PDA

View Full Version : raw water pump to big

bajabob 718
11-24-2009, 09:08 PM
my water pump hits the oil pump can i buy a smaller one ????

f311fr1
11-24-2009, 09:15 PM
No, but you can get a marine oil pan with a notch for the sea water pump. Look at Canton pans.

Lee
11-24-2009, 10:03 PM
Ballpeen hammer :26:, extend the mounting brackets and get a slightly longer belt :sifone: Or send it back to Dan Olsen and have them notch it, you will probably loose 2qts of capacity but 10qts should be fine.

DAREDEVIL
11-24-2009, 11:24 PM
Get a marine oilpan ,,,,CAR STUFF IS A NO NO !!!!!!!

U will find that out sooner or later.:ack2:

Steve Miklos
11-25-2009, 11:26 AM
You can also get a Jabsco or similar crank mounted sea pump.
Steve

jeffswav
11-26-2009, 10:11 AM
Get the correct marine oil pan. Sell the one you have to a car guy.

bajabob 718
11-26-2009, 12:12 PM
this is a marine oil pan . he makes the other pan with the cut out .but it a smaller one

Trim'd Up
11-26-2009, 12:42 PM
My pump doesn't sit nearly that close to the pan ( I don't think anyway) and I have a factory merc mount from a gen IV 454. Maybe switch mounts.

MERPerformance
11-27-2009, 06:25 PM
my water pump hits the oil pump can i buy a smaller one ????
Just one small question here. Did you order this oil pan or did your engine builder decide on the pan?

bajabob 718
11-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Just one small question here. Did you order this oil pan or did your engine builder decide on the pan?

my engine guy install the pan. the marine pan i had 9qt he did not like this one:smash: this new one flows the oil a lot better! and my sea pump is on and working thanks for all the help great ideas:driving::cheers2::cheers2:

MILD THUNDER
11-30-2009, 09:59 PM
not sure, but looks like that pan wouldnt clear offshore style motor mounts..

DAREDEVIL
11-30-2009, 11:38 PM
not sure, but looks like that pan wouldnt clear offshore style motor mounts..

I also believe that his engine guy is a car guy !!!!!!

The oil needs a sump in the back of the pan and a kick out to the side for oil to get away from the crank,,,,,,,,this is A CAR PAN !!!!!!!

If u go jump the waves the oil will hit the crank and u lose power and bearings because of shoking crank braking !!!!

Been there, done this !!!!!!!

Do yourself a favor and get a marine oilpan. :leaving:

This is a 11 quart marine aluminum oilpan =

DAREDEVIL
12-02-2009, 12:48 AM
I actually found your oil pan !!!!!

NOT A MARINE PAN !!!!!

...but if u look here u can see the one below yours IS !!!!!!!

http://www.olsonmotorsports.com/

WS 427 KOS Standard , would be the correct part # !

Geronimo36
12-02-2009, 12:58 PM
http://www.stefs.com/products/oilpans/marinecompwetsumppans.htm
http://www.dooleyenterprises.com/Oilpans/oilpan.html

DAREDEVIL
12-02-2009, 02:22 PM
http://www.stefs.com/products/oilpans/marinecompwetsumppans.htm
http://www.dooleyenterprises.com/Oilpans/oilpan.html

The reason why i posted the link to the olson pan ,,,is ,, so he can see for him self its NOT a marine pan that he has.
The part # is almost the same,,,maybe they made a mistake ?!

But i guess he don't care ?!

bajabob 718
12-02-2009, 03:38 PM
The reason why i posted the link to the olson pan ,,,is ,, so he can see for him self its NOT a marine pan that he has.
The part # is almost the same,,,maybe they made a mistake ?!

But i guess he don't care ?!thanks for posting this . i am going to call my engine man up and ?????him about this :mad: i spent alot of $$$$$ to not care.

DAREDEVIL
12-02-2009, 03:45 PM
thanks for posting this . i am going to call my engine man up and ?????him about this :mad: i spent alot of $$$$$ to not care.

I knew that is going to get your attention !!!!! LOL

Yeah,, get the right pan !!!! :seeya:

bajabob 718
12-02-2009, 04:12 PM
ok thanks again:cheers2: i have a marine pan :driving: i even call olson up . they will make a oil pan to how you want it . my guy for got to tell them about the cut out when he order my pan:confused: nothing goes easy for me . thats why i like this site . you guys put me on the rigth track:party:

MERPerformance
12-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Have your engine guy set that bad choice of oil pan on the shelf and use it on the next drag engine he does. Quote him back saying he wanted that pan and he put it on ! Have him buy you the right one or put your old one on and give you your $ back, no labor or gaskets added in above your orignial price.

DAREDEVIL
12-02-2009, 10:34 PM
my engine guy install the pan.:smash: this new one flows the oil a lot better! :driving::cheers2::cheers2:

IN A CAR MAYBE !!!!!!!!!!!:eek::leaving:

MILD THUNDER
12-02-2009, 10:46 PM
Dude, do yourself a favor, get a new engine guy. I have seen this too many times with friends having race car guys build them "boat" motors. They just end up going "kaboom" and costs lots of money. What exactly didnt he like about your previous marine 9 qt pan?

Anyone can build a 600HP Big block. Making it last and stay together in a boat is a whole nother ball game.......What works in a drag car doesnt work in a boat.....

DAREDEVIL
12-02-2009, 11:08 PM
Dude, do yourself a favor, get a new engine guy. I have seen this too many times with friends having race car guys build them "boat" motors. They just end up going "kaboom" and costs lots of money. What exactly didnt he like about your previous marine 9 qt pan?

Anyone can build a 600HP Big block. Making it last and stay together in a boat is a whole nother ball game.......What works in a drag car doesnt work in a boat.....

He will learn !!!!!! ...JUST LIKE WE DID . :ack2::rolleyes: