PDA

View Full Version : OT, Fiberglass Patio question

Fast Shafts
11-06-2009, 04:50 PM
I'm building a new deck (Patio) for my girlfriend, instead of using Trex decking, I suggested fiberglass. A fiberglass deck would allow her to have dry storage underneath the deck and it could be painted to match her house. My question is: How many ounce fiberglass cloth should I use? Also, would polyester resin be OK since I don't need the strength of epoxy? I'm thinking of wetting out the wood first and then laying down the cloth when the resin gets tacky. Thanks in advance!!
Bob

Trim'd Up
11-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Are you planning on glassing over plywood? Hows are you going to finish it? Why not use trex or similar and put a second "roof" under the deck. You can use metal barn roofing fairly inexpensivly. I have built several that way.

Fast Shafts
11-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Trim,
Trex is expensive, and it "stains". Alot of people use fiberglass decks in this area, this also protects the wood framing underneath. The last step would be to glass over plywood. Just not sure what ounce cloth to use.

glassdave
11-06-2009, 08:36 PM
i would think ounce an a half mat if you are not going to get into a tech weave like 1808 or something like that and if its not a structural component. if you need a tighter finish throw a layer of three or four ounce finish cloth on last. Poly's fine but vinyl would be a bit better for not a whole lot more $$$. Make sure the last coat of whatever you put on has a waxing agent in it.

Fast Shafts
11-07-2009, 12:37 AM
Thanks Dave, that is what I was looking for!!!
Bob

glassdave
11-07-2009, 01:41 AM
have you thought about gel coating instead of paint? Would be more durable and you can roll in a light non skid. Just a thought . . .

phragle
11-07-2009, 02:32 AM
depending on the size of the deck...I just thought of something, proving you can find a large area of smooth concrete.. will gelcoat stick to shrinkwrap? make a large wooden square, staple on the shrinkwrap, shrink it carefully so you get a fairly tight surface with no wrinkles and use that as a mold, glass in some 1/2" ply as a coring, that might hold up a little better than just layin a couple layers of clothe over a plywood deck.

Offshore Ginger
11-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Trim,
Trex is expensive, and it "stains". Alot of people use fiberglass decks in this area, this also protects the wood framing underneath. The last step would be to glass over plywood. Just not sure what ounce cloth to use.10 / oz cheese cloth would be much better then ounce and a half and lay up so nice and twice as smooth .

Ted
11-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Bet you don't get much print-through from cheese cloth :sifone:

Ratickle
11-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Buy the aluminum decking that's approved for living space underneath and forget about it forever. About $7 a square foot, water channels built in, sweet stuff.....

MarylandMark
11-09-2009, 09:33 PM
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=26145-1115-1301B&lpage=none

Tuftex Polycarb, 12' x 26", Clear Polycarbonate Panel, Virtually Unbreakable, 20 Times Stronger Than 5 OZ Fiberglass, 100% UV Protection & Hail Resistant, Super Strong Yet Flexible, Lifetime Limited Warranty, Available In Other Colors & Lengths

You may be on to some thing, however I think if this was the best way, wouldn't someone would be doing it this way by now?