PDA

View Full Version : Gear Lube Question

Geronimo36
11-02-2009, 02:50 PM
So I was bored and got to thinking.....(never a good thing):ack2:

I've been using Amsoil Marine Gearlube since 2007 with excellent results. Amsoil makes other Gearlube products that are engineered for "Extreme Pressure" (EP) 75/140 which they brand "Severe Gear SVO".

So I sent an email to the tech department today, asking if it's ok to mix the marine lube with the Severe Gear so I could gain some of the benefit from using the Severe Gear. He suggested that I switch over to the high end Severe Gear since I'm looking for EP protection.

Then I wrote back and told him the reason I use the marine lube with its ability to mix 10% with water and wanted to realize the benefit of both the EP and possible water mix.

He wrote me back and said; "Frank, I see your point. Go ahead and mix the two. All our gearlubes can be mixed together and what you suggest is probably best."

I know a lot of guys have their own home brews etc but I'm not interested in that... My thinking is it would net me a mix with half the capabilities of the full-blown severe gear and 5% water mix.

So the main question is, would you do it?:lurk5:

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/svo.aspx
AMSOIL SEVERE GEARŪ Synthetic Extreme Pressure (EP) Lubricants are premium grade gear oils specifically engineered for maximum performance in severe duty applications. These state-of-the-art AMSOIL formulations feature an exclusive blend of high viscosity, shear stable synthetic base oils and an extra treatment of high-performance additives. AMSOIL SEVERE GEARŪ Synthetic EP Lubricants maintain their viscosity for long-lasting protection against metal-to-metal contact. The proprietary AMSOIL additives form an iron-sulfide barrier coating on gear surfaces, providing the ultimate line of defense against wear, pitting and scoring. AMSOIL SEVERE GEARŪ lubricants help prevent “thermal runaway” — a phenomenon caused by a lubricant’s inability to control friction and increased heat under high-stress conditions. By controlling thermal runaway, AMSOIL SEVERE GEARŪ Synthetic EP Lubricants inhibit rapid lubricant degradation and component damage. Equipment runs better and lasts longer with AMSOIL SEVERE GEARŪ Synthetic EP Lubricants.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/agm.aspx
AMSOIL Universal Synthetic Marine Gear Lube is an exclusive AMSOIL formulation of synthetic base oils and high performance additives that address the specific concerns of marine applications. It is extreme pressure (EP) additive fortified for superior protection of fast accelerating, high torque/horsepower engines. It protects against shock loading from cavitation of heavily loaded engines.

AMSOIL Universal Synthetic Marine Gear Lube is water resistant. It maintains extreme pressure protection even when contaminated with as much as 10% water. It promotes longer seal life, preventing excessive water leakage. AMSOIL Universal Synthetic Marine Gear Lube protects against rust and is compatible with aluminum, copper and brass alloys.

MOBILEMERCMAN
11-02-2009, 02:55 PM
If you check your fluid regularly cause it is on a trailer and easy I would say yes. If your a once a year guy I would say no.

Geronimo36
11-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks Jim, I'm a 10 hour guy! :)

jeffswav
11-28-2009, 08:45 PM
Thats funny you ask this question. I have been using Amsoil for the last 4 years (I am set up as a dealer). I have been using the Marine Gear Lube, I called the tech line and ask for there recomedation. He thinks I am using the correct fluid. I then told him how some people on the boat forums were using the Servere Gear. He said I could use either one since my boat is not left in the water. I had not thought about mixing the two. I ask them why they do not make a Marine Servere gear and he did not know why. It would be great if they did. Let us know how your experiment works.

MacGyver
11-28-2009, 09:00 PM
I winterized this weekend and thought about using Amsoil in the drive this year.

Which is better... Merc HP gear lube, or Amsoil Marine gear lube?

Geronimo36
11-28-2009, 11:52 PM
I've never had an issue with either one MacGyver. I started using the Amsoil because that's the preferred oil for the Bmax.

HiZ
12-09-2009, 03:23 PM
I'm sticking with the Merc Lubes
Specific additives designed for conditions that I am subjecting the drive to
However, in an aftermarket or nonOEM set up that involves additional stress
Amsoil offers some great options
I would stick with a fluid that can emulsify

07DominatorSS
12-09-2009, 04:53 PM
Thats funny you ask this question. I have been using Amsoil for the last 4 years (I am set up as a dealer). I have been using the Marine Gear Lube, I called the tech line and ask for there recomedation. He thinks I am using the correct fluid. I then told him how some people on the boat forums were using the Servere Gear. He said I could use either one since my boat is not left in the water. I had not thought about mixing the two. I ask them why they do not make a Marine Servere gear and he did not know why. It would be great if they did. Let us know how your experiment works.

The Marine Gearlube is GL-4 and the Severe Gear is GL-5. The GL-4 has a little less sulphur in it, which can be a little harsh on soft yellow metals, which are typically used in drives. A lot of guys still use the Severe Gear 75w-90(SVG), because they used to use the Series 2000 (TGR) Gearlube, which is the direct replacement, and before the marine gearlube was available.

07DominatorSS
12-09-2009, 04:56 PM
I winterized this weekend and thought about using Amsoil in the drive this year.

Which is better... Merc HP gear lube, or Amsoil Marine gear lube?

You must remember that Merc doesn't make their gearlube, they bid it out to oil blenders, which in turn will use the "cheapest" ingredients they can to make the product meet minimum specs. AMSOIL uses the best ingredients they can get their hands on, makes their products to the best of their ability, which exceeds minimum requirements by a long shot.

ROGUE
12-09-2009, 05:28 PM
[QUOTE=07DominatorSS;387405]The GL-4 has a little less sulphur in it, which can be a little harsh on soft yellow metals, which are typically used in drives. QUOTE]
Really? the only soft yellow metal in my bravos are the shift shaft bushings.

07DominatorSS
12-09-2009, 06:36 PM
[QUOTE=07DominatorSS;387405]The GL-4 has a little less sulphur in it, which can be a little harsh on soft yellow metals, which are typically used in drives. QUOTE]
Really? the only soft yellow metal in my bravos are the shift shaft bushings.

I'm not sure on all components of all drives. But I do believe a lot of them use yellow metals, and sulfur can have adverse effects if the gear lube gets to a certain temperature.

imco offshore
12-09-2009, 07:43 PM
i agree with jim we change the race boats gear lube after every race,,,,with testing at home,,practice and the race = about 10 hours

Geronimo36
12-11-2009, 04:56 PM
I'm not sure on all components of all drives. But I do believe a lot of them use yellow metals, and sulfur can have adverse effects if the gear lube gets to a certain temperature.

What does yellow metal refer to? Copper?

07DominatorSS
12-11-2009, 07:10 PM
What does yellow metal refer to? Copper?

Mainly bearings, and yes typically copper. But when gearlube gets to 230 degrees or higher, it can have a very nasty effect on yellow metals, causing them to pit and deteriorate. But when using a high quality synthetic, such as the AMSOIL, it will help keep those temps down.

KYElimEagle
01-15-2010, 07:45 AM
Interesting, I have been using the Amsoil Marine since my Bravo's were rebuilt. Last time the old gear lube looked like new except some very very fine yellow particles. I wasn't sure if I was seeing something or not so I shined a flashlight as the fluid drained out and the particles reflected light. I think I definitely need some more sulfur, but I'm not going to waste the nearly 5 gallons of oil I have.

JRalston
04-26-2010, 09:16 PM
How many quarts will a bravo 1 x hold?

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-26-2010, 09:49 PM
approx 3 quarts plus reservoir

JRalston
04-26-2010, 10:45 PM
Thanks guys. while im at it what is the procedure for replacing the fuel filter and fuel\water separator?