PDA

View Full Version : How did one navigate a race boat before gps

Dunbar 104
10-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Always wondered how the navigator did there job in a race boat? I live in the midwest so I don't know.

cigdaze
10-13-2009, 02:26 PM
With a chart, compass, speedometer, stopwatch, dead reckoning and heaven permitting some good fortune.

SVL66
10-13-2009, 02:27 PM
I would assume using a sextant ...you know following the stars...lol :) No, my guess is compass headings

guys got lost all the time. I remember a race in Point Pleasant back in the early 80s. One guy made a nav error and ended up in Long Island along with several others that followed him. A helo had to direct them back home.

Sean Stinson
10-13-2009, 02:29 PM
With a chart, compass, speedometer, stopwatch, dead reckoning and heaven permitting some good fortune.

pretty much sums it up.....it wasn't always just a boat ride and wave at the people you actually had to do some thinking!!!!

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-13-2009, 02:31 PM
Mark. There is an art to navigating and dead reckoning. They used stop watches calculated distances and times at different speeds. Those days are gone.

Imagine heading out and the first leg is a 10 mile run to a channel Marker. The turn and head 15 or 20 miles to find another mark. Some races were run in fog. Even on a clear day the turn points were well out of range of site.

I am sure there are members here to add more.

smokeybandit
10-13-2009, 03:12 PM
I wouldn't know. I always got us lost.

Perlmudder
10-13-2009, 04:13 PM
its that much cooler that they did not use gps. seems like gps takes a lot of the skill out of it.

smokeybandit
10-13-2009, 04:30 PM
If you look at this video you can see the charts taped to the dash. Each of us had our own chart. That we we had 3 sets of eyes making sure we were going in the right direction. We also used tape as lap counters. Long laps would be longer pieces of tape and each piece was numbered. Even with doing all of that, there were some very rough races where you weren't totally sure if you made all of the laps. I remember running an extra lap in Northport just to be sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjDZ9JsZz-0

Pete B
10-13-2009, 04:41 PM
Heck even on the short courses of today they get lost, and play follow the leader.

Gladhe8er
10-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Back in the 80's my Dad was the driver and navigator. It was all about charts and the compass. He definitely got lost a few times and his throttle man let him hear it. Today, even without a GPS it would be hard to get lost because the laps are usually 6-8 miles long. They were 30-60 miles long 25 years ago.

DollaBill
10-13-2009, 04:54 PM
The old fashioned way LOL like i learned way back when a Lowrance Loran was the amazing

Sean Stinson
10-13-2009, 04:57 PM
If you look at this video you can see the charts taped to the dash. Each of us had our own chart. That we we had 3 sets of eyes making sure we were going in the right direction. We also used tape as lap counters. Long laps would be longer pieces of tape and each piece was numbered. Even with doing all of that, there were some very rough races where you weren't totally sure if you made all of the laps. I remember running an extra lap in Northport just to be sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjDZ9JsZz-0

Charts on the dash were pretty much a mandatory thing if you were going to properly navigate anything...

Dunbar 104
10-13-2009, 06:28 PM
So if you got lost or of course how did you figure out where to go next? Call it a day and hope to head towards shore?

Ratickle
10-13-2009, 06:44 PM
So if you got lost or of course how did you figure out where to go next? Call it a day and hope to head towards shore?

Hopefully they found land before running out of fuel.....:sifone:

glassdave
10-13-2009, 09:06 PM
Freeze Frame Jeff was telling me a story about one of the early Point Pleasant races and was talking about a navigator from back in the day (name slips me at the moment) that was regaurded as the best in the biz. At any rate on this perticular day the weather and visibility was less then perfect and most of the field decided to just follow this perticular team and try and make a move toward the end with the finish in sight. Realizing this they took the entire field way off course and faked a breakdown. After all the boats went by, thinking they were headed in the right direction, they simply fired the boat back up and turned back to the correct course/heading. Classic stuff right there :D

When Rob and i did the Bimini race i decided to leave the gps off and navigate on compass to find the turn bouy. Felt way more comfortable doing it that way, learned basic navigation long ago. My thought was if gps goes out you now have zero referance to where you are at.

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-13-2009, 09:26 PM
So Dave, how did you do?

After doing that run I was humbled and learned a new level of respect and appreciation for navigation. I can't even begin to imagine how difficult it would be with out a GPS.

Head straight out for 50 miles and find a pillow.

Perlmudder
10-13-2009, 09:31 PM
freeze frame jeff was telling me a story about one of the early point pleasant races and was talking about a navigator from back in the day (name slips me at the moment) that was regaurded as the best in the biz. At any rate on this perticular day the weather and visibility was less then perfect and most of the field decided to just follow this perticular team and try and make a move toward the end with the finish in sight. Realizing this they took the entire field way off course and faked a breakdown. After all the boats went by, thinking they were headed in the right direction, they simply fired the boat back up and turned back to the correct course/heading. Classic stuff right there :d

check....mate!

glassdave
10-13-2009, 10:08 PM
So Dave, how did you do?

After doing that run I was humbled and learned a new level of respect and appreciation for navigation. I can't even begin to imagine how difficult it would be with out a GPS.

Head straight out for 50 miles and find a pillow.

we nailed it dead nuts. I have an inherant distrust of GPS, always have. I use them for general referance only. Tell ya the truth the coolest part of the race was loosing sight of land. One of the problems with running a gps on a straight out and back race like that is everyone is doing the same thing. Leave from point A, hit point B, turn around and go back to point A. Everyones course ends up being almost identicle and the faster boats coming in following their earlier track tend to be heading right into the outgoing boats. You need to follow off track slightly on the return leg.

phragle
10-13-2009, 10:46 PM
you had to be good at math.. if you are going 50 miles at 90 degrees and the current is running at 7 degrees and 4 knots...you calculate the diviation needed on your compass heading which would vary by speed.... that would be dealing with the gulf stream.. or say you know the heading for the first turn bouy is 72 degrees and it is 15 miles away...you think you are going 60 mph heading 72 degrees..so if you arent at the bouy in 15 minutes...you f'd up

glassdave
10-13-2009, 11:15 PM
you had to be good at math.. if you are going 50 miles at 90 degrees and the current is running at 7 degrees and 4 knots...you calculate the diviation needed on your compass heading which would vary by speed.... that would be dealing with the gulf stream.. or say you know the heading for the first turn bouy is 72 degrees and it is 15 miles away...you think you are going 60 mph heading 72 degrees..so if you arent at the bouy in 15 minutes...you f'd up

tell ya the truth i looked over the maps and location of the turn pin the night before. Guestimated on a heading taking into account for the gulf stream, it was only fifty miles and conditions were flat ( a nice constant). We also could see Genos rooster tail ahead of us for miles so that kinda helped to :D

great signature line Rob, you need to hang out with us more often. Think i may have a get together at the lake house pretty soon. I'll let ya know :D

phragle
10-14-2009, 12:03 AM
cool deal, with school I have everyotherweekend off of work, that gives me one day every two weeks to cut loose :)

THEJOKER
10-14-2009, 03:51 AM
I never used a GPS while racing. Quick homework on the parade lap and lap tapes were the norm. How many times did we get to the last lap and try and figure if we pull the tape and keep going or we were done? haha

Sean Stinson
10-14-2009, 07:40 AM
I never used a GPS while racing. Quick homework on the parade lap and lap tapes were the norm. How many times did we get to the last lap and try and figure if we pull the tape and keep going or we were done? haha

Everytime we ran out of gas on the last lap we knew we forgot to pull a tape!

:sifone::sifone::sifone:

Ted
10-14-2009, 09:29 AM
Great race story from when we raced in the Chesapeake Bay. Halfway through the race a turn boat calls in and says about 6 race boats just passed him. So race control says thanks and nothing more. So the turn boat calls in again, same thing. So race com says "There will be boats passing you all day". The boat calls back in and says "Yeah, but I am outside the North end of the course and they passed me going North." When they hit a town on the far side of the Bay they realized their mistake and turned around, took them about 30 miles out of their way. :D

DAREDEVIL
10-14-2009, 09:36 AM
Great race story from when we raced in the Chesapeake Bay. Halfway through the race a turn boat calls in and says about 6 race boats just passed him. So race control says thanks and nothing more. So the turn boat calls in again, same thing. So race com says "There will be boats passing you all day". The boat calls back in and says "Yeah, but I am outside the North end of the course and they passed me going North." When they hit a town on the far side of the Bay they realized their mistake and turned around, took them about 30 miles out of their way. :D

And like most of the time "follow the leader" LOL

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-14-2009, 10:02 AM
There are many follow the leader off course stories. My first experience was in Miami in '90. The start headed north up the beach. Everybody in the first start followed Mandy Fernandez off course. We were in the second start and everybody but one missed first turn. As it worked out it was in the surf and very hard to see in 6 to 8's. The slowest boat in our class won... Jamaican Bobsled was the winner in B that day. I remember briefly seeing a coast guard guy jumping and pointing. I saw the boat he was pointing at but now pillow. It was my first season at National events.. Learned a good lesson that day.

RACESDAD
10-16-2009, 12:29 AM
thats was my first job in a boat. you actually had to know how to read a chart and plot a course. and if you were off a little you were lost sometimes. ask rique ford and the corpus christi oil rig