PDA

View Full Version : Ford SuperDuty mechanic input please.

Sydwayz
10-03-2009, 12:48 AM
I'll post this on TheDieselStop.com too, but I also value the board's input.

I have a 2000 7.3L PSD Ford with the 4spd Auto/OD transmission. The truck has 101,500 miles.

As of the past few months, the gear shift mechanism just hasn't felt "right". About 50% of the time when in park, I have to jiggle the shifter to get the 'park safety switch' to catch so I can engage the starter when I turn the key. And just about every gear doesn't 'catch' where the selector seams to have an indent in it's rotation.

The other day, I put the truck in Park in my driveway, and jumped out to go move something in the barn. Imagine my surprise when I get 10 feet behind the truck and notice the Reverse lights are on, and they are getting BIGGER. The truck was backing itself into the barn without me. No damage done, but I don't think I have run that fast in... well forever. Not only had it not caught the Parking gear, but it was actually in Reverse gear. Twice when I put it in Park, I can shut off the truck, and remove the key, and it's not fully into the Parking gear, and the truck rolls and clicks jumping teeth until I jam it fully into the Parking gear.

I had my generalist mechanic look at it yesterday, and he can't see anything wrong nor can he see any adjustments that can be made. But he's not a Ford truck tech; just a generalist for when the truck was in for some preventative maintenance and state inspection.

Is this in my steering column? I'm now religiously setting the Emergency brake, but I want my confidence in my transmission/shifter.

Any help or things I can look for would be super appreciated.

Bgchuby01
10-03-2009, 10:34 AM
call me, I used to be in the transmission business in miami years ago, I have something for you to try 909-816-1101, I can;t find your number

Blue Oval
10-03-2009, 10:43 AM
Had a customer last year with a 99 F-250 7.3L, parked out in front of garage,truck running,dropped into rev.,did a half moon and backed into a customer who just bought a used Explorer just a few days before. I'am pretty sure it was in the linkage, I'll see if my memory will last till Monday and I will asked my tran. tech what it was.

Blue Oval
10-03-2009, 10:44 AM
Send me a message Monday if I don't post anything by noon.

phragle
10-03-2009, 10:47 AM
didnt ford have a problem years ago with trannies jumping into reverse from park all by themselves??

Sydwayz
10-03-2009, 11:35 AM
I actually found something on TDS. There are two torx bolts in the shift linkage in the column that come loose. I'm going to check them today. Hopefully that's the ticket. Thanks everyone.

Seltzer
10-03-2009, 01:10 PM
I actually found something on TDS. There are two torx bolts in the shift linkage in the column that come loose. I'm going to check them today. Hopefully that's the ticket. Thanks everyone.

My tow trucks have had the same problem for years. I repair a couple a year.
Fairly easy to jam your head down there and tighten the torx bolts.

Mine usually wear out on top of the column.
If its not the loose bolts you need to drop the column, remove the plastic around the ignition switch, then the ignition switch. the shifter is held in place by two brackets with the same torx bolts as on the bottom of the column. Once you have it apart wiggle the shifter and you will see where the problem is.

If the shifter has alot of play, its either the plastic pieces that are under those clamps are worn out, or the shaft is broken. Either way you will need to go to ford and order new parts.
I have it down to about 15 min's.
If my rambling doesnt make sense call me.

Sick Sting
10-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Yup i have an 02 that has that problem shifter feels sopps at times. Also when you do it look at this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!pay attention!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!: Look at the over drive wires and make sure they are not frey'd if so fix them ASAP if not it will pop number 25 fuse 15 amp under dash and you wil loss the cluster and your throttle and you have to pull the colum covers down ans move the wires away from the colum so they dont ground out and pop the fuse again. Happend to me couple times.
-Mike

Sydwayz
10-04-2009, 02:18 AM
It was just the two torx bolts on the end of the shift mechanism underneath the dash/column. They didn't look loose, but they were both loose when I put a wrench to them.

Thanks for all the help!

Blue Oval
10-04-2009, 10:00 AM
great, good job!

Seltzer
10-04-2009, 11:40 AM
It was just the two torx bolts on the end of the shift mechanism underneath the dash/column. They didn't look loose, but they were both loose when I put a wrench to them.

Thanks for all the help!

Cool. I think they are spring loaded.

wannabe
10-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Sydwayz: Remember FORD = fix or repair daily.

:26:

Wannabe

Sydwayz
10-04-2009, 06:43 PM

Wannabe

That's why I have one of each now, and am getting rid of my Lexus. I love the Lexus, but every time it needs work it's $500-$3500 bucks!

Seltzer
10-04-2009, 08:52 PM
That's why I have one of each now, and am getting rid of my Lexus. I love the Lexus, but every time it needs work it's $500-$3500 bucks!

What lexus do you have.

Sydwayz
10-04-2009, 10:33 PM
1999 Black GS300--for sale.

Blue Oval
10-05-2009, 08:14 AM
First on race day!(ford)

Seltzer
10-06-2009, 12:36 AM
1999 Black GS300--for sale.

Susan wants a sc 430.

Sydwayz
10-06-2009, 07:52 AM
Susan wants a sc 430.

I have a sawzall and a gold Sharpie. Let me know. :D

Magic Medicine
10-08-2009, 03:35 PM

Wannabe

keeps me employed:sifone:

Brian saw this a little late I was going to ask my tech at work but sounds like its a done deal. If you need any Ford help shoot me a PM

fixxxer22
02-23-2010, 01:11 PM
I'll post this on TheDieselStop.com too, but I also value the board's input.

I have a 2000 7.3L PSD Ford with the 4spd Auto/OD transmission. The truck has 101,500 miles.

As of the past few months, the gear shift mechanism just hasn't felt "right". About 50% of the time when in park, I have to jiggle the shifter to get the 'park safety switch' to catch so I can engage the starter when I turn the key. And just about every gear doesn't 'catch' where the selector seams to have an indent in it's rotation.

The other day, I put the truck in Park in my driveway, and jumped out to go move something in the barn. Imagine my surprise when I get 10 feet behind the truck and notice the Reverse lights are on, and they are getting BIGGER. The truck was backing itself into the barn without me. No damage done, but I don't think I have run that fast in... well forever. Not only had it not caught the Parking gear, but it was actually in Reverse gear. Twice when I put it in Park, I can shut off the truck, and remove the key, and it's not fully into the Parking gear, and the truck rolls and clicks jumping teeth until I jam it fully into the Parking gear.

I had my generalist mechanic look at it yesterday, and he can't see anything wrong nor can he see any adjustments that can be made. But he's not a Ford truck tech; just a generalist for when the truck was in for some preventative maintenance and state inspection.

Is this in my steering column? I'm now religiously setting the Emergency brake, but I want my confidence in my transmission/shifter.

Any help or things I can look for would be super appreciated.

I did not read the entire thread but superdutys have a bad problem of the linkage bolts comming loose at the column. they also wear the shift shaft bushings alot. follow the cableup under the dash you will see a gold looking bracket there are two torx bolts in it that may be loose. after that i would just replace the shift shaft bushings. let me know if you still need help

BDiggity
02-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Yup i have an 02 that has that problem shifter feels sopps at times. Also when you do it look at this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!pay attention!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!: Look at the over drive wires and make sure they are not frey'd if so fix them ASAP if not it will pop number 25 fuse 15 amp under dash and you wil loss the cluster and your throttle and you have to pull the colum covers down ans move the wires away from the colum so they dont ground out and pop the fuse again. Happend to me couple times.
-Mike

This happened on my uncle's 00 350 when i borrowed it once. it was running, but all gauges, & accelerator were dead. Everyone kept telling me i ran it out of gas & would need to get it towed to dealer for fix. kept telling them the damn thing is running! finally called my uncle & he said check the fuses. They noticed a couple times that this would happen but they didnt know why. he later said they found the wires were frey'd in the column & when putting in gear, it could cause them to ground & short. I now know its something to look for when i eventually buy one of those years.

fixxxer22
02-23-2010, 01:56 PM
Also the fuel heater can short in the fuel filter basin and cause the same concern also

Sydwayz
02-23-2010, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the updated posts guys. I did get my issue fixed. It was the two torx bolts that were loose under the column in the shifter mechanism.

MarylandMark
02-23-2010, 04:04 PM
Susan wants a sc 430.

Just to keep with the updates on this thread, I hear Susan has a new Lexus as well...