PDA

View Full Version : Victory looking to repeat in Italy

Sean H
10-01-2009, 05:08 PM
http://www.victoryteam.ae/news_detail.asp?id=68

Stresa (ITALY): Fazza Class 1 powerboat crew Nadir Bin Hindi and Arif Al Zafeen will be aiming to complete a second Italian Job in a fortnight when they line up for the Italian Grand Prix on Lake Maggiore in Stresa this weekend.

Two weeks ago, Bin Hindi and Al Zafeen wrapped up the UIM Class 3 (Six Litre) crown with a 100% record in the three-race series staged at Nettuno near Rome. And as the Class 1 World Powerboat Championship makes a welcome return to Italian waters for the first time since 2002, the Fazza 3 crew will be confident that they can lift the European Championship for the sixth time in the Victory Team’s history.

Al Zafeen - who won the European title in 2007 alongside Jean-Marc Sanchez - and Bin Hindi lead the World Championship standings and hold a seven-point advantage over their teammates and main challengers Mohammed Al Mehairi and Sanchez in the European title race.

As at the previous Class 1 race weekend in Romania, two races will be staged with the first on Saturday (Oct 3) followed by the second 24 hours later. With a maximum 40 points on offer, neither outfit will be complacent and will remember last year when a broken propeller robbed the team of the title, losing out to Jotun's Inge Brigt Aarbakke and Jorn Tandberg, by a single point.

“I don’t think I’ve ever been as frustrated as I was when we lost the European title by just one point,” said Bin Hindi, a former jet ski world champion who also now holds both the Class 3 and Class 1 world powerboat titles.

“But that’s why you can never take anything for granted in this sport. Arif and I may be on a great run right now but it only takes a lapse in concentration or a faulty part to bring that run to an end. We need to be as focused as the boat’s mechanical crew if we are to stay the course and lift the world title in Dubai in December.”

Victory 1 throttleman Sanchez is eager to take his second win of the season and to win back the European title. To do it, the Frenchman and rookie Mohammad Al Mehairi have to beat Fazza.

“Arif and Nadir is a very strong partnership already and their potential is huge,” said Sanchez. “They have a great relationship and on the perfect day and with no problems, they are hard - almost impossible - to beat. Mohammad and I are not at that level yet. Every race we improve, we give our best, but it will be very hard to beat Fazza.”

If they are to stand any chance of out-pacing Fazza, Sanchez believes the start is where they must grab the advantage to help overturn the seven points deficit. “In terms of performance there is not a great difference between our boats. Fazza is a good all round boat - in flat or rough conditions - my boat is better in rougher water and can be difficult to set-up in flat conditions.

“As in most races these days, it will all be down to the start, as we showed in Arendal. If we are in front at the first corner we will be difficult to pass and to some degree can control the race, but we have to make that good start.”

Sean H
10-02-2009, 01:06 PM
FAZZA QUICKEST AS MARITIMO CLOSE THE GAP
Friday, 2 October, STRESA (Italy): The return of Class 1 powerboat racing to Italian waters saw the current World Championship leaders Fazza set the pace in today’s official practice session for this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix, round 4 of the UIM-WPPA Class 1 World Powerboat Championship. Hot on their heels, Australian outfit Maritimo, showed their continuing promise with a fantastic set of laps to post the second quickest time ahead of Victory 1.

European and World Championship leaders, Fazza’s Arif Al Zafeen and Nadir Bin Hendi, dominated proceedings in the session, showing their rivals that despite the altitude and flat waters they are still the boat to beat here on Lake Maggiore. Their time of 2mins 35.51secs, almost two seconds faster than their nearest rival, demonstrating their intent to lift the first trophy of the season. "This is my first time racing at this altitude. It makes the engine sound different at top speed and you have to tune your ear to get used to it, so not to push too hard," said Bin Hendi, before adding, "We are here to win both races and with them the European Championship."

An impressive session for Maritimo saw them put together a string of fast lap-times just off the pace of the Championship leaders. With the flat waters and long corners suiting their raceboat, and after changing gear ratios and propellers, Tom Barry-Cotter and Pal Nilsen, posted several laps in the 2mins 30’s finishing with a best time of 2mins 37.50secs. Coming into this race with hopes of confirming a top three place in the European Championship, the Australian team will be delighted with their day’s work. Barry-Cotter said: "The flatter water suits the boat as it is easier to handle. We can keep the throttle on and glide around the corners. Now we are seeing what the raceboat can really do."

Mohammad Al Mehairi and Jean-Marc Sanchez, Victory 1, went third quickest, with a time of 2mins 39.45secs. With just seven points between themselves and their team-mates in the European Championship standings, they will need to find some extra speed in order to challenge for the wins they need to overtake Fazza. "It is completely different from any previous race we have had on a lake. The water is very sticky," said Sanchez, "Nadir and Arif are a very good partnership. The important thing is that Victory team win the title, but if we have a chance we will take it."

An excellent showing by Giorgioffshore, producing their best practice session of the season and the best performance by an Italian team, in front of the partisan home crowd, saw Nicola Giorgi and Kurt Olsen, get quicker and quicker to shave seconds of their lap-times to finish fourth fastest with 2mins 45.36secs on their final lap. "We have made some improvements on the engines. We ran as fast as we can, but there is still more to come from Kurt and myself," commented Giorgi.

A blown piston limited the all-Norwegian pairing of Jorn Tandberg and Kolbjorn Selmer in Welmax to only one lap. The time of 2mins 45.90secs only good enough for fifth place, with Tandberg, the defending European Champion, knowing he will significantly have to improve on performance to defend his crown.

It was a frustrating return for Giovanni Carpitella and Christian Rivolta, in C.A.M., who had a difficult session in their heavy boat. With the flat conditions not ideal, the all-Italian pairing had to make do with the sixth fastest time, with the all-Italian team of Giampaolo Montavoci and Roberto Lo Piano, making his Class 1 debut in Foresti & Suardi-Roscioli Hotels, seventh fastest, ahead of Victory 77’s Mohammed Al Marri and Abdullah Al Mehairbi.

ITALIAN GRAND PRIX - FIRST OFFICIAL PRACTICE
1. Fazza - A Al Zafeen (UAE) / N Bin Hendi (UAE) - 02.35,51
2. Maritimo 11 - T Barry-Cotter (AUS) / PV Nilsen (NOR) - 02.37,50
3. Victory 1 - M Al Mehairi (UAE) / JM Sanchez (FRA) - 02.39,45
4. Giorgioffshore - K Olsen (NOR) / N Giorgi (ITA) - 02.45,36
5. Welmax - K Selmer (NOR) / J Tandberg (NOR) - 02.45,90
6. C.A.M. C Rivolta (ITA) / G Carpitella (ITA) - 02.48,03
7. Foresti & Suardi - Roscioli Hotels - R Lo Piano (ITA) / G Montavoci (ITA) - 02.49,36
8. Victory 77 - A Al Mehairbi (UAE) / M Al Marri (UAE) - 02.52,65

Sean H
10-03-2009, 12:13 PM
VICTORY 1 HANDED FIRST PLACE AFTER PENALTY COSTS MARITIMO RACE WIN
Saturday, 3 October, STRESA (Italy): A post-race long-lap time penalty cost Maritimo their maiden Class 1 victory, handing the win to Victory 1 and with it the lead in the European and World Championship standings. An already enthralling Race 1 of the Italian Grand Prix, round 4 of the UIM-WPPA Class 1 World Powerboat Championship, saw championship leaders Fazza suffer engine problems on lap five and finish seventh.

Victory 1’s Mohammed Al Mehairi and Jean-Marc Sanchez who finished the race in second place were sensationally handed the race win and moved a step closer to the European title. "It is not a good feeling to win like this, but I have lost a few in my career," said Sanchez, "We thought we had Maritimo at the start, then I looked out of my mirror and they were right there. They had the inside line and got to the turn first."

After crossing the line in first place, to have the victory snatched away from them with a post-race penalty frustrated Maritimo’s Tom Barry-Cotter and Pal Nilsen. A brilliant start-lap and Fazza’s problems followed by a near perfect drive, should have given the Australian-Norwegian pairing their first Class 1 win, but instead they found themselves on the second step of the podium following the penalty handed to them. "To lose it after getting a great start and matching the pace of the Victory boats, then finishing first leaves a real bitter taste in our mouths," fumed Barry-Cotter.

A first podium finish for Victory 77’s pairing of Mohammed Al Marri and Abdullah Al Mehairbi, saw them fighting for position with Giorgioffshore and coming out on top. In only their third race in the cockpit together it betters their fourth place from the last race. "It feels good to be back on the podium," said the 2008 World Champion, "and for me and Abdullah it shows that we are gelling."

A good performance by Giorgioffshore’s Nicola Giorgi and Kurt Olsen saw the Italian team take fourth place. After starting in sixth, they had a battle with Victory 77 off the start lap, trading places over the first two laps. "I’m happy with the result, we had a good fight with 77 and were pushing as hard as we could but we just couldn’t catch them," said Giorgi, before adding, "It is good to be the top Italian team in Class 1’s return to Italy."

Further down the field, C.A.M.’s Giovanni Carpitella and Christian Rivolta came fifth ahead of Foresti & Suardi-Roscioli Hotels’ Giampaolo Montavoci and Roberto Lo Piano. Welmax’s Jorn Tandberg and Kolbjorn Selmer had a fuel pump problem that ended their race on lap seven.

Fazza 3’s Arif Al Zafeen and Nadir Bin Hendi’s engine problem has dropped them to third and second in the European and World Championship standings respectively. "It is very frustrating and I’m very angry," commented Bin Hendi, "but that is racing for you, you never know what is going to happen."

ITALIAN GRAND PRIX – race 1
1. Victory 1 - M Al Mehairi (UAE) / JM Sanchez (FRA) - 29.01,76
2. Maritimo 11 - T Barry-Cotter (AUS) / PV Nilsen (NOR) + 00.08,60
3. Victory 77 - A Al Mehairbi (UAE) / M Al Marri (UAE) + 01.18,96
4. Giorgioffshore - K Olsen (NOR) / N Giorgi (ITA) + 01.27,35
5. C.A.M. - C Rivolta (ITA) / G Carpitella (ITA) + 01.51,34
6. Foresti & Suardi-Roscioli Hotels - R Lo Piano (ITA) / G Montavoci (ITA) + 03.09,70
7. Welmax - K Selmer (NOR) / J Tandberg (NOR) + 4 laps
8. Fazza 3 - A Al Zafeen (UAE) / N Bin Hendi (UAE) DNF

CLASS 1 WORLD POWERBOAT CHAMPIONSHIP – after race 1, round 4 of 6
1. Victory 1 - 76pts 2. Fazza - 71pts 3. Maritimo 11 - 55pts 4. Welmax - 38pts 5= Foresti & Suardi-Roscioli Hotels - 32pts 5= Giorgioffshore - 32pts 7. Victory 77 - 21pts 8. C.A.M. - 16pts 9. Qatar 96 - 15pts 10. Maritimo 12 - 12pts 11. Qatar 95 - 4pts
(World Championship points include bonus points allocated to teams for running engines for two consecutive races - one point, per engine, per race)

CLASS 1 EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIP – after race 1, round 3 of 3
1. Victory 1 - 60pts 2. Maritimo 11 - 51pts 3. Fazza - 47pts 4. Welmax - 32pts 5= Foresti & Suardi-Roscioli Hotels - 23pts 5= Giorgioffshore - 23pts 7. Victory 77 - 21pts 8. Maritimo 12 - 12pts 9. C.A.M. 7pts

WeaponX
10-05-2009, 10:09 PM
What's up Walter Cronkite ??:sifone:

Sean H
10-20-2009, 10:22 PM
somebody has to post something in here ever so often

Ratickle
10-20-2009, 10:25 PM
somebody has to post something in here ever so often

And we thank you.....:26: :03: :26: