PDA

View Full Version : Dual Batteries

JFM
11-25-2009, 10:19 AM
I am new to having an outboard so bear with me if this is a stupid question. I just picked up a new to me boat and it only has a single battery. It is a center console fishing boat so there will be days of just sitting with lights and stereo on for some time. I know with my other boats I could upgrade an altenator and have no issues but I was wondering how this would affect an outboard. Do they have upgrade kits or would it be able to handle 2 batteries?

MOBILEMERCMAN
11-25-2009, 10:32 AM
You can add a second battery with no engine mod. Just don't turn the switch with the engine running. It is also best if the two batteries are same age and model as the will attempt to balance them selves. To charge simply select both while running.

JFM
11-25-2009, 10:49 AM
That is what I thought just checking, Thank you

MacGyver
11-25-2009, 12:53 PM
You can add a second battery with no engine mod. Just don't turn the switch with the engine running. It is also best if the two batteries are same age and model as the will attempt to balance them selves. To charge simply select both while running.

Again, just don't move the switch to "both" while running. Move the switch to "both" with the key off, then start and run to charge both.

Griff
11-25-2009, 07:33 PM
It sounds like you'd be better off getting a deep cycle for the second battery. It will start the boat fine if needed. Use the deep cycle when you are floating or anchored and running accesories.They are made to run up and down more than a standard starting battery. Switch the battery switch as needed to charge it.

JFM
11-25-2009, 08:35 PM
Thanks I didn't think of that.

JFM
11-25-2009, 10:59 PM
Anyone know what switch I would need? Do I need the one with the alternator field disconnect or just a standard switch. Again still learning about these outboards so bear with me. Thanks

MOBILEMERCMAN
11-25-2009, 11:02 PM
Standard switch.

JFM
11-25-2009, 11:04 PM
Your fast, Thanks again, Jimmy :cheers2:

Griff
11-26-2009, 02:41 PM
Standard Perko switch with Off/1/ALL/2