PDA

View Full Version : Looking at tow rigs... what would you buy?

Pages : [1] 2

fund razor
11-08-2009, 08:04 AM
Ok... time for me to get serious about a tow rig. I have a 28 foot Apache Brave. Kind of heavy. Could creep up on 9,000 with gas and gear. I intend on trailering within a 300 mile radius or so.

I can probably spend around 15k max. (That means don't suggest a F650) I am thinking of staying with 4x4 SRW. I just don't think that my load requires DRW.

I'll be adding electric over hydraulic brakes to cover all axles of the trailer. I could always do a weight-distributing set up to gain some capacity and control. I'll take the factory hitch off of the truck and have a higher capacity one put on.

With all this in mind... I am leaning toward a 1999-2006 Ford 250 with the diesel.
Any thoughts that I can benefit from?

Thanks.

Ratickle
11-08-2009, 08:22 AM
I think the 250SD is a good choice. I would have said a GM until it became Government Motors.

I've also seen some 350's in that price range, but unless you buy a bigger boat, no need.

And, since you mentioned it, why brakes on all three axles?

fund razor
11-08-2009, 08:32 AM
I think the 250SD is a good choice. I would have said a GM until it became Government Motors.

I've also seen some 350's in that price range, but unless you buy a bigger boat, no need.

Yeah... I have a GMC 1/2 ton outside, and a 20 year history of GMC trucks.

I heard that it (brakes all axles) was required in some places.

With the long winter here, I figured a heavy duty 250 with 4 wheel drive and single rear wheel would be more versitile.

Scarab KV
11-08-2009, 09:33 AM
This is a highly opinionated subject so I'm probably gonna open a can of worms, but here goes.
I prefer a DRW myself. Triaxle trailers won't push them around like a SRW. I pulled my
30' Villain on a triaxle with both and never went back once I used a DRW. After pulling the KV with a 96 GMC for a couple years I took a test run with a new 2001 Ford. Even with the new independent front suspension on the Ford, the GMC was hands down the better ride. I haven't pulled with a newer Ford lately, but the 90's and early 2000's were notorious for sloppy steering. The GM's had much tighter steering. When I was in between duallies I pulled with a couple late 90's F350's and hated the way they wanted to wonder.
Then there's the heavier axles, tubed verses channeled frame, extra leafs, etc etc.
I see a lot of pics of 3/4 ton trucks squatting low in the azz with boats your size and even using leveling bars to try and compensate for what the truck lacks. You mentioned changing to a heavier hitch. That's kinda falling into compensating class.
IMO you buy a little more truck then you need rather then just enough to get by.

Just my .02 worth John......and a little been there done that.:D

Chris
11-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Buy a diesel Excursion and put the 250 suspension on it. You already know how that works.

Seriously, I can get more into my Ex than you ever could into the back of a pickup with a cap. And while I can't easily haul 14 sheets of plywood, when's the last time you did? And U-Haul will rent you a trailer for those times. But I can tell you I get it stuffed full of friends or business associates all the time. And it's the same truck as the 250, but rides better.

BBB725
11-08-2009, 10:35 AM
Yeah... I have a GMC 1/2 ton outside, and a 20 year history of GMC trucks.

I heard that it (brakes all axles) was required in some places.

With the long winter here, I figured a heavy duty 250 with 4 wheel drive and single rear wheel would be more versitile.

Florida does

Scarab KV
11-08-2009, 10:56 AM
I guess if I'm shopping for a tow vehicle, I'm looking for a sufficient tow vehicle. Not a Limo:D

Seriously though. With a 9000 lb GVWR on a 250, your at the top of the scale for that truck and just get'n by.

Now here's a new twist to consider. I follow a lot of law suits involving the trucking industry and the lawyers are really grabbing at straws to lay blame on truckers when they initially weren't at fault and they're get'n away with it.
For example.....even though my client was drunk and blew the stop sign, the trucker would not have been there to hit and kill him if he would've been traveling the speed limit instead of 2 mph over the limit. This isn't just limited to the trucking industry anymore either.
Now what happens when a truck pulling a boat is involved in a fatality accident and the sleeze ball lawyers go him for towing with an inadequate or under licensed truck.
I know that may seem far fetched. A lot of cases I follow would've seemed that way a few years ago, but they're reality today:(

inbetween
11-08-2009, 11:57 AM
There's a lot of f250s and f350s in that price range with the 7.3 powerstroke. 99-03 I believe. '99 F250/F350 diesel rated towing capacity is 11,000# (from the owners manual)

Expensive Date
11-08-2009, 11:59 AM
My 3500hd DRW is overkill for my Formula about 10k lbs with trailer and loaded with fuel but it sure tows nice.Look on autotrader.com you will get an idea what stuff is going for.You can't always go buy the trucks towing rating I was actually legal (without fuel) towing with my last truck a Nissan titan and thought it was ok.Till I got the Dually then realized how scary it was to tow with that truck.

fund razor
11-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Hmmm.

Scarab KV
11-08-2009, 12:04 PM
There's a lot of f250s and f350s in that price range with the 7.3 powerstroke. 99-03 I believe. '99 F250/F350 diesel rated towing capacity is 11,000# (from the owners manual)

Is that what they say it can pull or the GVWR.
The 09 SD's have a 15,000lb hitch and Ford says they can pull up to like 30,000 or something like that, but the GVWR is no where's near the rating on the hitch. If I remember right, the total combined on an SD calculates to around 23,000 lb. Regular 250 will be less.

Scarab KV
11-08-2009, 12:15 PM
My 3500hd DRW is overkill for my Formula about 10k lbs with trailer and loaded with fuel but it sure tows nice.Look on autotrader.com you will get an idea what stuff is going for.You can't always go buy the trucks towing rating I was actually legal (without fuel) towing with my last truck a Nissan titan and thought it was ok.Till I got the Dually then realized how scary it was to tow with that truck.

The furthest I've pulled is 1600 miles round trip. Pulled the Villain up to Canada and the KV back. When you can leave your hand off the wheel for sometimes a mile at a time with out drifting, ya know it's tracking great. Thing handles like there's noth'n back there.:driving:

inbetween
11-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Is that what they say it can pull or the GVWR.
The 09 SD's have a 15,000lb hitch and Ford says they can pull up to like 30,000 or something like that, but the GVWR is no where's near the rating on the hitch. If I remember right, the total combined on an SD calculates to around 23,000 lb. Regular 250 will be less.

You're gonna make me get the book out :biggrinjester:

Ok so my memory is a little off.

1999 F250SD 3.73 axle, F350 SRW 3.73 axle & F350DRW 4.1 axle (all with powerstroke) are listed as maximum GCWR (gross combined weight rating) 20,000#, maximum trailer weight 10,000#. Fifth wheel max trailer weight is GCWR - GVW

MarylandMark
11-08-2009, 12:56 PM
2006 F350 SRW long bed 6.0 w/67K trouble free (knock on wood) miles. King Ranch w/stock 20" rims (not sure if that makes it more/less stable than smaller rims/tires)
My future FIL has a 2006 F350 DRW KR reg bed with higher gears and stock 18" rims.

I think mine looks better, gets 3MPG better and his is not that much better at towing than mine. Gears help on big hills but I've never not been able to climb a hill with my truck. Yes, his is more stable with the DRW but towing my boat it is not that much differerence at all even on 1 lane each direction bridges 100 feet in the air with 20MPH winds running at 60MPH with big rigs blowing by in the other direction of travel.

I think my SRW is rated to tow more because his truck weighs more; like total weight is the same (26K LBS?) but since my truck is lighter it can tow more I have have more cargo before hitting the limit.

JupiterSunsation
11-08-2009, 02:30 PM
Florida does

FL requires front axle only.....not all axles. Stop by the local boat ramp this weekend and you will quickly see front axle only is majority.

JupiterSunsation
11-08-2009, 02:32 PM

If he is buying used, then why not GM? Govt Motors has nothing to do with a 3-4 year old truck.....

fund razor
11-08-2009, 02:55 PM
Perception impacts resale.

imco offshore
11-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Buy a diesel Excursion and put the 250 suspension on it. You already know how that works.

Seriously, I can get more into my Ex than you ever could into the back of a pickup with a cap. And while I can't easily haul 14 sheets of plywood, when's the last time you did? And U-Haul will rent you a trailer for those times. But I can tell you I get it stuffed full of friends or business associates all the time. And it's the same truck as the 250, but rides better.

i agree with the Excursion,powerstroke, i had a 350sd powerstoke dually4door,and bought the Excursion. 4x4 and love it, i go to every race with a LOT of extra parts, and still plenty of room inside,,,

Scarab KV
11-08-2009, 03:15 PM

All the better for you as the buyer. By the time you're ready to sell, this GM thing will be yesterday's news and resale will be back where it belongs.:biggrinjester:

MarylandMark
11-08-2009, 03:21 PM
That is what I was thinking- buy it to run it in the ground over the next 10 years and then dump it off for Cash for Clunkers 7 at that time.

Griff
11-08-2009, 05:33 PM
My 2001 Chevy 2500HD CC pulls my 32 AT just fine is well under towing capacity. It's about 10k on the trailer. I have the 8.1/allison. I would go with a duramax or 8.1 gasser. The 6.0 does not have enough torque enough in the right rpm range for towing and you can't get the allison tranny with the 6.0.

WMF
11-08-2009, 07:23 PM
you need a nice 2008-10 Ford F-450!! John!

Scarab KV
11-08-2009, 07:40 PM

Nice

Expensive Date
11-08-2009, 08:44 PM

Already factored in mine stickered for 54gs got it for 40gs new

MOBILEMERCMAN
11-08-2009, 10:09 PM
I spent 6 months looking for a white 15k truck. Ended up spending 19k for and 03 F250 4 door 4X4 7.3. I love it. Everything I found at 15 was all beat up.

It is my first diesel.. It is the only way to go.

I sat in a new loaded F350 in StClair... It was rreeaaalll nice at 55k

Ratickle
11-08-2009, 10:51 PM
If he is buying used, then why not GM? Govt Motors has nothing to do with a 3-4 year old truck.....

I know, but I have had GM's my entire life and am really pizzed. I totally expect them to drive Ford into bankruptcy even though they did things right. So, more Ford demand, better for Ford overall.

Expensive Date
11-08-2009, 11:59 PM
The only reason ford did not have to file was the borrowed a ton of money while it was still available.

phragle
11-09-2009, 12:59 AM
I spent 6 months looking for a white 15k truck. Ended up spending 19k for and 03 F250 4 door 4X4 7.3. I love it. Everything I found at 15 was all beat up.

It is my first diesel.. It is the only way to go.

I sat in a new loaded F350 in StClair... It was rreeaaalll nice at 55k

That was a sweet truck, but i chit purple twinkies when I saw the sticker...

fund razor
11-09-2009, 07:27 AM

You should color match the rig to the boat so people know that the boat was painted that way on purpose, and that it hasn't been vandalized. :) :D (messing with you Bill)

Anyway.... among the things in my price range, I could live with an Excursion, a 250SD, or a 350. Whatever I get will be "cab heavy," I already have a 1/2 ton pickup for Saturday chores and Home Depot runs. It's a 94 Sierra that has been paid off for many years....(125,000 miles) and I have maintained it well.
Got it ready for winter this weekend. New tires, oil change, coolant check, wiper blades and a wash.
This is probably an argument for the Excursion or at least a crew cab.

fund razor
11-09-2009, 07:28 AM
That was a sweet truck, but i chit purple twinkies when I saw the sticker...

If you had eaten purple twinkies within 4-6 hours prior to the event, you should be ok. If not... get checked.

Scarab KV
11-09-2009, 09:42 AM
You should color match the rig to the boat so people know that the boat was painted that way on purpose, and that it hasn't been vandalized. :) :D (messing with you Bill)

Anyway.... among the things in my price range, I could live with an Excursion, a 250SD, or a 350. Whatever I get will be "cab heavy," I already have a 1/2 ton pickup for Saturday chores and Home Depot runs. It's a 94 Sierra that has been paid off for many years....(125,000 miles) and I have maintained it well.
Got it ready for winter this weekend. New tires, oil change, coolant check, wiper blades and a wash.
This is probably an argument for the Excursion or at least a crew cab.

Longer the wheel base, better the ride and less prone to a jack knife.

fund razor
11-09-2009, 11:41 AM
Longer the wheel base, better the ride and less prone to a jack knife.

But.... harder to manuever backing... no??

Scarab KV
11-09-2009, 12:10 PM

Not really. May not follow aroud as quick as a shorter truck, but if you're in a tight place a small pull ahead will straighten it out quicker. Keep in mind with a longer trailer like yours, you won't be chasing it like a shorter trailer.

inbetween
11-09-2009, 07:57 PM

I use my Crew cab short bed F250 as a daily driver (at least in the winter) and maneuverability is not an issue. Just can't pull into parking spots, backing in is easier and also easier to get out that way too.

The GM trucks seem to have a better turning radius than the Fords.

RLJ676
11-09-2009, 09:33 PM
My 2001 Chevy 2500HD CC pulls my 32 AT just fine is well under towing capacity. It's about 10k on the trailer. I have the 8.1/allison. I would go with a duramax or 8.1 gasser. The 6.0 does not have enough torque enough in the right rpm range for towing and you can't get the allison tranny with the 6.0.

I agree, and have the same truck. If you don't drive a ton in the truck and don't need the better milage, I'd recommend the big block over a similar diesel to save a lot of cash up front, and still be able pull pretty heavy.

I had 2 6.0's (never towed with them though) and they did not feel stout like my 8.1 does.

As to resale concerns because of "government motors".... GM gained sales year over year and outperformed the industry, so it appears the public on the whole doesn't share the extremist views some do which would hurt resale in a few years.:USA:

BGIII
11-09-2009, 10:33 PM
How many miles per year will you put on this truck? I would personally not risk the expense of diesel repairs if you are only using this truck 2-3 thousand miles per year. I say this because the only $15,000 diesels I see are well used and high mileage and major diesel repairs like injectors or fuel pumps can be very expensive. If you are going to park it in the driveway and use it 10 times a year, I would buy a 2003 or newer 8.1L 2500 Yukon or Suburban or a 2005 Excursion w/ a V10. I know there are plenty of nice GM's around for under 15k, not so sure about the Fords. If Ford is your gig, I would want an 05 Excursion with the newer V10, the new suspension and the updated styling. The big SUV's are great in the snow due to their balance and weight and are also great for road trips without the boat. Even though they don't haul bark real well, you can haul a lot of chit in them and keep it all locked up and hidden from sight behind the dark glass. On the other hand, if you are going to buy something and drive it everyday, I would pony up for a diesel Excursion. It will be a lot more than 15K for a nice one, but what a sweet ride they are. If they made one with a 12,000# rating, I'd probably have one in the garage right now.

fund razor
11-10-2009, 07:59 AM
I agree, and have the same truck. If you don't drive a ton in the truck and don't need the better milage, I'd recommend the big block over a similar diesel to save a lot of cash up front, and still be able pull pretty heavy.

I had 2 6.0's (never towed with them though) and they did not feel stout like my 8.1 does.

As to resale concerns because of "government motors".... GM gained sales year over year and outperformed the industry, so it appears the public on the whole doesn't share the extremist views some do which would hurt resale in a few years.:USA:

Understood. But "extremist?" :D

I was one of those shouting the rally cries of "Cadillac CTS!!! Malibu!!" a couple of years back when these new models came on the market. Fast forward and the Camaro makes me suspicious. I am just nervous about GM's health. I sure would never wish bad things for them. Besides.... I'm in the car belt and a bunch of friends work there. Extremist is those crazy bastages towing with Nissans. :D
Two out of three of my current vehicles are GMs, and they are not for sale.

fund razor
11-10-2009, 08:07 AM
How many miles per year will you put on this truck? I would personally not risk the expense of diesel repairs if you are only using this truck 2-3 thousand miles per year. I say this because the only $15,000 diesels I see are well used and high mileage and major diesel repairs like injectors or fuel pumps can be very expensive. If you are going to park it in the driveway and use it 10 times a year, I would buy a 2003 or newer 8.1L 2500 Yukon or Suburban or a 2005 Excursion w/ a V10. I know there are plenty of nice GM's around for under 15k, not so sure about the Fords. If Ford is your gig, I would want an 05 Excursion with the newer V10, the new suspension and the updated styling. The big SUV's are great in the snow due to their balance and weight and are also great for road trips without the boat. Even though they don't haul bark real well, you can haul a lot of chit in them and keep it all locked up and hidden from sight behind the dark glass. On the other hand, if you are going to buy something and drive it everyday, I would pony up for a diesel Excursion. It will be a lot more than 15K for a nice one, but what a sweet ride they are. If they made one with a 12,000# rating, I'd probably have one in the garage right now.
Some great points here. The new truck/suv would be for towing and extreme winter weather. Maybe 5,000 miles per year max. And that's figuring for poker runs and trips. I searched for diesel excursions and they were very rare. (Had to expand out more than 100 miles to pick just one up in a search) I did see plenty of V10s. (20 within 50 miles)
I have a "bark hauler." (Old GMC half-ton) :D

Trim'd Up
11-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Just make sure if you go v10 get a 05+ with the 3 valve motor. The older 2 valve v10's are nothing impressive.

BradB
11-10-2009, 10:18 AM
I my self have been looking for a truck for towing the boat. Looking foor a f-250 or f-350 crew cab. Would like to find something with the 7.3 diesel but with that being a highly wanted engine the prices are through the roof. Been in the 15K price range, but everything I have found in that price range has been beat up and used hard or 150K+ miles. I have been looking for about 4 months now. Everything I have found thats decent is closer to the 20K range. I have been checking Autotrader and the local ford dealers everyday. Everyonce in a while you will find a nice one but they usually sell very quickly. Kinda hard for me to justify 20K on a truck right now but im still looking. Ill keeep an eye out for ya in my searches too!

brad

Magic Medicine
11-10-2009, 11:05 AM
I my self have been looking for a truck for towing the boat. Looking foor a f-250 or f-350 crew cab. Would like to find something with the 7.3 diesel but with that being a highly wanted engine the prices are through the roof. Been in the 15K price range, but everything I have found in that price range has been beat up and used hard or 150K+ miles. I have been looking for about 4 months now. Everything I have found thats decent is closer to the 20K range. I have been checking Autotrader and the local ford dealers everyday. Everyonce in a while you will find a nice one but they usually sell very quickly. Kinda hard for me to justify 20K on a truck right now but im still looking. Ill keeep an eye out for ya in my searches too!

brad

I have to agree if you are willing to go 20K it will really open up the selection.

Quinlan
11-10-2009, 12:47 PM
I put over 100k miles on my 01 Chevy 2500 crew long bed w 8.1. Loved the truck lots of power with the 8.1. Most of the time was towing the 29 Outlaw. Now gas milage well forgetaboutit. Went w 3500 srw 07 classic w duramax now Even better. And tows the CIG!
The only problem I had w the 8.1 was the trans case and it LIKED oil bout a qt per 1k miles.

VetteLT193
11-10-2009, 01:54 PM
don't be too scared of a well maintained higher mileage diesel. There's 256,000 miles on the 2001 duramax in my driveway.

And FL does require brakes on all axles. It's a retarded law but it is what it is. I have overkill with a triple axle trailer (could run on 2 of the 3). I only have 4 wheels with brakes regardless of the law.

Ryan8886
11-11-2009, 12:18 AM
Can I throw a dog into the hunt here as well? I might be looking to make a move into the truck end of things. Always drove small cars, but since I bought the Sunsation with my friend a couple years ago, I've been thinking I need a truck of my own for towing. Our 32 is 6200 pounds dry weight. Not sure what that would translate to with trailer, gas, etc. but here goes...would be a daily driver for me. Possibly up to a 60 mile round trip for work every day. Most of the trailering would be within 200 miles max. Would be financing and prefer '07 or better for interest rate reasons. Would be able to go up to about 20K-25K. Suggestions??

Expensive Date
11-11-2009, 01:34 AM
Can I throw a dog into the hunt here as well? I might be looking to make a move into the truck end of things. Always drove small cars, but since I bought the Sunsation with my friend a couple years ago, I've been thinking I need a truck of my own for towing. Our 32 is 6200 pounds dry weight. Not sure what that would translate to with trailer, gas, etc. but here goes...would be a daily driver for me. Possibly up to a 60 mile round trip for work every day. Most of the trailering would be within 200 miles max. Would be financing and prefer '07 or better for interest rate reasons. Would be able to go up to about 20K-25K. Suggestions??

With trailer and fuel you are pushing 10k lbs so at least a 3/4 ton Gm Ford or Dodge will be fine depends on what you like.Autotrader.com is a good way to feel out what stuff is going for.

phragle
11-11-2009, 03:01 AM
Yo Fundy... this be the ticket!!!

http://www.commercial-truck-insurance.info/images/custom-big-rig.jpg

Griff
11-11-2009, 03:37 AM

You should be in the 8500-9k range for weight. Since it is going to be a daily driver with a 60 mile commute, I would go with 2500HD with a duramax. You can pick up 2005 and 2006 Crew cab's for under 25k with low/mid range miles on them. The 2005 and 2006's should also get better mileage since they were made before some of the newer gov't mandated emission stuff.

Knot 4 Me
11-11-2009, 09:44 AM
You should be in the 8500-9k range for weight. Since it is going to be a daily driver with a 60 mile commute, I would go with 2500HD with a duramax. You can pick up 2005 and 2006 Crew cab's for under 25k with low/mid range miles on them. The 2005 and 2006's should also get better mileage since they were made before some of the newer gov't mandated emission stuff.I towed a 2000 32 Dominator with a 2004 2500HD DMax and it was like the boat wasn't even back there. Great choice.

Ryan8886
11-11-2009, 02:21 PM
You should be in the 8500-9k range for weight. Since it is going to be a daily driver with a 60 mile commute, I would go with 2500HD with a duramax. You can pick up 2005 and 2006 Crew cab's for under 25k with low/mid range miles on them. The 2005 and 2006's should also get better mileage since they were made before some of the newer gov't mandated emission stuff.

What would be considered "low/mid range miles" on a diesel?

Griswald
11-11-2009, 03:45 PM
100-150k

RLJ676
11-11-2009, 08:17 PM

If you plan to keep it for a while and put on a fair amount of miles, I'd get a D-max. For that price range for a 07 it will probably have some "high" miles, but shouldn't be an issue.

On the other hand, a gasser will pull the boat (but not as well) and cost way less up front. If you won't put close to 100K miles on it, it may not be worth the upgrade to the diesel. Basically you could get a nicer gasser or more base D-max, depending on your needs. All the diesel fanatics will scream otherwise, but for certain situations the gasser makes more sense (economically anyways).

JCG
11-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Fund,

As you already know, I have the same boat that you do and I bought a used 07' Ford F-250 for towing it. Here in Puerto Rico, the terrain is far from flat and my truck does great with the weight. I have even towed my dad's 35' SeaVee with no problems. I should mention that here in P.R. there is no law mandating trailer brakes for boats, so mine don't actually work, jeje. (Please don't lecture me on safety). The truck can slow the boat down, no problem. The truck is also my daily driver. Good luck with your search!

Julian

fund razor
11-13-2009, 07:25 AM
Fund,

As you already know, I have the same boat that you do and I bought a used 07' Ford F-250 for towing it. Here in Puerto Rico, the terrain is far from flat and my truck does great with the weight. I have even towed my dad's 35' SeaVee with no problems. I should mention that here in P.R. there is no law mandating trailer brakes for boats, so mine don't actually work, jeje. (Please don't lecture me on safety). The truck can slow the boat down, no problem. The truck is also my daily driver. Good luck with your search!

Julian

The more I think about it, the more I lean toward replacing my 1/2 ton truck with a 3/4 ton rather than having a pickup and an suv. I have a parking lot full of vehicles already, it seems.

The rig looks good. Can't wait until I can use my boat, too. :D

Have a good one.

Tony
11-14-2009, 02:02 PM

Thats what I would buy. In fact, Im thinking of cutting my losses and dumping my piece of **** Silverado HD and buying a Ford. Ive always been a die hard GM truck fan but given all the problems Ive had with my current truck, I doubt if I'l ever buy another one. I have 2 7.3 super duties in the work fleet that get abused all day every day and have had minimal issues.

indywhsle
11-14-2009, 02:35 PM
I am a wholesaler and have pulled my 29 outlaw with many different trucks. If you go with a ford diesel don't get a f-250 with a 6.0. I used one this year and it sucked. The best ford I used was a 06 f-350 dually and a close second was the 01 Excursion with the 7.3. The only thing that I don't like about a dually is that I can't take it through a car wash and they are a pain to park in a parking lot. I still have the Excursion and am ready to sell it if anyone is interested. It has 123k miles and runs great. It is a 4X4 white Eddie Bauer edition. If anyone is interested I will sell for $15,500.

Nmocean
11-15-2009, 10:25 AM
When I did this search 2 years ago I looked just at GM and Ford, I gave up on Dodge because I replaced too many transmissions and a rear end, not to mention the doors rusting out. I ended up buying a v10 f250 extended cab. It pulls great and it does slow down a little more than a diesel counterpart pulling hills. It probably would keep up if you ran it. I did change mine over to headers since some of the exhaust stud broke. But I am in the same boat I drive it very little just in the snow and towing, but we did take it on vacation and the truck being sensible with your foot got a tick under 20mpg it gets 13 towing unless you hammer it.

indywhsle
11-15-2009, 01:39 PM
I have never heard of a v10 getting anywhere close to 20mpg. 10 maybe and it gets the same towing or not. If you really are getting close to 20 then I would never sell that truck. It is a one of a kind.

Griff
11-15-2009, 04:41 PM
What would be considered "low/mid range miles" on a diesel?

I looked at a 2005 Chevy 2500HD CC with 50k on it and it was priced at 25k. That was about 6 months ago. I decided I would just keep my 01 8.1 for a while longer. It was about a 17k price difference with mine as a trade.

Griff
11-15-2009, 04:44 PM
My friend had a Ford V10 and said he got 15mpg empty and about 10mpg towing. I get about 13.5 empty and 8-8.5 towing 10k.

sledge
11-16-2009, 07:18 PM
'01 Yukon XL 2500 w/8.1L 4wd 3.73s pulled the 311 just fine. Won't set speed records and won't pass as many gas stations without stopping. It'll work a bit harder than the diesel getting up the hills but otherwise it's a cush ride. Carry 5 people in comfort plus all the crap covered/locked in the back. Nice thing about the 3/4ton SUV is it still gets the AUTO 4WD button the 3/4T pickups don't get. Locks the front diff but the sensors detect slip and engage the transfer case.
As for cargo room and weight carrying...I put 2000lbs of tile in the truck and then hooked up the 8000lb enclosed trailer...no weight dist hitch needed and the truck barely squatted. Put the 2nd row seats down and 14 sheets of plywood are no problem. :D

Not that I miss it or anything...

the bear
11-17-2009, 10:42 AM
My 01 excursion had a V10, it would get 15-16 mpg empty, and 10 mpg towing...I liked it for towing.

fund razor
12-03-2009, 11:03 AM
anybody strongly recommending diesel over gas?

VetteLT193
12-03-2009, 11:22 AM

you have to do the math yourself. there is NOTHING like diesel though. I usually tow with a Lincoln Navigator (5.4). it gets horrible gas mileage towing my Donzi 28ZX (10 is the highest I see). The duramax is far superior in both power and mileage.

fund razor
12-03-2009, 11:52 AM
you have to do the math yourself. there is NOTHING like diesel though. I usually tow with a Lincoln Navigator (5.4). it gets horrible gas mileage towing my Donzi 28ZX (10 is the highest I see). The duramax is far superior in both power and mileage.

I am seeing some F250SDs with 7.3 diesels in my price range. Comparably priced to slightly lower mileage gassers.

DAREDEVIL
12-03-2009, 01:07 PM
If u only use it a couple of times in the year,,,DIESEL is not worth it.

My old Suburban with a 350 gets 12-15 MPG either way,,,towing or not.
A diesel would have a little more pep,,,and maybe geting 16 MPH.
Thats what i found .
Also Diesel is more at the pump,,,,at least here !

indywhsle
12-03-2009, 01:50 PM
I am seeing some F250SDs with 7.3 diesels in my price range. Comparably priced to slightly lower mileage gassers.

From looking at your pic of your boat. I would go with a diesel. With that much weight the ride and the wear and tear is much easier on a diesel. I pull with all kinds of trucks and the diesel is by far the best. By the way I still have my 2001 excursion w/7.3 that I will sell.

VetteLT193
12-03-2009, 01:52 PM

When you do the math, also look 5 years older with 5 years of the miles you will put on the truck to compare 'future resale' Diesels have a pretty high low value.

As to daredevil's MPG it is way better than I ever see. My MPG calculations are very accurate though, not rough estimates, so that might be part of the difference.. could also be the torque of the 350 VS the Ford 5.4 3V. I see an honest 11.7-13.1 MPG in town. 14.8 Hwy cruising around 80. Towing... fogeddaboudit. in the high 9's, can be lower. occasionally higher if I am doing a long run at 45-50 MPH. I'm not hard on it either, by any stretch, so it could be lower... it is mated to a 6 speed auto. I usually get better than EPA estimates based on how I drive. not in this thing.

In the duramax I don't think I have seen less than 15 ever and there is more power. (I'd buy a powerstroke over Dmax though.) I know I can pretty solidly add 5 MPG to any of my numbers above and be close.

Based on prices I see, you can buy an early 2000's powerstroke for 15k or less in excellent condition. But, I never see them for under $7500 in good shape with really high miles. never seen one less than 5-6k period. So, it costs a grand a year to own it? Gas though, the bottom value is pretty much the floor.

VetteLT193
12-03-2009, 01:53 PM
From looking at your pic of your boat. I would go with a diesel. With that much weight the ride and the wear and tear is much easier on a diesel. I pull with all kinds of trucks and the diesel is by far the best. By the way I still have my 2001 excursion w/7.3 that I will sell.

how much? I've been looking but can't find one reasonable.

Magic Medicine
12-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Fund,

If you are going to do alot of towing you can't go wrong with a diesel. Things to remember is in most places diesel is about the same price as premium fuel. The maitenance on a diesel is more expensive, oil changes, fuel filters etc. Lastly working on a diesel can get expensive. All that said I love my Ford diesel and will not own a gasser as long as I am trailering my boat. I don't care what anybody tells you won't find any brand of gasser that will tow as well as any brand of diesel. Its up to you in the long run!

Knot 4 Me
12-03-2009, 02:29 PM
anybody strongly recommending diesel over gas?I am. Started out gas, went diesel, now back to gas. Biggest mistake I ever made was going back to gas. Diesel all the way.

indywhsle
12-03-2009, 02:34 PM
how much? I've been looking but can't find one reasonable.

It is white w/tan leather 4X4. One owner w/125k. I with take $14500. call me for any more details. Mike 317-679-4453

VetteLT193
12-03-2009, 02:34 PM
FYI: someone has a dmax for sale on OSO for 10,500

indywhsle
12-03-2009, 02:51 PM
yep ex.cap 195K. Not a good comparison to a 7.3 Excursion.

fund razor
12-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Hey Mike,

Forgive me if you already mentioned this... but are there any other handy upgrades to your Excursion like rear air bags or beefier suspension or brakes? I have a buddy that towed mine with a 7.3 diesel excursion for a long ride and we did use a little air to level things out. He had added bags aftermarket.

Thanks.

rjr
12-04-2009, 10:13 AM
The early 6.0 L Power Strokes had serious problems. Navistar and Ford were trading lawsuits over them. The 7.3 is suppose to be the best Diesel ever made, but you are pushing 10 yo if you lok for one of them. I have an 08 DRW 6.4 with 16K miles. I tow a Formula 38. The whole thing inc full tanks on truck and boat weighs 25K. I have not had a problem towing yet. Who knows what the future will bring.

JPD MOTORSPORTS
12-04-2009, 02:13 PM
I have a 1999 f350 4x4 auto diesel 4door single rear axle short bet, white with gray interior. gauges, headrest monitors, intake kit, 5"exhaust, 6 position flip chip. truck odo has 202000 miles. The motor has right at 80miles on along with transfercase and trans. Will take 11,000.00 for it. I use it for work and drive over 300miles pullen 12k trailer full of tools every 7 days on a one way trip. not afraid to drive cross country in(got a job in Oregon this Jan) and is what crew will take if not sold.

Heavyhauler
12-06-2009, 08:14 PM

I do. In the price range you are looking in, you'll most likely be seeing vehicles that already have in excess of 100,000 miles. Most diesels are just getting broke in good at 100,000. I know of a 7.3 Ford that my cousin has been driving for years that has 400,000 on it and hasn't been overhauled yet. I've had several duramax's since 2001, that I put over 100,000 on each with zero problems and the current 2005 duramax I am driving has 165,000 and doesn't use a drop of oil. I have a tri axle dump truck that has a duramax in it that we haul 22 tons on every load, all day every day and its got 250,000 on it and no problems yet.

phragle
12-07-2009, 01:21 AM
Im feeling old..that last ford deisel I had was the 6.9... That truck was rode hard and put away wet with never a whimper.

showtime83
12-07-2009, 03:42 AM
ive got a early 99 7.3 powerstroke crew cab long box srw, truck has around 180k hard miles on it, 4 inch lift, 35's, the front and rear leafs are aftermarket from the lift, they have 11 springs total each corner, it rides hard, however it does not have that sag that most diesel's have in the front, you can take your hands off the wheel and it tracks straight. however because of the wide tires it pulls if its in the truck ruts. the eninge is far from stock. my dad has a 04 crew cab long box, srw, but with the v-10, he uses his truck to tow a mile down to the gas station and put in and take out at the ramp, all within a mile, he choose the v-10 over diesel, for intial cost, not using the truck often enough to justify the fuel costs and more so, the maintance. the maintance is huge on my diesel compared to the gas, not lets talk other things on the diesel, the cost of a water pump, very expensive, injectors, the HPOP, 2 batteries, 99-04 ford diesels are hard on balljoints, wheel bearings. my dad went from a diesel to gas, his experience with his first 7.3 was great, but the overall costs for not using the truck hauling everyday was not worth it. i think if all your doing is 2 or 3 trips, and a mile or two to the ramp, i would get the gassser knowing what i know now. cant really beat the v-10 excursion or the gmc with 8.1.

fund razor
12-07-2009, 07:31 AM
ive got a early 99 7.3 powerstroke crew cab long box srw, truck has around 180k hard miles on it, 4 inch lift, 35's, the front and rear leafs are aftermarket from the lift, they have 11 springs total each corner, it rides hard, however it does not have that sag that most diesel's have in the front, you can take your hands off the wheel and it tracks straight. however because of the wide tires it pulls if its in the truck ruts. the eninge is far from stock. my dad has a 04 crew cab long box, srw, but with the v-10, he uses his truck to tow a mile down to the gas station and put in and take out at the ramp, all within a mile, he choose the v-10 over diesel, for intial cost, not using the truck often enough to justify the fuel costs and more so, the maintance. the maintance is huge on my diesel compared to the gas, not lets talk other things on the diesel, the cost of a water pump, very expensive, injectors, the HPOP, 2 batteries, 99-04 ford diesels are hard on balljoints, wheel bearings. my dad went from a diesel to gas, his experience with his first 7.3 was great, but the overall costs for not using the truck hauling everyday was not worth it. i think if all your doing is 2 or 3 trips, and a mile or two to the ramp, i would get the gassser knowing what i know now. cant really beat the v-10 excursion or the gmc with 8.1.

Thanks. Interesting perspective. Thinking about my work schedule and everything... I'll bet that I end up doing two 500-1000 mile trips a year and the rest will be 25 miles to a good ramp. 50 miles round trip to/from ramp. Even if I do that 20 times... that would only be a thousand... so we are talking 2000-3000 boat hauling miles absolute maximum possible on a big boating year with plenty of time off of work. If I skip a poker run or do any rack storage those miles would drop fast. Maybe the gasser would be better in terms of maintenance.

RLJ676
12-07-2009, 07:56 PM

Well stated. I try and convey this all the time.

I bought an 01 2500 with the 8.1L for a little more than an injector job on diesel would cost....well maybe a bit more. I'll drive it short distances to work in winter, and the occaisonal trip. At most a few k miles a year. A big block or 6 liter will run for well over 200K miles as well, ask anyone running fleets with these motors. If you aren't putting large miles on the truck, you will never pay back the milage savings, and it only gets worse after adding up the maintenance costs.

The 6.0 won't pull hard, but I'd put my big block up against any 01 diesel in stock form.:USA:

fund razor
12-08-2009, 12:20 PM
So as far as gassers go... people like the V10 ford and the 8.1 GM?

RLJ676
12-08-2009, 09:58 PM
So as far as gassers go... people like the V10 ford and the 8.1 GM?

Can't speak on the V10, but the big block is completely different than the 6.0 GM motor. Just be aware you will burn some gas.
:driving:

sledge
12-10-2009, 06:10 PM
Not that there's anything "wrong" with the V10 as compared to the 496...

But Raylar makes goodies for the 8.1L.... :D

If you get it in an SUV (Suburban/Yukon XL/Avanlanche) it will come with the 4L85E trans, and in a pickup it will have the Allison bolted to it. While the motor might not be in production anymore, there will be plenty of parts to keep you going for a long time. I have to believe SUVs/trucks with the 8.1L are dirt cheap these days.

fantastixvoyage
12-10-2009, 06:32 PM
$9k and she's yours...over $8k of new parts

fund razor
12-11-2009, 06:19 AM

If you get it in an SUV (Suburban/Yukon XL/Avanlanche) it will come with the 4L85E trans, and in a pickup it will have the Allison bolted to it. While the motor might not be in production anymore, there will be plenty of parts to keep you going for a long time. I have to believe SUVs/trucks with the 8.1L are dirt cheap these days.

As I have moved through this thought process, I have gone back and forth on SUVs a couple of times but I keep coming back to a truck.
I found a 9year old 3500 1 ton with a crew cab, leather interior and the big block. Less than 30k original miles for around 14.

fund razor
12-11-2009, 06:20 AM
$9k and she's yours...over $8k of new parts
Was kind of holding out for a crew cab. But I just noticed that you are dam near local to me. Just curious... how many miles and which engine?

hotjava66
12-11-2009, 12:21 PM
if you are going to drive it in winter be aware DRW are worse on snow and ice than SRW, ive had both and live in Michigan. i tow a lot of equipment around for work and i while a dually does tow a little better, its not a huge difference, and daily driving is much better in a SRW. i have an 05 Chevy Duramax crew cab, 97k miles ive been driving but ive been thinking about getting a newer one.

sledge
12-11-2009, 02:22 PM
for around 14.

Probably about $4-5k more than you should pay IMHO. I see that Rob didn't reply to this thread but he pulls his Tiger with a crew cab dually with the 496...pulled it all the way from MD to FL a couple years ago for the Bimini race. Absolutely nothing wrong with the pickup truck...especially if you find an LT - leather,power, heated seats. :D

fund razor
12-12-2009, 08:48 AM
Probably about $4-5k more than you should pay IMHO. I see that Rob didn't reply to this thread but he pulls his Tiger with a crew cab dually with the 496...pulled it all the way from MD to FL a couple years ago for the Bimini race. Absolutely nothing wrong with the pickup truck...especially if you find an LT - leather,power, heated seats. :D

Agreed on price. I went and saw it last night and it is very nice... 27,000 original miles. and it's an LT. Nearly perfect.
But I ain't paying 14k for a 9 year old truck. When the guy came out and tried to talk to me I told him that I had just stopped by to see it in person, now I was going home to do some research on what the pricing should really be. He said ok, call us if you want to make an offer. It was like 9 degrees out, so it was a short conversation.
They had a lot of 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. This was the oldest one on the lot being a 2000.
Oh... and it has the 7.4 liter 454.

fund razor
12-12-2009, 09:17 AM
Oddly... nada said 13,500. Must be the low miles.

BUIZILLA
12-12-2009, 09:31 AM
looks like 4wd??

MarylandMark
12-12-2009, 09:41 AM

About right- they are always on the high side from what I've read.

tstuck
12-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Who is the dealer that has those truck if you don't mind telling. We want to go to a 3/4 or 1 ton crew cab truck also since our 2004 1/2 ton suburban I think is pushing it's limits. We have a 2005 Baja 275 and the suburban pulls it fine as long as you take it easy going up hills. We have replaced the shocks which helps the rear from shaging to much. I know we are wanting to much in a low miles good shape truck that's doesn't cost a lot. We would like a white one if we can find one. Why is a DRW worse then a SRW? I would have thought the opposite thinking beater grip with the drw.

Seafordguy
12-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Fund - I had the 6.5 TD in that truck (mine was a Chevy). Make sure it has discs on all four sides. Mine didn't and it was a handful at best looking back on it.

In my opinion GM was a little behind ford in their styling both in and out because the Fords from 99+ were more updated both inside and out versus that style of GM truck. The comparison in towing and styling from that truck to my 2000 F350 was a WORLD of difference in my opinion.....

12-12-2009, 06:57 PM
I've had a 2003 Chevy Silverado (1500) and a 1996 suburban (1500 also) and the brakes are terrible. I actually brought the '03 to a friend that does work on heavy equipment and HD trucks to look at it and he said they're all like that. He even swapped out a newer GMC 2500 series for an f-350. I believe he mentioned something regarding the master cylinder not being adequate for the braking required on their trucks.

fund razor
12-12-2009, 07:38 PM
I've had a 1993 GMC 1500 since 1997. Bought it with 30,000 miles and have 130,000 now. Towed a 6000 lb boat up the Chicago Skyway bridge with it. And down the other side. No problems like lack of brakes. I did have a brake line failure that took out the rears. The line was replaced. We have salt here. It happens. My 93 GMC truck would go cross country right now. Just gas up. Even put a set of tires on it last month.

I would buy a GMC or a Ford.

Scarab KV
12-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Agreed on price. I went and saw it last night and it is very nice... 27,000 original miles. and it's an LT. Nearly perfect.
But I ain't paying 14k for a 9 year old truck. When the guy came out and tried to talk to me I told him that I had just stopped by to see it in person, now I was going home to do some research on what the pricing should really be. He said ok, call us if you want to make an offer. It was like 9 degrees out, so it was a short conversation.
They had a lot of 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. This was the oldest one on the lot being a 2000.
Oh... and it has the 7.4 liter 454.

That's a sharp look'n truck John. Did the guy ever drive it? Pretty low miles for a dually that old. They usually get the miles racked up fast. When you start look'n at duallies, forget anything you knew out side that market. They're a specialty vehicle that bring good money, but also hold they're value much longer. With the 4 x 4 he's gonna get top buck go'n into snow season and looks like it's got a package too. If you're not plan'n on towing all over the country every time you splash, I wouldn't worry about it being a gasser. All mine were GM with 454's and never had problems. My first dually is still run'n around our town pull'n trailers for a landscaping company. Close to 400,000 miles on it now and Paul still hasn't gone into the motor yet.
Wish I was ready for one. I'd be ask'n where to see it.:sifone:

Scarab KV
12-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Who is the dealer that has those truck if you don't mind telling. We want to go to a 3/4 or 1 ton crew cab truck also since our 2004 1/2 ton suburban I think is pushing it's limits. We have a 2005 Baja 275 and the suburban pulls it fine as long as you take it easy going up hills. We have replaced the shocks which helps the rear from shaging to much. I know we are wanting to much in a low miles good shape truck that's doesn't cost a lot. We would like a white one if we can find one. Why is a DRW worse then a SRW? I would have thought the opposite thinking beater grip with the drw.

If you're running a wider tire on DRW trucks in deep snow, the snow has a tendacy to pile up ahead of the duals. With narrow tires the snow will disperse around the tires.
IMHO it was never a problem. If the snow was deep enough, I was in 4 wheel drive anyway.

MikeyFIN
12-13-2009, 07:01 AM
The 6.0 won't pull hard, but I'd put my big block up against any 01 diesel in stock form.:USA:

I Wouldn´t...
Take on Scanias 620 hp V8 ;)

MikeyFIN
12-13-2009, 07:19 AM
don't be too scared of a well maintained higher mileage diesel. There's 256,000 miles on the 2001 duramax in my driveway.

And FL does require brakes on all axles. It's a retarded law but it is what it is. I have overkill with a triple axle trailer (could run on 2 of the 3). I only have 4 wheels with brakes regardless of the law.

Agree on the first part and not on the last, Id rather have better brakes on the trailer than the truck as the whole train goes straight and doesn´t jackknife in the process.

My choice would be a DIESEL Dodge Ram crew cab dually with a stick shift...just to be safe, them slushomatics never cut it in real hauling.

MikeyFIN
12-13-2009, 07:31 AM

the 4L85E would fit perfect in My 1970 SS 396 El Camino with a hitch but other than that..nothing but problems IMO. Over here Allisons break too but the worst are the Dodges slushomatics which like the 4L80/85E are nothing but TH400/ TF727 with an overdrive and they are designed up to fullsize sedans nothing else so don´t ask too much from them.

If You need a good puller get a Dually pickup with a Diesel and stick shift IMO and learn to drive ( a manual).

MikeyFIN
12-13-2009, 07:41 AM
Regarding powerstrokes.. well they have a so sad a history that I´d never look at them.

Cummins is the only one despite me being a GM guy all the way.

* friends has Rams at 500-700hp ranges, low 12´s in the quarter , daily drivers ;)

fund razor
12-13-2009, 08:15 AM
I think that your ban was too short Mika.
"get a diesel with a stick and learn how to drive" ...nice.

Howabout you stay off of my threads and I'll stay off of yours.

MikeyFIN
12-13-2009, 08:22 AM
Fund not meant to you or anyone personally... What I meant was learn how to drive (a stick shift and a combo in general).
Sorry if it came on strong but being a trucker myself I have a top priority on driving skills and proper equipment.
* I´ve had too many close calls in my life despite trying to keep the safety distances.

fund razor
12-13-2009, 08:37 AM
Fund not meant to you or anyone personally... What I meant was learn how to drive (a stick shift and a combo in general).
Sorry if it came on strong but being a trucker myself I have a top priority on driving skills and proper equipment.

You don't think that the guys on here can drive? Or that we haven't hauled before? Or that we haven't driven stick shifts? My very first tow vehicle when I was a contractor was a stick shift Mika. Heck, my second car was a stick. And my motorcycles too.

Clutches can get a little funny at a ramp.

This thread was about people's preferences. You have shared yours. Thank you.
Thank you also for refraining from launching into yet another of your explanations of how you are the expert, regardless of topic. While I respect your right to your views, I would appreciate respecting them from a greater distance.

This thread was going pretty well and was an interesting conversation. I hope that the conversation continues despite the distraction. I have appreciated everybody's input.

You have me thinkin, Wayne. :)

fund razor
12-13-2009, 08:42 AM

pm sent.
If you end up interested in something over here in my neighborhood... I'd be happy to take a first look for you to confirm that it is as nice in person as on the internet before you drive out.

Not sure about the low miles part, but in addition to the white one on here... Marc (Boatme) has a white dually with a checker flag theme and there are several white ones on autotrader within 100 miles of you.

MikeyFIN
12-13-2009, 09:16 AM
You don't think that the guys on here can drive? Or that we haven't hauled before? Or that we haven't driven stick shifts? My very first tow vehicle when I was a contractor was a stick shift Mika. Heck, my second car was a stick. And my motorcycles too.

Clutches can get a little funny at a ramp.

Let´s just say I´ve observed some of your driving styles.
Maybe I have also been influened by one guy who lived in Germany for a period and listened to him about general driving skills, in Florida Terrible IMO nowadays, not so 15 yrs ago or so.
And definitely not that bad 25 yrs ago in Tri-States ( Cincy area).

If you say clutches can get funny at the ramp who´s to blame ?
I mean they can get funny on uphill start too if you don´t know what you´re doing and so can autos while loosing traction...

Ramp is a Ramp if it´s on a construction or boat ramp. Both are slippery both need attention and skill with a stick and I´ve run dumpers and Bulkers since 1985 at 140K + totals constantly.
You obviously represent the upper echelon of driving skills over there, and I´m not going into how far it stacks up without further knowledge and that wasn´t my intent either.

Over and out.

tstuck
12-13-2009, 10:15 AM
fund razor thanks I'll keep that in mind if I find something. I'll probably wait now until spring and start checking again since winter time it seems like prices go up. Best of luck in finding one or working out a deal.

Scarab KV
12-13-2009, 10:31 AM
That's a sharp look'n truck John. Did the guy ever drive it? Pretty low miles for a dually that old. They usually get the miles racked up fast. When you start look'n at duallies, forget anything you knew out side that market. They're a specialty vehicle that bring good money, but also hold they're value much longer. With the 4 x 4 he's gonna get top buck go'n into snow season and looks like it's got a package too. If you're not plan'n on towing all over the country every time you splash, I wouldn't worry about it being a gasser. All mine were GM with 454's and never had problems. My first dually is still run'n around our town pull'n trailers for a landscaping company. Close to 400,000 miles on it now and Paul still hasn't gone into the motor yet.
Wish I was ready for one. I'd be ask'n where to see it.:sifone:

BTW John...just as a reference. A friend of mine had a 99 with a Monroe package. Pretty much same set up as the Red truck. He paid 40K for it new.
I don't think 14K for this one is a bad asking price for the milage. Did I read earlier that you were gonna be paying cash? Go in there with cash and no trade, you might be able to get him to 13K. I doubt he'd go any lower with the 4x4, condition and milage, but it won't hurt to try. I'd be willing to bet he's getting a lot of activity on it.

BBB725
12-13-2009, 09:12 PM
Hey Fund your post count is 4544, maybe that's a hint:sifone:

Ratickle
12-13-2009, 09:19 PM

So that would be a 454 4x4 ??????

Scarab KV
12-13-2009, 11:32 PM

That seals it. How can you argue with that?

fund razor
12-14-2009, 07:19 AM

I don't think that I would have noticed.
Maybe it is a hint. Another hint would be a 2k price drop. :D

fund razor
12-14-2009, 07:20 AM
That seals it. How can you argue with that? Tea leaves, Tarot cards, post counts. Whatever works. :D

BGIII
12-14-2009, 11:26 AM
Fund,

I would carefully check the GCWR and towing capacity of a 2000 w/ a 454. That looks like a really sweet rig, but IIRC, that generation of GM trucks had towing capacity and GCWR that were rated quite low. It might not affect the legality of your current package, but when you buy a 36, you will need another truck to be legal. Or, when you want to sell the truck down the road, it may be a more difficult sale if the newer SRW and DRW truck have 2-3k# more legal capacity. Just something to think about.

Make sure you check the bottom lips of the doors of whatever you buy if you buy from up here. I have seen a lot of trucks that are rusted to hell.

fund razor
12-14-2009, 12:52 PM
Fund,

I would carefully check the GCWR and towing capacity of a 2000 w/ a 454. That looks like a really sweet rig, but IIRC, that generation of GM trucks had towing capacity and GCWR that were rated quite low. It might not affect the legality of your current package, but when you buy a 36, you will need another truck to be legal. Or, when you want to sell the truck down the road, it may be a more difficult sale if the newer SRW and DRW truck have 2-3k# more legal capacity. Just something to think about.

Make sure you check the bottom lips of the doors of whatever you buy if you buy from up here. I have seen a lot of trucks that are rusted to hell.

Hi Bill.

Great advice. I have a cheat sheet that shows the ratings cross-referenced with the VIN numbers and it was a little lower than the newer trucks. You are exactly right that I would be ok now, but a bigger boat would push me over. I haven't called on that truck since I am not in a huge hurry with the boat in storage right now. There are a lot of trucks out there so I am being careful not to rush. My 1994 1500 GMC has the rust exactly where you describe. :(

FULL FORCE
12-20-2009, 11:27 PM
Fund..... BUY SOUTH!!!!!

I just flew to texas and got this..........

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e41/86lxmustang/03.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e41/86lxmustang/19.jpg

late 99 4x4 7.3 359,000 miles... runs absolutely perfect, trans is perfect, drove 1600 miles home and it looks like BRAND NEW and rides like BRAND NEW, never hit, factory paint...drives like 80,000 miles truck, roads down south do not tear up suspension as bad, and with the zero rust the truck will easily last me 10 yrs the way I take care of them, I also oil all rust areas to prevent... my 03 Explorer is perfect and it see ALOT of salt...

Trucks in Texas are at least 40% cheaper then north......I paid 8900 for mine, up north I could not even find a rust free 99-02 dually under 15,000....and I looked HARD... mileage does not scare me with any diesel unless it looks unkept.....

[B]Someone really liked this truck....

FULL FORCE
12-21-2009, 12:01 AM
Oh yea... stick with diesel no matter what.. thye are easy to make alot of power easily..

And my other opinion... FORD... newer GM was "ok" but one thing that turned me off when looking for my fathers truck... pee pee tie rods and torsion bars...they may ride better but to me a HD truck should have a solid straight axle...

I will own nothing but Ford anyway...

fund razor
12-21-2009, 07:47 AM
Fund..... BUY SOUTH!!!!!

I just flew to texas and got this..........

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e41/86lxmustang/03.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e41/86lxmustang/19.jpg

late 99 4x4 7.3 359,000 miles... runs absolutely perfect, trans is perfect, drove 1600 miles home and it looks like BRAND NEW and rides like BRAND NEW, never hit, factory paint...drives like 80,000 miles truck, roads down south do not tear up suspension as bad, and with the zero rust the truck will easily last me 10 yrs the way I take care of them, I also oil all rust areas to prevent... my 03 Explorer is perfect and it see ALOT of salt...

Trucks in Texas are at least 40% cheaper then north......I paid 8900 for mine, up north I could not even find a rust free 99-02 dually under 15,000....and I looked HARD... mileage does not scare me with any diesel unless it looks unkept.....

[B]Someone really liked this truck....

Wow. I could stop and see Everett and then drive back north.
I have time. I really don't need it until spring. I just thought it would be nice to drive in the winter, depending on what I got.
So... how did you handle the money? Did you take cash, or did you arrange for a transfer? The last out of state purchase I made, I sort of knew the guy from OSO, so I had it set up to make a wire transfer upon my call back to the bank to say that I was buying it.

Knot 4 Me
12-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Oh yea... stick with diesel no matter what.. thye are easy to make alot of power easily..

And my other opinion... FORD... newer GM was "ok" but one thing that turned me off when looking for my fathers truck... pee pee tie rods and torsion bars...they may ride better but to me a HD truck should have a solid straight axle...

I will own nothing but Ford anyway...Truck looks to be in amazing condition for that kind of mileage. Are those front seats original? If that was GM leather you'd be on your third set of seat covers.

FULL FORCE
12-21-2009, 10:22 PM
Wow. I could stop and see Everett and then drive back north.
I have time. I really don't need it until spring. I just thought it would be nice to drive in the winter, depending on what I got.
So... how did you handle the money? Did you take cash, or did you arrange for a transfer? The last out of state purchase I made, I sort of knew the guy from OSO, so I had it set up to make a wire transfer upon my call back to the bank to say that I was buying it.

I paid cash, I try to do only cash if possible, easier to deal with... well wotrth the trip to texas!!!

FULL FORCE
12-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Truck looks to be in amazing condition for that kind of mileage. Are those front seats original? If that was GM leather you'd be on your third set of seat covers.

Yes, all original, someone loved the truck, very well kept, i still cannot believe it has more then 80,000 miles by looking and driving it...

Gotta love FORD!!

Sydwayz
12-22-2009, 01:52 AM
Yes, all original, someone loved the truck, very well kept, i still cannot believe it has more then 80,000 miles by looking and driving it...

Gotta love FORD!!

I don't think that interior is all original, but I could be mistaken. It does look great though. I have a (rare) 2000 Lariat LE PSD CC LB dually and I love my truck.

Fund Razor:
I have bought my last few vehicles in cash. When traveling, try to see if you can find a branch of your bank in the same town as the vehicle, then just pull out the cash and do the transaction in the bank. Or, have a cashiers check written on the BUYER's bank's check, and go to one of his branches and have them cash the check in front of both of you; as such they verify it by calling the bank that you had the check written at.

I took a trip with $27,000 on me in cash to buy my dually on a Sunday. I was a nervous wreck. I won't do that again. I carry a piece now, but still...

FULL FORCE
12-22-2009, 07:05 AM
The interior is original, but they did not use the same leather on this edition as the normal trucks, it is called a "Ball Ranch" never heard of it before, must be a Texas thing, but yes the interior has held up very well, thenagain, I have had 200K on a couple Explorers and the interior was perfect, I am a tad anal taking care of my vehicles though...

fund razor
12-22-2009, 08:57 AM
I don't think that interior is all original, but I could be mistaken. It does look great though. I have a (rare) 2000 Lariat LE PSD CC LB dually and I love my truck.

Fund Razor:
I have bought my last few vehicles in cash. When traveling, try to see if you can find a branch of your bank in the same town as the vehicle, then just pull out the cash and do the transaction in the bank. Or, have a cashiers check written on the BUYER's bank's check, and go to one of his branches and have them cash the check in front of both of you; as such they verify it by calling the bank that you had the check written at.

I took a trip with $27,000 on me in cash to buy my dually on a Sunday. I was a nervous wreck. I won't do that again. I carry a piece now, but still...

I have done the bank check (draft) thing. But it seems that in the last few months they have really changed the fund availability policy at some banks. I took a local bank check to another local bank when I distributed some funds from an estate that I am executor of, and they put a 5 day hold on the bank check. I haven't tried the SAME bank's check... but it just seems they have gone to the extreme on the availability thing.

Last out of state purchase that I made, I didn't take a gun. I took Sunkin. :D

I have also deposited cash directly into a friend's account when buying parts so that there would be no hold, and the bank managed to even screw THAT up.

Tommy Gun
01-03-2010, 01:31 PM
I've been looking for a tow rig for a couple of months now. Just bought this...flying to Sarasota to pick it up on Thursday.

2006 F450 4x4 Dually 6.0 Powerstroke

dykstra
01-03-2010, 03:21 PM
I've been looking for a tow rig for a couple of months now. Just bought this...flying to Sarasota to pick it up on Thursday.

Very cool!!!!

fund razor
01-03-2010, 04:33 PM

Very nice. Congrats. :cheers2:

I have still been looking.

Ratickle
01-03-2010, 04:39 PM

Nice Tommy.....

Monopoly 46
01-03-2010, 06:50 PM
sweet truck

fund razor
01-04-2010, 07:24 AM
Funny think happened over the weekend. After all that back and forth on SUV vs truck and seeing a few trucks that I like... I went back to looking for Excursions.

I found a 2000 Excursion gasser near me with 125,000 miles that seems very clean. Priced right. I could cross the "bigger boat" towing problem bridge later. I haven't even finished my 28 yet.
May go see it today. It's only 20 miles from work.

Sydwayz
01-04-2010, 11:21 AM
I know I beat the 7.3L PSD drum a lot, but if you find a low mileage 7.3L PSD Excursion...

BUY IT!

They are golden jewels of the truck world.

bulletbob
01-10-2010, 08:24 PM
I purchased a 1985 Sub, 4:10 Dana 60 front, 4:10 14bff in rear, 4l80e, np205 and 454 carb. It will pass everything but a gas station. Pulls my 25 Talon with 110 gal. of fuel fine. I only drive it 2k a yr. 8k in hole package and everthing is refurbished. If I had the $ I would buy the Exscursion diesel. Have experience in a couple. The v-10 gas is a beast! If you are going to drive it daily I would go diesel. Good luck and keep us posted.

JAIME
01-19-2010, 01:46 AM

beautiful lookin truck, how many miles and aa price if ya dont mind? Thanks Jaime

top ven
01-19-2010, 01:45 PM
Here is some pics of mine (Ford) & my brother (GMC) tow rigs, i have to get some pics of our new Ford F 550

tstuck
01-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Question for you guys that your rigs match your boat is your truck painted or do they make a wrap that you put on your truck? I thought if we could find a white 3/4 or 1 ton truck it would be nice to someday have the truck match but if painted then the downside would be when you go to sell it who would want it.

top ven
01-19-2010, 03:45 PM
Both of ours trucks are painted, the GMC was bought new so it was white, the Ford was silver so we painted it white

JJ Apache
01-19-2010, 04:24 PM
I too, think the Ex would be better for taking guests with us. John said Chris' rig was great up and down the mountains....:)
And, Funds a big guy, like Chris....

DAREDEVIL
01-19-2010, 07:48 PM
Just found these BAD A$$ truck's !!!!!

fund razor
01-21-2010, 12:33 PM
So, back to reality.... do we like the 6.0 ford diesel or only the 7.3?

MattBMiller
01-21-2010, 06:50 PM
So, back to reality.... do we like the 6.0 ford diesel or only the 7.3?

7.3 is bulletproff, but then again my '06 6.0 never had a single problem and the trans is a little better. I had an '03 6.0 that was bought back so that kind of left a sour taste in my mouth for the 6.0.

FULL FORCE
01-21-2010, 07:23 PM
No mods...... a 6.0 will be fine, if you plan to mod it get a 7.3, but if you must have a 6.0 and mods, do the head bolts and O-rings or you will most likely have issues with head gaskets...

fund razor
01-24-2010, 10:55 AM
Ok, thanks guys. I have bumped up my budget a little and am thinkng about a 05-07 250SD, and there are a lot of them with 6.0 diesels.

FULL FORCE
01-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Ok, thanks guys. I have bumped up my budget a little and am thinkng about a 05-07 250SD, and there are a lot of them with 6.0 diesels.

Buy south..... I looke dat a couple 05's in Ohio and already saw scabbing.... they are cheaper down south too...

after buying my 99 in Texas, I will NEVER buy another truck from north again..

fund razor
01-24-2010, 02:45 PM
I found an 06 F350 SRW crew cab with the 6.0 diesel with 8,000 miles in a color and trim package that works for me up here for about 22k.

BUIZILLA
01-24-2010, 02:46 PM
I found an 06 F350 SRW crew cab with the 6.0 diesel with 8,000 miles in a color and trim package that works for me up here for about 22k. what are you waiting for?

fund razor
01-25-2010, 07:39 AM
I think that it may be a manual trans. They don't say, and a vin check didn't tell me tranny type.

FULL FORCE
01-25-2010, 09:35 AM
I found an 06 F350 SRW crew cab with the 6.0 diesel with 8,000 miles in a color and trim package that works for me up here for about 22k.

Sounds like a deal, run carfax just in case something is hidden...post pics!!

BUIZILLA
01-25-2010, 10:37 AM
I think that it may be a manual trans. They don't say, and a vin check didn't tell me tranny type.call a dealer parts dept with the VIN and they can tell you right away

fund razor
01-25-2010, 11:11 AM
I was going to call the dealer this morning.
My first tow vehicle was a clutch, and I grew to hate it. Even with other manual cars and bikes. Not the same. Want automatic.

RLJ676
01-26-2010, 07:21 PM
If you come to your senses and find a Dmax you like, I can run the vin to get the build sheet and warranty history.:cheers2:

fund razor
01-27-2010, 07:35 AM
If you come to your senses and find a Dmax you like, I can run the vin to get the build sheet and warranty history.:cheers2:

Funny, I was looking at GMCs yesterday. That 06 ford was manual.
My real deadline is spring, so I am not rushed.
They are much more rare than the fords, it seems.

I have driven GMC trucks since 1987, btw. Thanks for the offer.

FULL FORCE
01-27-2010, 07:42 AM
I still cannot get over the IFS on a heavy duty truck....I have had a torsion bar fail, don't want that with a 10,000lb load behind you... I like the SFA for a HD vehicle, guess thats me.. and GM interiors tend to rattle alot...

Besides that they look good and the Duramax is good.., well looked good till 07, I like the older style much better..

fund razor
01-27-2010, 07:53 AM
I still cannot get over the IFS on a heavy duty truck....I have had a torsion bar fail, don't want that with a 10,000lb load behind you... I like the SFA for a HD vehicle, guess thats me.. and GM interiors tend to rattle alot...

I don't think it's just you on the front end.

I have not noticed the rattle on my half ton, but it has had a fairly easy life. Other than the day that I pulled my old 26 footer up the Chicago Skyway bridge with it. :o

FULL FORCE
01-27-2010, 07:59 AM
I don't think it's just you on the front end.

I have not noticed the rattle on my half ton, but it has had a fairly easy life. Other than the day that I pulled my old 26 footer up the Chicago Skyway bridge with it. :o

I am a die hard Ford guy to begin with, but do like the style of the older GMC and Chevy trucks, ride good, I have had 4 SD Fords and loved every one, they all have issues somewhere, I do however think Ford and even Dodge has the HD truck market hands down.

My 99 F350 with 360K on it rides amazing and barely has any interior rattle, drives straight and all...in the end it is all about maintainence....I think GM would do better with a SFA under the new trucks, but the "all new" 2011 still has IFS

Good luck hope you find a good one like I did!! 4 times!

PatriYacht
01-27-2010, 08:06 AM
If you get a GM truck, the 06 and 07 Classic style are the best Gm ever made. The newer ones have the new pollution equipment and get about 2 mpg less. The 06 and 07 also have the 360hp engine which has great torque starting at about idle. And the Allison 6 speed automatic is the best trans out there.I have an 07 and I'm going to keep it until the wheels fall off. It's really that good.

fund razor
01-27-2010, 11:30 AM
I have become smitten with a 2006 GMC Sierra K3500 1 ton, 6.6 Duramax, loaded, 95,000 miles.
$24,000.

fund razor
01-27-2010, 12:04 PM
It has the six speed Allison.

Knot 4 Me
01-27-2010, 12:29 PM
I have become smitten with a 2006 GMC Sierra K3500 1 ton, 6.6 Duramax, loaded, 95,000 miles.
$24,000.Nice truck. LLY or LBZ?

fund razor
01-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Nice truck. LLY or LBZ?

I have no clue. :confused:

Knot 4 Me
01-27-2010, 12:48 PM
I have no clue. :confused:Post the VIN on thedieselplace.com and they can tell you everything about the truck. They offered both generations of that motor (LLY and LBZ) in '06.

fund razor
01-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Ok. Check digit 8 is a 2, which comes back as LLY

fund razor
01-27-2010, 01:15 PM
Ta da.

chrisk
01-27-2010, 01:46 PM
NICE truck

fund razor
01-27-2010, 01:55 PM
Hopefully it's nice in person. Going to see it in a couple of hours.

I could do the job with a 3/4 ton, but the money is about the same... what the heck. I keep trucks for a long time. This will pull the next boat and any buddy's boat too.

Knot 4 Me
01-27-2010, 02:44 PM
Very nice. Like the color!

FULL FORCE
01-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Ta da.

I like hem witht he molded flares....only bad thing is if you catch something it is more then replacing just a flare!!

So far been easy to get used to my dually!

Scarab KV
01-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Hey funds. is that Red GMC dually by you still for sale?

RLJ676
01-27-2010, 09:54 PM
Ta da.

Nice!

My 01 with 165K on it has no rattles, don't listen to that nonsense.:USA:

The GMT800's are very solid trucks, I really like mine (other than the big block gas mileage). Any of those pre-emissions trucks will be great for you, great power/allison/mileage combo. Way better than the 6.0's of that era.

If you PM me the vin, I'll get the build sheet and warranty history for you.:cheers2:

RLJ676
01-27-2010, 09:57 PM

Besides that they look good and the Duramax is good.., well looked good till 07, I like the older style much better..

A lot of people who run fleets have no problem with IFS on their heavy duties. Better ride, less bump steer, and no more replacement of parts. Everything I hear about Dodge and Ford says they have front end part replacements just as often.

Now, when you start lifting them and running over 35's, I'd say SFA for sure.

fund razor
01-27-2010, 10:30 PM
Hey funds. is that Red GMC dually by you still for sale?
I don't think so. But I stopped searching gassers a while back.

I'll pm you the dealership info.

fund razor
01-28-2010, 07:33 PM
Thank you everyone who made suggestions. I ended up buying the 2006 GMC 3500 dually, 6.6 Duramax, leather, XLT, bose, onstar, brake controller, 95,000 miles.

It's in my driveway now. Just drove it 2.5 hours and boy, did people get the phuck out of my way. :D :D

fund razor
01-28-2010, 07:44 PM
It's the same color as my 1/2 ton GMC. Also a Sierra.
It's a fleet. :D

RLJ676
01-28-2010, 08:19 PM
Thank you everyone who made suggestions. I ended up buying the 2006 GMC 3500 dually, 6.6 Duramax, leather, XLT, bose, onstar, brake controller, 95,000 miles.

It's in my driveway now. Just drove it 2.5 hours and boy, did people get the phuck out of my way. :D :D

Nice choice!:USA:

fund razor
01-28-2010, 08:34 PM
Can you steal me an owner's manual from work? :D :D

DollaBill
01-28-2010, 08:39 PM

good choice

fund razor
01-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Bought some diesel and headed up through hickville Ohio on Rt 68.

FULL FORCE
01-28-2010, 09:15 PM
Congrats!! Duallys rock!!

fund razor
01-28-2010, 09:19 PM
Thanks. I like it. No buyer's remorse. Just wish that it was warmer so I could wash this dam salt off. :(

FULL FORCE
01-28-2010, 09:21 PM
I hear ya, It kills me to drive mine in this chit.... my 99 is SPOTLESS and I will be taking the best care of it I can!!

fund razor
01-28-2010, 09:26 PM
I see myself out there with a bucket as the moment that it hits 30. :D

FULL FORCE
01-28-2010, 09:31 PM
I see myself out there with a bucket as the moment that it hits 30. :D

If that thing has zero rust right now.... I suggest my "rust prevent plan"

Take a Saturday and get the truck inside warm to wash it very good, all cracks and seams spotless... then wax everyything door jambs and all...

Then use a oil pumper and run oil into every seam on the truck, bed wells, door lips.... everything...

I do all my cars that way for years and none have had rust issues commonly found in Ohio, my 03 Explorer has/had ZERO rust, but now that it was car jacked and stolen that was a waste of my time to keep up on it so good!!

I clean my trucks as much as I can, it is alot of work but pays off in the long run!!!

fund razor
01-28-2010, 09:54 PM
You sound as anal retentive as me, Tim.

FULL FORCE
01-28-2010, 09:56 PM
You sound as anal retentive as me, Tim.

Yes, very much so!!

Hard to keep a truck nice in Ohio, I grew up in a body shop and learned alot about keeping things nice!!

I clean my vehicles every chance I get!

fund razor
01-28-2010, 09:59 PM
Sierra World in northern Ohio. 2006 1 ton on left, 1994 1/2 ton on right.

Temp: 12 degrees and falling.

RLJ676
01-28-2010, 10:42 PM
Rust free trucks in MI are rare, and pricey!

Mine's from Fl, so it's good for now. Next fall I'm gonna go with this wax and oil routine to keep it this way, good plan.

Fund, time to just turn up the torsion bars a little to level her out and get a proper truck stance.:driving:

FULL FORCE
01-28-2010, 10:47 PM
Rust free trucks in MI are rare, and pricey!

Mine's from Fl, so it's good for now. Next fall I'm gonna go with this wax and oil routine to keep it this way, good plan.

Yea, got mine in Texas.....99 with 360,000 on it, not repainted either!!

amazing how nice they stay down south!

Oh yea... 8900.00 cash.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e41/86lxmustang/IMG00007-20091217-1159.jpg

FULL FORCE
01-28-2010, 10:49 PM
Fund, time to just turn up the torsion bars a little to level her out and get a proper truck stance.:driving:

Is that safe???

When i had a off road truck years ago, I was told not to jack them to raise it, puts more stress on them...????

I did have one fail in the past and was told it was from jacking it up....(Nissan P/U)

Buoy
01-28-2010, 11:09 PM
Congrats on the new truck John, looks sharp (although not my color).

You'll love having the dually. I loved mine, probably have another some day. And yes, people will get the hell out of your way when they see you coming.

FULL FORCE
01-28-2010, 11:11 PM
And yes, people will get the hell out of your way when they see you coming.

Thats the best part!!:driving:

fund razor
01-29-2010, 07:21 AM
Congrats on the new truck John, looks sharp (although not my color).

You'll love having the dually. I loved mine, probably have another some day. And yes, people will get the hell out of your way when they see you coming.
Thanks Tim. I guess red is my truck color. This is the third red GMC truck since 1986. Although it's burgundy. First diesel. Getting used to that quickly. Boy, 1 ton diesel trucks don't "coast" do they? :)

FULL FORCE
01-29-2010, 07:25 AM
Boy, 1 ton diesel trucks don't "coast" do they? :)

Nope!!!

Now, get an exhaust, gauges and a programmer...you will NEVER buy another gas truck...... I gaurantee it!

fund razor
01-29-2010, 07:36 AM
Nope!!!

Now, get an exhaust, gauges and a programmer...you will NEVER buy another gas truck...... I gaurantee it!

The nice thing about this group is that no matter what you buy.... we can find a way for you to spend much more money on it. :D

FULL FORCE
01-29-2010, 07:49 AM
The nice thing about this group is that no matter what you buy.... we can find a way for you to spend much more money on it. :D

Yea, I know, I drove mine back from texas.... and did not even get home before buying a programmer!!

fund razor
01-29-2010, 08:23 AM
I just took it up to Lowe's for furnace filters. Temp: 4 degrees.

It didn't like 4 degrees very much, for the first few minutes.
I let it ilde a while before I pulled out.

fund razor
01-29-2010, 08:28 AM
I wonder if I can get taller tires on the same rims.

fund razor
01-29-2010, 08:40 AM
The Sierra badge on the tailgate droops. What's the best way to remove and re-glue it so that it doesn't droop? Drives me nuts.

insanity
01-29-2010, 09:40 AM
Thanks. I like it. No buyer's remorse. Just wish that it was warmer so I could wash this dam salt off. :(

Just run it through the touchless automatic...oh wait...:D

fund razor
01-29-2010, 10:50 AM
Just run it through the touchless automatic...oh wait...:D

That could be the proper badge removal procedure though. :D

Sean H
01-29-2010, 11:39 AM
I just took it up to Lowe's for furnace filters. Temp: 4 degrees.

It didn't like 4 degrees very much, for the first few minutes.
I let it ilde a while before I pulled out.

If you are going to leave it out in those temps, I would plug it in (or get a plug in heater installed). Helps dramatically.

fund razor
01-29-2010, 12:32 PM
I have been reading up on the 6600 duramax. Has a 1000 watt grid heater in the intake to help with smokey idle in the first few minutes of cold operation, triggered by the engine controller.

Quinlan
01-29-2010, 12:41 PM
I like my 07 Classic CC long bed SRW. Pulls the CIG very good. But its in the warm shop til this chit melts!!
I am driving the ML 500 and it handles it great.

FULL FORCE
01-29-2010, 06:09 PM
If you are going to leave it out in those temps, I would plug it in (or get a plug in heater installed). Helps dramatically.

Yea, Fund.... plug it in or get a block heater if it does not have it, i always plug mine in under 40 degrees, it will start oj not plugged in but I can't see the cold oil being good on a diesel startup, always let a diesel run for 10-15 min before driving if you can, helps them live long!!!

As far as the badge...heat gun it off and use 3M two sided tape and stick it back on!

RichL
01-29-2010, 08:42 PM

Very nice. Congrats.

Same color as the 99 1500 sittin in my driveway.

fund razor
01-30-2010, 07:53 AM
Yea, Fund.... plug it in or get a block heater if it does not have it, i always plug mine in under 40 degrees, it will start oj not plugged in but I can't see the cold oil being good on a diesel startup, always let a diesel run for 10-15 min before driving if you can, helps them live long!!!

As far as the badge...heat gun it off and use 3M two sided tape and stick it back on!
I'm going to look close for a heater plug today. I am taking it up to a buddy with a nearby shop and have him check all the fluids, do an oil change, and let the truck come up to room temp. I think it has summer duty washer fluid frozen in the line. No blue juice happening.

In the meantime, I have been good about letting it idle and not trying to just take off.

FULL FORCE
01-30-2010, 10:14 AM
Don't forget to change transefer case fluid!!

I was doing maintainence on mine last night, i usually change all fluids, I think my transfer case had original transfer case fluid with 360K it was black! looks good now!!

rear diff will be next service...

Some people just drive trucks and never service those kinds of things...

Buoy
01-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Thanks Tim. I guess red is my truck color. This is the third red GMC truck since 1986. Although it's burgundy. First diesel. Getting used to that quickly. Boy, 1 ton diesel trucks don't "coast" do they? :)

I'm on my 4th if you still consider the Avalanche a truck, and it is a half ton. (hauled half a cord of firewood today, so I still consider it a truck).
'94 ext. cab 1500 Silverado. Blue over Silver 2wd
2000 ext. cab 3500 GMC, All white, 4wd
'95 standard cab 1500 Silverado, Burgundy, 2wd (I hated the color, but it was a great truck!)
and now the Av.

All mine have been gasser's, I don't know anything about diesels (not that I know that much about gasser's either).

RLJ676
01-30-2010, 07:44 PM
Is that safe???

When i had a off road truck years ago, I was told not to jack them to raise it, puts more stress on them...????

I did have one fail in the past and was told it was from jacking it up....(Nissan P/U)

Nah, it's no additional stress. It just re-indexes them which lifts it. It doesn't add additional torque on them or anything. If you go up too high you lose some droop which can affect ride, but a little shouldn't hurt the ride at all. With the heavy diesel powertrain they can droop a little making the nose low look exaggerated.

fund razor
01-31-2010, 10:25 AM
I'm on my 4th if you still consider the Avalanche a truck, and it is a half ton. (hauled half a cord of firewood today, so I still consider it a truck).
'94 ext. cab 1500 Silverado. Blue over Silver 2wd
2000 ext. cab 3500 GMC, All white, 4wd
'95 standard cab 1500 Silverado, Burgundy, 2wd (I hated the color, but it was a great truck!)
and now the Av.

All mine have been gasser's, I don't know anything about diesels (not that I know that much about gasser's either).

I consider an Avalance a smallish SUV.
But two days with a 1 ton changes you. :D
(just screwing with you Tim.) :D

I have decided to sell my 1/2 ton. The driveway is too crowded. It will be a great deal for somebody. I have maintenance records going back to 1997. Brakes including new brake lines last year, a new set of tires last fall, a new water pump and a flush and fill two weeks ago. Near perfect interior. Hard tonneau matches the truck. Extended cab. 5.0 gas, 125k miles. The tailgate hinge needs repair on one side. Runs great. Wish I knew somebody that needed a decent half ton. Always been a great truck, or I wouldn't have replaced it essentially the same truck, just bigger. Heck. Maybe I should keep it and park it on the street. I could jump in that truck and drive to Tim's house non-stop. No worries.

Chris
01-31-2010, 11:20 AM
The Sierra badge on the tailgate droops. What's the best way to remove and re-glue it so that it doesn't droop? Drives me nuts.

Nice looking truck. Just always remember, diesels love maintenance.

Go find a local diesel repair shop and buy a couple cases of Stanadyne fuel additive. Part #38565. Put one in and also a quart of ATF with every fillup and your engine will ove you for it. You're replacing all the goodies the EPA pulled out.

On the badge, go to an auto body supply- they'll have this 3M double-sided adhesive tape. It's less than 1/16" thick and it's made for affixing emblems to cars. It's about 3/8" wide so you'll have to do it in parallel strips then trim back with a razor. It's unbelievably sticky and that makes it a mildly frustrating task.

BUIZILLA
01-31-2010, 11:25 AM
Fund... just take the Sierra badge off, and leave it off... use lighter fluid to clean off the glue..

tailgate looks cleaner.. :driving:

Dmax's LOVE Stanadyne mouse milk... just this week I sold 2 55 gal drums, 25 5 gal pails, 25 cases of 1/2 gallons, 45 cases of pints... that's a LOT of go juice..

use a half pint to 30 gal each fillup... using a whole pint is kinda wasteful, especially if the ATF is used.. just IMO

fund razor
01-31-2010, 11:33 AM
Seriously... pour a quart of automatic transmission fluid into the diesel tank with every fill up???

fund razor
01-31-2010, 11:36 AM
Should I start with the ATF today, even if I can't get the Stanadyne for a few days?

BUIZILLA
01-31-2010, 11:54 AM
use one or the other right now, but DO something..

fund razor
01-31-2010, 12:00 PM
Ok. Thanks. I've got three quarters of a tank. I'll pour in a quart of ATF and top it off.

fund razor
01-31-2010, 12:11 PM
Hmm. Some folks caution against it.

"Just a warning on using ATF in your diesel fuel. The modern day ATF's have friction modifiers that are not made to burn. ATF can also lead to premature failure of the injection system. Using ATF is from the old days with mechanical injection systems and ATF didn't have the additives and modifiers like todays ATF."

Read more: http://www.dieselbombers.com/alternative-fuels-additives-fluids/8686-adding-atf-my-diesel-fuel.html#ixzz0eCtLH6j0

fund razor
01-31-2010, 12:21 PM
What about "Diesel 9-1-1?"

fund razor
01-31-2010, 12:22 PM
I can get Diesel 9-1-1 at a nearby Tractor Supply.

Expensive Date
01-31-2010, 12:35 PM
What about "Diesel 9-1-1?"

NO!!!!!! That is only for when it already is jelled.All I use is anti Gel from Nov 15 thru March 15.In both the GMC and the International never had a problem.

Knot 4 Me
01-31-2010, 12:39 PM
I would not run ATF in a Dmax. Just run a good additive. Plenty of good info on www.dieselplace.com Make sure to drain and refill both diffs. If they have never been done, they are most likely low. GM is notorious for underfilling them. Also make sure to change the external, spin-on tranny filter often. Here's a couple great places to get parts and service items for these trucks:

www.kennedydiesel.com
www.merchant-automotive.com

Stanadyne and Pimrose is what I used to use for additives. Power Service is readily available but not as good a quality an additive.

fund razor
01-31-2010, 12:56 PM
Ok.

fund razor
01-31-2010, 12:58 PM
I can get Power Service in the neighborhood. Would that be a good start?

fund razor
01-31-2010, 01:15 PM
As opposed to nothing?

fund razor
01-31-2010, 02:56 PM
I ended up using an STP diesel product today. I'll get some stanadyne asap.

Expensive Date
01-31-2010, 03:02 PM
Fund you are going nuts for nothing.The thing has probably been driven without aditives for four years one more week won't hurt.Just run anti-gel and do a full service engine oil, trans, diff ,coolant etc.You should be fine.

fund razor
01-31-2010, 03:15 PM
That's cool. Thanks Tim.

I did oil, coolant and power steering yesterday. (And did a quick repair to a broken washer fluid line.) I may sneak the differentials in today. I was just concerned about gelling mostly... because it has been so freaking cold and it lived most of its live in Tennesee. That STP stuff said it serves as an anti-gel.

I'll do a trans filter asap too.

FULL FORCE
01-31-2010, 07:23 PM
I have never had a gelling issue, am I lucky? no idea... none of my friends either..we all have diesels..

BUIZILLA
01-31-2010, 07:43 PM
Fund... type Fa ATF... don't panic... stick with the Stanadyne... 1/2 pint to 30 gal... i've been doing this diesel injection gig for about 30 years... if you get #1 or winter diesel, you need lubrication... the calibration fluid we use in our common rail test stands kinda mirrors the Fa, but without the red dye.. common rail is ultra high pressure like hyd systems so lubrication is paramount.. we test up to 2,000 bar, which is 28,400 #'s of pressure..

fund razor
01-31-2010, 07:56 PM
Fund... type Fa ATF... don't panic... stick with the Stanadyne... 1/2 pint to 30 gal... i've been doing this diesel injection gig for about 30 years... if you get #1 or winter diesel, you need lubrication... the calibration fluid we use in our common rail test stands kinda mirrors the Fa, but without the red dye.. common rail is ultra high pressure like hyd systems so lubrication is paramount.. we test up to 2,000 bar, which is 28,400 #'s of pressure..

So type Fa ATF will burn ok?

No panic. Just my first diesel. Don't want to F anything up.
I thought maybe the ATF advice was old school and something changed or something.

FULL FORCE
01-31-2010, 08:15 PM
Poking around at trucks like I always do... this is where I got mine...

What a deal!!

http://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/1560665456.html

I Ohio this would be a 21,000.00 truck...

sledge
02-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Awesome truck Fund! Does it have steering wheel controls and the data center? Curious what it shows for MPG if so. My $.02 for protection: your favorite brand of corrosion blocker and marine-grade vinyl/rubber protectant. Might also consider some mud flaps for winter use if they'll reduce the slush kicked up?

Birdog
02-01-2010, 11:09 AM
That's cool. Thanks Tim.

I did oil, coolant and power steering yesterday. (And did a quick repair to a broken washer fluid line.) I may sneak the differentials in today. I was just concerned about gelling mostly... because it has been so freaking cold and it lived most of its live in Tennesee. That STP stuff said it serves as an anti-gel.

I'll do a trans filter asap too.

Up there, All the truck stops have anti-gel in the fuel. They dont down here, I found out the hard way last Jan when I came up there with 1/2 tank of Southern fuel..:)

fund razor
02-01-2010, 12:06 PM
Awesome truck Fund! Does it have steering wheel controls and the data center? Curious what it shows for MPG if so. My $.02 for protection: your favorite brand of corrosion blocker and marine-grade vinyl/rubber protectant. Might also consider some mud flaps for winter use if they'll reduce the slush kicked up?

Thanks. Funny you ask. I discovered the data center and the steering wheel controls over the weekend and drove the truck to work today so that I could play with them.

mpg (no drafting, cruise engaged) at:
65 highway was 18.0
70 highway was 17.4
78 highway was 16.5
hills and acceleration had much less impact on mpg than my gassers. Even if I had just reset the mpg, it barely changed when passing.

Mud flaps are a good idea.

I am going to do both differentials today.

fund razor
02-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Up there, All the truck stops have anti-gel in the fuel. They dont down here, I found out the hard way last Jan when I came up there with 1/2 tank of Southern fuel..:)

This was a tenn. truck so I wasn't sure where they would be with that.
I have run a tank through it now... so no question that the old gas is pretty much out.

BUIZILLA
02-01-2010, 09:57 PM
... so no question that the old gas is pretty much out. it's not gas... :smash: :sifone:

fund razor
02-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Ah crap. You are the second person to bust me on that today. :D

Changed the front and rear diff, plus the transfer case today. Synthetic on the diffs and ATF in the transfer case. It seemed like they were not done at 50,000 miles. I am glad that I jumped right on that. Thanks for the advice guys.
So far: Oil change, diesel treatment, power steering fluid top off, washer fluid line repair, front diff, rear diff, transfer case, and double check winterization.
Friday I will have them flush the tranny. Saturday I am having the brakes checked. Then I should be good for now... as far as preventative catch ups go. The DIC says that the fuel filter is at 25% remaining. I'd like to have that changed too.

fund razor
02-01-2010, 10:29 PM
And I washed the salt off. :D

PatriYacht
02-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Congrats on the new truck John. You'll like it and it will certainly do the job.

P.S. I've had diesels for 7 years now and I've never put any kind of fuel additive in one yet. No problems. Make sure you change the fuel filter though.

fund razor
02-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Congrats on the new truck John. You'll like it and it will certainly do the job.

P.S. I've had diesels for 7 years now and I've never put any kind of fuel additive in one yet. No problems. Make sure you change the fuel filter though.

Thanks Ian. Your advice was a factor in my decision. I'll get that fuel filter taken care of before the week is over.

thedonz
02-02-2010, 03:23 PM
Fund want some 22.5 for your rig ?

fund razor
02-02-2010, 04:15 PM
as in 22.5 inch diamter rims?

Not so sure. Kind of an old school person. What do they look like?

Meanwhile... looks like I lost the lower coolant hose. Dripping a little from under there and that hose looks suspicious. Bummer. But I was going to have it flushed and filled anyway.

DollaBill
02-02-2010, 04:22 PM
as in 22.5 inch diamter rims?

Not so sure. Kind of an old school person. What do they look like?

Meanwhile... looks like I lost the lower coolant hose. Dripping a little from under there and that hose looks suspicious. Bummer. But I was going to have it flushed and filled anyway.

All the cool kids are doing it

fund razor
02-02-2010, 04:24 PM

It would just cause a need for bigger brakes. I am already involved with two blank check engine builds for the boat. :)

Chris
02-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Buizilla is who turned me on to the additive tips. I was replacing sticking injectors right and left. I called him looking for competitive pricing. He turned me on to that trick and in 500 miles the sticking injectors all went away. At $2400 an engine just in parts, I'd say it was a good tip.

If Jim told me to piss in the tank, I'd buy a nice step stool.

Knot 4 Me
02-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Ah crap. You are the second person to bust me on that today. :D

Changed the front and rear diff, plus the transfer case today. Synthetic on the diffs and ATF in the transfer case. It seemed like they were not done at 50,000 miles. I am glad that I jumped right on that. Thanks for the advice guys.
So far: Oil change, diesel treatment, power steering fluid top off, washer fluid line repair, front diff, rear diff, transfer case, and double check winterization.
Friday I will have them flush the tranny. Saturday I am having the brakes checked. Then I should be good for now... as far as preventative catch ups go. The DIC says that the fuel filter is at 25% remaining. I'd like to have that changed too.How are they flushing the tranny? Pretty sure you cannot hook up those flushing machines they use on an Allison. Most guys unhook the output tranny cooler line and let the pump evacuate the old fluid. Obviously you have to be careful using this method not to run the tranny dry. You start it up and let it pump out so many quarts then shut down, add some ATF, restart, pump some more, repeat until fluid comes out clean. Supposedly the filter in the pan on the valve body never needs replaced unless you are doing a rebuild. At 95K I personally would pull the pan to inspect how much material is in the bottom and clean it. And if you have the pan off, why not change the internal filter?

Bill
02-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Fund you are going nuts for nothing.The thing has probably been driven without aditives for four years one more week won't hurt.Just run anti-gel and do a full service engine oil, trans, diff ,coolant etc.You should be fine.

EXACTLY!!!!!!! Did you get the D-max manual??? Read what it says about additives!!!!!

Bill
02-02-2010, 06:58 PM

Common, very common! Junk GM tranny cooler line hoses, the piss ass poor crimps go bad! I have been through several sets and I only have 30K on my 06!!! There is a TSB on them...

fund razor
02-02-2010, 08:33 PM
Buizilla is who turned me on to the additive tips. I was replacing sticking injectors right and left. I called him looking for competitive pricing. He turned me on to that trick and in 500 miles the sticking injectors all went away. At $2400 an engine just in parts, I'd say it was a good tip.

If Jim told me to piss in the tank, I'd buy a nice step stool.

Gotcha. :D

fund razor
02-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Common, very common! Junk GM tranny cooler line hoses, the piss ass poor crimps go bad! I have been through several sets and I only have 30K on my 06!!! There is a TSB on them...

That's good to know. This appears to be the lower radiator hose, this time.

For the record.... my Mercedes 560sl tranny cooler lines were crap too. :driving: