PDA

View Full Version : making a new engine hatch

bajabob 718
10-12-2009, 07:23 PM
ok mine is made out of wood. i like to make it out of some better that will not rot. ???

DAREDEVIL
10-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Plasticore !!!!!!!

glassdave
10-12-2009, 10:17 PM
is it flat or does it have a convex shape to it?

Ratickle
10-12-2009, 10:28 PM
I'm real curious on this one as well. On the Empress we used an aluminum sheet and screwed treated plywood to it with the cushions/upholtery attached to the plywood backer first.

On the Black Thunder, I'm thinking of trying a similar setup except use endgrain balsa on the aluminum to save weight over the stock fiberglass setup.

So,......

Offshore Ginger
10-12-2009, 10:33 PM
is it flat or does it have a convex shape to it? I think what Dave is asking when he says convex issssssssssssssssssss does the hatch have a crown ? I also would like to know how light would you like to make your hatch because on your boat it most likely takes two people to lift it on the boat .

Offshore Ginger
10-12-2009, 10:55 PM
I'm real curious on this one as well. On the Empress we used an aluminum sheet and screwed treated plywood to it with the cushions/upholtery attached to the plywood backer first.

On the Black Thunder, I'm thinking of trying a similar setup except use endgrain balsa on the aluminum to save weight over the stock fiberglass setup.

So,...... R T you really need to get with me on this one and show me some pics along with your ideas or maybe this can be something we can put together this fall or winter maybe even this spring and you do the work if thats what you want ............... Artie

glassdave
10-12-2009, 11:00 PM
I think what Dave is asking when he says convex issssssssssssssssssss does the hatch have a crown ? I also would like to know how light would you like to make your hatch because on your boat it most likely takes two people to lift it on the boat .

thats what convex is Artie

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/convex

Offshore Ginger
10-12-2009, 11:15 PM
thats what convex is Artie

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/convex Dave , no kidding ha ha ha ha , http // dictionary . reference . com /browse / crown " make it stupid simple because most people to not care to look at the dictionary to see what you are talking about .

Ratickle
10-12-2009, 11:19 PM
You're wrong Artie. Most people ignore what Dave says.....:sifone:....:sifone:

glassdave
10-12-2009, 11:40 PM
pretty sure most people know what convex is . . . . cept you Artie. You better hang on to that link so you can look up some of the other words i post. Maybe i should have put "convex and hollow . . . like your head" lol

Paul . . . its impossible to ignore me . . . though they may try :D

Ratickle
10-13-2009, 07:06 AM
Paul . . . its impossible to ignore me . . . though they may try :D

:rofl: :sifone: :rofl:

Offshore Ginger
10-13-2009, 01:14 PM
pretty sure most people know what convex is . . . . cept you Artie. You better hang on to that link so you can look up some of the other words i post. Maybe i should have put "convex and hollow . . . like your head" lol

Paul . . . its impossible to ignore me . . . though they may try :DOr upside yours .

bajabob 718
10-13-2009, 03:37 PM
it is flat 45 in by 75 in

Trim'd Up
10-13-2009, 09:06 PM
I am getting ready to finish mine this winter. I used 2 layers of 1/2" Divyncell H80 (I have it left over) laminated together with a strip of 1/2" plywood around the edge to staple the vinyl to. I plan on covering it with a couple layers of 1708. It should be plenty strong and light. Are you trying to save weight or just avoid rot? If you just want to avoid rot just use plywood and coat it with resin.

insanity
10-13-2009, 10:53 PM
I am getting ready to finish mine this winter. I used 2 layers of 1/2" Divyncell H80 (I have it left over) laminated together with a strip of 1/2" plywood around the edge to staple the vinyl to. I plan on covering it with a couple layers of 1708. It should be plenty strong and light. Are you trying to save weight or just avoid rot? If you just want to avoid rot just use plywood and coat it with resin.

Interesting. Got any pics?

bajabob 718
10-14-2009, 03:21 PM
manly the rot the boat is going fast for me. this is the 3 hatch . i got the boat 1988 i am having the cover made to snap on . thanks

Griff
10-14-2009, 05:13 PM
Have you been sealing the wood with resin in the past attempts??????? If its sealed correctly it should not rot.

Trim'd Up
10-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Interesting. Got any pics?

I just have the Divyncell laminated and the plywood glued on right now. I will finish it this winter.