PDA

View Full Version : Integrated Brake Controllers and Electric over Hyd. trailers??

OldSchool
10-23-2009, 12:21 PM
I've got a friend who has a Myco trailer with electric over hydraulic brakes. He can't get it to work. He has an '08 GMC truck and he's also tried another friends '08 Ford that also has the integrated controller as well. Neither one will work. Is there any way to get them to work? If not, what add-on controller is known to work ?

He's trying to get this thing operational before towing down to Florida for the KW week.

Thanks in advance,
Craig

Sydwayz
10-23-2009, 12:26 PM
I've read that Myco carries the adapter required to make things work.

glh
10-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Might be the wiring in his truck.

DiamondPerformance
10-23-2009, 07:16 PM
I would look at the Trailer fuse under the hood, GM leaves the fuse out. I have an 07 and that was my problem.

Dan The Man
10-23-2009, 07:57 PM
My friend put the "Redline 1200" in his 06' Ford and it is working fine. Before that, his Myco would randomly decide not to move forward or reverse!!

Chris
10-23-2009, 11:50 PM
Most electronic controllers are made for electric brakes, not EoH. Tenkosha Prodigy is EoH compatible, easy to install and works flawlessly. And pretty cheap.

wannabe
10-24-2009, 01:36 AM
Prodigy is the best by far.

Wannabe

Chris
10-24-2009, 08:35 AM
Electric brakes present a purely inductive load. The EoH is different.

First you need to send a signal for the pump to turn on. Then you send a second signal to the proportioning valve. With light braking, it opens all the way and allows most of the pump output to bleed off, giving you little braking. The more signal you send, the less you allow to bypass and the more of the pump output that goes to the brakes.

Be careful not to cross the wires. You'll get working brakes, but they'll either do little or when they do engage, they grab hard.

The Prodigy- as I'm sure other EoH controllers do, has several adjustments that make braking much more smooth. First, you can proportion voltage to match the load and the trailer's braking capability. Second, you can adjust the pre-braking- when you first send the controller the braking signal, it pre-starts the pump and gives a bit of advanced brake signal to the braking unit. It eliminates that lag between truck braking and trailer braking.

be careful not to over-brake on the trailer. If it's doing the job of the truck and its own, you'll cook the brakes. I just saw one where it boiled the grease out of the spindles and welded the hubs on.

bill63
10-24-2009, 08:38 AM
I am having same proplem i have a thread on other site about this. i am going to install myco module on my trailer hopefully that will work if not i guess a new controller next to the factory one. Wierd thing my worked great at first then all of a sudden i get brake disconnect on dash as well as brake locks up when eoh motor does not stop running. mine is a 08 f350. Also i hooked trailer to older dodge and it works great.

bill63
10-24-2009, 08:44 AM
Electric brakes present a purely inductive load. The EoH is different.

First you need to send a signal for the pump to turn on. Then you send a second signal to the proportioning valve. With light braking, it opens all the way and allows most of the pump output to bleed off, giving you little braking. The more signal you send, the less you allow to bypass and the more of the pump output that goes to the brakes.

Be careful not to cross the wires. You'll get working brakes, but they'll either do little or when they do engage, they grab hard.

The Prodigy- as I'm sure other EoH controllers do, has several adjustments that make braking much more smooth. First, you can proportion voltage to match the load and the trailer's braking capability. Second, you can adjust the pre-braking- when you first send the controller the braking signal, it pre-starts the pump and gives a bit of advanced brake signal to the braking unit. It eliminates that lag between truck braking and trailer braking.

be careful not to over-brake on the trailer. If it's doing the job of the truck and its own, you'll cook the brakes. I just saw one where it boiled the grease out of the spindles and welded the hubs on.

Does the prodigy have a direct connect for us guys who already have the factory controllers on board or do they have to be hard wired?

Chris
10-24-2009, 08:55 AM
They do have direct connect.

The problem you're experiencing is fairly typical when using a factory controller on EoH.

Chris
10-24-2009, 09:05 AM
Be aware that not all aftermarket controllers will work with EoH. The Tenkosha Prodigy does, but the P3 does not. Make sure to check.

bill63
10-24-2009, 09:09 AM
thanks i am hoping that the myco module does the trick. anyone know if they work ?

Chris
10-24-2009, 09:17 AM
The Prodigy is so inexpensive and works so well, I've never had the urge to fiddle with anything else. Just from the tunability standpoint, the Prodigy is leaps and bounds ahead. Plus, I know for sure it works. For the $120, it's not worth the time experimenting- for me. Finding an adapter, wiring it in, hooking the boat up, towing it to someplace you can test safely.... No thanks. ;)

TANTRA
10-24-2009, 09:18 AM
I am having same proplem i have a thread on other site about this. i am going to install myco module on my trailer hopefully that will work if not i guess a new controller next to the factory one. Wierd thing my worked great at first then all of a sudden i get brake disconnect on dash as well as brake locks up when eoh motor does not stop running. mine is a 08 f350. Also i hooked trailer to older dodge and it works great.

how much was that myco module?did they have it in stock.
thank you OLDSCHOOL for this thread for it is my truck that is having this
problem.

bill63
10-24-2009, 12:44 PM
they are in stock 79 bucks

Spicy
10-31-2009, 08:37 AM
how much was that myco module?did they have it in stock.
thank you OLDSCHOOL for this thread for it is my truck that is having this
problem.

they are in stock 79 bucks

We started getting the Top Gun truck, trailer etc ready for the journey South next week, Craig and Kent asked the question last week about the controller... we purchased the Module the other day ($79) from MYCO, in stock and shipped that day, Kent (Tantra) installed at his shop and we tested it last night, worked perfectly.... Pictures show the Module installed on top of the battery box, sorry for the terrible pictures but all I had was my Blackberry and it was raining and cloudy out...

I will let Tantra chime in for the paticulars as I have no idea what he did to install it!!!!:ack2:

Hope this helps anyone in same situation... Pat

Spicy
10-31-2009, 08:39 AM
It would probably help if I load the pictures huh??? :ack2::sifone::26:

TANTRA
10-31-2009, 08:58 AM
very easy install.just splice in 2 wires @the electric pump.the control module is made by
TITAN the same company that makes the trailer hitch,s.they might sell it cheaper.
works graet well worth the money.

Spicy
10-31-2009, 09:00 AM
You can hardly see it with these terrible pictures but Dave @ MDG Performance installed the new style windscreen that I bought from Bud @ Cigarette this week also, took off the three pop up fairings and bolted the new windscreen in place... It looks great.
So now the cover doesnt fit, so it is at Tantra's shop today , his neighbor Tim Stevens owns Stevens Upholstery he installed new cockpit carpet yesterday and sewing up a new cover for it today, and we will be in wax on wax off mode while he does that..... Off to the shop to get working... Rolling South in 5 days!!!!:sifone::26::driving:

It's amazing what gets done right before you leave to do something.... My dad always said, "You want anything done around the house, plan a party, somehow you get a months woth of projects done the day before!!!"

Pat

DAREDEVIL
10-31-2009, 09:28 AM
It's amazing what gets done right before you leave to do something.... My dad always said, "You want anything done around the house, plan a party, somehow you get a months woth of projects done the day before!!!"

Pat[/QUOTE]

Ain't that the truth,,never had it done before the last minute,,,no matter how hard u try !!!!:ack2: