PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust question

Expensive Date
12-01-2009, 12:03 AM
Trying to decide whether to replace my stock exhaust with aftermarket or Mercury.Had a riser go bad at the end of the season just replace the riser to make sure no damage was done.And ran the boat for the rest of the season.I am hopefully only going to have this boat one more season so don't want to go crazy with mods.Most aftermarket don't use as many hoses to the risers and manifolds so what do I do with all this crap.?

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_pictures3.asp?dnbr=884718001&ivar=IMAGES/COMMON/10560.png&inbr=11581&bnbr=170&bdesc=Standard+Cooling+System

Expensive Date
12-01-2009, 12:06 AM

Here is some other pictures

DAREDEVIL
12-01-2009, 12:45 AM
If the leak is fixed now ,,,just leave it !?

MOBILEMERCMAN
12-01-2009, 09:31 AM
Risers are 3 to 5 year service items.. IMO the gasket should be changed and risers cleaned and inspected every other season.

Knot 4 Me
12-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Stay with stock if you plan to peddle it.

DAREDEVIL
12-01-2009, 01:45 PM

Thas what i ment ...:iagree:

Geronimo36
12-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Tim, I gotta admit....the mercury engineer had a field day and must have been paid overtime designing the water system on that engine with all the extra hoses and one/way valves and quick disconnects etc... Theoretically it's great because it makes draining down the engine nice and easy but long-term I think it may cause a lot of problems when the hoses get clogged from sand/rust.

To get your system to work with an aftermarket unit I believe you will need to "t" hose #5 with 22 and #6 with 23 and possibly cap/off or elinimate hose #3. Anyone else?

The two sets of hoses that come off the t-stat housing is for the poppet valves which bleed off water when the t-stat is closed and the regular water outlet when the t-stat is open.

VetteLT193
12-01-2009, 04:31 PM
I have a nearly identical setup on my Donzi (6.2's as well) When I do mine I'm going with GLM Aluminum. I did my last Donzi small block with EMI thunder and it was a total PITA.

With the GLM setup it will be bolt on and go. If you go another route you will have fitment issues with the exhaust tips. You'll also have the total and complete headache of hoses, brackets, and every other freaking problem for minimal (if any) performance gain over the GLM aluminum setup.

Whoz Your Daddy
12-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Stainless Marine. And it will be a good selling point for any perspective buyers. What are ya getting next Tim?

Expensive Date
12-01-2009, 07:52 PM
Risers are 3 to 5 year service items.. IMO the gasket should be changed and risers cleaned and inspected every other season.

Agree other side looks fine did not change it because I was thinking about going aftermarket.But will not run another season with them.

Expensive Date
12-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Tim, I gotta admit....the mercury engineer had a field day and must have been paid overtime designing the water system on that engine with all the extra hoses and one/way valves and quick disconnects etc... Theoretically it's great because it makes draining down the engine nice and easy but long-term I think it may cause a lot of problems when the hoses get clogged from sand/rust.

To get your system to work with an aftermarket unit I believe you will need to "t" hose #5 with 22 and #6 with 23 and possibly cap/off or elinimate hose #3. Anyone else?

The two sets of hoses that come off the t-stat housing is for the poppet valves which bleed off water when the t-stat is closed and the regular water outlet when the t-stat is open.

Kinda were I'm at the boat would have to be completly re rigged cooling wise and I am not sure it's worth it as I really want something bigger.

Expensive Date
12-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Stainless Marine. And it will be a good selling point for any perspective buyers. What are ya getting next Tim?

35 ,38 Fountain would do the 35 now but the slip that I rent which has my lift in won't fit anything bigger than my boat.If I can't move to a bigger slip after next year I am pulling my lift out might do it sooner.There are to many deals out there and if I wait another year I should be able to get what I really want.38 staggered.

Expensive Date
12-01-2009, 08:00 PM

Agreed.

Geronimo36
12-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Kinda were I'm at the boat would have to be completly re rigged cooling wise and I am not sure it's worth it as I really want something bigger.

I'd probably go with replacing then!:driving:

Griff
12-02-2009, 11:48 PM
You could try and find some 496HO take offs. Check Recycle Performance or Teague. The smaller water exit hoses on the T Stat housing can be T'd together. That is what Merc did with Gil exhaust.

VetteLT193
12-03-2009, 08:58 AM
You could try and find some 496HO take offs. Check Recycle Performance or Teague. The smaller water exit hoses on the T Stat housing can be T'd together. That is what Merc did with Gil exhaust.

how will a 496 exhaust fit a small block?

Knot 4 Me
12-03-2009, 01:10 PM
how will a 496 exhaust fit a small block?They won't.

Griff
12-04-2009, 12:34 AM
how will a 496 exhaust fit a small block?

oops!!!!!:smash: just saw they were small blocks