PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Upgrading the Power

nortech4play
11-21-2009, 12:32 AM
I've been toying with the idea of putting in some new motors and want to go with something that will be reliable yet be in the 850 hp range or so and preferably EFI's....

Right now I have Merc 525 with Whipples (735 hp) and they have been pretty good but would like a little more power...

I've been looking through the classifieds and seeing what's out there and figured I'd throw it out here....

I know there are some very good builders on the site but don't have a real good idea what kind of costs this would entail or if anyone takes in trades....

Just kind of throwing it out there I'm open to any suggestions on builders and from people that have motors similar to what I'd like to have....

Thanks, Jim

DAREDEVIL
11-21-2009, 12:41 AM
I've been toying with the idea of putting in some new motors and want to go with something that will be reliable yet be in the 850 hp range or so and preferably EFI's....

Right now I have Merc 525 with Whipples (735 hp) and they have been pretty good but would like a little more power...

I've been looking through the classifieds and seeing what's out there and figured I'd throw it out here....

I know there are some very good builders on the site but don't have a real good idea what kind of costs this would entail or if anyone takes in trades....

Just kind of throwing it out there I'm open to any suggestions on builders and from people that have motors similar to what I'd like to have....

Thanks, Jim

Just upgrade your 525's to 540 CI and u be good to go !!!!!!

glh
11-21-2009, 08:59 AM
Just upgrade your 525's to 540 CI and u be good to go !!!!!!Bingo, new sets of pistons new gaskets start fresh and relatively cheap, marine motor wise speaking...

MERPerformance
11-21-2009, 09:36 AM
I guess you have XRs for drives at this time, they can be modified to step up the torque load you will have up-grading the power. You will have to change your exhaust with new power. If you really want to start over with a new package, you would be better off selling your engines complete.
I just had an exporter call me yesterday looking for short blocks for his own boat. He exports boats and engines as his business, is this something you would be interested in?
I have 2 new 572 CID short blocks ready to go, Merlin 10.200, All American Parts, you can view them in the classifieds. You can take them to the level you are seeking. You can do this with out a blower. If you are set on EFI, I would be looking at a true sequential system, alot of money will be spent just on the EFI. Your cam, lifters, rocker arms, push rods, heads, intake will be the most important factors in going naturally aspirated.

Chris
11-21-2009, 11:32 AM
Taking the standard deck to the longer stroke is a good way to bump the power up a bit, but not the best approach if you want to make long-lived power. The rod angle is less than idea and it's a really short skirt on the piston. The oil ring needs a support rail as it's intersected with the wristpin. An acceptable make-do, but not the best if you want big output for a long time.

I'd go to tall deck 572's with intercooled Whipples and MEFI. Bigger inches, lower boost, live a long time and make the power you want.

Now you just need to find the builder.

nortech4play
11-21-2009, 01:03 PM
I guess you have XRs for drives at this time, they can be modified to step up the torque load you will have up-grading the power.

Actually the XR/ITS drives were switched to Arneson ASD-7M and BAM 1350 transmissions a year ago when we did the re-rig and new paint... I should have included that with my original post...

Jim

YoungPerformance
11-21-2009, 02:47 PM
Jim,
I would love to talk to you about your options. There are a couple of different ways to accomplish your goals. The correct route will depend on your ultimate, long term goals, budget, etc.
First, you could upgrade your existing 525's. However, what eventually happens is that so many parts end up being replaced, you actually lose money. For example, if you turn your 502's into 540's, the only part from the bottom end that gets reused is the block. This saves you about $2000. You will have to replace the crank, rods, pistons, balancer, flywheel (should balance internally) rings, bearings, oil pump, pickup and pan, etc. Now if you want to supercharge it, everything on the top end will have to go. You can re-use the heads, but they are not ideal and you will give up some power. You can keep the accessories. So, what have you saved. Maybe $5000 in parts. Well, the 525 is worth a bunch more than $5000 assembled and running. It would make sense to make a few small changes to the 525. We could increase the ci to 516 or 524, larger cam, higher comp. ratio, port work to the heads, etc. We reuse most of the existing parts. I just finished tuning a 525 with a Whipple that dynoed at 822 hp. It was still a 502 with the stock cam. With the above changes, it could make around 850-860 hp. That is about the limit with that size engine and those parts.
If you want more power or something with better parts, then you would be better off selling the 525 and starting from scratch. I can build whatever you want as far as power and budget. If you wish, give me a call and we can discuss your goals to determine the best course of action.
I look forward to speaking with you. I work late, so you can call anytime. Shop # 615-216-7449 or cell # 504-416-3607. Thanks
Eddie Young

Nordicflame
11-24-2009, 12:23 PM
Great for what they are but sell the 525EFIs with their pressed wrist pins, marginal crank, poor flowing heads and go with Mark (MER) or Eddie above ;)
You'll happier in the end and you have the hardware to put some good hp to the water.
Dave

Raylar
12-04-2009, 02:08 AM
This is a tough one but here goes. I think since you've already spent big bucks for the Whipple 525 supercharger packages that have his nice puffer and intercooler, manifold and programming setup, if it were me I would build two 555 cubic inch supercharged based shortblocks with the right cams and internals, run a good CNC program on those not so great Edelbrock heads with a definite spring package upgrade and a jessel type rocker shaft rocker system. Let Dustin at Whipple dial in the programming and I think an honest 850 HP at 5700-5800 rpm about 8 lbs of boost is very attainable with good engine life -400HRs or so before freshening if done right. The Mercury Racing equipment on the engine and its freshwater cooling make it a very affordable, clean and reliable supercharged engine package. Kind of like the 700SCI's that Dustin is modifying out now. Your drives and trannies will be no problem and nice Mercury Blue under the hood will be a great resale if you turn the boat.
Don't get me wrong the others here Like Eddie and Mer can do you some similar great packages. Its your call, its only my opinion!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

nortech4play
12-30-2009, 07:59 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions...I've decided on upgrading to a couple of Eddie Young's 925EFI motors.... Parts are on order and he's going to be getting started right after the New Years...:cheers2::biggrinjester:

YoungPerformance
01-08-2010, 03:02 PM
I will keep it updated with pics as it progresses. Thanks again Jim. I hope you are as excited about it as I am. Talk to you soon.
Eddie