PDA

View Full Version : Snow possible this weekend... Winterization questions.

baddogz28
10-09-2009, 03:55 PM
I haven't had time to winterize Bad Bishop yet and am concerned about the chilly temps for this weekend...

Anything I should do to safeguard against any damage to the boat or motor since it hasn't yet been winterized?

(and no, I won't have time to do it before then. :( )

Ratickle
10-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Not gonna get cold enough to worry about. But, if you are really concerned. Put two 100 watt bulbs on old lamps or drop cords in the bilge. If outside, make sure you have a tarp or cover over the air vents. If inside, don't even worry about that. If you throw a cheap thermometer in there you will see it will stay at above 50 degrees in 30 degree weather.....

Offshore Ginger
10-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Not gonna get cold enough to worry about. But, if you are really concerned. Put two 100 watt bulbs on old lamps or drop cords in the bilge. If outside, make sure you have a tarp or cover over the air vents. If inside, don't even worry about that. If you throw a cheap thermometer in there you will see it will stay at above 50 degrees in 30 degree weather.....R T you sound like you did this before .:rofl::rofl:

baddogz28
10-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Not gonna get cold enough to worry about. But, if you are really concerned. Put two 100 watt bulbs on old lamps or drop cords in the bilge. If outside, make sure you have a tarp or cover over the air vents. If inside, don't even worry about that. If you throw a cheap thermometer in there you will see it will stay at above 50 degrees in 30 degree weather.....

Thanks man. It's outside so I think I'll do the 100w bulbs in the bilge.

redhotsommer
10-09-2009, 04:48 PM
Chris...just pull the block drains...little plastic blue wingnuts just under the bank of plugs...might be a couple my your exhaust manifolds as well. Absolutely no worries then.

Davidmnc
10-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Snow boating, If they are running they will not freeze!!!!

OBNOXUS
10-09-2009, 05:26 PM
got alot of time to worry about that.

Scarab KV
10-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Won't be cold long enough to worry. 2-3 days of hard freeze in the 20's before you need to be concerned.
If you want peace of mind, do as Paul said and drop a work light in the bilge. It'll keep it in the 70's.

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Won't be cold long enough to worry. 2-3 days of hard freeze in the 20's before you need to be concerned.
If you want peace of mind, do as Paul said and drop a work light in the bilge. It'll keep it in the 70's.

8-!2 hours below freezing is when it is time to be worried. Fresh water systems freeze first. 2-3 days below freezing damage is done.

Scarab KV
10-09-2009, 08:13 PM
8-!2 hours below freezing is when it is time to be worried. Fresh water systems freeze first. 2-3 days below freezing damage is done.

I may have worded that wrong. I've never been too concerned until it gets close to the teens over night. When it gets in the high 20's at night and back in the 30's during the day it's not below freezing long enough to hurt anything. An engine block will warm up faster with the temperature then it will cool down. We do some late Fall boating, so I usually don't winterize until the 1st or 2nd week of November. If we get a few nights that are gonna get into the low 20's, I drop a light.

MILD THUNDER
10-09-2009, 08:35 PM
I still would sleep better at night knowing my headers are drained and blocks. Chris, you may not have the plastic "blue" drains Mike is talking about, more than likely you will have a brass bolt or wingnut on the sides of the block above the oil pan lip below the freeze plugs.....then you can pull the hoses off the bottom of the manifolds and drain them. Also, keep in mind when you remove the plugs on the sides of the blocks, be sure to stick a coat hanger in the hole because they often get plugged up with sand and water wont fully drain. Dont forget to drain the oil cooler too

Trim'd Up
10-09-2009, 10:01 PM
It's not going to be that cold. We put one of those fancy thermometers that record temps in my buddies bilge outside when the temps dropped to the mid 20's overnight but in the 40's during the day and it never dropped below 34.

ICDEDPPL
10-10-2009, 09:36 PM
I saw an electric oil dip stick at Murreys, thought that might be a good idea to keep the motor warm.. yeah too bad it`s too short. so I got a tiny heater in there just to be sure

Ratickle
10-10-2009, 10:23 PM
R T you sound like you did this before .:rofl::rofl:

Ya think??????:sifone: