PDA

View Full Version : NEW DASH, opinions...........

t500hps
11-11-2008, 09:04 AM
What do you think of this layout?

I have:
182C GPS
2: tachs
4: Water temp and water pressure
4: Oil temp and oil pressure
1: volt meter
1: fuel gauge

Figured I'd cluster each engine in the banks of 4 on each side and put the volt and fuel gauge in the center.

C_Spray
11-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Looks kinda familiar, but I don't have oil temperature.......

I like the gauges grouped by function, so you can see if one engine is out of whack (and it makes the wiring simpler), but either way will work.

t500hps
11-11-2008, 12:27 PM
I haven't decided whether to group by function or by motor. The current set up has them paired by function and I keep thinking I'd like to change it.

Formula 382 sr-1
11-12-2008, 07:23 PM
I will be adding oil temp and water press. over the winter. Oil temp may have saved a motor in Aug. but it's to late now. It's one of my things to do over the winter . :(

macjazzy
11-12-2008, 09:26 PM
Looks kinda familiar, but I don't have oil temperature.......

I like the gauges grouped by function, so you can see if one engine is out of whack (and it makes the wiring simpler), but either way will work.

That makes the most sense to me. If they are paired by function once you get used to their placement you will be able to know at a glance if something is out of spec. Its an old racer trick to mount all the gauges so when everything is at normal operating condition the needles would all point straight up.

Obviously that wouldn't be very asthetic in a pleasure boat. But you do want them arranged so you can tell at a glance during your gauge sweep something is amiss. You really don't want to take your eyes off the water long enough to actually "read" all the gauges

trips2win
11-19-2008, 09:55 PM
i am going with ipod and alpine head unit going to make a flat panel work

t500hps
11-19-2008, 11:54 PM
OK, the metal is at the machine shop to be cut in the next week or 2.

I have a new idea though:
I'm thinking of pulling all the panels and making them blue or red like the newer Fastech's. My current bezels are red so I would likely get a new set of silver bezels to go with my white gauges.....how would that look? I would need to find someone to silk screen all the text back on the panels too though......

any comments?

PartyMedic
11-19-2008, 11:57 PM
I wish I could help you out but I only have a single engine so I don't have all those gauges. I know what brand gauge I want I just cant decide on style and color. Best of luck to you.

PartyMedic
11-20-2008, 12:01 AM
I think Silver or Chrome bezels look very nice against a blue or red dash panel. I have an idea: Buy all new gauges with Platinum rims and put chrome bezels behind them with a colored dash panel.

t500hps
11-20-2008, 12:06 AM
I'm re-using the white Gaffrig gauges that were in the boat........just tring to decide between colored panels and new bezels, or just making the one new panel white and re-using the red bezels.

old dash:

t500hps
11-20-2008, 12:07 AM
I think Silver or Chrome bezels look very nice against a blue or red dash panel. I have an idea: Buy all new gauges with Platinum rims and put chrome bezels behind them with a colored dash panel.

Did you get my PM the other day......you have a package on the way.

inbetween
11-20-2008, 12:10 AM
Re-did our 311 dash last year, Not top of the line gauges, but they work well. Lower corners have water pressure gauges (not pictured). Gauges grouped by engine. A quick glance underway and you can see if all gauge indicators are near middle of the scale.

t500hps
11-20-2008, 12:14 AM
Re-did our 311 dash last year, Not top of the line gauges, but they work well. Lower corners have water pressure gauges (not pictured). Gauges grouped by engine. A quick glance underway and you can see if all gauge indicators are near middle of the scale.

post a pic of your boat. I was thinking a solid color (like the newer formula's) but my wife suggested a color scheme that matches our boat (I'm assuming that's what yours is)

inbetween
11-20-2008, 12:18 AM
pics here
http://seriousoffshore.com/forums/album.php?albumid=8

PartyMedic
11-20-2008, 12:29 AM
Did you get my PM the other day......you have a package on the way.

Yes I did get your pm the other day. I sent one back but I guess it didn't go through. I will try again.

Thanks

Tim

Mopower
11-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Redid mine a few years back. Changed from black to white and added oil temp , water pressure and fuel pressure. Kept them divided by engine since thats what it was like and I was used to it.

trips2win
11-23-2008, 04:00 PM
t500hp i sent my gauges back to recondition and i had them throw on chrome rims and orange needles this is what that would look like it pops good

t500hps
11-23-2008, 05:14 PM
t500hp i sent my gauges back to recondition and i had them throw on chrome rims and orange needles this is what that would look like it pops good

looks good!!!

trips2win
11-23-2008, 07:23 PM
here's another look with chrome on chrome hope this helps

phragle
11-23-2008, 08:09 PM
this is the old and the redone on the old nova

h2oboy
11-27-2008, 11:23 AM
Here's a friends 311 that we did the dash in last spring

LAKE EFFECT
12-26-2008, 07:49 AM
t500hps,

FYI, Livorsi makes replacement drive trim/tab switch covers. They pop right off with a screwdriver, and the new ones are a nice touch to a fresh dash. Especially when the old ones are all yellowed up .

LE

t500hps
12-26-2008, 09:31 AM
t500hps,

FYI, Livorsi makes replacement drive trim/tab switch covers. They pop right off with a screwdriver, and the new ones are a nice touch to a fresh dash. Especially when the old ones are all yellowed up .

LE

I replaced the yellow ones this past spring.....that was an old pic :). The last panel came in Wed afternoon. With 3 kids you can imagine I didn't have time to install that last panel the past 2 nights but it should (hopefully) get installed tonight!!!! (I'm at work today :()