PDA

View Full Version : Lost but Not Forgotten......

MILD THUNDER
10-21-2009, 09:42 AM
Last night we lost one of our own, Brian Miller AKA Straightjacket. He passed away while at work last night. He will be missed, but not forgotten. Please send your prayers to his friends and family. He was a great friend to many, one in particular is our friend Mike Sommers aka Redhotsommer. Mike, I know how close you two were, and Im sure you miss him a great deal. My thoughts and prayers go out to you also.

For those of you who knew Brian, feel free to post and share any stories or pictures you may wish to.

DAREDEVIL
10-21-2009, 09:57 AM
My prayers go out to all that knew him,,,,,i was lucky to meet him a few month back and he was a great great person.
I am very sorry to hear this .

In december he actually wanted to come down to FL and visit me.

This is just crazy.:(

Ms PatriYacht
10-21-2009, 10:01 AM
Crazy is right, I can't stop thinking about it. It has been a few years since I have seen him, but stayed in touch through the boards, I always figured I would catch up with him at a boating event. I really feel for his dad, all the projects that worked on and still were working on. Can anyone tell us what happened?

DAREDEVIL
10-21-2009, 10:05 AM
I just spoke to his dad on the phone ,,,and all they know is he got crushed by a maschine he worked on.

I just can't believe this ,,even togh i just met them it kind of got me.

He was an awsome guy,,just like his father.

a-B
10-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Truly a sad day, my thoughts and prayers go out to Brian Sr!! Brian was a great guy who would give you the shirt off his back without question.

Here is the story from a quick google search.

Street sweeper mechanic dies in accident
October 21, 2009 2:22 AM | No Comments
A 37-year-old man died Tuesday evening after he became stuck in the compressor of a street sweeping vehicle in the Back of the Yards neighborhood, officials said.

The man was identified by the Cook County medical examiner's office as Brian Miller, of the 100 block of Nancy Avenue in Park Forest. He was pronounced dead at 12:23 a.m. at the scene, an autopsy is scheduled for later today.

Miller was a mechanic at Elgin Sweeping Services Inc, at 1015 W. Pershing Rd., officials said. Officials said he was working on a truck.

Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Amina Greer said the man was found unresponsive after the accident which occurred at 10:10 p.m. Greer said the man became trapped inside the compressor of a street sweeping truck in the lot of the facility.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/10/man-dies-when-he-gets-trapped-in-street-sweeping-truck.html

MILD THUNDER
10-21-2009, 10:19 AM
There is one thing I know for sure about Brian Jr. And that was that his Father was his hero, his idle, and his best friend. He spoke of his father with the upmost regards.

Brian may have got called upon early, but you better believe it was for a good reason. A reason like the Gates of Heaven were malfunctioning, and God needed someone worthy of fixing them. With a reward much greater than any kind of overtime salary. Brian, like his father, could fix anything. He will be missed, but Im sure he will be looking over the throttle arm of his friends.

DollaBill
10-21-2009, 10:54 AM
sad man

redhotsommer
10-21-2009, 11:08 AM
"I'm sure he will be looking over the throttle arm of his friends"

Michelle better hang on tight next season.

I absolutely second the sentiment regarding Brian's relationship with his dad. His dad is the reason I even met him...he had seen me posting on Jack's old forum and noticed my location as Frankfort, so he contacted me. Turned out, he lived 2 blocks behind me. This was the weekend before the COPS Skater plant tour, which young Brian was to be attending. Ol' Brian gave me a brief description of what young Brian was like...I was a bit apprehensive...here I was, going to a party where I didn't know too many people, trusting some redneck/trucker guy I'd never met telling me I'd get along great with his extremely tattooed son. When young Brian walked into the room in South Haven, it was obvious right away this was the guy I was looking for. I walked up to him and said "I've been talking to your dad online." His response was, of course, something like "You've been chatting with an old man online??? Geez what HAVE you been discussing?" To say we became fast friends would be an understatement. We hung out all evening and had a great time. A couple weeks later, I found what would become my boat down at Raymond's in the Ozarks...REALLY wanted to check it out, but who would want to go with me? I called Brian and said "Want to go check out a boat with me?" He said "Sure, where at?" I said "LOTO." and half-expected him to back out...instead, the response was "Hell yeah...when are we leaving?" Over the past 5 years, there has rarely been a week when I haven't talked to him or seen him. He was truely one of my best friends, and one of the best people I've ever met.

Bring on those stories.

MILD THUNDER
10-21-2009, 11:21 AM
Yea, I remember meeting Brian for the first time at the Chicago scene boat party a few years back. My buddy and I were just getting into the offshore boats, and we got introduced to Brian. Amongst all the partying, boozing, etc, brian took the time to talk shop with us.

This summer up in south haven, my boat wouldnt start on saturday. Saturday night we drank and drank, and drank some more till the sun came up sitting on my boat. He went back to his room and slept a couple hours. He came back down to the dock, and we figured my plugs were fouled out. We were hungover and tired, but brian still joined me in a couple mile walk to town to get a set of plugs, even though he was tired as hell. Thats just how he was, always lending a hand.

mustang
10-21-2009, 12:01 PM
RIP - Sorry to hear about your friend and for those he left behind.

searaycer
10-21-2009, 12:02 PM
my condolences

Twin Whackas
10-21-2009, 12:21 PM
A very sad day for all. I met Brian for the first time this summer at the Michigan City boat races. We sat and bs'd with each other like we had been friends for years. May he reast in peace.

Mike Stroud

Magic Medicine
10-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Brian was nothing but a great friend over the years. He would glad drive your boat if you needed him to. You could always call him with any mechanical question about almost anything and he would have the answer! May he rest in peace!!!!!!

The first time I met him was on a CPC run, I had to talk to him. He and his dad were railing the 30 scarab in some pretty big water. Pretty sure they were one of the first boats at Michigan City we left from Chicago

Ms PatriYacht
10-21-2009, 01:54 PM
Mike that picture of him on your beak is friggin hilarious, there must be some sort of funny story behind it. I remember the first time I saw him, I was a bit taken a back not knowing what to expect but he was so friendly and genuine you just liked him pretty quickly. The last time and maybe only time I was in a strip club was with you guys, I still remember that night, I got to live out my wild side, a little :reddevil:

Roger 1
10-21-2009, 03:00 PM
This just breaks my heart. Please keep me informed as to the arrangements.

R.I.P. Brian

Roger

a-B
10-21-2009, 04:40 PM
Wake - 10/23 from 3-9 p.m.

Crete Funeral Home
1182 Main St
Crete, IL 60417-1944
(708) 672-7600

Mass - 10/24 @ 10a.m.

St. Mary's Church
227 Monee Rd
Park Forest, IL 60466-2403
(708) 747-1600

DAREDEVIL
10-21-2009, 05:07 PM
Wake - 10/23 from 3-9 p.m.

Crete Funeral Home
1182 Main St
Crete, IL 60417-1944
(708) 672-7600

Mass - 10/24 @ 10a.m.

St. Mary's Church
227 Monee Rd
Park Forest, IL 60466-2403
(708) 747-1600

Well,,,i live down here in FL and money is tight.
I HOPE SOMEBODY CAN SAY GOOD BY FOR ME !!!???

I did not know him long or as good as many of u ,,but he was a real cool guy and i considered him a friend ,,even tough we have just met and only seen each other for about 2 hours .

Still can't believe this.:(

Scott

Blue Oval
10-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Sounds like he was a great guy, and some great friends, sorry to hear of this.

redhotsommer
10-21-2009, 07:51 PM
Here's a couple more pics I've dug up...I'm sure I've got a lot on my work computer...

Brian @ LOTO...he came down with Kool-Aid, stopping on the way at an auto parts store to get me a spare ignition module, then ended up swapping out props with the boat IN THE WATER before the Frankie and Louie's Poker Run!

Brian and Michelle @ LOTO

Michigan City SBI races this summer

OBNOXUS
10-21-2009, 08:26 PM
Mike, these are great pictures and cherished memories!

One memory that will always stick is "naked chick" in Loto! That one will last forever!

Mrs. OB

OBNOXUS
10-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Thanks Mike, I was looking for the pic with him on the platform,,,, that was the day I met him !!!!

ICDEDPPL
10-21-2009, 09:18 PM
I thought this was a joke... man I can`t even believe it! Me and my wife are in shock! I just met him this summer when I needed help with my boat. I was just calling around getting prices from different shops, when I talked to Brian I knew right away he was an honest down to Earth guy who knew his stuff.
he went above and beyond and really helped me out.

Even a week ago I called to ask some questions about repairing my hatch and he was like yeah i`ll come by one weekend and help you out.. I mean that`s just the kinda guy he was.. I only knew him a short time and he offered his help no questions asked. He will be missed

Its unbelievable how in an instant life can change. Just crazy.:(

RIP Brian

J-Bonz
10-21-2009, 09:26 PM
Wow, that is very sad! My condolences goes out him and all that were friends with him......
Jr.

Payton
10-22-2009, 07:06 AM
So So sad. My prayers and condolences to all his family and friends.
Brian had a way of making what ever the 2 of you were talking about the most important thing there was. Even if you just met him. He truly was a great guy and will be missed.

Magic Medicine
10-22-2009, 10:52 AM
I can't help to think about the Python. Hopefully Brian SR can get it put together and run it in honory of Brian Jr!!!!!!

For the record, the Garth Brooks song the "Dance" was just on at work, brought a tear to my eye.

redhotsommer
10-22-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm going to do my best to make sure that boat makes it to the water...as long as is Ol' Brian's wish to do so. Big D already said he'd be honored to help make it happen. I'm sure the sentiment is pretty much the same throughout the group. Heck...all we really need is BBobb in the background texting and we'll be set.

a-B
10-22-2009, 11:01 AM
When that boat hits the water, it should say "Straight Jacket" across the back! That boat was all he ever talked about and dedicated his time to, I can only assume Sr. will do everything he can to make it happen!!

WARPARTY36
10-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Guys, I can't tell you how much I express my condolences. I lost my best friend in an accident in October of '04, and still think of him every day. You will have good days and bad days, but you have each other to lean on. I'm glad I got to meet Brain a couple of times, he was a fun loving guy. I like the idea of the group pitching in and helping Sr. finish the boat(if that's what he wants to do). We still have dinner with my friends parents 2 or 3 times a month, and I know how much it means to them.

Stay strong and remember all of the good times. Keep his biological family in mind, and know that his boating family will be here if you need us. Give me a call if I can hep in any way.

Bubba
918-633-8609

redhotsommer
10-22-2009, 11:54 AM
Bubba...when you and the E-dock boys came up to our run, not only did we have an great time, but I know as a fact Brian was about to burst he was so excited. Add to that the fact that you guys are just an awesome group of some of the nicest people ever, and we've got priceless memories of those times. Wish we lived closer!

ChiefApache
10-22-2009, 12:54 PM
I can't help to think about the Python. Hopefully Brian SR can get it put together and run it in honory of Brian Jr!!!!!!

For the record, the Garth Brooks song the "Dance" was just on at work, brought a tear to my eye.

As it should. Listen to the words very carefully.

Even though I didn't know Brian personally, I'm sure he lived his life to the fullest all the time from what I've read and what we've shared on the forums.

As we all should.

redhotsommer
10-22-2009, 01:12 PM
Went through all my pics this morning to have them at the wake...here's a couple winners...

redhotsommer
10-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Forgot the pics!

Warlock28SXT
10-22-2009, 03:10 PM
I had no idea what to expect when I came own to the races in Michigan City. I knew Andy and only Andy, but I love meeting new people and making new friends. Andy introduced me to Brian and there was a strange sort of comfort, not the usual awkward feeling. It was more like we were long lost friends. He didn't care what I had, have or how deep my pockets were. We just started shooting the chit and made me feel like I was supposed to be there. That night after we all packed into that Navigator for our 3 block ride:), he and I stood at the bar upstairs telling each other stories over some beers like we had any idea really who each other was, but it didn't matter, like I said like long lost friends. He was a rare breed for sure, one of the good guys. I will miss him and I just barely knew him. RIP Brian

satisfied
10-22-2009, 04:17 PM
Someone need to post his safety video you guys made for the poker run. That is how my wife and I remember him. RIP

Watch over the boaters now Brian

WARPARTY36
10-22-2009, 04:48 PM
I forgot about the safety video:rofl: That is a must!!!

Tony M
10-22-2009, 04:51 PM
One Of God's Chosen Angels. ( BRIAN MILLER. jr.) R I P

inbetween
10-22-2009, 10:13 PM
R.I.P.

Our condolences to the family and friends

kerigoff
10-22-2009, 10:21 PM
I just wanted to post and say thank you to all of you. I'm Brian's sister. He always talked so highly of so many of you, it's a comfort that the feeling is mutual.

redhotsommer
10-23-2009, 08:55 AM
Thanks for chiming in Keri. We loved Brian, and there's going to be a big missing piece next boating season.

MarylandMark
10-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Still dumbfounded over this. wow frickin wow.

Roger 1
10-23-2009, 10:46 AM
I always enjoyed talking with Brian about our projects. He will be greatly missed.

Roger

kerigoff
10-23-2009, 11:12 AM
Anyone that attends today, there will be poster boards for you to hang any and every picture you would like. We all welcome you to the luncheon after tomorrows service and would greatly enjoy hearing stories as Brian always had a story to share.

MarylandMark
10-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Hang in there Keri! Tough day- any thing I/we can do to ease the pain; say the word!

ChiefApache
10-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Anyone that attends today, there will be poster boards for you to hang any and every picture you would like. We all welcome you to the luncheon after tomorrows service and would greatly enjoy hearing stories as Brian always had a story to share.

Keri, please know you and your family along with Brian's friends are all in our thoughts and prayers. Cannot imagne what you are going through and hope you can find some comfort in knowing what joy Brian brought to many....even to those of us who only knew him as being Straight Jacket on a boating forum.

jmill36
10-23-2009, 02:53 PM
I didn't know Brian, but it sounds like he was very important to the powerboat scene in Chicago and over by us here in Michigan City. Reading in these posts what a great time he had at our race here in M.C., I think I should add something for Brian into our race schedule for 2010. If someone close to Brian and the family would like to drop me a line and we can chat, I'd be more than happy. Thanks,
Jason ...

Ms PatriYacht
10-23-2009, 03:16 PM
that's a very nice idea, did you read the thread about Sr. and Jr. in the process of building the Phyton, I believe he had thoughts of someday racing it. Maybe Brian Sr could have a seat in the pace boat for one the races.

jayhawk261
10-24-2009, 12:05 AM
I remember first meeting Brian and Mike Sommer at LOTO in 2005. My wife and I were just starting to shop for a boat and we went to the shootout to go for some boat rides with Gordo and Griff so we could get some ideas. Sr had put a note on the "other board" (only one at the time), that he may need some help getting the boat launched when he got to the lake. I volunteered. Turns out he didn't need any help launching, but he called me when he got there and said his son and friend were going to be around.

That night I started getting phone calls from Brian talking about hooking up somewhere for beer and bs'ing. My wife and I decided to meet these guys and have a beer. We wound up meeting them at Topsider's down on the dock. Here comes walking up a tattooed mohawk wearing scary biker guy and a long haired hippie! We didn't know what to think! 10 minutes later we were all talking like we'd been friends for years. Brian, Mike, and Brian senior were some of the very first boating friends we met.

Over the years we didn't get to hang out too much. It was maybe only once a year or so, but we did talk on the phone and exchange emails. I don't think I measure my friends in time spent together but in quality of people. Brian is (I refuse to say was) High quality people.

I'm still speechless about the event, and all can say is that all of your family and friends are in our thoughts and prayers.

OBNOXUS
10-24-2009, 05:14 PM
Just got home from Brians funeral.

To say Brians friend spectrum was diverse would be a huge understatement, but thats part of what made him so great.

It didnt matter where you were from, what you drove, how much money you had, you somehow could relate to Brain.

I dont want to ramble so I will just say I am honored to call him a friend, and honored to have met a entire new group of great people today.

You will be missed and never forgotten.

redhotsommer
10-25-2009, 09:04 AM
The only funeral mass that has included postings from Serious Offshore and Offshore Only I'm sure!

Anyway...I wrote and delivered the eulogy, which is one of the hardest and most cathartic things I've ever done. I thought, and my thoughts were confirmed by many of Brian's friends and family members, that I captured him pretty well. Here it is, for those who care to read it:

My friend Brian.

Four and a half years. In retrospect, it doesn’t seem like a long time. Honestly, when I did the math…I couldn’t believe it was that short a time. Within the first five minutes I knew my friend Brian, I felt like I’d known him forever. To say that his personality was “upfront” would be like saying a Harley Davidson is a motorcycle. He was unforgettable right from the get-go, and then when I really got to know him, almost unbelievable as a person. Never have I met someone so gregarious, so larger-than-life, so obscene, so unabashedly proud of who he was. Never have I met someone so….naked. While this term applies to Brian in a very real way…it is the symbolic nature of his person that made him special to me. The cliché of the tough-guy exterior and teddy bear inside was epitomized in my friend Brian. Underneath the tattoos, piercings, ripped t-shirts, badass cars, boats and motorcycles…was the ultimate nice guy. The naked guy.

Never have I been so happy and so scared to introduce a friend to my mother. And my mother-in-law. And my sister. “This is my tattooed friend Brian.” A handshake. A hug. And a HUGE smile, and they were HIS. The same has proven true any time I’ve been with Brian in a social situation. Shy…he was not…in fact…what’s the opposite of shy? Brian. Never without an opinion, and never afraid to share that opinion. LOUDLY. That is my friend Brian. He would proudly boast to me about how he was a badass bouncer and tossed this guy out or decked some other *******…but I never saw it. I saw him frustrated, but never angry. I made a mental note after meeting him that I never wanted to be the guy that made him angry…or the guy standing in the way of the unfortunate soul he was ****ed at. Not to worry.

Never have I seen a person so giving. Someone who literally scheduled his life around the needs of others. So much so that I used to have to plead with him to take some time for HIMSELF. My friend Brian left others that I consider to be hard-working in the dust. He was never too tired to help. He would forgo niceties like food and sleep if it meant either of two things….helping out a friend and getting together with a friend or a group.

This room is full of people with stories just like mine. Those stories are a legacy. Those stories together paint a picture of my friend Brian better than this page ever could. Those stories will never die…and neither will my friend Brian.

My friend Brian is now ahead of all of us in the race to the horizon. Picture him if you will…with some monster horsepower in hand, under foot, or between his legs. Racing. And at peace.

-Michael Sommer

OBNOXUS
10-25-2009, 09:20 AM
You did a great job yesterday and Brian would be (or should I say) is proud of "his friend Mike!"

Mrs. OB:)

Payton
10-25-2009, 09:47 AM
Mike, that was very good.

jayhawk261
10-25-2009, 11:06 AM
Perfect Mike! I wish we could have been there to see him off. From what I've read, it sounds like there might not have been room for 2 more! No better tribute than that!

Roger 1
10-25-2009, 01:25 PM
Mike;

You did a fantastic job delivering the eulogy yesterday. I know it was very difficult for you but you made it through. I know Brian was proud.

Although everyone was shocked and saddend by Brians passing, I couldn't help but notice what a positive and upbeat tone that was present at the wake and funeral. I'd be willing to bet that Brian liked that too.

kerigoff
10-25-2009, 03:16 PM
I think everyone's strength is what helped me through these past few days. Granted I knew the brother that would get down in the dumps, frustrated and mad but he was always smiling more often than not. Hearing stories about him eased the heartache that I am facing. I thank you all, and I think he got the ride of his life to Heaven from all of us. The angels may have been shedding thier tears these last few days but walking out of the luncheon to beautiful sunshine let me know he was at peace and happy.

ICDEDPPL
10-26-2009, 08:24 PM
I couldn`t make it, sorry, but sent flowers to the funeral.
Micheal that is a great eulogy

satisfied
10-26-2009, 11:14 PM
My friend Brian is now ahead of all of us in the race to the horizon. Picture him if you will…with some monster horsepower in hand, under foot, or between his legs. Racing. And at peace.

-Michael Sommer

WOW

My hat off to you my friend, there would be no way I could get past that.
Sitting here reading that was hard for me reading in this in the privacy of my semi. Let alone you trying to read that in front of people.

We could only be that lucky to have friends like you .

Jeff and Jessica

OBNOXUS
10-27-2009, 11:39 PM
MEMORIAL BENEFIT for BRIAN MILLER.....
Sat Nov 14th @Papi Chulo's 13601 Calhoun Ave Chicago,IL from 2p-11p
All ages, everyone is welcome. Tickets $10 Food, Live Entertainment, Raffle and Fun,
IN LOVING MEMORY OF BRIAN...Please Pass the word!!!

kerigoff
10-30-2009, 11:18 AM
I just wanted to say Thanks and please keep me in your prayers. Yesterday my best friends brother committed suicide. He was only 28. He like Brian was single with no kids but he leaves behind 2 sisters a brother in law and 4 nephews. I truly hope Brian beat his ass as there is much anger in what he did. This is the first time someone I personally knew did this, and all I can do is continue to be there for my parents as well as my best friend and my godsons.

DAREDEVIL
10-30-2009, 11:28 AM
I just wanted to say Thanks and please keep me in your prayers. Yesterday my best friends brother committed suicide. He was only 28. He like Brian was single with no kids but he leaves behind 2 sisters a brother in law and 4 nephews. I truly hope Brian beat his ass as there is much anger in what he did. This is the first time someone I personally knew did this, and all I can do is continue to be there for my parents as well as my best friend and my godsons.

Sorry to hear....my best friend did the same about 2 month ago,,he was also the driver in my raceboat :-(

What can you do ???!!!

Pray and stay strong,,,enjoy life and the good memory.

Tell your Dad i said hello.

Scott

MarylandMark
10-30-2009, 11:37 AM

Selfish, however hopefully he can find peace in death that he apparently never found in life.

MarylandMark
11-01-2009, 11:13 AM
Hang in there Keri!

baddogz28
01-03-2010, 06:28 PM
WOW. I haven't been paying much attention to the site in the past few months and I am so sorry to see this.

I bumped into Brian at East Chi marina when I first got the Pantera and I remember him being happy to answer my noob questions.

I know you Bad Influence guys are a super tight crew and I know how much he meant to all of you, even though I just kinda was on the fringe with you all when I had the Pantera. Here's to hoping he's fixing somebody's S**T up in heaven. :USA:

RIP

tommymonza
01-03-2010, 07:48 PM
I never knew Brian other than reading his posts .I have been thinking about his father ever since this accident occured.I felt so bad for him as they sounded as if they had the perfect father and son relationship.I admired that very much.

DAREDEVIL
01-03-2010, 08:37 PM
His dad called me on NY eve and ,,,well ,,what can he do? He is hanging in there !!!!

I am just glad he is as strong as he is .

REAL GOOD PEOPLE !!!!!!!

scarrab30
05-30-2010, 05:35 PM
Damn, I sure do miss him. Dad

DAREDEVIL
05-30-2010, 07:17 PM

I can imagine..Brian..hang in there buddy and call me if u need to talk !!!!!!

My Dad lives in GA and really i have almost no contact to him due to been in germany most of my life ....

OBNOXUS
05-30-2010, 09:04 PM

Cheryl and I had that same conversation lsat night :(

now we miss you to !!

Exhilaration
05-31-2010, 10:37 PM
Dennis and I had a similar conversation Sat. I only new Brain for a few short years, but those were always the best time! Love you man!

redhotsommer
06-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Every. Single. Day.