PDA

View Full Version : Whoah.... poofing anything

fund razor
11-13-2008, 07:38 AM
Since I can't even post a thread over there without it being poofed... I searched up a couple of classic threads from years back.... one was Jeffrey annoucing the "new look."

They even poofed the classic threads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trim'd Up
11-13-2008, 10:00 AM
Fund, you are a real popular guy over there aren't ya. Same thing is happening to me when I post. I guess I will just change my screen name a few hundred times. :26:

ChiefApache
11-13-2008, 10:02 AM
Since I can't even post a thread over there without it being poofed... I searched up a couple of classic threads from years back.... one was Jeffrey annoucing the "new look."

They even poofed the classic threads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take the hint........you're stuck with us...........

Our membership expired on Wednesday. Not going to renew..........

Buoy
11-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Yeah, someone has their eye on you over there.
I think I'm still flying under the radar somehow... Not sure how...

fund razor
11-13-2008, 06:58 PM
but to poof classic threads because I brought them back?

magnum25
11-13-2008, 07:00 PM
That site is ridiculous. My membership experies in a few days. No way im renewing.

Buoy
11-13-2008, 07:06 PM

I agree with you completely.
The walls are just crumbling around them.
It's really a shame, because they will start to lose all the actual valuable info that was recorded over there for years. And have nothing left.
Equate it to a book-burning, seems very similar. Trying to erase history, or new thoughts.

insanity
11-13-2008, 07:27 PM
It's really a shame, because they will start to lose all the actual valuable info that was recorded over there for years. And have nothing left.
Equate it to a book-burning, seems very similar. Trying to erase history, or new thoughts.

Exactly. That is the real shame of the whole thing. Anybody know a way to archive an entire site without admin rights?

US1Fountain
11-13-2008, 07:27 PM
And you guys said no one was running OSO.
Sounds like they been pretty busy lately running it. :)

Sea-Dated
11-13-2008, 07:29 PM
I think they have tightened down after the Serious thread stayed up for so long.

stecz20
11-13-2008, 07:58 PM
i see steve is also been posting more... hmmmmmm...

Buoy
11-13-2008, 09:13 PM
And you guys said no one was running OSO.
Sounds like they been pretty busy lately running it. :)

It took such a long time for them to get active...
We (I say that collectively) took it as a huge breach of "security" and ran with it to test the boundaries, and see how far we could go, and how long we could get away with it.
Human nature - see what you can get away with.
It would have never happened under the old guard, and the problems would have been addressed - and that is what will happen here.
It's a shame they are holding a "book-burning".
They are only hurting the one thing they have that is of value at this point.

Geronimo36
11-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Why care what goes on over there? You guys have your own playground here!! If I were a founding member here and was involved in the groundwork, planning and design of this site I would cut the cord and move on IMHO.

yesrej
11-13-2008, 10:14 PM

i saw you bring that back and loved i and to see it gone i thought the same thing. i say you bring back 100 old threads and post stupid chit on them and see what happens...

Perlmudder
11-13-2008, 11:26 PM
Yeah, someone has their eye on you over there.
I think I'm still flying under the radar somehow... Not sure how...

you NINJA! :)

DollaBill
11-13-2008, 11:31 PM
i see steve is also been posting more... hmmmmmm...

nothing going on there. And, I think a few threads may have been saved in the transition to new owners....................

fund razor
11-14-2008, 07:28 AM
It took such a long time for them to get active...
We (I say that collectively) took it as a huge breach of "security" and ran with it to test the boundaries, and see how far we could go, and how long we could get away with it.
Human nature - see what you can get away with.
It would have never happened under the old guard, and the problems would have been addressed - and that is what will happen here.
It's a shame they are holding a "book-burning".
They are only hurting the one thing they have that is of value at this point.

I hate how this sounds... but I think somebody dropped a dime. They went from clueless to targeted enforcement in one fell swoop. I know a couple of people who felt "outsided" and also got beat up pretty bad on the serious thread. Could be motive there to call in "The Man."
And the threads that I brought back up? I didn't even post anything unusual on them. I didn't mention any other sites... that kind of thing. Just picked a couple that were profoundly ironic now.

fund razor
11-14-2008, 07:29 AM
Why care what goes on over there? You guys have your own playground here!! If I were a founding member here and was involved in the groundwork, planning and design of this site I would cut the cord and move on IMHO.
Yes. I agree. But I think that we will be looking back for a while. We all had it in common and we all left a lot of ourselves over there. Like the students being rescued from Grenada, I suppose. :D

Geronimo36
11-14-2008, 08:53 AM
As far as the posts being removed and Steve posting etc. It's a conflict of interest for both Steve and also for those who created this site. It's like quitting your job, going to work for someone else but working at both jobs and trying to collect a paycheck from both companies.

Normally when a business is sold, the owner and some key employees have to stay on board for a given period of time, in some cases 1-3 years, and make sure the company doesn't fold or become severly impacted financially because the sale price is usually derrived from the value of the company prior to the sale.

I'd venture to guess that if OSO went completely down the crapper within a certain period of time, Steve would either have to pay a portion of the money back to IB or not get paid 100% of what was agreed to. It's standard legal merger/aquisition mumbo jumbo.

PS, I don't know anything about the deal so this is just an assumption on my part. :seeya:

MarylandMark
11-14-2008, 11:42 AM
I heard that Steve doesn't have a non-compete clause, all was $$$ and not partial stock like most transactions, none of the paid OSO'ers were kept on board and so on.

IB being arrogant may have bit them in the butt this time.

Again-or so I heard.

DollaBill
11-14-2008, 11:45 AM
As far as the posts being removed and Steve posting etc. It's a conflict of interest for both Steve and also for those who created this site. It's like quitting your job, going to work for someone else but working at both jobs and trying to collect a paycheck from both companies.

Normally when a business is sold, the owner and some key employees have to stay on board for a given period of time, in some cases 1-3 years, and make sure the company doesn't fold or become severly impacted financially because the sale price is usually derrived from the value of the company prior to the sale.

I'd venture to guess that if OSO went completely down the crapper within a certain period of time, Steve would either have to pay a portion of the money back to IB or not get paid 100% of what was agreed to. It's standard legal merger/aquisition mumbo jumbo.

PS, I don't know anything about the deal so this is just an assumption on my part. :seeya:

every one of those assumptions is wrong. Thats a FACT.

Cash Bar
11-14-2008, 12:17 PM
No Non-compete is a fact. :)

Buoy
11-14-2008, 06:40 PM
I hate how this sounds... but I think somebody dropped a dime. They went from clueless to targeted enforcement in one fell swoop. I know a couple of people who felt "outsided" and also got beat up pretty bad on the serious thread. Could be motive there to call in "The Man."
And the threads that I brought back up? I didn't even post anything unusual on them. I didn't mention any other sites... that kind of thing. Just picked a couple that were profoundly ironic now.

(In my best network, hard-hitting reporter guy voice)...

So, now that you have "poof-able power", or "poofability", tell us, is it difficult to hold back from using that power for your own good or interests?

fund razor
11-14-2008, 06:48 PM

So, now that you have "poof-able power", or "poofability", tell us, is it difficult to hold back from using that power for your own good or interests?
You mean me as a moderator?

I can soft delete. But sure don't want to. I can't poof. Few can.
I started out trying to enforce the no-discussion rule in the marketplace and all I ended up doing was destroy a thread. Now I am hands off unless it is waaayyyy over the line. Deleting is not fun. Poofing is not fun. You know when you do it that you are pizzing off three people and confusing 11.
I feel comfortable speaking for all mods here when I say that even moving a single thread is thought about carefully, and moderation is done reluctantly.
That's why I have the sig that I do. Being privvy to moderator chat.... I know that each and every one is treading carefully and fears overmoderating.

inbetween
11-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Sometimes just a reminder to re-read the guidelines is all we need, not a thread poof. Most of us are adult enough to respond to these reminders and self moderate. I don't envy the mods responsibilities.

Thanks to Fund and all the other mods for their hard work

fund razor
11-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Sometimes just a reminder to re-read the guidelines is all we need, not a thread poof. Most of us are adult enough to respond to these reminders and self moderate. I don't envy the mods responsibilities.

Thanks to Fund and all the other mods for their hard work

Thanks man. But I have the really easy gig, Marketplace. Plus... this forum is pretty easy... most people are not anonymous troublemakers. Most people are the troublemakers that we know and love. :D

The guys/gals on the frontlines are: Airpacker, Cosmic12, OldSchool and CigDaze. (Along with Chris and Heather)
These people deserve a TON of credit for getting us through the early days.
That's why the sig line.

Buoy
11-14-2008, 09:35 PM

You mean me as a moderator?

I can soft delete. But sure don't want to. I can't poof. Few can.
I started out trying to enforce the no-discussion rule in the marketplace and all I ended up doing was destroy a thread. Now I am hands off unless it is waaayyyy over the line. Deleting is not fun. Poofing is not fun. You know when you do it that you are pizzing off three people and confusing 11.
I feel comfortable speaking for all mods here when I say that even moving a single thread is thought about carefully, and moderation is done reluctantly.
That's why I have the sig that I do. Being privvy to moderator chat.... I know that each and every one is treading carefully and fears overmoderating.

Oh chit...
You took that entirely the wrong way.
I meant...
On the OTHER site, if YOU post something, they poof the thread.
I was thinking you could have some fun with that if you felt so inclined.

I think all the mods on this site are doing just fine (AP, I saw the other thread, and don't worry about it, you're doing great).

Buoy
11-15-2008, 01:03 AM
I've noticed you decided to do just what I may have suggested.
Nice.

fund razor
11-15-2008, 07:57 AM
Oh chit...
You took that entirely the wrong way.
I meant...
On the OTHER site, if YOU post something, they poof the thread.
I was thinking you could have some fun with that if you felt so inclined.

I think all the mods on this site are doing just fine (AP, I saw the other thread, and don't worry about it, you're doing great).

Oh.
Well heck.... maybe your comic premise was a little advanced for me. :D

nocigarette
11-15-2008, 09:09 AM
I agree with you completely.
The walls are just crumbling around them.

That site has been in the toilet for months now......Not being able to search and access all the old stored info would blow but,The questions will get answered eventually here especially if a members 24 pantera gets moving...

Buoy
11-15-2008, 09:52 AM
That site has been in the toilet for months now......Not being able to search and access all the old stored info would blow but,The questions will get answered eventually here especially if a members 24 pantera gets moving...

The summer didn't exist for me, I was at work the whole time, so no progress on the Pantera.
It's looking like the Pantera may be moving soon though, about 1200 miles South:seeya:

Geronimo36
11-17-2008, 12:36 PM
every one of those assumptions is wrong. Thats a FACT.

Wrong because they're facts and not assumptions or wrong because they're false assumptions in this case?

Regardless, if IB made a sweatheart deal without any repercussions they're not a very smart organization and kudo's to Steve! :)

PARADOX
11-17-2008, 01:28 PM
There are some seriously good threads "there" worth preserving. I don't have the time,, but should be interesting reading in the cold winter months for your "Northeners" :)

Not sure.. where is IB headquarters located anyway?
Is it a forign based co. ? Seen some reference to India..? :ack2:

MarylandMark
11-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Internet Brands, Inc.
909 North Sepulveda Blvd., 11th Floor
El Segundo, CA 90245
800-692-2200
Total Monthly Unique Visitors: 38 million
Total Monthly Page Views: 639 million
http://www.internetbrands.com/ib

India I think is in reference to "Beenish"- an IB employee that was fed to the masses trying to quell the "OSO owned by IB" revolt