PDA

View Full Version : This should be Illegal

THUNDERBOLT
10-26-2009, 01:25 PM
The state of old raceboats is something that is sometimes heartbreaking
this is the 1962 COWES TORQUAY winning boat then and now..
TRAMONTANA 2,230 HORSEPOWER CRM PETROL ENGINES doomed to die although we are trying to get her back from Italy

Mike
COPOC

old377guy
10-26-2009, 01:51 PM
tears.......

xlr8by
10-26-2009, 02:05 PM
wow! Sad Sad sight :( What type of speeds was that boat running?

FASTERDAD
10-26-2009, 02:29 PM
:(:( What a shame. Are the power plants still with the boat?

MattBMiller
10-26-2009, 03:06 PM
That's too bad. Lots of old race boats sitting liek that rotting away

Ratickle
10-26-2009, 07:54 PM
Fill us in on some more info. Anybody have any other pics or specifications????

THUNDERBOLT
10-27-2009, 05:22 AM
you can read all about her here.
http://www.classicoffshore.com/pages/history/tramontana.htm

Mike

Ratickle
10-27-2009, 06:45 AM
you can read all about her here.
http://www.classicoffshore.com/pages/history/tramontana.htm

Mike

Thanks. Wow, that is sad to see. Cool looking boat. When it say 6% entry at the stern, does that mean a 6 degree Vee ?

THUNDERBOLT
10-27-2009, 07:21 AM
correct!
the early years of the sport both sides of the pond gaves us amazing designs..so sad they lost their individuality..where have all the groundbreaking designers gone? no Aronows no Levi's no Sheads and Mr Buzzi's designs all now look the same?
come on you guys someone put style back into the sport.

MikeyFIN
10-27-2009, 07:28 AM
Thanks. Wow, that is sad to see. Cool looking boat. When it say 6% entry at the stern, does that mean a 6 degree Vee ?

Itīs a scaled down MTB boat.... theyīre all like that...some had steps.

FLYING FISH
10-27-2009, 07:47 AM
In some cases the deadrise was zero aft on the MTB`s that raceboat was based on.It`s called a warped bottom,and is done to give increase the wetted surface lift for the heavy machinery in the MTBs.
That photo of the boat under the crane(see tramontana review in COPOC site) brings back some memories.The guy in the flat cap on the right was your typical shipyard foreman,stocky build and hard as nails,but he met his match when some shipyard workers from the scottish clyde yards came down,one of which was even tougher and after a dispute on the shop floor,picked that foreman up and hung him on a coat hook and left in there.Next day he was sacked!

MikeyFIN
10-27-2009, 08:00 AM
Splendid curves!!! I love old MTBīs and have two here 800yrd from me at the drydocks for display.

catastrophe
10-27-2009, 08:23 AM
The state of old raceboats is something that is sometimes heartbreaking
this is the 1962 COWES TORQUAY winning boat then and now..
TRAMONTANA 2,230 HORSEPOWER CRM PETROL ENGINES doomed to die although we are trying to get her back from Italy

Mike
COPOC

What is involved in retrieving the boat?
Do you actually have to pay for it?
What will you do with it if/when you get it?
Is this being funded by an organization?

Ratickle
10-27-2009, 08:50 AM
What is involved in retrieving the boat?
Do you actually have to pay for it?
What will you do with it if/when you get it?
Is this being funded by an organization?

I'm with Alec. What needs to be done. What's the "plan" currently????

cosmic12
10-27-2009, 09:08 AM
Very cool old boat, Kinda looks like an old Hacker Craft PT boat.
Is it plywood? looks like it in the pics.

THUNDERBOLT
10-27-2009, 09:45 AM
We know where she is, we know who owns her and even though she is in a very poor state Italians think that it has a value usually highly inflated! we tread carefully!
her construction is quite complex notice all the frames and keel /engine bearers which is why she holds together..Flying Fish could tell you more, and yes very thin ply which is why the sides and decks are holed.
If the day ever came and we got her back there are people waiting in the background to "assist".

Mike

Chris
10-27-2009, 11:01 AM
Follow the link to the site and look at the latest pics. Mother Nature is pretty far along in her recycling process. Sad.

There seem to be a number of boats lying about in Italy. I've seen pics of a Cig 36 race boat discarded by the side of the road and others of the raceboat graveyard- full of 80's vintage aluminum hulls. If I recall, one was burned pretty badly.

Brownie
10-27-2009, 01:56 PM
I raced against her in the 1965 Cowes Torquay race. At that point, she was powered by 4 small Jaguar engines, and not very competitive. I think Tania Bowman-Shaw drove her in that race.

FLYING FISH
10-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Brownie,the boat in question is Tramontana I,which only raced in 1962.In 1963 Tramontana II was built and had to be constructed even lighter,the rules having been revised in light of Tramontana I`s win in the Cowes - Torquay 1962.Tramontana II went on to race right through to 1967.In her latter days she was out performed by the new deep vee open pleasure boats,as things moved pretty quickly in the design of raceboats in the early years.This was the MTB style old guard of design up against the Ray Hunt/Levi deep vees.

You can see from the Boatshop pics where Tramontana I was built the typical work that went into these wood boats with each frame laminated up in about six strips of mahogany,while the keel/stem was again laminted on the jig shown in bottom of pic,rather like a viking longship.Hopefully you can read the scantlings on the construction plan,an age away from the tupperware deep vees.

FLYING FISH
10-27-2009, 02:31 PM
I forgot to mention,Tim Powell and Peter Ricketts drove the boat in 1965.

Brownie
10-27-2009, 03:40 PM
Good info, FF. That boatyard is like a magnet to me. I loved the old carpenters and lofters. Hardly exists anymore.

MikeyFIN
10-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Follow the link to the site and look at the latest pics. Mother Nature is pretty far along in her recycling process. Sad.

There seem to be a number of boats lying about in Italy. I've seen pics of a Cig 36 race boat discarded by the side of the road and others of the raceboat graveyard- full of 80's vintage aluminum hulls. If I recall, one was burned pretty badly.

It was the same site where an overpainted The Cigarette was wasnīt it ?

Aka the Black Tornado etc etc..

MarylandMark
10-27-2009, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the pics FF! Breath taking!

Black Tornado
10-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Two years ago I asked information on Tramontana I The that it is found somewhere at Anzio-Nettuno. Giacomo of the site web amalficoastcharter.com told me to know the owner and that he would have visited the boat taking of her pics and a video. But I have not known anymore then anything.
I strongly hope that someone can purchase and restore her.

tommymonza
12-02-2009, 11:34 AM

A link to the story on OSOhttp://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/classic-offshore/171318-found-old-36-cigarette-raceboat-today.html

tommymonza
12-02-2009, 11:35 AM

A link to the story on

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/classic-offshore/171318-found-old-36-cigarette-raceboat-today.html