PDA

View Full Version : Bigger Blower or intercooler

MILD THUNDER
12-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Running some hopped up 525SC motors. They have 177 Weiands,dart aluminum heads, bigger Hydraulic Roller cams, 8.5:1. The engines run fantastic, running 5psi.

What would be a better route to go, adding a superchiller, or switching to a weiand 256 blower?

If I was to add the Chiller, and run the same pulleys I have now, how much gain would one expect just from cooling the air charge?

The bigger 256 sounds nice, but this setup i have now has been so turn key, the thought of going to dual carb setups scares me a bit, plus i imagine the additional cost at the pump would be substantial?

sledge
12-02-2009, 12:31 AM
Keep it simple: chiller, smaller pulley, bend the props for an additional 1-2".
Don't expect much from just a chiller without pulley change.

The 177s fill the 454ci really well. Jumping to 256s will almost triple the boost with the same pulley; probably won't work well without adding chiller/larger pulley (more money). Not that a 256 is bad for a 454ci, it's just a different animal than how the 525SC was built for. Everybody who leaves the 525SC alone, swears by them.

Nifty little tech piece: http://www.holley.com/data/TechService/Technical/Supercharger%20Tech%20Info.pdf

DAREDEVIL
12-02-2009, 12:42 AM
Running some hopped up 525SC motors. They have 177 Weiands,dart aluminum heads, bigger Hydraulic Roller cams, 8.5:1. The engines run fantastic, running 5psi.

What would be a better route to go, adding a superchiller, or switching to a weiand 256 blower?

If I was to add the Chiller, and run the same pulleys I have now, how much gain would one expect just from cooling the air charge?

The bigger 256 sounds nice, but this setup i have now has been so turn key, the thought of going to dual carb setups scares me a bit, plus i imagine the additional cost at the pump would be substantial?

First of all is what kind of drives are u running and how bad do u whant it ??

Then ,,if i could swing the coin,,,,,,,,,,in your boat ... i would get these >

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/classifieds/index.php?page=out&id=551

and sell the 525 SC's.:driving:

runninhotracing
12-02-2009, 08:50 AM

Teagues website sayz 75 hp for the superchiller :cheers2:

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sifone:
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mdgperf
12-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Adding the intercooler will add power if you up the boost,I did some dyno testing on a 454 bm 250 blower set-up,adding the intercooler showed very little increase but allowed me to run 7lb boost instead of 5lb on pump fuel,thus the 50-75hp increase

YoungPerformance
12-06-2009, 12:13 AM
It all depends on how hard you are spinning the blower now. The intercooler will not do much by itself without adding more boost. It then becomes a neccessity. The 256 will give you a little more boost without an intercooler, but again, to take full advantage of it, you will need an intercooler. If you are spinning the 177 real hard now, then adding an intercooler and turning it faster may just tear up the blower. That is why I said it depends on how fast you are turning it now.
The 256 is definitely a step in the right direction. I would not go with 2 4150 style carbs. I would use one Dominator (4500 style) carb on the 256. It is much easier to tune. I find that the 2 750's do not have a very strong vac. signal and become very touchy when tuning. The one Dominator is simplier and works better all around.
The ideal situation would be the 256 and an intercooler. If I had to choose, I would do the 256. You can always add the intercooler later and build on what you have. You will quickly outgrow the 177. Hope this helps.
Eddie

Griff
12-06-2009, 03:39 AM
If he's only pushing 5# of boost now, that is the stock pulley and its 2:1 overdriven. Max recommended RPMs for the 177 is 13,000-13,500. A chiller and smaller pulley will add the 50-75hp. After that, though, you are pretty much maxed for the entire set up. I ran just the smaller pulley(7.5#) with no chiller and it was fine.

If you want more now and maybe even more later, then go with a 250/256 blower and use you current Dominator carb. I know a few people that have done just that and the package is still just as reliable. I would use a TBS 250 blower.