PDA

View Full Version : Cat Insurance - Enough is Enough!

Joe
10-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Guys, Here's the message I just replied to Elton Porter re: my Cat insurance and our conversation last year regarding, 'Joe, I know it's high... just pay it this year and we'll try to really do something about it next year.' Needless to say, my premium didn't go down, as expected.

out of all of the people/entities i do business, Markel/*** etc... is/are the only group whom I do not appreciate/enjoy doing business (giving my money) -- regardless of the premium(s). nearly every cat owner who is insured by EP that i've spoken with is of the same opinion.

no 'one' scenerio makes sense. eg. a first time boater, who has hooked a 38' 700 Merc. Fountain, severely damaged the boat and passengers, then purchased a 42' 700 Merc. Fountain and then was quoted a similar rate to mine to insure MY SKATER if he purchased it!

not to mention this person would be using the boat at a minimum, 75-100 hrs. per year vs. my 20-30. you don't have to be a rocket scientist to determine who's the higher risk, do you?

...not to mention, i, on my own, brought my cat to JT and had him/Lupe/TnT completely go thru the boat prior to taking it on it's first poker run... then spent several hours with JT, showing me exactly where the 'edge' and/or 'limits' of the boat was/were.... so i knew when danger was near/approaching (in advance) vs. trying to navigate 'thru' danger after i was already in it. i think it's fair to say i have received TONS more knowledge from JT than one could imagine getting from Tres and/or Brad (not that either of them are bad--- but rather, thank goodness there is someone out there, are of their quality (multi-time world and nat'l champs) that has chosen to make the time for 'the majority').

on top of that, prior to my cat leaving the Factory, JT took both Bruce and me out in a friend's (Chris J's) 410 Skater (whom EP also insures --- for **k annual premium), teaching both Bruce and me to look/see things/danger that most never even recognize until they're in the middle of it --- in one of the roughest boating waters in the country; Lake Michigan.

being the 'only' choice in anything does not necessitate taking advantage of the situation, leaving your clientele feeling as if it's a 'flip of the coin' to determine insurance rates. at the end of the day... i am unhappy over 2k. i think it's safe to say we all make well in excess of 2k just during the time frame it took me to type this message -- it's about my (the client's) experience.... and, as previously stated, i haven't found one happy, or even satisfied, cat client. it's time to raise the bar and learn to separate/make a distinction between your 'higher' risk clientele, which we all are, running 140+ mph, and your 'rookie/dangerous/DWI/Drunk out of their minds at every event' clientele... and adjust the premiums accordingly.

take this to your Marine Director. i would be very interested in his response. at this point, if there were another reputable cat insurance choice, i would take it in a minute. enough is enough.

Regards,

Joe Pandak