of the loop of unification of our sport. Its truley a shame. And do you know who gets the shaft again. You got it, us racer's and fans. Back to small classes 18 word champs and checkard flags for everyone at every race. :mad:
MD

XtremeRacing
12-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Randy,

Keep us informed and update us to the progress you make with APBA. Be interesting to see if they going to come out with a rule book and the classes they r interested in racing. Hopefully the wheels will keep rolling.

XtremeRacing
12-10-2009, 03:12 PM
With the SBI 2010 schedule out now is the time to see what joint races will work and not over laping scehdule.

Ryan Beckley
12-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Miami and Biloxi are already overlapped not a good start......

XtremeRacing
12-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Does OSS have a schedule out yet??
Hopefully someone from OSS will take the time to look at the SBI schedule. I know Smitty and John have faxed schedules back and forth the last few weeks just so things like that dont happen. As of today John hasnt heard from anyone from OSS about schedules.

Ryan Beckley
12-10-2009, 03:46 PM
The Biloxi website has had the date on it for awhile now. The run a very tight program there and have had the date for awhile now.

Ryan Beckley
12-10-2009, 03:48 PM
I was under the impression that Mike Mares and JC had spoken since KW and had some from of communication going.....

XtremeRacing
12-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Ryan,
As of today no one has spoke to JC, might be a good idea if u pass that on to someone @ OSS . We all want this to work and without communication its not going to happen.

sbracing
12-10-2009, 04:23 PM
I think it is improper for any third party to assume or comment on who knew
what or who contacted who about any meetings. Only the people directly involved know what's what and for any of us to say he knew or he didn't know is pure spectulation and doesn't help the process.

Let's keep our eye on the ball, folks.

XtremeRacing
12-10-2009, 04:33 PM
I do have the facts just spoke to John and he said he hasnt spoke to anyone.... Its not meant to be a negative all I said is it might be a good time to talk.

SVL66
12-10-2009, 04:42 PM
what or who contacted who about any meetings. Only the people directly involved know what's what and for any of us to say he knew or he didn't know is pure spectulation and doesn't help the process.

Smitty told me last month, he planned on going to the meeting. Not speculation, Its a Fact. Whether he decided to go or not is his choice, and I have no problem with that. No big deal, Im sure.

Ryan Beckley
12-10-2009, 04:52 PM
I thought Mike Mares, Billy & JC had been communicating since KW?

imco offshore
12-10-2009, 05:34 PM

sbr, the big 3 don,t come on here and make any formal announcments,,so the ones close can only assume ,,,i,m glad to see sbi is in print,that is a positive start,and something teams can work with,,,racers have been saying all along,,,put out a schedule,,, sbi did,,, opa has a tenitive schedule ,,it,s a start but we need dates,,,were getting close!!!:seeya:

XtremeRacing
12-10-2009, 05:48 PM
I'm sure OPA and SBI had their reason for not going, as Bruce said no big deal that isnt really the business at hand.

F1-00 Racing
12-10-2009, 05:51 PM
The Biloxi website has had the date on it for awhile now. The run a very tight program there and have had the date for awhile now.

Ryan, not picking a fight, by any means, as I have only heard great things about Biloxi, but SBI has had the Miami race the middle of April(always around the 15th) for as far back as I can remember. I just pulled up the OSS website and the dates for Biloxi were March 26-29 last year. I do understand that towns sometimes will dictate "this is when the race will happen, take it or leave it" and that might be the case this time as well, but just because Biloxi released that date on their website, doesnt mean that SBI stepped on those dates. Hopefully it will all work out in the long run when communication starts to take place

Trent

imco offshore
12-10-2009, 06:05 PM
if one of them were to make an adjustment i think it would benefit both, just my 1 cents

Ryan Beckley
12-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Biloxi's race dates are dictated by the tides in that area. I believe that this allows them one weekend a month with the tides working in the water depth favor. Every year the first races vary slightly, I was not pointing blame at anyone, just to the fact that it sucks that this is happening already!

Pat D
12-10-2009, 07:36 PM
if one of them were to make an adjustment i think it would benefit both, just my 1 cents

If one of them were to make an adjustment, how many people would do both races.
I'm just sayin........(askin)

Ryan Beckley
12-10-2009, 07:42 PM
I would think a couple boats would do both if they were different weekends......

T2x
12-10-2009, 07:55 PM
No dog in this fight, but it seems that unification comes after:

Biloxi's tide tables
JC's Miami race date (and his 12 boats)
OPA's lack of participation (perhaps?)
Endless bickering and finger pointing

With these priorities, the sport's participants deserve what they get.

I realise that the APBA/UIM won't assure a turkey in every pot, nor a trophy in every race, but it was the biggest and best sanctioning body in the history of the sport, offers the ability to leverage other divisions for economies of scale and cross marketing and is the only sanctioning body with more than a few years (without bankruptcy(s) and a string of broken promises) of existence and experience.

My work is done here.

Now back to your regularly scheduled tit for tat confusion.

T2x

Pat D
12-10-2009, 08:06 PM
No bickering on my part, but there is always t for t confusion
Just looking at the SBI schedule

Miami........20th year.....(12 boats plus the "couple"this year if someone changes MAYBE )
Sarasota....26th year
NYC...........20th year
KEY WEST...30 YEARS

That looks like a standard/tradition for some cities. We've heard before that SBI with NYC and OPA with Point Pleasant isn't good to race on the same day.
It still happens in both cities and life goes on.
I think that horse should be dead by now

HAPPY HOLIDAYS
PD

mikey
12-10-2009, 08:30 PM

AMEN Rich I am with you.:cheers2:

imco offshore
12-10-2009, 08:41 PM
No bickering on my part, but there is always t for t confusion
Just looking at the SBI schedule

Miami........20th year.....(12 boats plus the "couple"this year if someone changes MAYBE )
Sarasota....26th year
NYC...........20th year
KEY WEST...30 YEARS

That looks like a standard/tradition for some cities. We've heard before that SBI with NYC and OPA with Point Pleasant isn't good to race on the same day.
It still happens in both cities and life goes on.
I think that horse should be dead by now

HAPPY HOLIDAYS
PD

Pat you DON,T need to defend anything ? your standing on solid ground in offshore racing ,, Have a great holiday and a great season,we,ll see ya...george jr.

imco offshore
12-10-2009, 08:54 PM
No dog in this fight, but it seems that unification comes after:

Biloxi's tide tables
JC's Miami race date (and his 12 boats)
OPA's lack of participation (perhaps?)
Endless bickering and finger pointing

With these priorities, the sport's participants deserve what they get.

I realise that the APBA/UIM won't assure a turkey in every pot, nor a trophy in every race, but it was the biggest and best sanctioning body in the history of the sport, offers the ability to leverage other divisions for economies of scale and cross marketing and is the only sanctioning body with more than a few years (without bankruptcy(s) and a string of broken promises) of existence and experience.

My work is done here.

Now back to your regularly scheduled tit for tat confusion.

T2x

t2x i,m not the sharpest knife in the draw,, but i think that your statement is a fairly easy accomplishment,,,, when you only" lease" your title out and assume NO responsiblty for the events,,,when things were good it,s all APBA when the current economics take their toll,,now it,s SOMEONE ELSES DOING...looks like a stacked deck to me. i,m sure you know the deal,, when things are good it,s the OWNERS DOING,,,,when things are bad it,s the employees,,no argument here just my thoughts...

AugiePensa
12-11-2009, 10:23 AM
Rich, we are gonna try to get everybody working together as per my conversation with Smitty and Louie. I'll be meeting with Smitty tomorrow at his shop. Gotta go, sending one of my trucks to do a little moving job at my house in Toms River. My wifes a pain.

Wazzup Racing
12-11-2009, 12:50 PM
My goodness...........Yes I knew there was a meeting. I was told it would be the second week in December, because neither Tom Abrams or myself, were available the first week. The Friday before the meeting Rick Felson called to ask if I was going. I had no idea it was moved a week earlier, and could not go on one days notice. I am sure there will be many more meetings in the future. I have spoken to Mark on many occaisions, and am sure there will be much more disscussed. One little thing like the APBA pops up, and you guys are chewing each other apart. By the way, APBA is only at this point trying to develope a rule book. Doesn't matter ours is not open for change.

sbracing
12-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Wwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzzzzuuuuuuuuuuuupppppp!

imco offshore
12-11-2009, 03:31 PM
smity you have a great thing going, i wouldn,t change anything either,, maybe they are trying to tackle the gross amount of specked classes,,they need a trim down?

XtremeRacing
12-11-2009, 05:05 PM
I dont see anything happening any time soon with a new rule book for this yr. The other issue is what Org. will honor it....Insurance will be a major issue. I would think APBA would need to talk to all the Org. before they even attempted taking all the time that would be needed to make a rule book. We know OPA wouldnt be interested and I wouldnt think SBI would have any Interest. Possible it would work for OSS ??

Mike A.
12-11-2009, 05:20 PM
:willy_nilly:
My goodness...........Yes I knew there was a meeting. I was told it would be the second week in December, because neither Tom Abrams or myself, were available the first week. The Friday before the meeting Rick Felson called to ask if I was going. I had no idea it was moved a week earlier, and could not go on one days notice. I am sure there will be many more meetings in the future. I have spoken to Mark on many occaisions, and am sure there will be much more disscussed. One little thing like the APBA pops up, and you guys are chewing each other apart. By the way, APBA is only at this point trying to develope a rule book. Doesn't matter ours is not open for change.

XtremeRacing
12-11-2009, 05:23 PM
LOl

Wazzup Racing
12-11-2009, 08:30 PM
Funny Mike...........Thanks for helping out my friends

imco offshore
12-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Mike u r crazy funny!! how are ya doing? george jr.

TYPHOON
12-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Smitty wish you could have made it. They are trying to do way more that just make a rule book. They would like to see Offshore be re-united like the old days where there was regional and divisional races and at the end of the year there is a true world championship race. Yes a set of rules we all follow with spec racing and pro am racing 1-6 classes. So its a little bigger than they are just working on a rule book. They are working on the sport as a whole.
MD

Mike A.
12-11-2009, 11:31 PM
Smitty wish you could have made it. They are trying to do way more that just make a rule book. They would like to see Offshore be re-united like the old days where there was regional and divisional races and at the end of the year there is a true world championship race. Yes a set of rules we all follow with spec racing and pro am racing 1-6 classes. So its a little bigger than they are just working on a rule book. They are working on the sport as a whole.
MD

Good thing you are involved Randy. You can help the new powers truly appreciate what it takes to keep it together - :sifone:

Mike A.
12-12-2009, 11:11 AM
:sifone:
Funny Mike...........Thanks for helping out my friends

F1-00 Racing
12-12-2009, 04:22 PM
I never professed to be the brightest bulb in the room, but who or what is "P1 USA"?

Mike A.
12-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Mike u r crazy funny!! how are ya doing? george jr.

I am doing great George, thanks for asking! Busy with family these days. Kids are into sports big time so we are traveling a lot. Got the old Chiropractor/Freedom Corsa for fun - fast enough, easy to clean, tow, and uses little gas - but I do not get to use it nearly enough. Speaking of which, anyone got a 28" Hydromotive four blade lefty they want to sell?:driving:

imco offshore
12-13-2009, 12:26 AM
mike no i only run 6 blades sorry..i have a great 28 6bl you can try tho,i,d be glad to send it to ya.

ThrottleUp Props
12-14-2009, 12:08 PM
Sorry for the delay Mike...I have props ready to test in St. Pete. I have pm the info to you.

Julie

mdkeywest
12-14-2009, 03:55 PM

(

imco offshore
12-14-2009, 04:11 PM
sorry,,, hard as it may seem to believe,,, we are all freinds and we do get off track,,but we do all help each other and have a great time doing it, your welcome to join in at any race any time,!

mdkeywest
12-14-2009, 04:55 PM

mdkeywest
12-14-2009, 06:44 PM
[..