PDA

View Full Version : Bounty Hunter in Key West

Ratickle
11-11-2008, 10:52 PM
Talked with "Keep It On Plane, Wayne" in Key West. Restored Bounty Hunter. Had 5's, original carbs, guages, steering, etc. Boat was shipping to France after the Key West dial in. He ran a little between heats etc. Nice Job....

45Sonic
11-11-2008, 11:16 PM
What year is that boat??

Ratickle
11-11-2008, 11:22 PM
What year is that boat??

Not exactly sure, Wayne said 30 years old.

Chris
11-11-2008, 11:24 PM
If I remember correctly, it's a '73 or '74.

We were out running with it in Otis' Gladiator and it ran very strong. They took the fuel injection off of the 482fi's and dropped the compression, but other than that, it's original. This was the ex-Fayva Shoes boat. Leaving for France, never to be seen again :(

Tony
11-11-2008, 11:38 PM
Didnt it just sell reccently?

RACESDAD
11-12-2008, 01:04 AM
that thing was georgous . i loved watching it run

Freezeframevideo
11-12-2008, 09:11 AM
http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll434/FreezeFrameVideo/08EE7745.jpg

Freezeframevideo
11-12-2008, 09:13 AM
http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll434/FreezeFrameVideo/08EE7753-1.jpg

Freezeframevideo
11-12-2008, 09:14 AM
all of saturday photos posted here http://www.freezeframe.us/photos.cfm?ID=278&action=new

C M R
11-12-2008, 10:08 AM
Didnt it just sell reccently?

I was thinking the same thing... Wasn’t it for sell in S. FL??

Pete B
11-12-2008, 10:10 AM
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m126/pete454/7Z0X2240.jpg

Chris
11-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Yes, it sold for an absurd price (low).

NJgr8ful
11-12-2008, 10:29 AM
I was thinking the same thing... Wasn’t it for sell in S. FL??Yup, think it was past winter, possibly the one before, Peter Pavkovich/CMS, in Fort Laud was selling for owner. I went down got to take a good look thru her, was all original and turn key, on the original trailer too :cool:

Yes, it sold for an absurd price (low).
and YES it was very absurd!

smokeybandit
11-12-2008, 10:36 AM
That boat really shows why HORBA needs to put on races with classic boats! I would much rather see video of that boat running in big seas than standing on the shore watching one of these new monster cats going 200mph in bathtub like conditions.

keeponplanewayne
11-12-2008, 09:40 PM
bouny hunter is a 1979 bubble deck (one of two) built by mcmanus.

stecz20
11-12-2008, 10:20 PM
its very cool...

Ratickle
11-12-2008, 10:21 PM
bouny hunter is a 1979 bubble deck (one of two) built by mcmanus.

Thanks for chiming in Wayne. Enjoyed meeting you and talking about the boat. As I said, too bad it will end up in France but nice the new owner wanted it restored all original. Paul

Biggus
11-13-2008, 07:03 PM
-Glad I had a chance to see it in person before it left the country. What a cool old ride, wish I stepped up to the plate when it was available.

TrippM
11-13-2008, 08:29 PM
That boat really shows why HORBA needs to put on races with classic boats! I would much rather see video of that boat running in big seas than standing on the shore watching one of these new monster cats going 200mph in bathtub like conditions.

I agree. There was more of a man and his machine against the elements in the old races. With todays technology it should be possible to bring good coverage of a true offshore event.

I'd love to see the classic deep V's running in the open ocean again.

NNRT
11-14-2008, 06:44 AM
I agree. There was more of a man and his machine against the elements in the old races. With todays technology it should be possible to bring good coverage of a true offshore event.

ME too !
Phil

jayboat
11-14-2008, 07:25 AM

That sure is a nice dream. Kinda feels like too much reality in the way of it actually happening, tho. We can dream...

Sure was cool to see Bounty Hunter, tho... it looked perfect.

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/8532/kw0852701024mu3.jpg

TrippM
11-14-2008, 08:49 AM
[QUOTE=jayboat;19775]That sure is a nice dream. Kinda feels like too much reality in the way of it actually happening, tho. We can dream...

I don't know if it is that much of a dream Jayboat. Look at vintage car racing, it's thriving. I'd say there might even be more interest in the vintage cars then the modern equipment at some events.

The big factor would be the safety issue. We wouldn't want people getting hurt. I think HORBA has a good handle on where the boats need to be horsepower and weight wise to keep them close to original speeds.

I'd love to see it become a regular schedule.

smokeybandit
11-14-2008, 09:51 AM
[QUOTE=jayboat;19775]That sure is a nice dream. Kinda feels like too much reality in the way of it actually happening, tho. We can dream...

I don't know if it is that much of a dream Jayboat. Look at vintage car racing, it's thriving. I'd say there might even be more interest in the vintage cars then the modern equipment at some events.

The big factor would be the safety issue. We wouldn't want people getting hurt. I think HORBA has a good handle on where the boats need to be horsepower and weight wise to keep them close to original speeds.

I think it's more dangerous to have these 200mph monsters on a tight course. Arent's most of the accidents rollovers in overcrowded turns? It seems when we raced back in the 80's there were much fewer accidents, and the ones we did have were mostly stuffs, which the canopies have taken care of (for the most part). There is a reason that the two most popular offshore vids are Warpath in Point Pleasant , and Alez Vite in the Keys. Great OFFSHORE racing!

Freezeframevideo
11-14-2008, 11:13 AM
http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll434/FreezeFrameVideo/08EE7842.jpg

littlenige
11-14-2008, 11:42 AM
A big thanks for posting these fantastic pictures guys - if I'd have travelled to the US for the championships this boat alone would have made it worth it. What an incredible machine, and tremendous to see it still with the old livery. If you have more pics feel free to post!

Dunaruna
11-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Thanks to all who made this possible. Wayne,Tony, Mark, and Jeff from freezeframeVideo for getting the most incredible shots of Bounty Hunter and bringing the magic of this boat back to life.

Dunaruna.

Pete B
11-14-2008, 01:06 PM
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh201/Pboden19/SBI%20Sunday%20race%201/sunday%203rd%20race/2cd165e8.jpg

Dunaruna
11-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Thanks also go to Mr Pete Boden from performance boats & Naplesimage.com
for shooting the boat and posting on this thread. Duna

NJgr8ful
11-15-2008, 09:04 PM
WoW Duna that is unreal ... thing is amazing. I like the bubble deck :cool: :cool:

Ratickle
11-15-2008, 10:11 PM
WoW Duna that is unreal ... thing is amazing. I like the bubble deck :cool: :cool:

True, I really hope the guys in France appreciate what they have.

Dunaruna
11-15-2008, 11:19 PM
Yes Sir we do. As you can see the original Target Trailor completly restored.
The guys who painted the boat in 1978/79 back to re-paint this year.
Trying to keep the Bounty Hunter as original as possible with the next job being the engine hatch with the scoops etc. and a couple of spare engines to compete in a couple of classic events, both here in the states and europe.
Yes we do appreciate very much whats been built in the past, and what can be built in the future in the USA. Thanks for your concern. Duna

Ratickle
11-15-2008, 11:41 PM
Trying to keep the Bounty Hunter as original as possible with the next job being the engine hatch with the scoops etc. and a couple of spare engines to compete in a couple of classic events, both here in the states and europe.
Yes we do appreciate very much whats been built in the past, and what can be built in the future in the USA. Thanks for your concern. Duna

Good to know, take good care of her.

NJgr8ful
11-15-2008, 11:45 PM
Hello Duna,
If you hadn't read earlier, maybe in a different thread, I took a flight down to Ft. Lauderdale to see this boat at Peter P's shop. It had been for sale for a couple months, maybe 6-8 weeks or more, and price had been reduced ... she started looking like a real good opportunity. I called Peter and they had not taken a deposit yet. Within the next week or so I booked a flight and jumped in my dad's car and drove over to see her. It was still Fayva Shoes boat at that time, still on original Target trailer ... all unrestored, but beautiful condition! When I walked into that dark garage, there she sat next to a 47' Apache triple #6s, and stood her ground next to that beauty! I met with Peter's partner and, even though he told me a deposit had just been given, :( he showed me, inside / out, the Fayva bubble deck. All during which, he raved about the boat's condition and then told me the price it went for, fully turnkey, WOW I was pretty impressed and disappointed at same time LOL :)

I love that you have put so much effort and money into her to bring her back to pristine condition. I was in no position right now to be able to give that much attention to detail and the expense that you guys have :cool: I am actually VERY happy you good folks ended up with this classic ((HORBA must)) piece of history. Drive it proudly and enjoy her!

Best regards,
Chris Ward
NJ, USA :cheers2:

Dunaruna
11-18-2008, 07:11 AM
Hello Chris,
Yes I followed all threads with interest. Thanks for the kind words and all positive response generated by the boat being in Key West.
It was a great pleasure to see the reactions and smiling faces of many people who saw the boat last weekend and a lot of pride and joy generated from running the boat.

all the best Duna.

Top Banana
11-18-2008, 09:30 AM
Duna.....on the HORBA site there is a section called archives....under that is a subsection called stories.

In that section is the story of the first race that your boat ran in, fresh from the factory.

It is the December 2006 issue of Extreme Boating Magazine.

The story features some nice shots of your boat with the original race hatches and decal placements.

As my son told you in Key West, we have a series of photos of the boat before any paint at the Cigarette factory, which we will send along also.

Enjoy www.historicraceboats.com

Dunaruna
11-18-2008, 09:47 AM
Hi Charlie,
I knew it was you and the Banana boat when we idled out of the port,
unmistakable silhouette of the vessel and some Guy on the boat making hand signs for me to Gun It.even from a distance. Understood and job done.
A great pleasure to meet you and your son and a highlight of my weekend.
I am also glad you met the guy from P1 and i am sure it was an informative RDV.

All the best Duna.

PM me if needed i will send you an email.

Toasty
11-18-2008, 01:26 PM
beautiful hull. May want to wrap travel lift straps in plastic before you lift so as not to scratch the hull.
Best with your boat
C

jayboat
11-19-2008, 09:08 AM
One more from Key West.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/5377/kw085278nb1.jpg

Dunaruna
11-20-2008, 07:03 AM
Thanks for your concern chris with regards to the lifting straps.
Hey "Jayboat" thanks for adding another great picture of the Boat.

Cheers Duna

littlenige
11-22-2008, 09:04 AM
That boat is achingly beautiful! Can't understand that there are those out there who have no feeling for it at all. Keep us all posted Duna!!!

Dunaruna
11-24-2008, 07:03 PM
A few more images of the boat for LittleNige. and beautiful she is.

Next Generation
11-25-2008, 04:19 PM
Great Job Guys!!!!

Billy Martin Jr.

Geronimo36
11-25-2008, 05:34 PM
Cool boat and good luck with it!

Freezeframevideo
11-25-2008, 11:54 PM
http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll434/FreezeFrameVideo/08EE7787.jpg

Dunaruna
11-30-2008, 02:23 PM
Hey Billy Martin Jr, thanks for the compliment.I respect what you are doing with your race boat,best of luck with future events and sponsership.
The 1st Shot is in the UK for the cowes Race era 1979. 2nd shot boat as found. 3rd shot Today. Regards Duna

littlenige
12-06-2008, 07:49 AM
Now if only all the old beauties could be saved like this! Thanks for the pics! What a triumphant return for the old girl!

NJgr8ful
12-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Duna, here's one I found Cigarette ad from a while ago.

What is the history? Bounty Hunter originally, then Fayva, now Bounty again?

Dunaruna
12-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Hi Chris. I am not so sure on the History of this boat, information I will share. The boat was built when Halter Marine were involved with Cigarette. I believe the 1st race name was the "BOUNTY HUNTER" and raced by Billy Martin Sr. I think "FAYVA SHOES" had the Boat in the early 80s. with Michael Meynard. Also it was raced by a Japanese team and called "BENGAL" i have very little information and pictures from that era.
Maybe Top Banana "Charlie" or "littlenige" have more input on this. i know the boat was stored for many years from 87 to this day and Keith Ekhart can't remember when he built the engines we have today!!!. Cheers Duna: sifone:
The boat was winterized and stored by "Mr Bob Idoni" Perfect as found: drool5:

Top Banana
12-06-2008, 08:24 PM
To add to the confusion.....here is another 39 built by Halter in that same time period and raced sometimes by Mark McManus and at other times Willy Meyers.

And then here is another photo showing the same boat as Fayva shoes too!!!

Dunaruna
12-07-2008, 04:19 AM
Hi charlie.
The two blue Photos above of the Halter Racing Bubble deck,I reckon are both the same boat!!!! or the 2nd 39'. which brings me to the conclusion that Fayva Shoes raced the Red & Blue boats in and around the same period. i have seen a picture of the Red Fayva boat and trailor too. The confusion comes also with the race numbers. It would be nice to clarify this point. Did Fayva Shoes race in both boats.Cheers Duna

MarylandMark
12-07-2008, 08:32 AM
Great thread!

Most talked about boat at the 1st Annual Don Aronow Race? "The Cigarette"
Most talked about boat at the 2008 KW World's? "Bounty Hunter"

Great job!

Top Banana
12-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Great thread!

Great job!

Mark...Thank you. Here are a couple of shots of the two boats.

Top Banana
12-07-2008, 08:51 AM
Glenn....my son is still looking for the photos of the Bounty Hunter being built at the Cigarette factory......we know we have them, as we sent them to Billy Martin Jr for his collection about a year or so ago, if all else fails, we can get copies from him.

Get a jacket Glenn, because HORBA is going to be keeping you busy racing some of your old boats....here is the patch we gave to all participants in the Don Aronow race last June.

As you can see from my old jacket, the patches just keep coming once you start......BTW, my jacket hasn't got 1/2 of what Bob Nordskog's jacket did...he had patches on top of patches.

Ratickle
12-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Great thread!

Great job!

Simply amazing. When I saw the boat and spoke them about the resto, I had to start this thread. It's great to see a boat I used to drool over completely restored and running. Time to drool over it again.:drool5:

Steve 1
12-11-2008, 05:34 PM
The story I heard on that boat was Maynard was flying over a race in Jersey I think, He saw that boat landed and bought it on the spot crew truck and all. These were real nice people Bobby, Ritchie and Mr Maynard BTW Fayva Cat 1 one was Cougars first big wood cat.

BOJOE2
12-13-2008, 12:36 PM
saw it in the keys running then looked at it by the docks it looked awsome

Dunaruna
12-13-2008, 04:42 PM
The Red Bubble deck 39' Cig. As Bounty Hunter also Fayva Shoes. Duna

Dunaruna
12-13-2008, 05:37 PM
The Blue Bubble deck 39' Cig. Halter Racing also Fayva Shoes. Duna:sifone:

Steve 1
12-13-2008, 05:54 PM
To add to the confusion.....here is another 39 built by Halter in that same time period and raced sometimes by Mark McManus and at other times Willy Meyers.

And then here is another photo showing the same boat as Fayva shoes too!!!

I was with Fayva then they borrowed that Boat from Cigarette San Power we installed the New (at that time) Efi Mercury race engines and headed for the Championships in Key West in those days you could have two boats we took the Cat also. Bobby could not race he had a broke leg from the crash of Fayva Cat two so it was Maynard and Anglo Meli .. The Boss ran the Cat but it was a Vee day that Kevlar Cigarette ran like 86 across 8 footers with 3 feet of crap blowing. It would have won that day.

MikeyFIN
12-15-2008, 09:48 AM

They still are.. In EUROPE.
Thereīs a lot of old (domestic) raceboats over here dusting off too.
Remember to operate one here with the gas prices we have you gotta be dedicated and then some.

Then on the other hand if you get your classic boat races and classes going you can bet there will be some foreigners owning and using their old boats in U.S.A instead of taking them over.
SoFla for example is full of Europeans with Condos and such for vacations and me myself Iīm dreaming of retiring there too.

MikeyFIN
12-15-2008, 09:56 AM

Correct to some degree.
Iīm a semi-pro race mechanic by profession ( as Semi as not landed a full time job as a mechanic sofar..only 25yrs since I started).
The Vinatge circuits area means for gentlemen to race but not take it so dead seriously and admit we ainīt no young guns anymore.

Thenagain Iīve been around the Vintage racecars ( have 2 myself) but also theres a lure to new cars also.
Same goes with boats.. a Class1 raceboat is stunning.

Just keep the engines in same size as before and the induction..that surely restricts enough when you ainīt allowed any megacube mountain motors.

Sure is the old boats will nowadays be faster than before because of prop and engine technology but not much IMO.

MikeyFIN
12-15-2008, 10:02 AM
Great thread!

Great job!

donīt forget Dry Martini was the most talked boat at a poker run a while back too...

Now will some Italian step up to the plate soon when itīs for sale?

littlenige
01-01-2009, 12:41 PM
That earlier shot colour corrected.......

Ratickle
01-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Sweet. I will always pay attention to this thread.

Bodyshot1
04-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Outstanding!...now that's a raceboat!!

Congrats & Good Luck with her across the pond.

T2x
04-08-2009, 03:44 PM
[QUOTE=Bodyshot1;181559]Outstanding!...now that's a raceboat!![QUOTE]

And....that's a boat racer!!!!

t2x

Bodyshot1
04-09-2009, 08:17 AM
agreed!

longshot
04-28-2009, 06:15 PM
Hi how fast did it run in key west. Thanks.

Chris
04-28-2009, 08:09 PM
We were running side-by-side with the boat at about 75 just outside the harbor.

thefever29
09-03-2009, 12:40 AM
Ok there were two bubble decks boats built correct? Did the other bubble boat ever race?

wstultz
09-03-2009, 01:01 AM
Ok there were two bubble decks boats built correct? Did the other bubble boat ever race?

Yes it was the Popeyes boat and is for sale right now in Louisiana.

Ratickle
09-03-2009, 06:53 AM

Any links or information????

Dude! Sweet!
09-03-2009, 10:48 AM
It's the boat with the crazy pink and blue/purple blob paint job that shows up on eBay from time to time.

wstultz
09-03-2009, 12:29 PM
It's the boat with the crazy pink and blue/purple blob paint job that shows up on eBay from time to time.

That is the last place i saw it.

thefever29
09-04-2009, 03:20 PM
yeah i know of the boat i just wasnt sure if it raced. anyone has any pics of it from its racing days?

Dunaruna
10-21-2009, 03:38 PM
A few up dated images of the Bubble deck running last weekend in the UK.
The waters were calm and the boat ran well. A great time was had by everyone. Now looking forward to getting ready for next years events.
Duna :sifone:

imco offshore
10-21-2009, 06:28 PM

do you know where and how much by any chance?:sifone: god knows i love that boat,,,

Ratickle
10-21-2009, 06:38 PM
A few up dated images of the Bubble deck running last weekend in the UK.
The waters were calm and the boat ran well. A great time was had by everyone. Now looking forward to getting ready for next years events.
Duna :sifone:

Thanks for the update....

HIGH LIFE
10-21-2009, 07:12 PM
Saw this listing on ebay, item # 200396614343, boat is at LSU. "HIGH LIFE"

Ratickle
10-21-2009, 07:17 PM
Saw this listing on ebay, item # 200396614343, boat is at LSU. "HIGH LIFE"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/40-Cigarette-Offshore-Racer-Historic-Bubble-deck-Popey_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ200396614343QQsspagenameZRSSQ3aBQ3aSRCHQ3aUSQ3 a101

Tom A.
10-22-2009, 09:28 AM
Does anyone have pics of the "splatter" boat from the Popeye's days?

Ratickle
10-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Does anyone have pics of the "splatter" boat from the Popeye's days?

That's not it in the link for sale I put up???

Chris
10-22-2009, 08:39 PM
Every time it's been for sale the ask has been stupid money.

Tom A.
10-23-2009, 08:26 AM
That's not it in the link for sale I put up???

:seeya:
That is the boat, what I meant was does anyone have pics of that boat back in the day as the Popeye's boat. I would like to see it in the glory days.

ygrowup
10-23-2009, 09:44 AM
:seeya:
That is the boat, what I meant was does anyone have pics of that boat back in the day as the Popeye's boat. I would like to see it in the glory days.

Saugatuck, MI.....'82

DAREDEVIL
10-23-2009, 10:56 AM
I would like to know if the hull ( bottom) is any diffrent then the HAWK or other 38's from that era ??!!!

MikeyFIN
10-24-2009, 05:15 AM
Nope.

Tom A.
10-24-2009, 03:16 PM
I thought the 39's were stretched 36's and the 38 were different. The bottoms could be the same.
BTW, thanks for the pic.

Top Banana
10-25-2009, 08:41 AM
I thought the 39's were stretched 36's and the 38 were different. The bottoms could be the same.
BTW, thanks for the pic.

The 40's were stretched 36's.....all widebodies.

The 35 X 8 was stretched to 39 and then that mold was blocked down to a 37.6 and the Ajac Hawk was pulled out of that. Years later when the movie Top Gun came out, they grabbed the name and used it for the 37.6.

MikeyFIN
10-25-2009, 10:07 AM
And the name works even today ;)

Tom A.
10-25-2009, 01:33 PM
The 40's were stretched 36's.....all widebodies.

The 35 X 8 was stretched to 39 and then that mold was blocked down to a 37.6 and the Ajac Hawk was pulled out of that. Years later when the movie Top Gun came out, they grabbed the name and used it for the 37.6.

Thanks! I got my 36 and 35 mixed up. I knew they put the raised "step" in the rubrail so the tail would not be under water when idle.