PDA

View Full Version : 402 SR1 avaliable without power

MILD THUNDER
11-12-2009, 12:02 AM
Hey Guys, selling my 402 SR1. Comes with everything except engines/trannies/headers. Clean boat. If anyones interested.

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/classifieds/index.php?page=out&id=377

glassdave
11-12-2009, 12:55 AM
link didnt work for me

11-12-2009, 01:55 AM
Try this;

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/classifieds/index.php?page=search&s_res=GO&q=402+sr1&cid=328&f_year_min=&f_year_max=&f_length_min=&f_length_max=&f_price_min=0&f_price_max=0&pricderange=Select+Price+Range&Search.x=39&Search.y=7

I sure like the proportions on those 402s. I did not know they were that rare.

With the 42 Fountain on ebay getting up there (37K), I think you are reasonably priced.

FULL FORCE
11-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Reasonably priced kinda, but i think in this market it would be hard to sell anything that old with no power for more then 10,000.00

Nice boat but to most guys buying older boats they want cheap and the most money is in engines/trans/drives and for what you can buy a running 357 Formula these days makes it hard to spend that on one with no power, 402 is bigger and may be rare but turn key older boats can be had for 15,000-25,000 these days and need alot less work then rigging a boat completely.

I know 2 guys locally that bought very nice 357's for 18,000 ish with 420's turn key

MILD THUNDER
11-13-2009, 09:22 PM
Reasonably priced kinda, but i think in this market it would be hard to sell anything that old with no power for more then 10,000.00

Nice boat but to most guys buying older boats they want cheap and the most money is in engines/trans/drives and for what you can buy a running 357 Formula these days makes it hard to spend that on one with no power, 402 is bigger and may be rare but turn key older boats can be had for 15,000-25,000 these days and need alot less work then rigging a boat completely.

I know 2 guys locally that bought very nice 357's for 18,000 ish with 420's turn key

I hear ya. But I think 10k would be giving the boat away. Sure, it needs engines and trannies. But there is ALOT there. All the rigging, mounts, electricals, Mayfair FULL hydraulic steering system, a/c, Generator(needs work but all there) Full autometer gauges (27 total between driver and pass side) Stereo system, full camper enclosure with bimini tops, Custom aluminum powdercoated swim platform, microwave, two sinks, fridge, triple bank battery charger, docking lights, mechanical indicators, k planes, steel triple axle trailer, so on and so on.

Theres old 38 Cigarette flatdecks that need TOTAL restorations, missing engines, drives, upholstery shot, in need of paint, sitting for years. To me, thats a PROJECT!! And they are still priced from 20-30k.

Basically, if someone has some motors ready to drop in, the boat would/could be running in a weekend. As a matter of fact, the motors are still in it and if it was warmer i'd be out on it.

The 357 SR1 is a awesome boat, i always liked them. But the ride and room in a 402 is like the difference between a 311 and 357. The 402's are 40'2", with my swim platform almost 43', plus 9'3" wide beam.

Another unique thing about my particular boat is the x dimension is high for a TRS boat, and has the notched transom. I know of some 402's that have similar HP, but several mph slower. With 600's and stock 28p bravos, this boat has went 74mph on gps. With 5 blade maximus, 70-71 all day. Not lightning fast considering the power, but comparable to a older cig 38 flatdeck.

18K for a turn key 357 SR1 with 420's on a trailer is a FANTASTIC deal in my book. When my buddy was shopping boats this spring, I couldnt find a 311 or 292 for him in that price range.

Audiofn
11-13-2009, 09:38 PM
Cigs have an almost cult fallowing. Formula has it but not anything like Cig does. If you knew what I got my 311 for you would chit. Boat prices have dropped drastically in the last few months even.

Jon

cashbrain
11-13-2009, 09:52 PM
My Flat Deck was a great deal...and you would have saved all the trouble(and money)..:sifone:

scottc
11-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Let me know if you start to part it out, I still have my 402 and love it. Stock 502's closed cooling, runs 53mph but need to get the props right. 53 @ 4300rpms. running bravo 22's on it. Not very fast but turns lots of heads every where I go.

11-13-2009, 11:22 PM
Cigs have an almost cult fallowing. Formula has it but not anything like Cig does. If you knew what I got my 311 for you would chit. Boat prices have dropped drastically in the last few months even.

Jon

And yet the fountain on ebay without engines/drives and not in the best condition went for $39K.

Not arguing, just saying "go figure" :confused:

Not very fast but turns lots of heads every where I go.

They have great proportions. All the flat transom Formulas do actually. :sifone:

nthdegree
11-14-2009, 06:47 AM
Our 402-SR1 was a great boat....I think the forward deck was 22 feet long!!!

Trim'd Up
11-14-2009, 09:26 AM

Good looking boat! They definitely have the classic go-fast look. Anybody ever put big power in one say 900+ a side?:driving:

FULL FORCE
11-14-2009, 09:34 AM
I hear ya. But I think 10k would be giving the boat away. Sure, it needs engines and trannies. But there is ALOT there. All the rigging, mounts, electricals, Mayfair FULL hydraulic steering system, a/c, Generator(needs work but all there) Full autometer gauges (27 total between driver and pass side) Stereo system, full camper enclosure with bimini tops, Custom aluminum powdercoated swim platform, microwave, two sinks, fridge, triple bank battery charger, docking lights, mechanical indicators, k planes, steel triple axle trailer, so on and so on.

Theres old 38 Cigarette flatdecks that need TOTAL restorations, missing engines, drives, upholstery shot, in need of paint, sitting for years. To me, thats a PROJECT!! And they are still priced from 20-30k.

Basically, if someone has some motors ready to drop in, the boat would/could be running in a weekend. As a matter of fact, the motors are still in it and if it was warmer i'd be out on it.

The 357 SR1 is a awesome boat, i always liked them. But the ride and room in a 402 is like the difference between a 311 and 357. The 402's are 40'2", with my swim platform almost 43', plus 9'3" wide beam.

Another unique thing about my particular boat is the x dimension is high for a TRS boat, and has the notched transom. I know of some 402's that have similar HP, but several mph slower. With 600's and stock 28p bravos, this boat has went 74mph on gps. With 5 blade maximus, 70-71 all day. Not lightning fast considering the power, but comparable to a older cig 38 flatdeck.

18K for a turn key 357 SR1 with 420's on a trailer is a FANTASTIC deal in my book. When my buddy was shopping boats this spring, I couldnt find a 311 or 292 for him in that price range.

I understand, guess my point is the market is tough and it will take a right buyer, just hard to find them now, I have also seen the old Cigs listed around for 20-30, but they are not selling either, I can say though, I love Formula's but the ride is not that of a Cig... at least in Lake Erie..

I would entertain your boat if I had power just sitting ready to drop in just because I think the 402 is a sweet looking tank!!

11-14-2009, 03:19 PM

Perfect proportions. Trend now is "cab forward". Short decks and oversized party cockpits. The CG on these (and other long decks) must be pretty good. They sure fly nice, straight and level. :USA:

I saved those pictures, that is one sweet boat.

MILD THUNDER
11-14-2009, 04:07 PM
I run on lake michigan with mine. The 402 is a 40' 24 deg straight HEAAVYYY V bottom. I'd say the ride is comparable if not better than a 38 cigarette. The 402 is about 3 ft longer than a 38 cig (37'6) and heavier. However, the cigarettes in my opinion were built stronger and will take big power/big water better than the Formulas. The 402 was designed to be a posh playboy boat. Not too many older 38 cigs with liquor decanter wet bars and microwave, ac units, custom cabinets, etc. The Formula is very comfortable in lake michigan 2-4's, what some call 4-6 in there neck of the woods. Its more of a set the sticks and run 55-60 thru whatever.

Last year me and a few buddies ran from hammond indiana to michigan city, prob about 35-40 miles each way in what "I" call 2-3' water. 55-65mph the whole way there and back and my dunkin donuts coffee cup stayed in my cupholder the whole day. My buddy Tony M on here can attest that he ran with us in his 27 Formula, and he litterly wore skin off his a$$ from the bolster and he brought a newbie boater with him for that trip who swore he was done boating after that ride! Both the 27 Formula and 38 Top Guns got to michigan city and there cabin doors were jammed shut and wouldnt open. Sometimes tanks are good.

11-14-2009, 04:37 PM
How heavy is the boat? Did you consider selling it with the power? Gotta love the old style swept forward Stellings headers. :driving:

MILD THUNDER
11-14-2009, 05:45 PM
How heavy is the boat? Did you consider selling it with the power? Gotta love the old style swept forward Stellings headers. :driving:

Yea, i thought about it, but for what the motors would cost me to duplicate, I'd have to get around 40k for the boat complete at least. I think im gonna try Ebay tomorow and see what happens

cashbrain
11-14-2009, 09:30 PM
I run on lake michigan with mine. The 402 is a 40' 24 deg straight HEAAVYYY V bottom. I'd say the ride is comparable if not better than a 38 cigarette. The 402 is about 3 ft longer than a 38 cig (37'6) and heavier. However, the cigarettes in my opinion were built stronger and will take big power/big water better than the Formulas. The 402 was designed to be a posh playboy boat. Not too many older 38 cigs with liquor decanter wet bars and microwave, ac units, custom cabinets, etc. The Formula is very comfortable in lake michigan 2-4's, what some call 4-6 in there neck of the woods. Its more of a set the sticks and run 55-60 thru whatever.

Last year me and a few buddies ran from hammond indiana to michigan city, prob about 35-40 miles each way in what "I" call 2-3' water. 55-65mph the whole way there and back and my dunkin donuts coffee cup stayed in my cupholder the whole day. My buddy Tony M on here can attest that he ran with us in his 27 Formula, and he litterly wore skin off his a$$ from the bolster and he brought a newbie boater with him for that trip who swore he was done boating after that ride! Both the 27 Formula and 38 Top Guns got to michigan city and there cabin doors were jammed shut and wouldnt open. Sometimes tanks are good.

Not just weight...the span of a wave is just over 31 feet...
If you are over that, the ride is considerably smoother

11-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Not just weight...the span of a wave is just over 31 feet...
If you are over that, the ride is considerably smoother

All waves are 31 feet apart? How can that be when so many factors are involved?

What is the weight on the 402? What years did they make them?

cashbrain
11-15-2009, 12:59 AM
Just a general rule of thumb(on Lake Michigan,anyway)

MILD THUNDER
11-15-2009, 11:39 AM
If i had to guess, the 402's have to be around 12500 lbs fully rigged.

Flying Dutchman
11-15-2009, 12:44 PM
I read in Professional Boat Builder that there was a run of 40 foot formulas constructed with a special Kevlar/foam laminate structure. Were they referring to the 402's?

Mild thunder, do you know if your boat is 'glass or is there some Kevlar?

MILD THUNDER
11-15-2009, 12:49 PM
I read in Professional Boat Builder that there was a run of 40 foot formulas constructed with a special Kevlar/foam laminate structure. Were they referring to the 402's?

Mild thunder, do you know if your boat is 'glass or is there some Kevlar?

The previous owner had mentioned that my hull was kevlar, and deck fiberglass.

However, I contacted Formula, and their rep asked a few guys who worked down in Florida where mine was built. They said they didnt recall any use of kevlar back in that era, but who knows.

I know Wellcraft was using alot of Kevlar/nomex in the old 38 Kaama edition scarabs...supposedly saved about 1500 lbs off the boats weight according to a 1982 issue of powerboat I had.

B.Z.
11-17-2009, 09:14 PM
I have been in this boat and for what he is asking for the boat it's going to be a great deal for somebody. I have see that thing run in what I would call 3-4's and it dosen't even bounce. Also those red chairs are awsome after a long day of drinking...LOL

Tony M
11-19-2009, 10:31 AM

Last year me and a few buddies ran from hammond indiana to michigan city, prob about 35-40 miles each way in what "I" call 2-3' water. 55-65mph the whole way there and back and my dunkin donuts coffee cup stayed in my cupholder the whole day. My buddy Tony M on here can attest that he ran with us in his 27 Formula, and he litterly wore skin off his a$$ from the bolster and he brought a newbie boater with him for that trip who swore he was done boating after that ride! Both the 27 Formula and 38 Top Guns got to michigan city and there cabin doors were jammed shut and wouldnt open. Sometimes tanks are good. Had To Duck Behine Your Boat For A Break Or Two But We all Tuff It Out ! Me Out Of The Water Than In , SHE is A Beatifull Luxry Liner Next To My Little Fly'er ! :driving:

mustang
11-27-2009, 12:52 PM
I saw that you sold her on E-bay on Wednesday. I think you did allright selling her without power. Did the buyer contact you yet? Smetimes ebay buyers are a little sketchy. What's next for ya?

Tony M
11-28-2009, 09:41 AM
WAY TO GO , CUZZ Congrats Hope I Get Lucky With Mine Now!

B.Z.
12-01-2009, 11:37 PM
She Gone?????