PDA

View Full Version : Cowes 1964

THUNDERBOLT
10-29-2009, 09:54 AM
Where is Claudia 2?

This was the first time we in Britain heard the name Don Aronow, he was on board Claudia 2 a Formula 277 with crew Dennis Miller and I think Bill Wishnick.
Claudia 2 became Broad Jumper in 65 and stayed in this country until purchased last year by an American and taken back to the States.
We know not by who or where she has gone other than being restored unless anyone there does...

regards

Mike
COPOC

NNRT
10-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Where is Claudia 2?

This was the first time we in Britain heard the name Don Aronow, he was on board Claudia 2 a Formula 277 with crew Dennis Miller and I think Bill Wishnick.
Claudia 2 became Broad Jumper in 65 and stayed in this country until purchased last year by an American and taken back to the States.
We know not by who or where she has gone other than being restored unless anyone there does...

regards

Mike
COPOC

Mike - a quick look at the photo - if I am not mistaken its a Bertram 32 - I could be wrong - - am sure others here can tell for sure !

Phil

FLYING FISH
10-29-2009, 01:05 PM
The pic shown is a Formula 27ft,taken in the Cowes - Torquay 1968.

For your reference I took the photo.

THUNDERBOLT
10-29-2009, 01:31 PM
Thanks Graham
do not suppose you know where she went?
she had a dreadful cabin added in the 80's but I lost the picture.
Someone knew her history though.

another one lost.

Mike

FLYING FISH
10-29-2009, 01:54 PM
The last I heard about it was on your thread Mike on Boatmad in Jan 2008,where `Motorvator` had seen it on ebay (post118).The ebay ref was removed.Wonder if it`s possible to trace old ebay sales?

Dunaruna
10-29-2009, 02:44 PM
Thanks Graham
do not suppose you know where she went?
she had a dreadful cabin added in the 80's but I lost the picture.
Someone knew her history though.

another one lost.

Mike

Hi Mike , I Take it this is the boat you are referring to. Duna:sifone:

THUNDERBOLT
10-30-2009, 04:58 AM
Thats her..
she was definately sold to an American and shipped out.
but where?

Mike

NNRT
10-30-2009, 05:28 AM
The pic shown is a Formula 27ft,taken in the Cowes - Torquay 1968.

For your reference I took the photo.

I stand corrected - thank you !

Brownie
10-30-2009, 08:39 AM
I drove that boat in the 1965 Cowes Torquay for Bill Wishnick. Dennis Miller was our navigator. Great Guy. Rough race.

FLYING FISH
10-31-2009, 04:21 AM
I never realized you were on the boat Brownie,Only Wishnick and Miller ever got mentioned in despatches.For your interest there are some shots of the boat in the Cowes - Torquay film in the Multimedia section on Boatmad.com

I take it you were the third crew member.The film was made for the sponsor the Daily Express newspaper,and anyone could borrow the film for film shows.When video came in mid seventies I got it transferred to VHS before it was lost forever,along with all the other Cowes - Torquay races.Now the websites have taken over ,it can be seen by an even wider audience.When you think you have to be at least in your late 50`s to have appreciated the great days of true offshore.I wish there were more U.S. films of the 60`s and 70`s on the websites.I know Betty Cook had a 16mm film collection.Where`s that gone?

If you want to view a really rough race,look for 1971 Cowes - Torquay on Boatmad.That ended up being run in gale force 9 conditions with boats surfing down the waves and ploughing into the troughs.

Dunaruna
10-31-2009, 04:35 AM
A few more images of the boat back in the day, Duna :sifone:

Jon Fuller
10-31-2009, 02:06 PM
The Cowes race of '71:

http://boatmad.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=21408

The gallery page containing the Cowes Torquay races:

http://boatmad.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=9684

And the main gallery home page:

http://boatmad.com/gallery/main.php

Pretty much everything you see in the Boatmad galleries, stills & Videos, are courtesy of Graham Stevens (FLYING FISH), He has a collection that is mind boggling!

The gallery is still being re-populated after a server meltdown, should be back up to speed in a week or so.

BTW, howdy Graham, Mike & Duna :bigear:

Brownie
11-01-2009, 11:03 PM
That set of 3 pics above was from Around Nassau, 64. Aronow's first win. When I drove it, it had a butt ugly cabin for Class 1.