PDA

View Full Version : 496 cracked block ?'s

10-18-2009, 12:03 PM
okay so on my last run of the season (not by choice) it appears my block cracked right near the motor mount.
Is this a common problem?
How does this even happen?
Is this something my insurance company would cover?
would Merc. do anything in regards to this?
Oh its a 375 hp 496....
Thanks in advance for any help

Raylar
10-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Can happen with stock mounts on any 496 near the mounts in big water bumps. We broke a couple racing with stock mounts. No, merc won't warranty this breakage!
We have a fix and a new short block in stock if you are interested. Call us toll free (866) 496-8181
Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

10-18-2009, 04:02 PM
thanks Ray will call Monday!

imco offshore
10-18-2009, 04:38 PM
some race guys have ground down the crack and filled it with jb weld ,,, and raced all year, i think randy went 2 years,

DAREDEVIL
10-18-2009, 05:45 PM
An other side note..............never believe a racer.:rofl:

imco offshore
10-18-2009, 08:31 PM

call randy scheluess of team typhoon svl and confirm, i think the broke block is now in his p-5 boat,,, so you can see it, you know the p-5 that finishes every race it enters,, ps it wins too,,

DAREDEVIL
10-18-2009, 09:20 PM
call randy scheluess of team typhoon svl and confirm, i think the broke block is now in his p-5 boat,,, so you can see it, you know the p-5 that finishes every race it enters,, ps it wins too,,

Why do u take everything so freak'n serious ??????:rofl:

See u in the morning,,,hope u cool down a bit. LOL:sifone:

10-19-2009, 02:00 PM
I think I wanna use this as an opportunity to upgrade, also talking to a couple local (car) guys they don't recommend welding and/or don't know anyone local very capable. I also found water in the oil so one guy said welding may not resolve the problem completely.

MikeyFIN
10-19-2009, 03:21 PM
I think I wanna use this as an opportunity to upgrade, also talking to a couple local (car) guys they don't recommend welding and/or don't know anyone local very capable. I also found water in the oil so one guy said welding may not resolve the problem completely.

Follow that advice, Iīd do the same.
A cracked block belongs to the junkpile IMO.

MikeyFIN
10-19-2009, 03:24 PM

And Usually thatīs a Sound advice.

But sometimes one should believe the racers Mechanic..:sifone:

Right Scotty... at least Tommy throws good stories and laughs of things gone wrong :biggrinjester: