10-21-2009, 02:47 PM
Now these guys are tough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcbYz5TtuLY&feature=related

Davidmnc
10-21-2009, 03:27 PM
WOW! That guys the MAN!

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-21-2009, 03:55 PM
He should have been DQ'd for no kill switch. His buddy is an A$$ for not stopping.

MikeyFIN
10-21-2009, 10:51 PM
A really old clip...

DAREDEVIL
10-21-2009, 11:41 PM
He should have been DQ'd for no kill switch. His buddy is an A$$ for not stopping.

What are u talking about Jim,,,,,thats what they call on site mechanic,,dude is just checking everything in race situation !!!!!:biggrinjester:

Buoy
10-22-2009, 12:12 AM

Jim, I always respect your opinion.
But, what makes that any different than in the old offshore days (not that this clip is new) when there were one or two guys laying spread-eagle on the deck of the boat just to get her to plane so they could finish a race?
I think I recall Brownie telling stories (with pics) of two men on the deck, and no one in the cockpit just trying to roll the boat onto plane.

I'm not arguing the safety factor. Crazy, yep, you bet. But desire to do whatever it takes to get the job done.
You can't argue, that's a pretty ballsy move - not necessarily a smart one, but ballsy.

MikeyFIN
10-22-2009, 06:52 AM
Maybe they Stopped and then took off like this.
I mean in Racing you can excpect anything desperate to finish or go racing...
From the beginnigs of How you fund yourself...

One Major Larry A. Thorne (http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/larry-thorne.htm) comes to mind of all this desire aspect.

Tom A.
10-22-2009, 09:21 AM
Wow!

Jon Fuller
10-31-2009, 03:01 PM
You can see the whole of that race here:

http://boatmad.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=21504

The bit with Clarke & Ferguson finishing without steering is about half way through the movie.

That clip has found it's way to YouTube from a short edit on Boatmad a couple of years ago.

Chris
10-31-2009, 03:19 PM
As the old expression goes, "If you're really stupid, you better be tough."

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-31-2009, 03:25 PM
Jim, I always respect your opinion.
But, what makes that any different than in the old offshore days (not that this clip is new) when there were one or two guys laying spread-eagle on the deck of the boat just to get her to plane so they could finish a race?
I think I recall Brownie telling stories (with pics) of two men on the deck, and no one in the cockpit just trying to roll the boat onto plane.

I'm not arguing the safety factor. Crazy, yep, you bet. But desire to do whatever it takes to get the job done.
You can't argue, that's a pretty ballsy move - not necessarily a smart one, but ballsy.

I don't know how he got there but, I suspect he got drug or thrown out of his seat. It should have killed the engines. Besides what was he going to do there?.. Rub the cowlings and talk nice to them.

Climbing forward is different. First it was intentional and second I doubt they raced there.

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-31-2009, 03:27 PM

"You've got be tough when your dumb" is the way I remember it.

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-31-2009, 03:29 PM
The bit with Clarke & Ferguson finishing without steering is about half way through the movie.

I recall in Miami '86 Captain Maintained idled in with one of them manual steering his outboards.. They weren't trying to race. They just returned to the pits.

Chris
10-31-2009, 03:34 PM
When they put in the rule that helmets were mandatory, Aronow made the start, then threw it overboard.

DAREDEVIL
10-31-2009, 03:41 PM
You can see the whole of that race here:

http://boatmad.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=21504

That clip has found it's way to YouTube from a short edit on Boatmad a couple of years ago.

I like the scarab best !!!!:USA:

DAREDEVIL
10-31-2009, 03:42 PM
I don't know how he got there but, I suspect he got drug or thrown out of his seat. It should have killed the engines. Besides what was he going to do there?.. Rub the cowlings and talk nice to them.

Climbing forward is different. First it was intentional and second I doubt they raced there.

Jimbo,,he was ateering the boat with his feet !!!! They lost hydraulic steering so he did it !!

Jon Fuller
10-31-2009, 03:48 PM

I don't think it was particularly stupid. hugely reduced speed, just wanted to finish the race & collect his points in the championship. Very determined, but not stupid.

If you watch this video from 1975, where a motor mount fails and the navigator ties a rope around the OB, then around himself, now that's stupid. could'a gone so, so wrong.

The 1975 London Calais London Race (http://boatmad.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=21215)

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-31-2009, 06:54 PM
I suppose I may have over reacted on the DQ part.

Determined Yes, very. It may not be stupid but, it sure is foolish.

PJC
11-01-2009, 06:50 AM
Hey Jon do you think being a human steering system was in Len's terms of employment :seeya:

MikeyFIN
11-01-2009, 07:13 AM
I suppose I may have over reacted on the DQ part.

Determined Yes, very. It may not be stupid but, it sure is foolish.
'
+1 thenagain...it doesn´t come as a surprise...

cashbrain
11-01-2009, 11:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-Eg575uljs&feature=related

MarylandMark
11-01-2009, 11:52 AM
manual trim

AIR TIME
11-23-2009, 12:19 PM

they lost there steering so thats how they were steering the boat with him sitting in the valley of the transom and using his feet to push the brackets it worked for them. when I raced in the cape cod race in 02 my bolster blew a part so I KICKED IT AWAY, not knowing there was a 6'' piece of metal that could have cut me wide open if I fell backwards at the gunnel. my navigator saw it warned me but I raced for 3/4s of a lap cause I wanted to pass the guys in second place plus I was landing on him more than anywhere else after another 8 footer slammed me into the floor he pulled the plug on the race. I WAS ****ED, even thou I got almost sent over board a few times by landing on the deck. but at the heat of the moment I just wanted to race baby.:sifone::sifone:. hope to this yr with my new SABER. artie

baronmarine
11-23-2009, 04:48 PM
hope to this yr with my new SABER. artie[/QUOTE]

artie: fill us in on the saber.

todd