PDA

View Full Version : 292 Fastech with lab props

Expensive Date
12-06-2009, 01:09 AM
Anyone ever try labed 28p props on a 292?

Bill
12-08-2009, 08:30 PM

My 08 292 came with labbed 28's from the factory. They run good, but because of where I boat, I run stock 26's, which are too small. I can probably run stock 28's actually!

So, what do ya want to know... my stock 26's turn too many rpm's but have great cruise. I cruise at 3800 rpms with my 26's at 52-54mph, my labbed 28's are a good 3-4mph slower at cruise speed. My labbed 28's on the chip have seen a best of 72.8 on gps with no current, my stock 26's run 70-71 gps hard on the chip... I would actually like to try some labbed 30's.

Let me say this, since I took delivery of the boat in the spring of 2008, our summers have been cold and wet, so I have not run her in the normal heat and humidity we have here in the summers. plus I only have racked up 30 hours ont he motors, so they are now starting to loosen up...

Expensive Date
12-08-2009, 11:28 PM
[QUOTE=Bill;386764] My labbed 28's on the chip have seen a best of 72.8 on gps with no current,

What RPM are you at that speed. Thanks

Trueser
12-09-2009, 12:40 AM
do your props spin in or out?

Bill
12-09-2009, 05:09 PM
[QUOTE=Bill;386764] My labbed 28's on the chip have seen a best of 72.8 on gps with no current,

What RPM are you at that speed. Thanks
Livorsi Tachs were reading 5250, I did not read my smartcraft.

Bill
12-09-2009, 05:10 PM
do your props spin in or out?

They turn out....

VetteLT193
12-10-2009, 11:04 AM
My 08 292 came with labbed 28's from the factory. They run good, but because of where I boat, I run stock 26's, which are too small. I can probably run stock 28's actually!

So, what do ya want to know... my stock 26's turn too many rpm's but have great cruise. I cruise at 3800 rpms with my 26's at 52-54mph, my labbed 28's are a good 3-4mph slower at cruise speed. My labbed 28's on the chip have seen a best of 72.8 on gps with no current, my stock 26's run 70-71 gps hard on the chip... I would actually like to try some labbed 30's.

Let me say this, since I took delivery of the boat in the spring of 2008, our summers have been cold and wet, so I have not run her in the normal heat and humidity we have here in the summers. plus I only have racked up 30 hours ont he motors, so they are now starting to loosen up...

I wonder what makes the labbed props slower at cruise? One would think that they are easier to turn and have more pitch so they would be more efficient not less.

All the numbers posted seem really good regardless. I have a 28 Donzi and haven't seen these speeds yet... One would think that having a boat 500 pounds lighter and 2 degrees less deadrise would make it faster.

I was thinking about labbing the stock 26 Bravo's I have but I don't want to lose cruise. Now I don't know what to do.

JayFan
12-10-2009, 09:28 PM
I was thinking about calling BB Blades...and seeing if it's worth getting a pair for my 292....how much did it improve your top speed????

Expensive Date
12-10-2009, 09:43 PM
I was thinking about calling BB Blades...and seeing if it's worth getting a pair for my 292....how much did it improve your top speed????

I have not gotten them yet,might Bill says he is seeing 72.5 so he picked up 2 mph.And about 75 rpm

Bill
12-10-2009, 10:16 PM
I wonder what makes the labbed props slower at cruise? One would think that they are easier to turn and have more pitch so they would be more efficient not less.

All the numbers posted seem really good regardless. I have a 28 Donzi and haven't seen these speeds yet... One would think that having a boat 500 pounds lighter and 2 degrees less deadrise would make it faster.

I was thinking about labbing the stock 26 Bravo's I have but I don't want to lose cruise. Now I don't know what to do.

Nature of the beast, labbed props are just less efficient at cruise speed. I forget the exact exlination that Throttle Up gave, me, so I do not want to miss quote.

Bill
12-10-2009, 10:22 PM

I can say this, the 292 is an EXTREMELY efficiant hull. Have not been int he 28 Donzi, so I can't comment. One way to tell efficiantcy without a calculator...how long does the boat stay on plane after you back off the throttle. I was amazed at my 292. I am guesstimating that it stays on plane AT LEAST 3 times as long as my 27 Fountain did. Plus, the 292 is a pretty small boat for twin steps, that helps immensely!!! My hull runs very dry too, not much in the water for a twin stepp heavy boat. I am at neutral trim in these pics as well...

Bill
12-10-2009, 10:24 PM

If you ran PR's at WOT every weekend, then I would say yes, but if you cruise most of the time, then I would say no. I run my stock 26's (too small) 90% of the time...

VetteLT193
12-11-2009, 09:32 AM
I can say this, the 292 is an EXTREMELY efficiant hull. Have not been int he 28 Donzi, so I can't comment. One way to tell efficiantcy without a calculator...how long does the boat stay on plane after you back off the throttle. I was amazed at my 292. I am guesstimating that it stays on plane AT LEAST 3 times as long as my 27 Fountain did. Plus, the 292 is a pretty small boat for twin steps, that helps immensely!!! My hull runs very dry too, not much in the water for a twin stepp heavy boat. I am at neutral trim in these pics as well...

I don't have the right props yet, and I wasn't running WOT but my boat runs much more wet. I love the all white look. Very classy.

Both of these pics I'm running 45MPH (ish)

Bill
12-11-2009, 04:45 PM
I love the all white look. Very classy.

(ish)

Thank you! When I had the boat built everybody questioned my all white decision, but I am very happy with it!! Love your DOnzi too, great looking boat!!!

4mulafastech
12-29-2009, 03:35 PM

Our 2006 292 came with labbed 28p Bravo 4-blades. The pic below shows the slip I see at various rpm's. This was during a 90°F day and calm water on the Mississippi River. The 'Actual MPH' listed is an average of going with and against the current. As you can see, the labbed props like to slip at the lower rpm. The SmartCraft pic is going with a slight current. The speed of the river current can vary a lot.

Hey Bill, how's it going? I would hang on to those 26's! If you are going 52-54 mph at 3800 rpm that is 5-8% slip. Or is this including a little help from the old Miss current?:) Are you running the stock exhaust? Looks like she is running real good. We see right at 70-71mph max, but usually have a lot of stuff on board. Engines now have 189 hours.

Here's to hoping the River cooperates in 2010!:cheers2:

Bill
01-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Our 2006 292 came with labbed 28p Bravo 4-blades. The pic below shows the slip I see at various rpm's. This was during a 90°F day and calm water on the Mississippi River. The 'Actual MPH' listed is an average of going with and against the current. As you can see, the labbed props like to slip at the lower rpm. The SmartCraft pic is going with a slight current. The speed of the river current can vary a lot.

Hey Bill, how's it going? I would hang on to those 26's! If you are going 52-54 mph at 3800 rpm that is 5-8% slip. Or is this including a little help from the old Miss current?:) Are you running the stock exhaust? Looks like she is running real good. We see right at 70-71mph max, but usually have a lot of stuff on board. Engines now have 189 hours.

Here's to hoping the River cooperates in 2010!:cheers2:

Yes, my cruise speeds are on the Miss. and I lose about 2-3 mph against a strong current. My WOT numbers are from Lake St. Claire with no current.

Things are going good, although my boat has to go back to Green Bay this Spring to have the starbord motor pulled out! Not happy about that, rear main seal is leaking on it and I have a whoppong 30 hours on her!! Oh well, at least Shipyard Marine is a great dealership and I trust them!!

And yes, lett he river cooperate and have a warmer summer this year!!!!!:cheers2:

4mulafastech
01-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Sorry to hear about your 6.2. Glad they are taking care of it for you.

Yes, warmer would be nice! 2009 was definitely a cool one. Let's also hope the winter/spring snow/rain stays in check as well.

Happy New Year! :cheers2::bday:

Bill
01-01-2010, 07:51 PM
Sorry to hear about your 6.2. Glad they are taking care of it for you.

Yes, warmer would be nice! 2009 was definitely a cool one. Let's also hope the winter/spring snow/rain stays in check as well.

Happy New Year! :cheers2::bday:

Snow in check...man not so far, the damn snow machine can quit anytime!! And...I have lived here for 10 years and have never seen this much ice on the river, especially this early!!! It is friggin cold!!!!!

Happy new year to you too!!!!!:cheers2:

Expensive Date
01-02-2010, 11:13 PM

Here's mine running WOT in the ocean.

Bill
01-06-2010, 08:20 PM

Here's mine running WOT in the ocean.

Nice pic!