PDA

View Full Version : Bravo XR change to ?

PARADOX
11-17-2009, 01:21 PM
What can I just bolt on to a Bravo XR. ITS set up? in lieu of the Bravos?

Imco? Merc. No 3 or 4? speedmasters?

Thx
P

11-17-2009, 02:16 PM
IMCO SCX

X-Power

B-Max

others?

Airpacker
11-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Peter, I am real happy with the SCX so far. Not cheap but less than 3 XR's a season :)

DiamondPerformance
11-17-2009, 03:10 PM
IMCO SCX has been out for over a year with good results. You will need to change your helmet also.

11-17-2009, 03:24 PM
You will need to change your helmet also.

Good luck getting the 4 little .250" bolts off the gimbal ring that hold the hinge pin cover on without them breaking off in your hand like little cardboard sticks.:ack2:

Merc doesn't Loctite those or Grease them and the stainless fuses to the aluminum very quickly. :(

MERPerformance
11-17-2009, 09:28 PM
Try alittle heat on the bolts, heat the alum. not the bolt, then back them out easy. I have found Loctite on the bolts that I have removed in the past. When installing; I always apply a tiny amount.

11-18-2009, 02:00 AM
Try alittle heat on the bolts, heat the alum. not the bolt, then back them out easy. I have found Loctite on the bolts that I have removed in the past. When installing; I always apply a tiny amount.

I did heat heat it up. Usually you can see a little loctite leak out when you do, Nothing here. :(

I was also disappointed how easy the bolts broke. 3 inch long box end, in my fingers and snap! they broke. Bolt # 5 in the picture BTW

Dr Speed
12-02-2009, 11:33 AM
What about the Imco SCT? Is it basically a SCX but with external transmission?

Airpacker
12-02-2009, 12:18 PM
What about the Imco SCT? Is it basically a SCX but with external transmission?

According to Imco, the SCX is as strong as the SCT and in some testing, actually gave better results. No need to rerig the transom. Change the helmut, bolt on the drive and go.

Dr Speed
12-02-2009, 02:06 PM
According to Imco, the SCX is as strong as the SCT and in some testing, actually gave better results. No need to rerig the transom. Change the helmut, bolt on the drive and go.

So a SCT is not a direct replacement for an XR but with a transmission.

Airpacker
12-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Correct. The SCT does not shift. It uses a transmission in the extension box

imco offshore
12-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Peter, if you do change,,, just bolt on the IMCO SCX and be done with it ,,,it,s 50% bigger gears and a lot stronger than the xr,s,,,, bolt on go have fun,,

Sean H
12-02-2009, 08:11 PM
this looks the best... don't know how they run though.

Dr Speed
12-02-2009, 09:14 PM

Would the upper bolt up to an XR extension box. Does the trans have to be in the box or can it be on the engine?

MattBMiller
12-02-2009, 11:22 PM

Can it be fitted into my existing IMCO extension box?

12-03-2009, 12:42 AM

Unfortunately, $35K each....plus options. Very cool though.

Rik
12-03-2009, 01:46 AM
Arnesons

Airpacker
12-03-2009, 10:07 AM
Would the upper bolt up to an XR extension box. Does the trans have to be in the box or can it be on the engine?

Yes, it the SCT ( transmission required) uses the same over size helmut that the SCX ( shiftable) uses so that part would need to be swapped to mount either drive to the XR gimbel ring. I imagine the trans could be anywhere.

I have been pounding my SCX with a 900 hp blower motor and so far, so good.
It shifts like it has a trans. By that I mean its smooth as silk which surprised me.

I wanted to go the SCX route because I did not want the extra weight of a transmission nor the wwwwork involved in movint the engine forward ( Blower crank pulley clears bulkhead by 3/8" ) to accom a tranny in the boat. I didn't want to run an extension box on my daytona either because they seem work better with the drive on the transom.
Before buying the drive, I looked at B max and even thought about an Arneson but a single prop surface drive on a single cat would have been a handful no doubt.
I used to run a black hawk and that, although fast was twitchy at speed.
With e 400 extra hp I aded to the boat, the BH would have poofed real quick so I ended up with the SCX upper mated to a shortie SC lower.

My Daytona loved Merc upper gear sets. About every 15 to 20 hrs it ate them.
Never had lower issues so I think I am safe with the leaner lower unit. The big SCX lower may have had some high speed handling issues ( stern lift ) over 100 mph so I chose the SCX / SC hybrid version.

Airpacker
12-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Can it be fitted into my existing IMCO extension box?

If you mean the transmission, I have no idea whatsoever.

Dude! Sweet!
12-07-2009, 02:58 PM

I've heard a lot of good stuff about the X Power drives. They're spendy, but they don't break (from what I hear). They will also help you find other weak points in your drivetrain... :cheers2:

12-07-2009, 05:00 PM
I've heard a lot of good stuff about the X Power drives. They're spendy, but they don't break (from what I hear). They will also help you find other weak points in your drivetrain... :cheers2:

I read someone broke one with a big blower motor and they rebuilt/replaced it under warranty.

Geronimo36
12-08-2009, 04:59 PM
BMax is the easiest swap and also the cheapest.

SCX 2nd

As for the screws on the hinge pin.... re-position, drill tap for new screws.... Also, use an impact screwdriver to remove them or an lightweight cordless impact gun...that works best.

12-08-2009, 06:20 PM
As for the screws on the hinge pin.... re-position, drill tap for new screws.... Also, use an impact screwdriver to remove them or an lightweight cordless impact gun...that works best.

You are the second person to tel me this method, how does that overcome the corrosion?

On ITS it is 4 bolts, not 2 screws.

Tom A.
12-08-2009, 11:06 PM
I see IMCO sells the SCX as just an upper. Does any one know if that bolt to an XR Sportmaster lower? Also, I believe the SCX comes standard as a 2" Shorty, do they offer 2" spacers?
Maybe I should just call IMCO! :)

12-08-2009, 11:22 PM
I see IMCO sells the SCX as just an upper. Does any one know if that bolt to an XR Sportmaster lower? Also, I believe the SCX comes standard as a 2" Shorty, do they offer 2" spacers?
Maybe I should just call IMCO! :)

Dick (aka Mr.Gadgets) checked. They are developing an adapter at this time to put an XR Sportmaster lower on the SCX upper.

I think he comes here, you may try P/Ming him.

Geronimo36
12-09-2009, 10:46 AM
You are the second person to tel me this method, how does that overcome the corrosion?

On ITS it is 4 bolts, not 2 screws.

Doesn't matter if it's the new style HP gimbal or the old, the same problem still exists. Using an light-duty impact gun or an impact screwdriver helps to overcome the corrosion because instead of constant pressure on the head of the bolt while you're removing it you're tapping it out which puts less stress on the head of the bolt (less chance of spinning the head off) and it just seems to work better.

To help with corrosion resistance when assembling I will use 2-4-C or Tef-Gel.

imco offshore
12-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Dick (aka Mr.Gadgets) checked. They are developing an adapter at this time to put an XR Sportmaster lower on the SCX upper.

I think he comes here, you may try P/Ming him.

sorry but you don,t need any adaptor,,,they will bolt on,,it,s the same bolt pattern, I race that package,, and swap out all the time,,,1'' short to 3'' shorty

12-09-2009, 01:30 PM
sorry but you don,t need any adaptor,,,they will bolt on,,it,s the same bolt pattern, I race that package,, and swap out all the time,,,1'' short to 3'' shorty

Just repeating what I was told. :willy_nilly:

Mr Gadgets
12-15-2009, 08:15 PM
The Merc vertical shaft is not the same spline as the SCX. So it used to be, you had to install an SCX vertical shaft in the Merc or SC lower in order to bolt it up. They are in the process of making the couplers now, so you can bolt up a Merc or SC lower without replacing the Vertical shaft in the lower. Just spoke with Dave yesterday on it.. They will be available soon.
They do have a 2" spacer if you want to lower a -2" shorty to standard length. The SCX lower is a -2" lower.
Dick

12-16-2009, 01:16 AM
The Merc vertical shaft is not the same spline as the SCX. So it used to be, you had to install an SCX vertical shaft in the Merc or SC lower in order to bolt it up. They are in the process of making the couplers now, so you can bolt up a Merc or SC lower without replacing the Vertical shaft in the lower. Just spoke with Dave yesterday on it.. They will be available soon.
They do have a 2" spacer if you want to lower a -2" shorty to standard length. The SCX lower is a -2" lower.
Dick

And there you have it. :USA: