PDA

View Full Version : GM 6.0L water pump

Knot 4 Me
11-02-2009, 09:50 AM
My 2006 Denali XL is suffering from what appears to be a common problem with the 6.0L motor - leaking water pump. Stealer wants $550 - $600 to replace. Looks like the pump is about $100. I've replaced many a water pump back in the day on small block chevys but never on these newer motors. Any reason not to tackle this repair myself? For those familiar with these motors, is there anything I need to be aware of during the swap (thread sealant, anti-seize, loc-tite, torque settings, etc.)? Thanks.

Chris
11-02-2009, 09:52 AM
You'll probably need a couple special tools. A belt tool and I believe one to release the hose ends- either heater hoses or the bypass. Can't remember which.

Magic Medicine
11-02-2009, 01:08 PM
the books call for about 2 hours in labor, sounds like someone is making some coin if they are charging you $600

Whats the dealers hourly rate?

Ted
11-02-2009, 02:49 PM
It is a pretty straightforward repair, and you will likely find it is just the gaskets leaking, they rarely leak from the pump seal itself.

Knot 4 Me
11-02-2009, 03:15 PM
the books call for about 2 hours in labor, sounds like someone is making some coin if they are charging you $600

Whats the dealers hourly rate?Thought the same thing. Called the GMC and Chevy dealer in town and both quoted the same. Not sure what their shop rates are.

Knot 4 Me
11-02-2009, 03:19 PM
It is a pretty straightforward repair, and you will likely find it is just the gaskets leaking, they rarely leak from the pump seal itself.Thanks. Looked pretty straightforward to me too. There is Dex-Cool puddled near the pully so it appears to be leaking out the weep hole of the pump.

Chris
11-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Don't feel alone. I had my Excursion in for a recall repair. They saw a trans line leaking- quoted me $264. It was a 40 cent o-ring. Took all of 5 minutes to repair.

Knot 4 Me
11-02-2009, 03:48 PM

Whats the dealers hourly rate?Must of misunderstood them the first time. Here is the breakdown from the dealer:

Pump $339.72
Coolant (2 gal) $42.66
Labor (2 hr) $208.94
Tuck's Medicated Pad for bunghole $NC :ack2:

$641.82

JupiterSunsation
11-02-2009, 05:29 PM
My buddy just had it done on his 2500 pickup (60K miles/2004 model). Stealership wanted $650, local mechanic did it for $550. Stealership warranted the delco product for 12 mo/12K miles was the only advantage.

Magic Medicine
11-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Must of misunderstood them the first time. Here is the breakdown from the dealer:

Pump $339.72
Coolant (2 gal) $42.66
Labor (2 hr) $208.94
Tuck's Medicated Pad for bunghole $NC :ack2:

$641.82

I am the service manager at a Ford dealer our shop rate is 82/ hr. I never try to hose anyone, repeat biz and positive recommendations are key!!!!!!!

Magic Medicine
11-02-2009, 05:50 PM
My buddy just had it done on his 2500 pickup (60K miles/2004 model). Stealership wanted $650, local mechanic did it for $550. Stealership warranted the delco product for 12 mo/12K miles was the only advantage.

Plus certified technicians! Those who don't know don't know. Most of the backyard and local bert and ernie mechanics are calling here all day long because they need help or have questions. When you get your vehicle serviced at your so called "stealership" you get the experience and expertise of a trained tech, plus a facility that stands behind their work!!!!!

JupiterSunsation
11-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Plus certified technicians! Those who don't know don't know. Most of the backyard and local bert and ernie mechanics are calling here all day long because they need help or have questions. When you get your vehicle serviced at your so called "stealership" you get the experience and expertise of a trained tech, plus a facility that stands behind their work!!!!!

Andy no argument here.....see my "good job GM" thread. My waterpump went on my diesel at 106K miles and it was almost $800 but I had them do it (also not a lot of independent shops want to work on diesels).

But the "stealership" wanted $157 to change the fuel filter (Delco filter is $40) and it is a unscrew/screw on deal then prime the fuel pump when you are done. Messy for a first timer but not $120 in labor messy! I suspect the job is marked up timewise to remove the inside fender cover/ you can pull it out of the way to do the job without removing it (30 seconds vs 30 minutes).

Magic Medicine
11-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Andy no argument here.....see my "good job GM" thread. My waterpump went on my diesel at 106K miles and it was almost $800 but I had them do it (also not a lot of independent shops want to work on diesels).

But the "stealership" wanted $157 to change the fuel filter (Delco filter is $40) and it is a unscrew/screw on deal then prime the fuel pump when you are done. Messy for a first timer but not $120 in labor messy! I suspect the job is marked up timewise to remove the inside fender cover/ you can pull it out of the way to do the job without removing it (30 seconds vs 30 minutes).

the books calls for 1.1 hrs in labor! I normally charge around a 1/2 to change most fuel filters. On ford diesels the fuel filter on the frame rail takes some time to change and its alot easier done whiles its in the air

clayinaustin
11-02-2009, 08:43 PM
I recently replaced the water pump on my 2004 Silverado. I bought the pump for $110, and paid an oil change place $225 to do the work.

It was alot cheaper than the Chevy dealership.

Expensive Date
11-02-2009, 08:49 PM
I recently replaced the water pump on my 2004 Silverado. I bought the pump for $110, and paid an oil change place $225 to do the work.

It was alot cheaper than the Chevy dealership.

Be carefull I would not let most of the guys that work in those places put gas in my lawnmower.

Expensive Date
11-02-2009, 08:54 PM

Actually they call me first to get the special tools needed....Find out they are $500.00 then they call you.I can find out if you need any thing special to do the water pump tomorrow PM me.

Like any business you are not just paying for the time you are paying for what it takes to run the shop.For the most part dealership guys are better techs.There are some real scary guys working on cars trust me.

Magic Medicine
11-03-2009, 01:25 AM
Actually they call me first to get the special tools needed....Find out they are $500.00 then they call you.I can find out if you need any thing special to do the water pump tomorrow PM me.

Like any business you are not just paying for the time you are paying for what it takes to run the shop.For the most part dealership guys are better techs.There are some real scary guys working on cars trust me.

Just like I said above. I am tempted to tell some guys to go the library and get a book. Everyone always wants free info!

Knot 4 Me
11-03-2009, 09:52 AM

But the "stealership" wanted $157 to change the fuel filter (Delco filter is $40) and it is a unscrew/screw on deal then prime the fuel pump when you are done. Messy for a first timer but not $120 in labor messy! I suspect the job is marked up timewise to remove the inside fender cover/ you can pull it out of the way to do the job without removing it (30 seconds vs 30 minutes).I used to remove the passenger-side battery on my 2004 2500HD DMax to replace the filter. Took about 30 minutes total time start to finish.

Knot 4 Me
11-03-2009, 09:58 AM
Plus certified technicians! Those who don't know don't know. Most of the backyard and local bert and ernie mechanics are calling here all day long because they need help or have questions. When you get your vehicle serviced at your so called "stealership" you get the experience and expertise of a trained tech, plus a facility that stands behind their work!!!!!Lots of turnover in the service department at the local dealers. Very scary who they have writing the tickets, let alone doing the work. Totally different world the last couple of years. I'm glad my warranty is up because I was having to go to other shops to correct the warranty work the local dealership was performing incorrectly. And in some cases, I would end up fixing it myself after repeated attempts on their end to unsuccessfully address simple problems. I miss the good old days where I could pull into the service bay, be referred to by name, know most of the folks in the shop, and have a repair done competently and at a competitive price. Those days are long gone around here.

Magic Medicine
11-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Lots of turnover in the service department at the local dealers. Very scary who they have writing the tickets, let alone doing the work. Totally different world the last couple of years. I'm glad my warranty is up because I was having to go to other shops to correct the warranty work the local dealership was performing incorrectly. And in some cases, I would end up fixing it myself after repeated attempts on their end to unsuccessfully address simple problems. I miss the good old days where I could pull into the service bay, be referred to by name, know most of the folks in the shop, and have a repair done competently and at a competitive price. Those days are long gone around here.

Sorry to hear that. The car biz is tough right now with the current economic conditions. Most customers are living with problems that they hadn't in the past, tough for everyone from the top down!

Knot 4 Me
11-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Sorry to hear that. The car biz is tough right now with the current economic conditions. Most customers are living with problems that they hadn't in the past, tough for everyone from the top down!Agree. Some are handling the tough times better than others. My wife and son both drive Toyotas. I've had good luck at the local Ford/Toyota dealership with their service department. Personel has been steady, as well as the level of service, the past few years. No complaints there. Guess I need to trade the GMC in for a Ford. I came close earlier this summer. Hard decision to make though for a lifetime GM owner but GM is doing themselves no favors in terms of customer loyalty.

JupiterSunsation
11-03-2009, 02:24 PM
the books calls for 1.1 hrs in labor! I normally charge around a 1/2 to change most fuel filters. On ford diesels the fuel filter on the frame rail takes some time to change and its alot easier done whiles its in the air

GM is right next to the a/c cannister about a foot off the firewall. The filter won't fit going up and out so it needs to go out through the fender. With the top plastic clip removed the fender cover bends down nicely and the filter comes right out. Once you have discovered the trick you can't believe it is that easy!

It takes 10 minutes tops including re-priming the pump.......

Knot 4 Me
11-03-2009, 03:08 PM
GM is right next to the a/c cannister about a foot off the firewall. The filter won't fit going up and out so it needs to go out through the fender. With the top plastic clip removed the fender cover bends down nicely and the filter comes right out. Once you have discovered the trick you can't believe it is that easy!

It takes 10 minutes tops including re-priming the pump.......The filter will come out through the top. You just have to move the AC lines slightly and it will clear easily. At least that was the case on my '04.

Magic Medicine
11-03-2009, 03:45 PM

It takes 10 minutes tops including re-priming the pump.......

Not bad. Messy doing the Fords if you don't have it in the air or have the right tools!

Airpacker
11-03-2009, 04:20 PM

Maybe, maybe not. I have seen the mess some of those supposedly "trained techs" have left behind trying to beat book. The screws or bolts purposely left out because they are awkward and time consuming to thread back in. The cross threaded wheel nuts, stripped studs, warped rotors courtesy of the mighty impact gun. Head gaskets replaced without actually removing, cleaning and inspecting the head and block, just slide one out and slide one in, bolt her down and ship it.

I have seen some of those supposedly "trained techs" misdiagnose so many things its not funny. Some are very good at playing Diagnostic Darts. Some really suck at it and have to throw lots and lots of darts at the board.

Not saying they are all that way. I do know some good ones and a few really smart ones too. Heck, I even know a couple who know what a DSO is and how to use it. :)

Number one reason I gain new customers from the dealerships: "I am sick and tired of getting screwed."

Case in point. Monday morning I did a four wheel brake inspection on a 2007 Ford product for a new referral customer.

I informed the owner that there was nothing that needed to be done to her 37000km vehicle. Brakes were in excellent condition. 70% front pad material, good condition rotors, free calipers and slides. 50% material rear pads, slight corrosion build up on edge of rear rotors but clean faces. Free calipers and slides.

She questioned me about calipers being seized. I explained that I could move them by hand so they were definately NOT seized.
She then hands me an estimate from a large local dealer for 1300 worth of rear brake work deemed absolutely necessary by the inspecting "trained tech" due to seized calipers and worn out pads.

I used the old "Well mam, maybe someone in the office confused your work order with another one" line because I don't like openly slagging other shops for poor performance.
I billed her .5 for the inspection and I know for a fact that she will be a repeat customer.

Not to single out Ford here, I have seen very much the same scenario from GM, Chryco, Toyota, Subaru and a few indies lately.

Number two reason I gain new customers from the dealerships: "I have had the XXXX back to them 3 or 4 or 5 times and they still can't fix it".

Case 2 in point. I just ( less than one hour ago) got paid for fixing a Grand Cherokee that was at the dealer for two weeks and still drained the battery in a couple days. I guess they "trained techs" at whichever dealer the jeep was at couldn't possibly fathom that there might be more than one parasitic drain in the vehicle and that selling a BCM, a new battery and reman alternator should have fixed the guy right up. :rofl:

PS, I stand behing my work with a one year, 12,000 mile warranty on everything I do.
Been doing it that way for over 25 years and I have the repeat business to prove it :)

PSS, I have a degree in Automotive Technology and enough training certificates to wall paper a house. Classroom training only gets you so far. Learning by doing and reverse engineering gets you the rest of the way.

So, am I Bert or Ernie ? :)

Magic Medicine
11-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Which one do you want to be Bert or Ernie??? I am not going to take the time to read the long post, but you are an indy and I work at a dealer. There are some good and bad mechanics both places I think we can agree on that! Easy there big guy! Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, you feel better now?:sifone::sifone:leaving::USA:

Airpacker
11-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Which one do you want to be Bert or Ernie??? I am not going to take the time to read the long post, but you are an indy and I work at a dealer. There are some good and bad mechanics both places I think we can agree on that! Easy there big guy! Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, you feel better now?:sifone::sifone:leaving::USA:

I typed a longer retort but screw it. My skin is pretty thick after being in this business for ever. Please do use a narrower paint brush from now on :)

OK, I need to go groom my feathers. :26:

JupiterSunsation
11-03-2009, 08:34 PM
I heard the brake story at my local tire store for years (next time it is going to need brakes)......at 135K they got changed for the first time. Factory delco pads went back on and somewhere around 250-275K it will get done again.

Something that some customers don't realize at the dealerships: The service writer gets paid commission to sell services/parts you may or may not need...... People are stunned when you tell them that, like a light bulb goes off!

Mercedes dealer story:

07 GL diesel SUV- 10K miles in 90 days. Calls for a schedule A service ($400+). So I ask for a parts list, instead I get a 4 page list of what they "inspect." Inspect everything from tires, to battery fluid level (convienently under passenger front seat), seat belts, all glass right down to the windshield wipers. Total parts changed: oil and filter!
I decline and argue truck is 90 days old, change the oil and reset the dummy light on the dash......oh sir can't do that......manager is called in and she realizes that this service might be overkill for a 90 day old truck and ok'd the reset. Oil change was still $120 but more importantly the light got reset so I wouldn't be annoyed!
Drove it 50K miles in 22 months and traded it with nothing but 4 oil changes.

Magic Medicine
11-04-2009, 10:32 AM
I typed a longer retort but screw it. My skin is pretty thick after being in this business for ever. Please do use a narrower paint brush from now on :)

OK, I need to go groom my feathers. :26:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well put Sir well put!!!:sifone::26:

Ted
11-04-2009, 10:58 AM
I see stuff like this all day, every day in my business. And there is a very disturbing trend right now, both at the Dealers and Bert and Ernie's. Since virtually all techs are paid flat rate and since business is off across the board, they are actually going beyond "excessive preventive maintenance" to downright thievery. We are seeing guys writing up non-existent failures and doing some of the old worn out tricks like spraying oil on a seal or shock and calling it bad. They are in survival mode and ethics and morals are out the window. I feel sorry for anyone bringing a car in to a shop they are not known in and trust because it is a bad time right now in the industry and these guys are doing whatever they can to keep the dollars coming in.

go4broke
11-14-2009, 09:56 AM
In my experience dealers don't send problem cars to independents, the independents send them to the dealer after shotgunning every related part onto the vehicle. Good independents are rare around here (I can only think of 3) . The best pay (unless its your own shop) is at the dealer. Where do you think the best techs wind up? Independents often quote a job cheaper, they are using cheap parts, making the same profit or more. Your dealer can get the same parts if you want them. I put an aftermarket fan clutch on my trailblazer, was faulty (rpm sensor) right out of the box. Reminded me why I always use OEM. It was twice the price, but works perfectly and will for another 100K. The brake job from the muffler shop is not the same as the one from the dealer, and not just the parts. Its a stupid simple job, but there are details to be attended to that are important, and are often missed or skipped for speed or just ignorance. Are there certain independents that are better than a particular dealer? Absolutely. But the most expertise on a car line will be found at the dealer. There are crooked people everywhere, going to one type of shop or another won't help you avoid them.

go4broke
11-14-2009, 10:48 AM
Sorry for the thread hijack Knot,
To answer your question, the water pump is very straight forward and easy, no special tools needed. The only "difficulty" is removing the clutch fan. As stated above, 99% of the time it's just the gaskets. Look carefully at where the coolant is leaking.

Knot 4 Me
11-30-2009, 11:08 AM
To answer your question, the water pump is very straight forward and easy, no special tools needed. The only "difficulty" is removing the clutch fan. As stated above, 99% of the time it's just the gaskets. Look carefully at where the coolant is leaking.My 2006 came from the factory with electric fans so no clutch fan to deal with. I pinpointed the leak to the gasket where the pump bolts to the block on the passenger side. I'm going to put a new pump on anyway. I also now have to deal with a howling noise coming from the left front. Suspect a bad wheel bearing or possibly a bearing in the front diff. It is not a CV joint or ring and pinion noise. I love GM (General Malfunction)! :ack2: :)

GB
11-30-2009, 07:51 PM
Thanx for the heads up! How many miles on the 6.0? My 06 Denali has 32k of dependable miles. Knock on wood...!

Knot 4 Me
12-01-2009, 09:28 AM
Just turned 40K. Drained the front diff last night and the magnet looked like Dr. J's fro back in the 70's. Gear lube was bunrt and of course was low (thanks GM for being consistant in always underfilling your differentials). Probably a bad carrier bearing. The hits keep coming! :smash:

Rock
12-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Just changed the water pump on my 03 2500 GMC. It has 180K and found out it was just the gasket leaking. No special tools needed.

sweet addiction
12-02-2009, 11:20 PM
He beat me to it. That was the hard part. Everything else was easy. I had a 1999 model with the 6.0 in it. You can do it.

To answer your question, the water pump is very straight forward and easy, no special tools needed. The only "difficulty" is removing the clutch fan. As stated above, 99% of the time it's just the gaskets. Look carefully at where the coolant is leaking.

Knot 4 Me
12-07-2009, 11:19 AM
New pump is on. It was leaking out the weep hole. It was running along the underneath and then dripping off near the thermostat which made it appear to be a gasket leak. Gaskets were on their way out, though. Hope to get more than 40K out of the new one. Oh wait, I won't have this truck for 40K more miles!!!