PDA

View Full Version : Ernest kanzler 1972 rum run

nocigarette
10-04-2009, 09:09 AM
A blast from the past for a select few of you guys.....I am looking for pics and info on the maurader boats built buy Kenzler......A crazy canadian friend of mine has his boat he won the 1972 rum run with and he wants a top notch restoration done on it ... i am gathering pics and information about the boat to hep us with the rebuild of the boat....Ant info at all would help....Thanks again....

nocigarette
10-04-2009, 09:12 AM
few more.....We really need shots of the engine and interior..He wants the boat put back period correct.....Kanzler at the ripe age of 74 made a trip across the country to come see his old boat....

Ratickle
10-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Wow, cool project.

Make sure T2x, Black Tornado, and TopBanana see this thread.

phragle
10-04-2009, 12:34 PM
that might be the info I was looking for too..were they production boats?? All I remember was that being a young kid my uncle borrowed a friends boat and took me out in it.. it was a decent sized vee wit twin 454's and was yellow and was a marauder..would have been mid 70's time frame...

J-Bonz
10-04-2009, 09:48 PM
Great project!! That is one cool boat!
Jr.

h2oMag
10-05-2009, 12:55 AM
A blast from the past for a select few of you guys.....I am looking for pics and info on the maurader boats built buy Kenzler......A crazy canadian friend of mine has his boat he won the 1972 rum run with and he wants a top notch restoration done on it ... i am gathering pics and information about the boat to hep us with the rebuild of the boat....Ant info at all would help....Thanks again....

Mike here is the info on Mauraders that I posted before, I will keep looking if there is any more...

nocigarette
10-05-2009, 05:47 AM
Thanks mark, I am also looking for a good glass guy that is familiar with restorations of old boats.....East coast, preferably in michigan..

Dude! Sweet!
10-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Don't see much west coast history. Very cool boat. Is Kanzler still in Costa Mesa?

Black Tornado
10-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Really interesting because the only Marauders that I knew were those of Merril during the War in the Pacific.
I am always happy that a truth Offshore Classic is preserved. But unfortunately I cannot be of help with images or info.

nocigarette
10-10-2009, 04:40 PM
Don't see much west coast history. Very cool boat. Is Kanzler still in Costa Mesa?

i spoke with Kanzlers Ex-son in law and he said he and his young girlfriend are in Rio somewhere....Crazy life this guy led...Really way ahaed of his time...

MikeyFIN
10-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Sounds like my kinda guy...

twocents
10-11-2009, 08:10 PM
I remember Ernie's 22' Marauder race boat quite well. It was 22' because that was POPBRA's length maximum for that particular class. Powered with a 482 MerCruiser and a speedmaster drive. Top speed was 72 to 74 mph. Good rough water boat for its size. Ernie had some great competition with the Bill Vogel family (running a custom built 22-foot Schiada with the same power). Ernie was an interesting guy -- very innovative. I wonder what ever happened to the Marauder he cut down the centerline, re-decked it, making a cat out of a vee-bottom? Several of his stock cabin cruiser Marauders ran in POPBRA races (the Jim Solum family) in the early and mid-1970s.

Ratickle
10-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Thanks mark, I am also looking for a good glass guy that is familiar with restorations of old boats.....East coast, preferably in michigan..

I would PM Artie, Offshore Ginger, and GlassDave, and see what they think. Artie is here in Holland, Dave just south of Michigan.