PDA

View Full Version : Be a Mentor!

Edward R. Cozzi
11-09-2008, 05:33 PM
I have been many things in my life, some good, some not so good, but I have to tell you that one of the most satisfying things I've ever done was to become a mentor.

If you can spare an hour a week to just sit and talk with a young person that may need nothing more in his life than to know that somebody cares what he thinks. To think that you can make a difference in some young mans life is a great feeling and a major contribution to a better society. Many of my proteges have no male role-model in their lives. Sometimes just a little respect and attitude adjustment is all these kids need.

Check with the guidance office in a middle school near you and ask about their mentoring program. You will be screened, which will eliminate most of you guys, but it is worth a try. (LOL).

fund razor
11-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Great thread Ed.

A lot of our people (Ladies and Gentlemen both) would be good mentors.

Edward R. Cozzi
11-09-2008, 07:20 PM
It's a great program. Some of these young people just need a little nudge in the right direction. It doesn't hurt that I am white either. These kids grow-up very distrustful of white people.

The teachers and guidance counselors do a great job of deciding what kids might benefit from a mentor. They are all different. One young man and I didn't connect right away and he would barely talk to me. When he saw I never gave up on him and was there every week just for him, he started to take notice. Nobody ever asked him the the stuff I did about his future and goals. When he realized that I actually cared about him and was not there to lecture him, he turned right around.

stecz20
11-10-2008, 01:31 AM
i want lubejobs to mentor me...:26::26:

my buddy did this ed, we would bring the kid to yankee games and he had a blast.. he was from newark nj and his famiy life was well, he had none... as soon as he was with us he let his guard down and acted like a kid.. it was cool.... i often think about him, i wonder what he is doing today... this had to be 8 yrs ago.....

good stuff...

MarineClean
11-10-2008, 02:26 AM
Good thread Ed!!

I've taken it somewhat of a step further. I hire my employees while their in High School. Most of them start with us at around 14, so the world hasn't warped them to much yet. I teach them an honest day's work and plant the seed of an excellent work ethic. Most of the kids come from a small, low income community, so the extra amount I pay them helps allot. We take some of them on trips with us to different events and you would be surprised how many have never been out of the state. We've got two in College now and a few that graduate HS next year and everyone is on the Honor Roll! My wife came up with the idea of having a financial incentive for good grades and it's worked great!

Our kids are great and I wouldn't trade them for anything!!

Donnie

fund razor
11-10-2008, 07:01 AM
When you think about it, with such a deficit in the parenting department in so many families.... I have often wondered what the impact on society would be if we each just saved one kid by modeling the behaviors and attributes that were modeled for us.

Sea-Dated
11-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Great thread and great job Ed.

Edward R. Cozzi
11-10-2008, 12:45 PM
It's funny, but I had to be talked into doing it originally and now I'm one of its biggest advocates. One of the best things is getting to know the parent(s). Sometimes I have been able to make a major impact on a struggling family by simply rebuilding a frikken' carburetor! My cost? A $24.00 carb kit and about 2 hours of my time.

I met a young woman who has six children, no husband, no child support, gets food stamps and aid from the state. She now gets her auto repairs free and I always fill her tank before I return the vehicle. Such a little thing and it has a major impact. The kids are so adorable, I love them. Even the baby laughs when he sees me and wants me to pick him up out of the stroller. You can't buy the warmth I feel from this family.

DollaBill
11-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Sign me up Ed.

(not a freekin word from the peanut gallery!!)

fund razor
11-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Sign me up Ed.

(not a freekin word from the peanut gallery!!)

This is killing me. You know that, right? :D

DollaBill
11-10-2008, 03:04 PM
This is killing me. You know that, right? :D

LOL. I'm sure. Ok, you can bust my stones

RumRunner
11-26-2008, 10:14 AM
I know I have (as I'm sure most of you have had) some really good mentors, and role models through out my life. Where will these kids or society be if we don't give back?

Davidmnc
11-26-2008, 11:29 AM
Good thread Ed!!

I've taken it somewhat of a step further. I hire my employees while their in High School. Most of them start with us at around 14, so the world hasn't warped them to much yet. I teach them an honest day's work and plant the seed of an excellent work ethic. Most of the kids come from a small, low income community, so the extra amount I pay them helps allot. We take some of them on trips with us to different events and you would be surprised how many have never been out of the state. We've got two in College now and a few that graduate HS next year and everyone is on the Honor Roll! My wife came up with the idea of having a financial incentive for good grades and it's worked great!

Our kids are great and I wouldn't trade them for anything!!

Donnie

:hurray: This is a great way to help the young people in your comunity! Much respect!

Audiofn
10-05-2009, 04:07 PM
TTT

But in Marine Cleans case they are all illegal mexicans!! :D:D

Gladhe8er
10-05-2009, 04:23 PM
My aunt and uncle were mentors to this one teenager from Queens. When he came to visit them in CT, on day 2 he snapped and broke into one of their cars and ripped the dash and all the trim apart. I was supposed to bring him on an ATV ride the next day. needless to say that did not happen.

JupiterSunsation
10-05-2009, 04:37 PM
i want lubejobs to mentor me...:26::26:

my buddy did this ed, we would bring the kid to yankee games and he had a blast.. he was from newark nj and his famiy life was well, he had none... as soon as he was with us he let his guard down and acted like a kid.. it was cool.... i often think about him, i wonder what he is doing today... this had to be 8 yrs ago.....

good stuff...

today he probably is doing time.......:26:

old377guy
10-05-2009, 07:24 PM
It can be pretty aggravating and disappointing and may never be worth what we think WE'RE going to get out of it - but the idea is what we put into it and THEY get out of it.